• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF
  • Like

RSP
Member
(11-08-2017, 08:27 AM)
RSP's Avatar
Ok - Just finished it last night.

I was about to quit after EP1, then watched 2,3 and 4 in one go. 5 & 6 in another night and then finally 7,8 and 9.

I didn't mind episode 7. It was a bit weird, but I thought it was OK. Also I wasn't aware of episode 9, so while watching episode 8, I was constantly thinking "how the hell will this end".

Best bits:
- Seeing the cast grow up
- New characters Max & Bob
- Posessed-Will
- Snowball dance
- That 80's vibe. I need more!

OK bits:
- Eleven's mom. So she's adopted by Hopper now, but she knows she has a mom, who by the way has been fighting to get her back? How does that work.
- Max's step brother. Don't even remember his name. Smoking while working out. Oh the edge. The part with Mrs. Wheeler was cool though. They should have let him smoke in the shower.

Ugh bits:
- Bob :(
- Why did Hopper have a box of confidential information stacked underneath the floor of his dad's cabin?
- Wynoda has a couple of those "ok, watch me act" moments. Seems fake sometimes.

Edit:
I also tried watching "Beyond Stranger Things" but that was the ultimate cringefest for me.
mantidor
Member
(11-08-2017, 03:19 PM)
mantidor's Avatar

Originally Posted by RSP

- Eleven's mom. So she's adopted by Hopper now, but she knows she has a mom, who by the way has been fighting to get her back? How does that work.

Hmm this was pretty clear, she is catatonic, not even Ele could get to her, she is stucked in that loop of memories.
Kimawolf
Member
(11-08-2017, 03:29 PM)

Originally Posted by mantidor

Hmm this was pretty clear, she is catatonic, not even Ele could get to her, she is stucked in that loop of memories.

Yeah her physical brain is broken.

In this series I believe the physical brain is a receiver for consciousness. Since her physical brain was broken she is stuck. How i see it anyhow.
t-storm
Member
(11-08-2017, 05:32 PM)
t-storm's Avatar

Originally Posted by RSP

Edit:
I also tried watching "Beyond Stranger Things" but that was the ultimate cringefest for me.

So that means you wouldn't like this Stranger Things / Perfect Strangers mashup then? XD

Hereís the Stranger Things-Perfect Strangers mashup you didnít know you needed
WinterIsComing
Member
(11-13-2017, 11:10 AM)
WinterIsComing's Avatar
Finally finished it this weekend.

I liked it, even though season 1 was WAY better. In season 1 the big baddie got to die, even though we now know it wasn't that big of a baddie. In this season... well, he was there, untouched, from the 1st scene of the 1st episode, until the last scene of the last episode.

They better think of something new for the next season, because while people might be ok with more of the same one time, more of the same two times will definitely not be so easy to accept. And by something new, please no more Kali. I'm hoping she gets her spinoff so i can ignore it and not have her messing around with season 3.
120v
Member
(11-13-2017, 11:44 AM)

Originally Posted by WinterIsComing

please no more Kali. I'm hoping she gets her spinoff so i can ignore it and not have her messing around with season 3.

kind of implicit she has a big role to play next season (or after).

disappointment with episode 8 (or was it 7? whichever had kali and the lame 80s gang) was unanimous and the duffer bros are receptive to criticism so they'll probably retool that story arc
NutJobJim
(11-13-2017, 12:37 PM)
NutJobJim's Avatar
I really liked the start of the season but started to feel like I'd seen enough Stranger Things by the end. I think they need to mix it up a lot more in the third season to prevent the formula from getting stale.

El/Jane looked incredibly cheesy hovering in the air fighting the demon thing at the end as well. Looked really cheap and took me out of the scene a lot.

Overall I'd say it was a solid 7/10 but I fear for the future of the show if they don't make some bigger changes next time around.
t-storm
Member
(11-13-2017, 01:29 PM)
t-storm's Avatar
Has it been answered where all of the demadogs came from?

Originally Posted by 120v

kind of implicit she has a big role to play next season (or after).

Exactly. There's still so many unanswered questions: what happened to Papa, what was he trying to do...

I think the monster from S2 is still (hopefully) not the real evil but there's still something greater, more menacing out there.

And yes Kali will be important to helping Eleven confronting Eleven and finding all of those answers out.

Also:

Grinchy
Member
(11-13-2017, 01:29 PM)
Grinchy's Avatar

Originally Posted by NutJobJim

I really liked the start of the season but started to feel like I'd seen enough Stranger Things by the end.

I think that about sums up my feelings in one sentence. I didn't dislike it, but it was one episode too long and didn't fulfill me as well as the first season.
Da-Kid
Member
(11-13-2017, 03:06 PM)
Da-Kid's Avatar
Is it me or is Steve one of the rare characters that start off as an huge asshole to being one of the most sympathetic, likeable characters? There's some real character development there.

I like the combo of him and the group of kids.
Djungelfrukt
Member
(11-13-2017, 03:55 PM)
Djungelfrukt's Avatar
Not a very good season. I mean, the map was just stupid, and I really donít like the way they wrote Eleven. Not even gonna start on the whole Chicago plotline.
heckmanimation
Member
(11-13-2017, 04:42 PM)
heckmanimation's Avatar
enjoyed it for the most part, a bit below s1 for sure though.

season felt completely different and forced. not what i signed up for.

dont want to go in depth or detail my thoughts on the characters, but i hope s3 doesnt continue down this rabbit hole of "feature creep", feels like they blew their load in s1, but tried too hard for s2. its getting a bit absurd/complex for what it needs to be. i would say less is more.
Da-Kid
Member
(11-13-2017, 04:45 PM)
Da-Kid's Avatar
I think this season was just as good as the first. I liked episode 7, it was a nice change of pace.
MaKTaiL
Member
(11-13-2017, 05:36 PM)
MaKTaiL's Avatar

Originally Posted by Da-Kid

I think this season was just as good as the first. I liked episode 7, it was a nice change of pace.

Same, I loved this season and can't wait for 3.
t-storm
Member
(11-13-2017, 07:08 PM)
t-storm's Avatar

Originally Posted by Da-Kid

Is it me or is Steve one of the rare characters that start off as an huge asshole to being one of the most sympathetic, likeable characters? There's some real character development there.

I like the combo of him and the group of kids.

.

aaronsan
Member
(11-13-2017, 08:57 PM)
aaronsan's Avatar

Originally Posted by Kimawolf

i think it was definitely racism. When he first saw her talking to him, he said "there are some things you learn when you're older, and hanging out with that kind is one of them." or something to that effect.

As to why they were avoiding being obvious with him being a racist? People can be racist and not say "hey im a nazi". I think they did it just right as I know people who had parents/siblings just like that he would not say they were racist, but it was SUPER OBVIOUS.

How in the hell did I miss that quote??? Not saying you're wrong, but wow. Because I was thinking racism too, but never saw a sign of it.

Guess I need to go back. And of course, it does make sense, given the times when this show is set.

Because racism is totally dead now, of course, but back then.... XD
aaronsan
Member
(11-13-2017, 09:01 PM)
aaronsan's Avatar

Originally Posted by TacoMasters

Bob's death was predictable as hell, but it still got me pretty badly when he died. He was a likable character (with no flaws whatsoever), so it's quite unfortunate that he died. It was really cruel when the Duffer Brothers decided to add a scene in which they pan out on a shot of the demo-dogs feasting on Bob's corpse; like seriously, that made me feel worse.

Wait wait wait but wasn't it specifically Bob's TERRIBLE advice to Will that got him possessed? Or are we all taking that eventuality as given, no matter what Will did?
Da-Kid
Member
(11-13-2017, 09:06 PM)
Da-Kid's Avatar

Originally Posted by aaronsan

Wait wait wait but wasn't it specifically Bob's TERRIBLE advice to Will that got him possessed? Or are we all taking that eventuality as given, no matter what Will did?

Yes, but he had no idea what Will was actually going through, he was talking about a dream.
t-storm
Member
(11-14-2017, 01:33 AM)
t-storm's Avatar
I like these retro-inspired book covers made for each episode:

NeptunePirate
Member
(11-14-2017, 02:22 AM)
NeptunePirate's Avatar

Originally Posted by t-storm

I like these retro-inspired book covers made for each episode:

Those are amazing.
BlindMan94
Junior Member
(11-14-2017, 05:33 PM)
Doing a standalone episode like 7 wasn't an inherently bad idea, but having so little happen in it that they could have done the same storyline in about 5 minutes in the background of another episode made it feel pointless.
PabloBolivar
Banned
(11-14-2017, 09:51 PM)

Originally Posted by BlindMan94

Doing a standalone episode like 7 wasn't an inherently bad idea, but having so little happen in it that they could have done the same storyline in about 5 minutes in the background of another episode made it feel pointless.

I think it relied too heavily on 80's nostalgia.
demon
I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
(11-14-2017, 10:17 PM)
demon's Avatar

Originally Posted by aaronsan

Wait wait wait but wasn't it specifically Bob's TERRIBLE advice to Will that got him possessed? Or are we all taking that eventuality as given, no matter what Will did?

Bob was talking about actual dreams. The hell did he know. Also, it seemed like Will getting possessed by that thing was pretty much inevitable, I mean he had no control over those upside-down 'episodes' happening anyway, eventually it was gonna happen.
KiLLaDeZo
Member
(11-14-2017, 10:33 PM)
KiLLaDeZo's Avatar
Roll on season 3!
kunonabi
Member
(11-14-2017, 11:07 PM)
kunonabi's Avatar

Originally Posted by PabloBolivar

I think it relied too heavily on 80's nostalgia.

Funny since they did a really poor of selling it as being such. Kali in particular could of jumped out of any awful abc family show from the last decade or so.
The God
Member
(11-14-2017, 11:43 PM)
I thought it was kinda weird that Mike acted like a shithead to Hopper for hiding Eleven, when Mike did the same thing a year ago. It's like he should understand Hopper's decisions better than anyone.
I guess his reaction was just him being an irrational kid
PabloBolivar
Banned
(11-14-2017, 11:50 PM)

Originally Posted by kunonabi

Funny since they did a really poor of selling it as being such. Kali in particular could of jumped out of any awful abc family show from the last decade or so.

Kali maybe, but not the rest and not the setting with the graffiti, the burning trash barrel and the music.
The whole season 2 relied too heavily on 80's nostalgia in my opinion.
kunonabi
Member
(11-14-2017, 11:52 PM)
kunonabi's Avatar

Originally Posted by The God

I thought it was kinda weird that Mike acted like a shithead to Hopper for hiding Eleven, when Mike did the same thing a year ago. It's like he should understand Hopper's decisions better than anyone.
I guess his reaction was just him being an irrational kid

Mike was just an asshole to everyone the whole season outside of Will and Eleven.
aaronsan
Member
(11-15-2017, 01:52 PM)
aaronsan's Avatar

Originally Posted by demon

Bob was talking about actual dreams. The hell did he know. Also, it seemed like Will getting possessed by that thing was pretty much inevitable, I mean he had no control over those upside-down 'episodes' happening anyway, eventually it was gonna happen.

Well, quite. I thought he was talking about bullies, so perhaps he gets more of a pass. This is one of those "needed to happen for the plot things that annoy me" that I just need to accept, I know.
BANGS
Member
(11-15-2017, 02:01 PM)
BANGS's Avatar
I'm glad it's slower. And full of better people in general...
M3Freak
Member
(11-15-2017, 02:06 PM)

Originally Posted by ShipTheCheese

Threads like this would have had 50 pages by now...

GAF is dead.

Give it time. It'll return.
GodParticle
Member
(Yesterday, 08:46 AM)
GodParticle's Avatar
Finally saw this and it was pretty bad. S1 wasn't all that great, but I love the '80s. That side trip episode was so terrible and out of place. New ginger is an awful actress. Plot didn't really go anywhere. Surprise, big mystery monster is back to do...whatever giant shadowy monsters do

Thread Tools