• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafy

Spoilers so far:

54a61c5e67a8f18295a6320944048751.jpg

Final Spoiler for today:

Looks like this is it folks, at least for today

I want everyone to know that they just physically dug a giant card out of the sand sculptured because the rope that would have collapsed it broke.

Lucario

alright so the audio came back

they had a prop set-piece tomb that was tied to strings, bolas was gonna pull 'em to reveal a card

the strings failed and broke

they spent a while tearing it apart by hand

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The only company capable of stopping the spoilers of upcoming set: Wizards of the Coast.

Santiako

Thanks for posting the cards Rafy.

Hour of Revelation looks really good for EDH.

The Scorpion God is weird since red has nothing to do with -1-1 counters.

Son1x

The picture seems to be missing the green desert cycle land.

The breaks are terrible this coverage. I seem to recall the last GP being a lot better.

Red gets spell-wither, so it isn't too odd.

Interesting how the bug gods have forgotten names and act differently.

Rafy

You are welcome. I was watching the stream, and thought I might as well post them. It was actually a good distraction from all the cringe on stream.

Cmon that's lame.

Nah makes perfect sense. They're killed, erased from memory, and kept on ice for when Bolas wants to bring them out. They presumably had names at one point but nobody knows 'em.

It was actually a good distraction from all the cringe on stream.

They just need to never do shit like this on stream. Everyone who's actually at the GP having fun is gonna love it, but it doesn't translate well to the dorks-at-home audience.

OnPoint

Nah makes perfect sense. They're killed, erased from memory, and kept on ice for when Bolas wants to bring them out. They presumably had names at one point but nobody knows 'em.
It can still make sense and be lame. Even if it's flavorful, it sounds cheesy and dumb.

Knowing now that small sets are dead and there's just one more ever after this, BTW, it's more obvious than ever why they'd do that. I don't even think the stuff they're doing in this set is bad in any way (and it's actually pretty cool that they're seriously wrecking the place, and the heroes, up) but it's just so obvious how much less exciting it is than a whole new thing. Mechanically eternalize feels like the only thing they couldn't have just done in one set, and that's a fairly small tweak overall.

It can still make sense and be lame. Even if it's flavorful, it sounds cheesy and dumb.

i mean it's literally just a description of what the card is

ash321

The mono cycle land is lame,

Lightning strike is too good now

Afflict mechanic is really cool

Eternalize seem pretty sweet in limited

The new god name is really dumb, with this naming scheme the locust god will be name The Locust God lol

It is very interesting how all of the "___'s defeat" can target Bolas himself.

Hour of Revelation is 100% going to be a card that sees play, at least in EDH. I'm not sure about it's luck in Modern, but who knows with the format (Seriously, it could be the exact tool that something wants, it could be a dud, who knows).

Eternalize cards are playable in Commander for their base color, right? So like the cat can be played in Brimaz, despite making a black dude.

44c140eee6883739f9a3ba9160e8804c.png

Someone's been playing Monster Hunter

That's so true. Was it the XX Monster who has the shell made of discarded weapons? I know Gog had a similar deal going on, but that just screams MH.

(I'd kill for an unofficial MH MtG set)

More thoughts:

• Eternalize is a reasonable tweak to Embalm, albeit not a thrilling one, but they really need to find a way to link these mechanics together without calling them shit like "Megamorph."
  • Exerting creatures for tap abilities is obvious, and good, design space, though it also makes it even weirder to do this just as a block mechanic.
  • How many majorr matchups in either Modern or Standard put a lot of permanents on the board? Hour of Revelation seems insane against any kind of token strategy but it's not really gonna matter when your opponent only needs like three cards to kill you.

traveler

Not Wario
Mechanically, I think exert is the biggest hit of the block, even if it needs some tuning to slow down the draft environment. I hope to see it return someday.

Mechanically, I think exert is the biggest hit of the block, even if it needs some tuning to slow down the draft environment. I hope to see it return someday.

If it was just used on attacking, I could accept it as a set mechanic, but now that we see it's being used on tap abilities, it's very strange that it isn't just a regular game term.

Supast4r

And probably flail his arms around everytime he shouts. It keeps surprising me how weird his voice is, it's one of the highest pitched male voices I've ever heard in my life.

What's the pile shuffle rule? I also don't get what's so wrong with pile shuffling the first time. You do it randomly and make uneven heaps, and then mash shuffle them randomly back together and then do a couple of mash shuffles after it.
You can only pile shuffle once per round. If you pile shuffle twice then they can call a judge to give you a warning on delaying time. I only said that because at my shop last week someone unforced that on me every round and he was playing burn versus faeries which will never have time issues.

Ashodin

I also really like exert as well.

Love the new god, that's a good EDH commander. Might see play in Standard, iono.

Hour of Revelation is SICK.

Updated the OP, including with an additional Scorpion King GIF. Speaking of which, spaces between the cards, good? Bad?

And new Invocation.
bloodmoon.jpg

Zocano

That blood moon art is prettyyyyyyy good. Too bad I think the frame is kinda gnarly.

Though it is one of the less cluttered ones.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
More thoughts:

• Eternalize is a reasonable tweak to Embalm, albeit not a thrilling one, but they really need to find a way to link these mechanics together without calling them shit like "Megamorph."
  • Exerting creatures for tap abilities is obvious, and good, design space, though it also makes it even weirder to do this just as a block mechanic.
  • How many majorr matchups in either Modern or Standard put a lot of permanents on the board? Hour of Revelation seems insane against any kind of token strategy but it's not really gonna matter when your opponent only needs like three cards to kill you.

Hour of Revelation's cost reduction ability is trinket text in Standard. It's just there for EDH.

For Standard, this is a Planar Cleansing reprint.

It could potentially be relevant against Annointed Procession decks and the like, but it's a pretty edge case thing in competitive formats, yeah.

Angry Grimace

Why do the Invocations have to waste such good art

For the most part the art is kind of whatever, some of the good art is stuck to cards that suck and are worthless, and the art actually looks smaller than even normal cards. Invocations suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom