• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Koji Igarashi Kickstarts Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (2.5D, backdash, 2018)

CazTGG

The new Fire Emblem games have sold amazingly well and saved the franchise from the dustbin so it's really weird to complain about the stuff they did to save it. I mean would you rather have Fire Emblem the way it is today or no Fire Emblem at all?

Fire Emblem Awakening's success had nothing to do with "otaku pandering" (the more fan service-y art direction can be attributed to Kozaki and Kusakihara than any form of pandering) so much as it does with making the game more beginner friendly after Radiant Dawn's brutal difficulty killed the series on home consoles for a decade and putting together an actual marketing campaign in Europe and North America for the first time since Rekka No Ken's mediocre attempt with the now infamous Dorca poisoning "Trust No One" commercial. The fan service-y designs aren't necessarily out of place given the Castlevania series history of similarly tasteless designs but I can't imagine your average consumer will look at the character designs and be drawn to this game. If anything, I imagine it would turn them off from the game.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
which isn't a problem since this primarily is a game for Castlevania fans

a crowdfunded game even, one of the main benefits is being able to disregard mass appeal entirely

This is Castlevania for all intents and purposes. Hell, I'm half expecting Dracula to be the bad guy, they can use it. It's kinda great.

I know but a carbon copy artwork is what i expect from an indie developer that at best could hope to make a game that comes close to the original, not from the creator of the original game, from him i expect artworks that screams: "this will be even better than my previous work".

Top Bottom