• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U Speculation thread IV: Photoshop rumors and image memes

Status
Not open for further replies.

HylianTom

Banned
Someone tried to break into the Best Buy during my Wii camp out. Alarm went off and everything.

No Wiis were harmed.

Good - that's the most important part. :p

I have my choice of two GameStops this time around, and am still debating which one to go for. One is very, very close - about six blocks away from my house.. but it's in a rough neighborhood.

The other one is four miles away. Parking there is not free. But it's in an incredibly wonderful neighborhood, and they always make a point to put out their Nintendo displays.

Choices..

HylianTom

Banned
All right, I'm going to speculate.

Here's a secret feature Nintendo may be able to implement.

Stereo scopic head visor.

- Wii U is already streaming video.
- Nintendo has said the Wii U will support 3D.
- Nintendo has been experimenting with 3D & augmented reality on 3DS.
- Wii U has full motion controls with the Wii remote and nun chuck.

All that's really needed control wise is for the visor to enable head tracking. The Wii remote and nun-chuck are perfect for this type of control for this type of gameplay. The streaming video resolution of the screen appears to be adequate for viewing in stereo 3D. Nintendo could also potentially get the screens, gyroscopes, processors and other components needed at a price affordable for consumers.

Man.. you wanna talk about a megaton? I can already hear the gaming media rooting for it to end-up being Virtual Boy 2, but consumers would definitely be intrigued.

botty

Banned
So whose going to grab the name "Mario" for Nintendo Network? That is of course if it is up and running day one of Wii U Launch.

Linkhero1

I slept outside a Walmart for a Wii. First, last, and only time I'll be doing that.

I feel ya. Just gonna preorder it and just walk in and pick it up. No need for this nonsense again.

So whose going to grab the name "Mario" for Nintendo Network? That is of course if it is up and running day one of Wii U Launch.

I was thinking something similar the other day. I call dibs on Captain Falcon ;)

HylianTom

Banned
But the Wii U will ship with a feather duster

*cricket chirps*

That.. makes no sense.
my.chinese.parents.used.to.beat.me.with.a.feather.duster

(okay.. I'm slow.. now it does)

I feel ya. Just gonna preorder it and just walk in and pick it up. No need for this nonsense again.
I'm wondering if the supply is going to be a bit tighter this time around.
I'd imagine that manufacturing a uPad is going to be a bit more involved/difficult than a Wiimote.

Aguila

#ICONIC
Hmm, I've never been to any of night launches (games/consoles) in my town but I am curious as to how many Nintendo fans there are so I could see myself doing this for the Wii U.

Oh, and Demon Reggie is now haunting my Boo.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Considering the number of creepy gamers/nerds/geeks out there, im glad i never slept or camped outside a store for a new console.

Preordering and picking it up the next day without worries after a nice breakfast is the only way to go.

HylianTom

Banned
Hmm, I've never been to any of night launches (games/consoles) in my town but I am curious as to how many Nintendo fans there are so I could see myself doing this for the Wii U.

Oh, and Demon Reggie is now haunting my Boo.

You have to do it at least once in your lifetime, just so that you have a launch camping story.

The fun thing about this one? With the proliferation of tablets and smartphones, we're going to be more connected to each other than we ever have been for a launch. It used to be where you'd have to go home and file your report on the bulletin board or forum of your choice, but now you can sit there in line on your iPad and tap-tap-tap away.

I'm looking forward to live reports of creepy gamers/nerds/geeks, line fighting, and break-in attempts.

(edit: and I just died again. Damn ice. Don't duck on thin ice in Kid Icarus, folks!)

Linkhero1

=
I'm wondering if the supply is going to be a bit tighter this time around.
I'd imagine that manufacturing a uPad is going to be a bit more involved/difficult than a Wiimote.

Depends on the demand. Demand most likely will be high considering they're aiming for launch before black Friday. That accompanying manufacturing makes me think it will be a bit more tighter. Just gonna preorder the Wii U and relax.

Aguila

#ICONIC
You have to do it at least once in your lifetime, just so that you have a launch camping story.

The fun thing about this one? With the proliferation of tablets and smartphones, we're going to be more connected to each other than we ever have been for a launch. It used to be where you'd have to go home and file your report on the bulletin board or forum of your choice, but now you can sit there in line on your iPad and tap-tap-tap away.

