• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Let's have a Dolan thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
ROWOf.jpg

Black-Box

I feel you have to have a really low IQ to like this.

I also believe that this meme is only popular because 99.9% of the people who like it, just want to look cool

I feel you have to have a really low IQ to like this.

I also believe that this meme is only popular because 99.9% of the people who like it, just want to look cool
Not to toot my own horn, but I go to Dartmouth and love these. My friends who go to school with me do as well. While I'd rather not assert that going to a good school is directly correlated with having a high IQ (which is really an antiquated measure of "intelligence" that compartmentalizes and pigeonholes only one particular subset of analytical, intellectual thought and fails to even accurately serve as a barometer of that form of intelligence), I'd also prefer that you not make sweeping generalizations about a person's intelligence based simply off of their comedic preferences.

In the interest of levity:
ijzO86wt7jWx.jpg

Davidion

There's a really strange and near unexplainable charm to some of the Dolan comics. I think it started a little slow but some of the variants, particularly the gooby pls shit, is hilarious.

Go absurdism!

Quick

Banned
Dolan's a guilty pleasure of mine.

More importantly, I fucking hate this "le" thing. LE FUCK THAT LE SHIT.

RevDM

Banned
Not to toot my own horn, but I go to Dartmouth and love these. My friends who go to school with me do as well. While I'd rather not assert that going to a good school is directly correlated with having a high IQ (which is really an antiquated measure of "intelligence" that compartmentalizes and pigeonholes only one particular subset of analytical, intellectual thought and fails to even accurately serve as a barometer of that form of intelligence), I'd also prefer that you not make sweeping generalizations about a person's intelligence based simply off of their comedic preferences.

In the interest of levity:
ijzO86wt7jWx.jpg

Lol you think you're smart because you go to Dartmouth. Dartmouth is like the special needs of the ivy, it's even worse than Cornell.

shuri

Banned
The Cancer Gooby made me laugh for like 2 minutes straight. It's just the way 'Goofy' is draw so horribly

blamite

This is the worst meme ever and I feel dumber and less funny for having been exposed to it.

That said, the TF2 one above is tolerable.

D.Lo

It's not really the jokes that are funny with Dolan, it's what it represents - the simultaneous evolution and devolution of language and meaning in the meme sphere. It's the Monty Python of memes, a sense of the ridiculous created by exaggerating what's already being done to crazy proportions. It just happenned that this outlet was with poorly drawn Disney characters.

Rage comics got overtaken by mundane real life activities being depicted as observational comedy. Witness the watering down of Me Gusta from what was originally meant to mean 'disgusting pleasure' (things like enjoying smelling farts) to mean pleasure of any sort, it became just another 'fuck yeah' type response. Stuff like Spiderpman had to be created to fill the void of the original Me Gusta face's meaning. Troll took off because of great Troll physics jokes, and now has been used just to denote 'asshole' as often as not.

And it all became too clean. All those traced celebrities, kids stating the obvious over and over, too many panels, boring politically correct content...

Dolan's broken, inconsistent art (stolen from a Dutch board originally if I remember correctly?), completely childish broken English, and over the top violence and sex were originally counterpoints to the swamp of meaningless Rage. Witness also 'Monkey Face!' a few weeks ago, which was a parody of the way lower-rung sites trace over anything 4chan puts out there and calls it a Rage face.

Of course Dolan has also become what it paradies, as someone said last page. And there are now a few face-value meme elements to it that are quite funny, Gooby Plz with the main Dolan face is a great punchline.

It's not really the jokes that are funny with Dolan, it's what it represents - the simultaneous evolution and devolution of language and meaning in the meme sphere. It's the Monty Python of memes, a sense of the ridiculous created by exaggerating what's already being done to crazy proportions. It just happenned that this outlet was with poorly drawn Disney characters.

Rage comics got overtaken by mundane real life activities being depicted as observational comedy. Witness the watering down of Me Gusta from what was originally meant to mean 'disgusting pleasure' (things like enjoying smelling farts) to mean pleasure of any sort, it became just another 'fuck yeah' type response. Stuff like Spiderpman had to be created to fill the void of the original Me Gusta face's meaning. Troll took off because of great Troll physics jokes, and now has been used just to denote 'asshole' as often as not.

And it all became too clean. All those traced celebrities, kids stating the obvious over and over, too many panels, boring politically correct content...

Dolan's broken, inconsistent art (stolen from a Dutch board originally if I remember correctly?), completely childish broken English, and over the top violence and sex were originally counterpoints to the swamp of meaningless Rage. Witness also 'Monkey Face!' a few weeks ago, which was a parody of the way lower-rung sites trace over anything 4chan puts out there and calls it a Rage face.

Of course Dolan has also become what it paradies, as someone said last page. And there are now a few face-value meme elements to it that are quite funny, Gooby Plz with the main Dolan face is a great punchline.

Yeah, I'll stick to penny arcade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom