• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japanese Sales: 2012 Jul 02 - Jul 08

maybe first two days?
How is that week going to be anyway, sales-wise? Full seven days or just two or three? If it's seven days then you might be right. 600k would be more indicated

2 days and even then it will do more than 400k

I get the feeling Platinum with either shutter soon, or they will be contracted to make more Metal Gear Rising games. Their situation seems pretty desperate at this point.

mclem

"Warner the Best"

IT8Kj.jpg
?

I'm sorry but this is the unsung success story of the Wii in my opinion. Compared to how this did in the rest of the word, selling this much is freaking insane. I don't think there's anyway Nintendo bundles Nintendo Land in Japan

Tried it out on my parents over Christmas; went down an absolute storm. Tried moving onto Mario Party afterwards, and they hated it; too complicated.

Fabrik

Banned
2 days and even then it will do more than 400k

I get the feeling Platinum with either shutter soon, or they will be contracted to make more Metal Gear Rising games. Their situation seems pretty desperate at this point.

I'm not worried. They have two games signed with major publishers (Konami and Nintendo).

Takao

Banned
Uh...

I understand what you're trying to say here, man, but... No.

The sales were great for the fact it was a brand new property. The sales were not great because of the game's budget. I don't think Capcom's displeased with Dragon's Dogma Japanese sales.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Uh...

I understand what you're trying to say here, man, but... No.

I think it's right, instead (speaking of Japan)
DD sold 449.008 on PS3 'til last week and it debuted with 302.040 copies sold (over 83% of sell-through) so it means that it was: the best debuting third party new IP on the home console market in Japan over the last decade (were'nt there comparisong with Devil May Cry and other few titles able to sold so good as debut in the last years?) and it was able to sold out the first initial shipment (pushing Capcom to distribute a second one)

Overseas, it failed in my opinion, especially because they planned it originally as a possible MH for the West (without online or even multiplayer? oh capcom...) but in Japan did very well.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
The sales were great for the fact it was a brand new property. The sales were not great because of the game's budget. I don't think Capcom's displeased with Dragon's Dogma Japanese sales.
Bomba is mostly an assessment of the financial results - brand new propertys sell less because they rarely recieve such high budgets and dev-time. No or low return on investment = bomba. At least for me, but this expectations are also a gauge the success.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

I know that's what you're saying, but if it's a bomba in any way, it's because of sales.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Truthfully I think Dragons Dogma was an experiment for the next Monster Hunter console based engine. Cept they cant afford to ruin the brand name with an experiment, hence Dragons Dogma was born.

To see how people would react to it first release it as a SP game then see all the feedback in regards to the gameplay / technical elements.

With the second title take all of said feedback and worked on netcode for multiplay to the second title.

From there if it all works out well move monster hunter into the mix and presto. Evolution of the series without risking the IP in the process.

Parakeetman

What's the next reasonably high-profile PSV release?

I can name off a bunch for the US, but for Japan not as much.

Not exactly high profile but there is the Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki Evolution.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF68oKLBD8s

Soul Sacrifice I suppose you can consider high-profile due to the people behind it and it being a new IP for the VITA. Currently slated for winter 2012.

Hatsune Miku in 2012 though not sure if you consider this high profile.

Phantasy Star Online 2 in 2013.

test_account

XP-39C²
It is still a Third Party IP though.
Fair enough. Is it a brand new game btw?

124, with an average rating of 4.87/5. It didn't make it into the top 10 download sales for the week.

Dragon's Dogma comes to mind.
I know that the director of Dragon's Dogma said 1 million in Japan, but he also said 10 million worldwide (not sure if that was just a hope or really being serious). Not sure why he had such high expectations when similar typish games like Dark/Demons Souls and Skyrim sold under 500k each. But what did Capcom expect from it in Japan? I know it is 1.5 million worldwide (unfortunately for Capcom, the sales in the west have been pretty weak for Dragon's Dogma).

But even with Dragon's Dogma, that is three games in like 2 years? I'm not sure that these 3 games undersold that much that they made a huge impact on the total sales of all PS3 games.

This would be where the term "lowered expectations" comes into play.
Sure, but where does the line go? Do we still say lowered expections to Mario games because SMB1 sold 6 million copies? How far back does it goes from "lowered expectations" to "sales are good". It is all relative to something else.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
How exactly are they going to do that, though? Their fate is almost entirely in the hands of third parties.
First step would be to get Bamco to release God Eater 2 as a PSV exclusive. They could have Soul Sacrifice, PSO2 and GE2 on their system.

And the obligatory official price drop to 20k yen. I guess 2013 will be the year where PSP gets killed and Vita will try to retake that spot.

saichi

I can name off a bunch for the US, but for Japan not as much.

Not exactly high profile but there is the Legend of Heroes: Zero no Kiseki Evolution.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF68oKLBD8s

Soul Sacrifice I suppose you can consider high-profile due to the people behind it and it being a new IP for the VITA. Currently slated for winter 2012.

Hatsune Miku in 2012 though not sure if you consider this high profile.

Phantasy Star Online 2 in 2013.

Miku is probably the highest profile game out of the 4 you listed.

Hmm, if Soul Sacrifice is really the next one, that's disconcerting. That thing is months away.

next one would be Miku at end of August.

Parakeetman

Hmm, if Soul Sacrifice is really the next one, that's disconcerting. That thing is months away.

There really isnt anything "big" that is soon. Im guessing the TGS "should" have a lot of announcements. If not perhaps Gamescom will give us something new.

Btw if you can read Japanese this might give you a general idea of whats out there to "public" knowledge.

http://www.famitsu.com/review/schedule/psvita.html

---

Fair enough. Is it a brand new game btw?

While I know this wasnt directed at me and will apologize for the rudeness here answering in the place of someone else. Owning the game can say that it is a brand new game in the sense of new art, maps, cards, but things like the story itself seems to be generally the same formula that they have used in their previous culdcept titles. Along with characters that appear.

---

Miku is probably the highest profile game out of the 4 you listed.

Though seeing how the initial sales how the co-op specific games sold out at times, my guess is that the same might happen with Soul Sacrifice. Seeing that there is some sort of userbase within the VITA currently that has a "need" for co-op titles. At least thats the vibe Im getting from the situation on the ground as time has progressed through the VITAs lifespan here.

Alrus

Oh....well that blows my argument apart. I believe it still sold pretty well before it became bundled though =p

It did very well before bundling indeed. But it also did quite amazingly in mainland europe tbh, I don't really know why it "bombed" in the US, botched marketing or forced bundle with a wiimote I guess.

Top Bottom