I'm looking forward to live reports of creepy gamers/nerds/geeks, line fighting, and break-in attempts.

Yeah, if it's my only time doing it, I would want it to be for the Wii U. The thing is, I don't know if I'll be the only one in line X) There is only 1 or 2 people that I personally know who are Nintendo fans. My 3DS streetpasses give me hope, though, that their just might be a few people waiting with me if I do decide to go.

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
Not this NintendoOn shit again...

The difference is that what was before an idea by someone is now a real possibility. The Wii U will already have this technology built in. All that's needed is the visor. Everything else is in place.

Man.. you wanna talk about a megaton? I can already hear the gaming media rooting for it to end-up being Virtual Boy 2, but consumers would definitely be intrigued.

Yes well, the idea is that not every game will use it. The whole idea behind the tablet is to get traditional games on it - easy ports. The tablet serves as a secondary function for easily navigating the menus. Basically Nintendo is going after the hardcore gamer and Apple crowd with the tablet.

A visor could truly be a third pillar. They could essentially make every game that opts out of the tablet in favor of the Wii remote & nun-chuck to have visor support by default. Enabling head tracking support is the only real compatability issue I see with this.

Anth0ny

I'd like to pick one up at a midnight event this time around, but it I have to camp out again, so be it.

Camp outs are the shit. I played Tetris DS all night at Wii launch. So fun.

The difference is that what was before an idea by someone is now a real possibility. The Wii U will already have this technology built in. All that's needed is the visor. Everything else is in place.

There's a point here. The were initial rumours of a touchable surface on the "Revolution" controller that aren't too far removed from what we're getting now, for instance.

HylianTom

Banned
Yes well, the idea is that not every game will use it. The whole idea behind the tablet is to get traditional games on it - easy ports. The tablet serves as a secondary function for easily navigating the menus. Basically Nintendo is going after the hardcore gamer and Apple crowd with the tablet.

A visor could truly be a third pillar. They could essentially make every game that opts out of the tablet in favor of the Wii remote & nun-chuck to have visor support by default. Enabling head tracking support is the only real compatibility issue I see with this.

I love this idea. Nintendo likes to talk about wanting to change gaming, to bring it out of the TV and into the living room, and this would be a good logical progression from the Wii and the uPad.

I fear that it might be expensive though. And that most AAA games we'd see with the visor would just be coming from Nintendo, with third parties more reticent. But something tells me that they'd be worth it - imagine an epic Zelda experience!

And I'll bet that I'd end-up having more video gaming dreams. :)

{I'm loving these gifs. Especially when we end-up seeing them around the forum and unsuspecting folks are shocked, haha..}

HylianTom

Banned
Bwahaha...now I just need to learn how to make gifs :p

Same here. I have a list of TV shows, movies, and games that have slim-to-no chance of ever having gifs made from them. And I love how communication-via-gifs has risen to comedic prominence.

edit:
Anyone up for a challenge? Reggify this!
IgorZoom.gif

smh

I can't believe you guys are Nintendo fans with these gifs

they are not at all endearing you guys are Nintendo Trolls wearing Nintendo sheep swag to blend in until you post those damn images

MadOdorMachine

No additional functions
There's a point here. The were initial rumours of a touchable surface on the "Revolution" controller that aren't too far removed from what we're getting now, for instance.

Yes. I remember something along the lines of "With DS you can touch, with Revolution, you can feel."

There are all kinds of rumors floating around out there about the Wii U, but this is a possibility. Maybe it could even include a heart rate sensor. It would really only take two tiny screens at a combined resolution that Wii U is already streaming to equate to an 8o" tv viewed from 10'. If they wanted to they could add gyros for head tracking and streaming audio. This is all technology that's either already in the Wii U or could be easily implemented. Nintendo could potentially put a visor out for less than $100.

What would it take for you guys to NOT buy a new Nintendo console? Hard for me to envision such a scenario personally.

