• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Atsushi Inaba annoyed on twitter, tells people truth about Revengeance clear-time

Riposte

KuGsj.gif

Too Japanese.

For a second there I thought this was a direct quote from an Arthur Gies review.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Yeah, this one data point doesn't give us any idea of the actual average length of a normal first play through. There's always going to be a person who's prime objective with a game is to beat it before everyone else and they race through the game to finish it first to show off what they did. The allure is greater if the game isn't available to the general public. Some would view it as the ultimate achievement to beat a game before anyone else could.

I still remember how a bunch of people were trying to convince everyone that Dishonored was a 4-hour long game right before it came out. After a bit of research, it was discovered that the claim was based entirely on one stream where the guy somehow got an early copy of the game and decided to try speed running his first play through, so he skipped all the dialogue and just sprinted forward and killed everyone he saw just so he could be first (and he had the stream as evidence to prove it). Point is, he played it differently than anyone else would because his objective while playing was different from everyone else's, but many just looked at the total playtime number and assumed that was what a normal player could expect.

I'd expect the game to be around 10 hours first time through. Platinum has never made especially long games, but they never have much filler in them either, which is the way I prefer games that I intend to replay. I'm much more likely to replay a 6-8 hour game with little filler (Vanquish or Bayonetta) than I am to replay a 20 hour game with a bunch of filler (Dead Space 3).

i haven't seen masses of "too short" complaints for revengeance before, that's why i don't think there ever was a false perception. you can power through many games in just a few hours if you know them in and out, that isn't new.

There hasn't been a chance for any kind of perception to form up until this point. Very rarely do we get definitive hour lengths of games from anyone other than the developer or marketing up until a week or two before release.

If the hour length of the first reported play through of a game is low, especially of a $60 SP-only game, it can quickly create the perception that the game doesn't have enough value or content to justify full price at the exact time when the most people are looking for information of a soon-to-be-released game and when PR is working their hardest to convince people that the game is a safe purchase on day 1.

Those kinds of perceptions have harmed may a game's sales this generation, fairly or not. And just because that perception hasn't formed yet doesn't mean that a negative perception won't form.

Rubius

Damn, that where you see that the Japanese language is really compact compared to the Western alphabet.
They can make a paragraph in a Tweet. We cant even say a full sentence.

Are idiots not reading the fact that it only tracks your fastest time per level?

If you apply that logic then every game has infinite gameplay. Seriously though, gameplay estimates are a dumb measure of game content. Hell I have played that terrible Risk Factions game for over 200 hours but blew through other games in a few hours and had no desire to revisit them. It is simply too subjective of a measurement tool to have any validity.

bumclot

smh...so much wrong with this post.
"Uh oh...

So too long, didn't read."
some how you read his post and still managed to come up with that.
Are idiots not reading the fact that it only tracks your fastest time per level?

Jesus...he figured it out on the first page already.

Guess I can't read... LOL oh well still day 1. Can't have this game be bombing like DmC.

mr_nothin

Banned
Jesus, everybody jumping on the 1st poster as if they dont get the joke....
What's so "omg you didnt read" about his post anyways?

I remember there are some games that have a game time clock running even if you're in the menus; that way, when you save it tells you that you played it for 10+ hours, even if the actual gameplay time is actually far less.

It's funny, though, this game is paying for the fact that it's being more honest about your actual gameplay time. I guess devs now have to realize its so easy for anyone to just tweet something bad about your game.

mr_nothin

Banned
I remember there are some games that have a game time clock running even if you're in the menus; that way, when you save it tells you that you played it for 10+ hours, even if the actual gameplay time is actually far less.

It's funny, though, this game is paying for the fact that it's being more honest about your actual gameplay time. I guess devs now have to realize its so easy for anyone to just tweet something bad about your game.

Well to be fair, there has been an uproar for a ton of games where the clear time shown was short...regardless of how the game gets that clear time. People see 5.5 hours and freakout, it doesnt matter what game it is or how it's counted.
This happens all the time and it's not unique to this game at all.

Shinta

Banned
I spent 2 hours just playing the demo and I never felt like I mastered it.

Think about that for a while.

Anyone who is a real action gaming fan already knows that you replay games like this many, many times over before you can master it. Then you replay it some more because you did master it.

Also PS3 has additional VR missions.

Tip for Platinum though, maybe include two times from now on. Include the total playtime and the fastest clear time side by side. Problem solved.

V_Arnold

This is madness.

The mere fact that he had to defend Rising shows how deep the issues are in some people's minds. Horrible.

1) Its genre pretty much guarantess replayability
2) Platinum Games's name pretty much guarantees replayability
3) The demo already showed the extent of what replays can actually do to your experience (enhance it, obviously)
4) ???
5) Let us complain about a clear screen!

WTF, seriously. What the fuck.
Obviously, I am pretty much expecting 2-3 hour speedruns after a few days/weeks. So what? The amount of practice it will take to do so will exceed ten times the amount for that, so if someone practices 30 hours with the game to run through it fast, then what does that 3 hour timer indicates? Certainly not the "length" of the game.

Will this shit repeat itself with Bayonetta 2? Where we already know how much CONTENT the first game had? Will someone see a "complete the game under 4 hours" achievement a month before release and freak out?

Tizoc

Hey if it has replayability does it matter if a playthrough is 5-6 hours long?
First playthrough you learn the game
2nd playthrough you get better at the game
3rd playthrough you get that 'feels good mang' when you beat the game and get Big Boss status

I Know I'll get far more than 5 hours out of this baby, but even if it were only a 5 hour gametime I'd still get it and love every second.

Nibel

A few hours for everybody who wants to finish this and move on to the next big game

A half eternity for the dedicated ones who want to master this game on highest difficulty, just like previous PG games

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Reviewers always moan about games that come with documents telling them important things about a game, but it looks like Platinum and Konami should have sent Inaba's tweets there compiled and blown up on an A2 poster for all the reviewers that can't perceive time for themselves.

Fabrik

Banned
Isn't the real total time you spent with the game displayed on your save file as well?
Why people don't post both?

Top Bottom