• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

Robin64

Barely anyone I know, even in my super casual guild, has done specifically Heroic Dungeons. Usually when an achievement pops, they get both the Mythic and Heroic ones at the same time, sometimes even the Normal one too.

Fonds

Don't WQs, crafted gear and order hall rewards/upgrades make heroics largely obsolete? My characters generally hit heroics for all of a day before being geared enough to move beyond them.

That's generally why I say "Blizzard are weird" in regards to the topic. Gear progression is strange this time around.

It's weird in a sense that you outclass heroic dungeons quite soon.
Personally I like it that way though, since there are more ways to gear your character.

Dungeons -> Heroic Dungeons -> World Quests -> Mythic Dungeons -> Raids

Even though I agree that it's not as linear as it used to be, it changes things up and keeps gameplay fresh.

Shahadan

Heroic dungeons are obsolete anyway. 3 days after hitting 110 on my alt I'm 830 with no heroics done & having just spent 500g on gear (some 815 boots to replace the 770 ones I had).

So? People will still run them to gear themselves after hitting 110 and after that once a day for the AP or quests.
You have a daily reward in heroic dungeons (and quests) precisely so people have a reason to queue for them and help people actually gearing themselves.

So making them not worth it for half the population for the whole week is not a good idea for your game. I'm not sure why we even have this discussion.

Timewalking = bonus event, weekly quest with a reward, badges and shit for people late in the current gear level

Heroic Dungeons = actual relevant content regardless of what your experience is.

Maybe they'll upgrade the ilvl after a few patches but we're still at the start of the xpac, making timewalking gear stronger than the main dungeons is not the right thing to do, whether or not running heroics is worth it.

Edit: The elephant in the room in rather how they plan to keep heroic populated when we'll be on another tier. Upgrading the loot? I have absolutely no idea how they'll deal with that and I'm not sure they know either.

Tenebrous

You have a daily reward in heroic dungeons (and quests) precisely so people have a reason to queue for them and help people actually gearing themselves.

That reward isn't worth the effort without the CTA satchel up. The amount of AP it gives is a drop in the ocean for anyone who's put a bit of effort in at 110.

Edit: The elephant in the room in rather how they plan to keep heroic populated when we'll be on another tier. Upgrading the loot? I have absolutely no idea how they'll deal with that and I'm not sure they know either.

What's the need? They wouldn't have introduced Baleful gear in WoD if they wanted heroics to remain relevant. Shit, normal mythics probably won't be relevant in 6 months time.

Shahadan

What's the need? They wouldn't have introduced Baleful gear in WoD if they wanted heroics to remain relevant. Shit, normal mythics probably won't be relevant in 6 months time.

But that was different, they introduced a new difficulty mode for dungeons way late and they needed some easy way to bridge the large gap between heroics and those.

It's also why I was surprised they introduced mythic right at the start in Legion. I expect weird things after 7.2. Pulling another baleful thing would make the entire dungeon list useless. I'm not sure what they're planning. And by that time world quests will probably give way more powerful stuff :lol:

Maybe they just count on Mythic+ to fix the problem by itself but...

Lanrutcon

I think base Mythics are the new Heroics.

Someone sanity check my Legion impressions: Legion's heroics are easier than Warlords heroics, and base Legion Mythics are easier than Warlords mythics were.

Shahadan

Someone sanity check my Legion impressions: Legion's heroics are easier than Warlords heroics, and base Legion Mythics are easier than Warlords mythics were.

Yeah, and the even weirder thing imo is that trash packs are way harder than bosses.

Yeah, heroics honestly felt pointless this time out. I did a couple to get a few bits of gear after hitting 110 and then went straight to Mythic.
Agreed on both points. I'd say Mythic +4 feels around the same difficulty as some of the TBC and Cataclysm heroics, although difficult to truly compare due to better QoL and gameplay now, and also gearing is much easier than it was. I don't think any heroics have been as hard as when i first tried clearing out stuff like Shattered Halls or Auchenai Crypts.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Yeah, and the even weirder thing imo is that trash packs are way harder than bosses.

Doesn't help that a lot of the trash killing AOE abilities were either removed or drastically tuned down. Earthquake doesn't hit like it used to, Fire And Brimstone is gone, Sweeping Strikes isn't Sweeping Strikes anymore, lots of the AOE damage is 'natural' cleave damage like MM Hunters and Fire Mages.

Tenebrous

But that was different, they introduced a new difficulty mode for dungeons way late and they needed some easy way to bridge the large gap between heroics and those.

It's also why I was surprised they introduced mythic right at the start in Legion. I expect weird things after 7.2. Pulling another baleful thing would make the entire dungeon list useless. I'm not sure what they're planning. And by that time world quests will probably give way more powerful stuff :lol:

Maybe they just count on Mythic+ to fix the problem by itself but...

Well mythics were only really relevant because of warforging & the BoA trinkets. Without those, you were much better off just doing Ashran or flying around Tanaan for an hour or two.

I think you're right about Mythic+ being their big play, and it makes sense, given how it scales throughout the entire expansion. Warforging/titanforging also makes the other content relevant, I suppose.

Fonds

I think you're right about Mythic+ being their big play, and it makes sense, given how it scales throughout the entire expansion.

I honestly love this system. Best thing about the new Xpac imho and I think it'll save the longevity of this xpac cycle. It's like a diablo 3 progression system in WoW.
It just keeps on giving.

erawsd

I actually dont think that is weird. Theres some exceptions but, for the most part, 5man trash has generally harder than the bosses throughout the game's history.

I honestly love this system. Best thing about the new Xpac imho and I think it'll save the longevity of this xpac cycle. It's like a diablo 3 progression system in WoW.
It just keeps on giving.

I agree, Mythic+ i easily one of my favorite features they've ever added to the game. Hopefully, they'll continue to iterate on it with new dungeons and new affixes as the expac progresses.

Tenebrous

I asked before but I don't think I got an answer: Is there any way to remove the default auras? Things like the built in stagger display, the fire mage hot/hotter streak procs, etc.

It just keeps on giving.

I'm also a big fan, but I kinda regret not taking advantage of the +2 spamming. Would've been nice to get my artifact a bit further along, but for me it completely missed the point of the system. Glad they fixed it quick.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I just wish Blizzard would add the basic Mythic dungeons into the Dungeon Finder if they're as easy as people say. Just put an ilvl requirement of 830 or 840 and be done with it.

Robin64

What's the deal with legendaries once new raid tiers come out? Are they going to scale?

Kinda

CsWXWpTWcAAJpNX.jpg

erawsd

I just wish Blizzard would add the basic Mythic dungeons into the Dungeon Finder if they're as easy as people say. Just put an ilvl requirement of 830 or 840 and be done with it.

I suspect regular mythics are super easy because Blizzard wants to transition people back into premades without immediately scaring them off with something thats a big jump up from heroics.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I suspect regular mythics are super easy because Blizzard wants to transition people back into premades without immediately scaring them off with something thats a big jump up from heroics.

they arent "super easy", normals are super easy

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!

I think you're right. Mythic Dungeons are currently set up to be the gateway to non-random queue content, so they are keeping the difficulty fairly low. Hopefully someone who previously only did heroics and LFR will do a mythic or two, enjoy it, get a mythic + key, and want to pursue that as well.

ampere

145bAEL.jpg

BOLSTERED Seagull

9DjTHhf.jpg

You are fools to have come to this place!

The daily Artifact Power token is worth it easily. Once people are capped on Artifact Power? Maybe they'll add new traits, I'm not sure.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
fuck me, they do exist o_O

3IePszz.png

not the best one by any stretch but ill fucking take it at this point lol.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
At least it's an actual spec-specific one and not one the shitty generic amulet/ring.

ampere

fuck me, they do exist o_O

http://i.imgur.com/3IePszz.png[IMG]

not the best one by any stretch but ill fucking take it at this point lol.[/QUOTE]

Grats! I got one finally the other day

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/KeR11tg.png

(I'm oddly a windwalker with brewmaster OS in our raid now, but I still tank dungeons)

Rhaknar

What was the resource of your drop?

emissary cache. I had 3 saved up because I havent been doing them lately, and it dropped from the third one (I opened all 3 in a row)

Aha, apologies. Hope my monk gets one soon [:

its enchanted with the good stuff now tho, because I have chaos crystals coming out of my ass >_>

Magnus

Put me in the 'losing hope' camp for a legendary. I haven't done a lot of Mythic 5s at all yet (probably only 6 or 7 total, and only one of them was a +2), but I've done my emissary BS every day and tons of other PvE content and watched about 10 other legendaries get awarded in the guild so far.

Alas.

Rhaknar

hmm that legendary effect might actually be good tbh, the stacks go up very fast, up to 100%. Its a buff on YOU (the healer) so you dont lose it from switching targets.

it basically guarantees that Life Cocoon absorbs for 100% more, which makes it a ridiculous amount (about 2mill give or take)

ampere

I got my legendary from a Mythic +9, and it seems like most of the legendary drops in our guild are from Mythic+ runs.

Magnus

Our guild is pretty populous - over 20 online right now, and no one wants to do any Mythic 5s....it all goes down when I'm asleep after 11pm. Fuck.

WTB Alliance Mythic 5 buddies...

Magnus

Anecdotally, our 12 legendaries have come from:

3x Emissary Caches
6x Normal EN kills
3x Mythic 5 kills (none were + afaik)

Anoregon

I had most classes at or above 60 when Cata hit so there's a bunch of revamped zones I haven't done that many times. TBC and Wrath zones are what I dread, especially the starters. Would be great if they added scaling tech to those expansions so I could do whatever zones I wanted, I think I've only ever done Netherstorm and Shadowmoon Valley on one character.

I know some people have issues with the scaling, particularly how the scaled mobs make gathering and other activities annoying at cap, but I would love it if I could choose which expansion I wanted to start in. I haven't played Cata or MoP content and likely never will with how fast you out-level them both in the current set-up.

Top Bottom