• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atsushi Inaba annoyed on twitter, tells people truth about Revengeance clear-time

LiK

I remember being really confused when I played Madworld and it said my completion time was 3.5 hours, even though I knew I had played significantly longer than that. Seems like this is the same kind of counter.

reviewers said the same shit about Vanquish. i actually looked at a real clock instead of the playtime in the game. there's too many mandatory transitions that prevent them from beating it at the short times they posted.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I'm not sure why so many people are posting as though they didn't read/understand the OP.

Maybe this should have been bolded too?

What that means is if you replay a chapter for 10 hours, but you finally clear it in a time of 10 mins. Only 10 mins will be counted.

Then why not just tell people the total time played - ie. everything they have ever done in the game like cutscenes, all gameplay, every attempt etc - instead of having to waste time explaining all this shit on Twitter? He has no right to be annoyed when he's making us bend over backwards to work out how long his game is. It makes the whole thing seem like they are trying to cover something up. I mean it's like they went out their way to make this timer as obscure as they could.

That Platinum playtime counter is really fucking them up. Maybe they should have a separate timer for total game time in the save like Bayonetta.

LiK

Then why not just tell people the total time played - ie. everything they have ever done in the game like cutscenes, all gameplay, every attempt etc - instead of having to waste time explaining all this shit on Twitter? He has no right to be annoyed when he's making us bend over backwards to work out how long his game is. It makes the whole thing seem like they are trying to cover something up. I mean it's like they went out their way to make this timer as obscure as they could.

this is true. there should be a total play time counter at least.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
I give no fucks about length in character action games. Replay value is 100 times more important to me, specifically NG+ and mission/chapter select.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
In a serious response, here's how I crack it: There has not been a game by Platinum Games I haven't liked. One of the elements of their games I enjoy is that they know how to flesh-out a concept and keep it fresh and interesting. They know how to throw a lot of variation while retaining quality and building up on the games initial foundation and exploring it with creative and over-the-top gameplay scenarios.

Vanquish wasn't that long, but it was an excellent game that attributed to all of these features. I actually thought Bayonetta was pretty lengthy for what it was. I'd rather have that time be stuffed full of quality gameplay than I would for a game to try and artificially extend its playtime or take-part in lazy design decisions just to up the playtime. I trust Platinum completely when it comes to this.

Himself

When will Platinum learn to stuff their games full of half-assed side quests, pointlessly large and uninteresting open world space, and mindless bar-filling multiplayer in order to make people think they're getting their money's worth? Let's hope never. True gamers already know the deal.

DJIzana

I didn't know people were complaining about it to begin with. These type of games are never that long, what are we whining about here?

Unless there's no replayablity, which I'd be very surprised

My thinking EXACTLY.

Action games are more of a renter for me. You play through once and return it.

I don't think there's been action game made that I haven't replayed at least 3-4 times.

NG3 would be the only one but that got a lot of time in mission mode.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Yeah and Vanquish was only a 'four hour game' according to certain reviews. I'm not in the slightest bit worried about game length in this instance.

watershed

Banned

The timer is all about measuring a player's skill so its there for competition and comparison. Sure they could have put in a full playthrough timer as well but the are thinking about hardcore players first I suppose.

Then why not just tell people the total time played - ie. everything they have ever done in the game like cutscenes, all gameplay, every attempt etc - instead of having to waste time explaining all this shit on Twitter? He has no right to be annoyed when he's making us bend over backwards to work out how long his game is. It makes the whole thing seem like they are trying to cover something up.

What? No, the idea is this is basically an arcade game. It only keeps tracks of your best clear times. They want you to keep replaying the game/chapters for the best times possible, that's the entire point.

The more important question is why do people even care about how long the game is? Length of a game should never be the gauge of how good a game really is. I can understand complaining about lack of unlockables (the problem Vanquish had) but length? If the game is as good as Vanquish was, length is a non-issue. Its long enough to be good enough, doesn't overstay its welcome, and designed well enough that action fans will run through the game multiple times to get the fastest times.

Hypron

When will Platinum learn to stuff their games full of half-assed side quests, pointlessly large and uninteresting open world space, and mindless bar-filling multiplayer in order to make people think they're getting their money's worth? Let's hope never. True gamers already know the deal.

This.

remz

That five hour clear time had 59 deaths. So I guess the real clear time is probably double that at least.

la_briola

I want to up-vote you.

Paches

I give no fucks about length in character action games. Replay value is 100 times more important to me, specifically NG+ and mission/chapter select.

image.php

I completely agree :p

I love and hate this post at the same time because I know there is going to be someone out there who will be down on the game because it's not "PACKED WITH CONTENT!"

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
One question though, does this game have a bloody palace type mode or side missions?
Since I'm trying to keep relatively spoiler-free, I think VR Missions are structured like the Alfheim's in Bayonetta, they're hidden and you have to access them in-chapter. I'm not entirely clear how the VR Missions work in this game. Anyone better informed please correct if wrong.

joe2187

Banned
I love and hate this post at the same time because I know there is going to be someone out there who will be down on the game because it's not "PACKED WITH CONTENT!"

Bayonetta has tons of content that I'm still discovering, same with vanquish. Without any updates or DLC

Roubjon

Some people are so set on this dollar per hour mentality when it comes to games that they would rather eat the fattiest steak you can imagine at the all you can eat buffet located next to the local gas station than actually sit down and enjoy a tender and juicy piece of meat cooked just how you like it.

I don't get it.

Since I'm trying to keep relatively spoiler-free, I think VR Missions are structured like the Alfheim's in Bayonetta, they're hidden and you have to access them in-mission.

You unlock them by finding collectibles in the levels. Also the results screen does say "Total Play Time" which is misleading. Maybe it should have said "fastest play time". Regardless they are among my favorite developers right now and I want this game to do well. This sucks because its always some unforeseen crap that distracts from everything else. I just posted Inaba's tweet by the posting of the original results pic in question. :/

Who cares as long as there's a bunch of unlockable content + new game plus + harder difficulties that change the game. Vanquish was rightfully criticized for not having enough content at $60 (I still love the game) but it's too early to say with Metal Gear Rising.

What? No, the idea is this is basically an arcade game. It only keeps tracks of your best clear times. They want you to keep replaying the game/chapters for the best times possible, that's the entire point.

Then designate best clear times to a leaderboard or a separate comparison screen or something. At the end of a game, I want a proper total of how long the whole affair took - and then I want a breakdown of the fastest times later on when i'm replaying stuff for competitive purposes. These dudes can program an ultra complex action game in 60fps with physics and shit, I am sure they can handle this..

The more important question is why do people even care about how long the game is? Length of a game should never be the gauge of how good a game really is. I can understand complaining about lack of unlockables (the problem Vanquish had) but length? If the game is as good as Vanquish was, length is a non-issue. Its long enough to be good enough, doesn't overstay its welcome, and designed well enough that action fans will run through the game multiple times to get the fastest times.

$60.

I wish it wouldn't count time that way. I wish it would at least give us an option to see "total clear time" and "fastest time," or something.

wingz

It doesn't matter to me. If Vanquish is anything to go by, that 6-8 hours in gaming will be some of the best moments in gaming and probably be better than most 20-40 hour games that have too much filler in their games.

Normal sensationalist bullshit from gamers who for some reason like to spend their time complaining instead of actually playing games.

Wish more people could just enjoy their damn hobby.

Bayonetta has tons of content that I'm still discovering, same with vanquish. Without any updates or DLC

Oh, I know. I'm just referencing things like side quests and copious amounts of loot. A guy I worked with absolutely refused to play Vanquish because he claimed that it would be a waste of 3 hours, whereas he could play Mass Effect for 300 and "not be bored".

deim0s

Oh, I know. I'm just referencing things like side quests and copious amounts of loot. A guy I worked with absolutely refused to play Vanquish because he claimed that it would be a waste of 3 hours, whereas he could play Mass Effect for 300 and "not be bored".

You should really show him the right path.

Pachinko

Perfect length, I may actually be able to finish the game then. Sorry guys, I just don't have the patience to play a single videogame for more then 10 hours or so anymore. Well, play to completion that is. Also, isn't 5 hours or so about the same length as any previous metal gear title, especially when you take cutscenes away ?

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Does anyone really pay attention to total time in a game like this? This thing is made for replays. I wouldn't be surprised if some people put dozens of hours into it if it's good.

$60 for a short game that is fundamentally great and is infinitely re-playable is better than $60 for a game with an infinite amount of boring busywork like item fetching, travelling, and inconsequential side quests (i.e. Red Dead Redemption). I don't buy games for gameplay length and neither should you.

$60 for Vanquish is a bit harder to justify because there was nothing to really unlock. Metal Gear Rising appears to have VR Missions to play with.

I see no problem with that. People value different things in gaming. Me, I love long games that I can sink 30-80 hours into. maybe your friend just finds character action games boring. Lord knows I do.

$60 for a short game that is fundamentally great and is infinitely re-playable is better than $60 for a game with an infinite amount of boring busywork like item fetching, travelling, and inconsequential side quests (i.e. Red Dead Redemption). I don't buy games for gameplay length and neither should you.

$60 for Vanquish is a bit harder to justify because there was nothing to really unlock. Metal Gear Rising appears to have VR Missions to play with.

Reaplayability is subjective. Also, please don't tell me what games I should enjoy.

Instro

I don't understand why people would even care about this, some of the best games ever made are extremely short affairs. Another product of shit review sites.

People tried to pull this same shit with Bayonetta, too.

If you care at all about enjoying your games, your first time through will not be that short.

platinum are wasting too much time commenting on internet trolls. those guys aren't your audience. focus on giving us more behind the scene info and similar treats, please. that's time well spent.

yes.

platinum are wasting too much time commenting on internet trolls. those guys aren't your audience. focus on giving us more behind the scene info and similar treats, please. that's time well spent.

yes.

No, the internet perception can do so much damage to a game these days especially for a studio like Platinum. I think it's good they are active on Twitter and very vocal about their games.

Top Bottom