• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BO Wkd 06•16-18•17 - Queen is dethroned, all hail McQueen, ScarJo roughed up

Oregano

I want Justin Lin to do a Star Wars movie.

That's actually the only one that seems appropriate. What I remember of
Advent Children
was already pretty close to a Snyder film.

It was really Sucker Punch that cemented it for me, some of those dream sequences are just spot on.

kswiston

Awesome legs for WW and it looks like Cars did what it needed to do.

Happy Father's day to kswiss, cooter and all of the other BO GAF dad's!!

(Seriously, who else is a dad on here??)

Thanks. I hope you enjoyed your Father's Day too. I got up at 5am and went fishing with my dad.

Happy Father's Day to the other dads here.

Worldwide Updates: (kswiston isn't here)

Beauty and the Beast - $1.253B
The Fate of the Furious - $1.237B

Pirates of the Caribbean 5 - $650M
Wonder Woman - $572M ($39.5M intl we)
The Mummy - $295.6M

Thanks for filling in.

I like to point out when I am wrong, and like many people, I was underselling Wonder Woman. This week, mostly overseas. This weekend was very strong overseas (as well as domestic). Wonder Woman has a good shot at $750M now. If Japan likes this film more than they typically like Superhero things, $775M is not out of the question.

3N16MA

Banned
Thanks. I hope you enjoyed your Father's Day too. I got up at 5am and went fishing with my dad.

Happy Father's Day to the other dads here.

Thanks for filling in.

I like to point out when I am wrong, and like many people, I was underselling Wonder Woman. This week, mostly overseas. This weekend was very strong overseas (as well as domestic). Wonder Woman has a good shot at $750M now. If Japan likes this film more than they typically like Superhero things, $775M is not out of the question.

I prefer not to point out when I'm wrong. Too many posts would be required.

kswiston

It was phenomenal and good word of mouth is getting people to the box office.

According to internet forum regulation 37: sub-section 12, Wonder Woman is now popular enough that it is overrated mediocrity. It will hold this classification for 25 years, after which point it will transition to being an all-time classic, released during the best era of cinema.

See every event blockbuster in history for precedence.

bunbun777

Speaking of It comes at night....

Gf wanted to go, I knew nothing at all except it was a "scary movie", and that it was rated around 70-80%, seemed ok to me.

My oh my I actually felt ripped off. Not angry but like a little gnome picked my pockets while I was watching. Not only were there audible "that's it?"'s but someone ironically clapped after lol.

Should have followed the dog...

Watching Age of Extinction to get pumped for TF5. Only saw it once before. Dear God.

For starters: On the one hand, this and the Teds show that Marky Mark has an unbelievable talent acting alongside CG characters. On the other hand, Marky Mark as Cade Yeager is one of the most ridiculous characters ever. He throws himself into the role though and it's adorable.

Despite all the many, many problems I'm still enjoying it. It's just so damn out there.

kswiston

So with Rough Night (and The Mummy), we done talking about star power, Hollywood?

2017's domestic box office is doing its best to show how little star power means. Dwayne Johnson? Nope. Tom Cruise? Nope. Scarjo? Nope x2.

Speaking of It comes at night....

Gf wanted to go, I knew nothing at all except it was a "scary movie", and that it was rated around 70-80%, seemed ok to me.

My oh my I actually felt ripped off. Not angry but like a little gnome picked my pockets while I was watching. Not only were there audible "that's it?"'s but someone ironically clapped after lol.

Should have followed the dog...

It Comes at Night marketed itself as a post-apocalyptic film with possible zombies, but it was basically The Road in a Cabin
with a less happy ending

kitzkozan

People really think it's a phenomenal movie?

Dunno about phenomenal as it's average rating is 7.5 / 10, but it's definitively inspiring for most women and it explain it's incredible staying power as it's catching up each day over the frontloaded flicks that were BvS, MOS and Suicide Squad.

According to internet forum regulation 37: sub-section 12, Wonder Woman is now popular enough that it is overrated mediocrity. It will hold this classification for 25 years, after which point it will transition to being an all-time classic, released during the best era of cinema.

That's a very concise and astute observation. I completely agree.

You can't have a popular, well loved movie without the edge bros chiming in for their super cool take on how we're all sheep and that only they can see the 'truth'.

I get this pov, I just dont' understand why it's the automatic go-to.

Instead of looking at it as "they got a Wonder Woman and a Deadpool so right that they ran over the rest of the box-office that year and became general phenomenons" it's "They only got their Ws because the RIGHTFUL winners got cheated by bad filmmakers"

Thank you

Hello! Yes, welcome to July 18th, 2017. Wonder Woman has been out for 3 weeks and is critically acclaimed, and on a historic box office run.

You can find refreshments and snacks next to the giant cardboard cutout of Gal Gadot.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Watching Age of Extinction to get pumped for TF5. Only saw it once before. Dear God.

For starters: On the one hand, this and the Teds show that Marky Mark has an unbelievable talent acting alongside CG characters. On the other hand, Marky Mark as Cade Yeager is one of the most ridiculous characters ever. He throws himself into the role though and it's adorable.

Despite all the many, many problems I'm still enjoying it. It's just so damn out there.

Yeah, as bad as AoE is, I still enjoyed Wahlberg in that movie.

Z6WE6pr.gif

I live and teach in a college town so you can imagine all the hipsters around, including some of my friends and colleagues. My favorite example of this phenomenon was watching Frozen go from "this movie will be remembered for centuries" to "this movie will be remembered for centuries for being shit" in real time over the theatrical run of that movie.

Slayven

I live and teach in a college town so you can imagine all the hipsters around, including my some of my friends and colleagues. My favorite example of this phenomenon was watching Frozen go from "this movie will be remembered for centuries" to "this movie will be remembered for centuries for being shit" in real time over the theatrical run of that movie.

This is always amazing to watch, always makes you feel like the last sane man in a mad world

If you can't see why the movie is having such phenomenal word of mouth, then you're looking at it in a bubble and ignoring the greater story here and what the movie represents.

No, I'm looking at it as a piece of cinema. Evaluating its qualities as a movie, I found it to be very middling.

Boke1879

WW is going to be one of those movies people "remember"

Like how we think of Batman Begins, The first Iron man, Avengers, Superman (78)

kswiston

No, I'm looking at it as a piece of cinema. Evaluating its qualities as a movie, I found it to be very middling.

Blockbusters in general are going to be fairly safe films that appeal to as many people as possible.

I don't think that Wonder Woman is a perfect film, and it isn't a film that I would throw on my personal list of best blockbusters. But I do think that it has very likeable characters, and offers a brand of escapism that is very appealing at this moment in time. Look at how many resist avatars we have on this website. Wonder Woman fights for what she believes in and doesn't take shit from anyone, even if that anyone is the entire world. It's what a ton of people wish they could do right now.

Superhero films in general seem to have been missing that for some time. Marvel's stuff is light hearted, but most of those origin films are all about overcoming personal flaws and learning to be a hero. Diana is already a hero. The only thing she was missing was the opportunity to act.

kitzkozan

This is irrelevant, as it's a movie which is the equivalent of Richard Donner Superman for the female audience in 2017. Logan is a better movie than Wonder Woman or Guardians 2 from a technical standpoint imo, but it's not as fun or inspiring as WW or GOTG 2 and it's reflected by it's bo performance.

Several people in the WW thread have heard women talking about it as being empowering and inspiring as they were sitting in the theater, which is one reason which explains it's incredible staying power. Sam Raimi Spider Man was fairly formulaic, but it also showed incredible legs back in 2002 since it was fun and brought to the silver screen the most iconic Marvel superhero at the time (and benefited from Attack of the clones being what it was :p).

Ridley327

Watts doesn't give a fuck. It's the only thing that makes sense.

It's weird that she's basically on the same career path as an actress that won an Oscar in a slow year, yet she's got no Oscar. She's still a great talent, but some of the roles she's been picking recently... yeah, she might want to invest in some stock or something to reduce the need to take on so many jobs on so many dubious projects.

Top Bottom