A lackluster launch with no heavy hitting AAA first party game. I skipped the 3DS launch with zero regrets and would've waited until 3DLand's release in November if OoT 3D had been pushed past June. I seriously wouldn't be an Ambassador if it weren't for my love for OoT. If they push Mario into mid-late 2013 for Wii I'll be very tempted to skip launch again. If Pikmin 3 is there still a decent chance for getting me, but if they delay Mario and don't have Metroid (maybe possible, who knows what Retro has been cooking on?) or a Zelda (lol) title it's gonna be a close decision budget wise. They really need to prove to me they're serious with all the talk about learning from their 3DS launch mistakes. I'm just sick in general of their willingness to shaft Mario fans at launch which has been their trend since GC.

Just shy of 47 posts per hour.

It's times like these that make me wish that GAF had a record-keeping function of some sort. I know that NPD threads from years past used to move so quickly that you'd refresh and see that it went from Page 1 to Page 3 - with 100 threads per page.

But for sustained, long-term activity.. I'm wondering if anything really compares.

Here is some output from the script I tossed together in the last forty-five minutes. It looks at this thread and tells you how long it took to finish each page.

When I have more time on my hand, I may be able to do the inverse and have it work out, for instance, the number of posts per day (or per hour) through the life of a thread. Tired, though…

Page 1 lasted 13 minutes
Page 2 lasted 18 minutes
Page 3 lasted 24 minutes
Page 4 lasted 25 minutes
Page 5 lasted 30 minutes
Page 6 lasted 17 minutes
Page 7 lasted 18 minutes
Page 8 lasted 24 minutes
Page 9 lasted 54 minutes
Page 10 lasted 52 minutes
Page 11 lasted 40 minutes
Page 12 lasted 30 minutes
Page 13 lasted 22 minutes
Page 14 lasted 24 minutes
Page 15 lasted 62 minutes
Page 16 lasted 130 minutes
Page 17 lasted 189 minutes
Page 18 lasted 198 minutes
Page 19 lasted 50 minutes
Page 20 lasted 42 minutes
Page 21 lasted 64 minutes
Page 22 lasted 61 minutes
Page 23 lasted 60 minutes
Page 24 lasted 48 minutes
Page 25 lasted 72 minutes
Page 26 lasted 46 minutes
Page 27 lasted 31 minutes
Page 28 lasted 47 minutes

NB: It actually fails when you reach the current day, because I programmed it to parse years in the "2012-01-23, 09:30 PM" format, not when it just says "Today".

NB: I haven't checked any of it.

And for Thread 3:

Page 1 lasted 11 minutes
Page 2 lasted 12 minutes
Page 3 lasted 14 minutes
Page 4 lasted 17 minutes
Page 5 lasted 14 minutes
Page 6 lasted 27 minutes
Page 7 lasted 23 minutes
Page 8 lasted 17 minutes
Page 9 lasted 24 minutes
Page 10 lasted 25 minutes
Page 11 lasted 44 minutes
Page 12 lasted 52 minutes
Page 13 lasted 43 minutes
Page 14 lasted 47 minutes
Page 15 lasted 67 minutes
Page 16 lasted 79 minutes
Page 17 lasted 53 minutes

Hmm, it cuts out after that, but I know page 18 could not have been from yesterday or today. Oh, well, back to the drawing board!

edit: made the units more useful!

I'd like to pick one up at a midnight event this time around, but it I have to camp out again, so be it.

Camp outs are the shit. I played Tetris DS all night at Wii launch. So fun.
I've sworn myself off of physically going to stores wherever possible starting a few months ago so if I get this I'm gonna be one of those online ordering people.

HylianTom

Banned
You are incredible, GPW!

So the fastest-moving page - excepting the first few at the beginning - was Page 13, when we were having a hot and heavy discussion about our favorite Mario games and naming conventions.

Man, we're predictable!

the thing is I bet NeoGAF has gotten big enough for Nintendo to lurk in these threads but I wonder how they feel about this gifs?

I don't think I would feel anything positive from them... I would avoid coming here like I avoid 4Chan after seeing a few of them

the thing is I bet NeoGAF has gotten big enough for Nintendo to lurk in these threads but I wonder how they feel about this gifs?

I don't think I would feel anything positive from them... I would avoid coming here like I avoid 4Chan after seeing a few of them

They fucking love it.

Iwata would.....................wait for it.....................laughs

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Or maybe they actually laugh at all the ridiculousness you know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom