• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2017 Regular Season OT - 108 years in the making

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigAT

Lhw7Kbi.gif

SWEEEEEEEEEEP

Mets refused to trade the Yankees any players, but they gave away four wins in exchange for nothing.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Looks like Marlins are stuck with that ugly thing.

The kitschy home-run sculpture at Marlins Park can't be removed by Derek Jeter or anyone else who might buy the team, according to its owner: Miami-Dade County.

Standing 73 feet tall, the mechanical display sends marlins and flamingos whirring whenever the Marlins hit a home run. It was commissioned as part of Miami-Dade's Art in Public Places program, which requires construction of county buildings to include art as well. The sculpture by well-regarded pop artist Red Grooms is named ”Homer," cost $2.5 million and, like Marlins Park, belongs to Miami-Dade's government.

”The County commissioned and purchased the Home Run Sculpture with the public art funds generated by the ballpark project," Michael Spring, head of the county's cultural affairs arm, said in an email Thursday. It ”was designed specifically for this project and location and is permanently installed. It is not movable."

Could a new ownership group remove the sculpture? Yes, theoretically, but only if the Miami-Dade commission granted permission for its removal, Hernández said. But Spring, the cultural director, said Miami-Dade's current position is that the sculpture needs to be treated like the piece of valuable art that it is.

nnex

Neo Member
Statcast said it was only 440 ft, but I've never seen a ball hit where Tommy Pham just hit one. What a monster blast.

Edit: ughhh

RBH

The Atlanta Braves host the Reds this weekend, and Friday's and Saturday's games will celebrate Hank Aaron Heritage Weekend. Aaron is of course an inner circle baseball legend and a living national treasure. He's the face of the Braves franchise, and it's fitting they honor him with regularity. In addition to some pretty cool giveaways, the Braves will also don some Aaron-era threads for the games this weekend:
https://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/...ms-for-hank-aaron-heritage-weekend-are-sweet/

DHRjYSaV0AAN3y6.jpg:small

DHRjYSUVYAEbEm4.jpg:small

DHRjYSSUIAIscfH.jpg:small

Line_HTX

Is there any more boring a broadcast team than Astro TV? Watched a half inning and it feels like it's been an hour.

I missed this, but if you think thoughtful analysis and good synergy is boring, then I'm sorry. Kalas is a very welcoming replacement after Brown retired.

I missed this, but if you think thoughtful analysis and good synergy is boring, then I'm sorry. Kalas is a very welcoming replacement after Brown retired.

They did an entire half inning segment on ceremonial first pitches followed by a 5 minute story about one of the guys throwing out a ceremonial first pitch in Philadelphia. Then they panned the camera around the crowd and showed some kid eating cotton candy.

Thoughtful analysis and synergy lol.

Chris R

A damn shame the Mariners don't get to see those sweet looking jerseys :(

Also a shame I'll be away from home, making it hard to watch/see ATLs stadium :(

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
They did an entire half inning segment on ceremonial first pitches followed by a 5 minute story about one of the guys throwing out a ceremonial first pitch in Philadelphia. Then they panned the camera around the crowd and showed some kid eating cotton candy.

Thoughtful analysis and synergy lol.

They were talking about an 9 year old boy who wanted to be a member of the team for a day through the Make-a-Wish Foundation. He also threw out the first pitch.

THEN Todd Kalas goes on to talk about him and his brothers throwing out the first pitch in the first Phillies home game after his father Harry died back in 2009.

I don't think I care for the Royals broadcast team; they are middle of the road to me. Rex is just too much of a homer for me sometimes and his Rexisms can be pretty annoying. Physioc just keeps getting facts and names wrong all the time along with some plays sometimes... Ryan is pretty good.

My cousin is playing for the Blue Jays against the Cubs tomorrow... Wish him the best, but I don't know having to face the Cubs and pitching against Quintana, too... Not the best matchup for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom