• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi Kickstarts Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2.5D, backdash, 2018)

Danielsan

I'm not digging the art style and the price for a digital copy seems steep in an age of similar downloadable games. On the other hand, it's Iga. I'm conflicted.

oGKk7Zz.gif

LeleSocho

Banned
IGA + Yamane? FUCK YEAH!!

Kojima is missing but art looks decent enough

----reads is 2.5D----

NOOO IGAAA!!

Gi3BWnF.gif

We don't want this boring looking, colorless shit!!

We want this!!

Wh6r2wv.png

Beautiful detailed 2d sprite work!!

Is ok if is low res!!

I wanted so bad to back this, but now I can't.
This so much, so hyped and yet so incredibly disappointing...
Now I'm mad at the fact that i had hope for this project, all shattered.

The "backer achievements" section would make f2p mobile developers blush.

Have you looked at the rest of that?
These are just fun little goals for spreading the word. Nothing really substantial.

Edit: Can't link the image, bleh. Just scroll down a little further and it shows what the "achievements" will unlock.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The "backer achievements" section would make f2p mobile developers blush.

Gamification of everything... Really off-putting.

I'll definitely buy this once it comes out if impressions are good, but I don't think I'll be backing it. Another one of those campaigns where too little is in place for me to be confident its feasibility. Also, Inti Creates games all have a very "Capcom" feel to them, which is great, but I'm not sure if that's what I want in a spiritual successor to Symphony of the Night.

Hopefully it turns out all right!

Repost from the closed double thread:

I certainly like my games to look good, but to be quite honest, when I'm playing an Igavania/Metroidvania game, the dead last thing I care about is the art style. Gameplay/music/world/systems are all way more important to me.

I still play SOTN and the GBA titles to this day. Like once a year.

If you wanted a new Igavania and don't back this, I will come to your house and beat you with a whip.

Eusis

It is. 2.5D UE4 with custom shaders. Hopefully they go for something like Guilty Gear Xrd.
This is probably our most realistic hope, with the best hope being that it goes the style of BlazBlue with 3D backgrounds but 2D sprites. And I won't mind if that's what we get! Though it probably would convert a bit better to traditional 3D visuals than MN9 too.

The game would take 3-4 years to make at a much higher cost. You can't possibly expect Iga to round up some old guard pixel animation wizards and have the dev cycle required for that for only $1 Million.

As a low-res 2D project? several small KS projects already are doing this at less cost. Hell IGA created the game you quoted with a team of 10 people or so...

Tom_Cody

Can you upgrade tiers later? I know I at least want to go in for the $100 tier, but I might want to go all the way up to $300 for the signed box.

A-V-B

I'd love to back this, but there is absolutely no indication here that they can pull this off with a good 2.5d style.

I was burned on MN9. I want to see a gameplay mockup before I put any money in this.

EVH

Reading that lots of people complain about the art direction, hope they think about it.

Also i was expecting something more related to dracula and so on.

Maedhros

So

- 2D concept art that will probably put people's expectations too high
- Video produced by 2 Player Productions
- Developed by Inti Creates
- By video game producer who people praise a shitton for some reason
- Kickstarter started at a time where everyone hates what the publisher of the original franchise has become

Just saying, we've been through this before.

Not that it'll be a bad game, even Mighty No. 9 is decent (though disappointing). But don't set your expectations too high.
It just depend on the kind of shaders they'll be using. They could use some that make the game look more cartoony.

If they make it look like MN9, then we can protest. I'm backing this now based on the promise and to help the guy who made many games I liked in the past.

Even if the result ends being disappointing, for me, that's enough.

Kyuur

Yeah I'm sure a small team on a small budget can probably do that

Xrd was developed by 25 people. We have no idea how much funding these guys have once the kickstarter is funded, but it's definitely possible for them to achieve good results that look like art if that's their focus.

2.5D in UE4 sounds good to me. Guilty Gear Xrd looked incredible (even on UE3), and I can see it be used very effectively here. Producing a strictly 2D game is very time consuming and it will no doubt lead to sacrifices for the core structure of the game, as creating high quality 2D visuals (like Dragon's Crown, for instance) take a lot of work.

I'd personally wait until they have gameplay to show off, I won't name drop another game here but look what happened between kickstarter concept art and final.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Wow, look at this thing go. Something like $1000/minute at the moment. Could get funded day 1 at this rate.

In for a copy on PC.

BadWolf

As a low-res 2D project? several small KS projects already are doing this at less cost. Hell IGA created the game you quoted with a team of 10 people or so...

I love 2D but a beautiful looking 2.5D game will sell much better then low-res 2D imo.

I want this game to do well.

You actually just described Xrd. They only had four character modelers on the project.

I wasn't there, but a friend of mine who attended the tech panel for Xrd at GDC told me that they said their engine wouldn't really work very well with a big Action/Adventure game or RPG. I'm guessing the reason why it looks so good is that they're only dealing with small stages and 2 characters at a time.

Top Bottom