• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Greenlight: 1000 games and counting, more Greenlit every few weeks

beril

I'm wondering how many of these will actually get on Steam. I've seen a few games with thousands of votes already and it still says they're at 0% necessary positive ratings. Seems like it's going to take a very long time for the ones who do make it to appear.

I don't think they've set any target for number of votes yet, as they're waiting to see what kind response the service gets in general

Also, unless I'm mistaken the only number you can see right now is how many people have favourited the game, not upvoted.

I don't think they've set any target for number of votes yet, as they're waiting to see what kind response the service gets in general

Also, unless I'm mistaken the only number you can see right now is how many people have favourited the game, not upvoted.

You're right, I mistook the Unique Visitors for Votes.

zulux21

correct there is no target yet, from the about page
How many votes does a game need to get selected?

It's going to change during the first few days/weeks since we don't know what kind of traffic to expect. Part of the drive for this system is the need for customers to help us prioritize which games they want to see made available on Steam. So the specific number of votes doesn't matter as much as relative interest in a game compared with other games in Steam Greenlight.

We're going to be reaching out to developers as we see their games getting traction regardless of whether they have achieved a specific number of votes or are sitting 1st or 2nd place at any given time. We are most interested in finding the games that people want, not requiring them to always hit a specific number of votes.

Mimir

It looks like there's now a target number of votes now. I see that Miasmata has 1% of the necessary votes, for example.

Edit: But as the quote above mentions, that target will probably be changing.

VandalD

Clearly there needs to be a Steam Greenlight Greenlight, where games are voted on eligibility to be on Steam Greenlight.

Orayn

I think it might be a good idea to have separate CHEERS and JEERS threads devoted to promoting the cool ideas and helping valve clean up the filth respectively.

Zia

It looks like there's now a target number of votes now. I see that Miasmata has 1% of the necessary votes, for example.

Edit: But as the quote above mentions, that target will probably be changing.

Ugh. The only things I've voted for that have a percentage are McPixel and Project Zomboid.

Democracy.

Lissar

Reluctant Member

I've seen one game with around 3,500 (Slender: Source) that was at 3%. Another had just over 800 and was at 1%.

Odrion

Banned
Ugh. The only things I've voted for that have a percentage are McPixel and Project Zomboid.

Democracy.
Yeeeeeeeah. I can see Greenlight becoming old and neglected eventually, I can't see too many people go on if they think their vote means diddly squat.

Great idea about adding suggested pricing. I will totally update the game profile with suggested pricing as soon as they allow it!

GAFers keep posting your projects, please! It's good to see what we've been up to :)

VALIS

I've been downvoting as much as upvoting (get your iphone-level anime shit outta here) and one of the types I'm consistently downvoting (and reporting) are works in progress.

Here's part of the description for one game I'm about to report and give a big fat thumbs down to:

Game Currently under Development, and Being changed frequently.

(Photos provided are of early conceptual builds and do not represent the game in its current or final build.)

Why the fuck do people submit this shit? Go tell your mom your vague idea for a video game if you want some positive feedback. Argh.

Fireblend

Banned
Hey guys, check out Chuck's Challenge by some friends of mine*. The game looks pretty solid, and in the vein of some other puzzle games on Steam (reminds me of TwoTribe games). Plus it has a level editor!

*: Actually, they worked on parts of the game, not the whole thing :p

Not really a curse since Steam's normal submission process is still in place.

Yeah, but now there's that much more of a possibility of crap getting through.

The upside is you don't have a limited number of votes.

Another else have the search function not working?

A few questions about features I thought would be there but seem to be missing / hard to find:

1. Are there per-game forums? I seem to remember that each game would have its own discussion area (beyond just the comment area on the game's page).

2. How are games that are concept / alpha / beta distinguished from those that are seeking votes to be published on Steam? I had hoped to put my game out there for feedback and a convenient way to get updates out to testers but it is alpha and as such is missing features, sports programmer art, and lacks polish. I'd hate to have people think it is a finished game and have it down-voted at this stage in its development.

3. How does one download playable versions of the games? I had thought that part of the vetting practice would be more than a video, four screenshots, and a feature list.

Orayn

I'm under the impression that Valve still has the last word on anything that goes through Greenlight.

Also, it really depends on what you mean by "crap." Are you talking about blatant copyright infringement, or just games you don't care for? Because there's already plenty of the latter on Steam, I'm sure, and it won't stop getting added in the near future.

I think Steam has a clause on the agreement stating that they can remove any title anytime they want even if it has all the votes possible.

They had something similar with Community Choice voting during Summer Sale.

beril

Yeah, I bet everyone now realizes how crazy their job must have been before

Also looks like Air Buccaneers is on there!

It's the first day and hundreds of previously denied games are pouring in all at once, along with a bunch of fake ones trying to exploit the new service. The pace has already slowed down quite a bit after a few hours and will probably slow down consideably after a few days. Spread out over a couple of months it wouldn't have seemed like such an extreme number of games. The old system could probably have been managed better with the proper resources spent on examining the applications, and it remains to be seen if this system will solve the issues in the long run.

Blizzard

Banned
I've been downvoting as much as upvoting (get your iphone-level anime shit outta here) and one of the types I'm consistently downvoting (and reporting) are works in progress.

Here's part of the description for one game I'm about to report and give a big fat thumbs down to:

Why the fuck do people submit this shit? Go tell your mom your vague idea for a video game if you want some positive feedback. Argh.
From the FAQ:

Can I post my game concept or early builds?
Absolutely! We encourage you to post information about your game as early in the development process as you are comfortable with. Greenlight will let you define whether you are posting your game as a concept/early build or as a playable game that is nearing completion.

We ask that you only define your game as 'playable game' if you have a playable build that demonstrates the gameplay mechanics and at least one level of your game. Otherwise, please classify your submission as 'concept' until its far enough along that the community can reasonably evaluate the mechanics, scope, and style of your game. Either way, you will probably get great feedback and a good start in building a community of fans around your game.
Presumably Valve is trying to provide people the ability to get community feedback for Minecraft-esque development. In practice that may not work, but it seems to me that posting early concepts doesn't go against what Valve directly said people could do. *shrug*

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Someone put up Towing Simulator. I have no idea why Astragon games aren't all on Steam already.

They should have a "Most Voted" and a "New" section.

Yeah.

We can't discover anything new if they had a Most Voted section. Because nobody would look at new and the already popular games will still be popular. Greenlight must be about finding the hidden gems. If they submit any.

Haunted

so much SHIT already, my god.

Some serious culling needed, here's hoping the community will curate this well.

Zia

It appears that the pages are randomizing properly now. Hopefully some good stuff that I had a hard time finding just cycling through will now filter to the top.

1-D_FTW

Whoever was doing this veting process before is a damn hero.

Hilarious because it's true. Even when there were only 30 games listed, this was my immediate reaction. I retract any questioning statements I ever made (well, minus the Bad Rats comments), because when there's so much absolute garbage, it'd be easy to have a short fuse with something.

Hinomura

The fakes and the copyright infringements are annoying, I hope Valve find a solution (at least a temporary ban to cool down some hot heads).

Thumbs up for now (didn't see everything yet):
- Gunman Clive
- Oniken
- Rot Gut
- Afterfall InSanity Extended (pretty atmospheric survival/fps which I've never heard of, review here)
- Bleed
- Little Racers STREET
- A Walk in the Dark
- Project Zomboid
- Secrets of Grindea
- Miasmata
- Project Giana
- Dino Run SE
- Syder Arcade
- McPixel
- Organ Trail: Director's Cut

I've seen a few games I'd define total crap (hackneyed idea and terribad "art") but I don't feel to punish the authors with a Thumb Down :/

Top Bottom