• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reign of Fear: A NeoGAF DnD 5e Play by Post Campaign

Mike M

Nick N
((Oh, and can I use my hide bonus action to take cover or is that a seperate skill?)
((Taking cover is just part of the movement action. You can't hide from a creature that's looking at you anyway (hidden being a different state than invisibility).))

((In case it helps, you don't need to hide to take advantage of the bonus sneak damage anyway. Pretty much every enemy is in metal armor so magnetize is gonna do a lot of work for you on that end... Good luck not dying though.))

Nezumi

((Gotcha. It also just occurred to me that I probably should have turned invisible in our buff turn, as it will probably cost my action for the first turn, doesn't it? No matter the answer, I for one have no further questions.))

Mike M

Nick N
((Yeah, turning invisible would be your first action then.))

Battle theme

((Archers open fire on the front lines of both groups. Warriors begin moving toward the Endowed. Steam Golem converts its arms to Long Axe as a bonus action to take a swing at Vess, but has a critical failure on its attack roll))

Code:
Archer A vs Drow A:
1d20 + 2 = 7
Advantage: 1d20 + 2 = 7

Code:
Archer B vs Drow B:
1d20 + 2 = 20
Advantage: 1d20 + 2 = 22 (Man, and I almost didn't bother to reroll)
Damage: 2d10 = 15

Code:
Archer C vs Drow C:
1d20 + 2 = 14
Advantage: 1d20 + 2 = 8

Code:
Archer D vs. Sagishi:
1d20 + 2 = 22 (OK, now I don't need to reroll)
Damage: 2d10 = 9

Code:
Archer E vs Keranos:
1d20 + 2 = 8
Advantage: 1d20 + 2 = 16 (Don't think that hits? Damage just in case)
Damage: 1d10 = 7

Code:
Archer F vs Galen:
1d20 + 2 = 12
Advantage: 1d20 + 2 = 12

Code:
Steam Golem vs. Vess:
1d20 + 13 = 14
1d100 = 57

((Christ, why do I make encounters with such huge numbers of enemies...))

On some unspoken signal, the dwarves situated on the observation deck unleash a volley from their heavy crossbows, peppering the Endowed and the Drow forces with a hail of bolts. It's largely ineffective, though one of the Drow warriors emits an audible grunt as he catches one of the bolts in the meat of his thigh.

The barrage was suitable distraction, however, for the hammer-wielding warriors to begin their approach to the Endowed unchallenged, closing the distance between them by half, their huge shields held up and at the ready. Meanwhile, the Steam Golem marches toward Vess with single-minded intent, the configuration of its axe-bladed arms shifting to convert into a single outsized double-headed war axe. It raises its transformed weapon above where a head would be, and brings it down in an overhead smash. Vess throws her hands up and screams.

There's a horrible shrieking of metal grinding on metal as the arm stops dead just before it cleaves the priestess in two. The golem twitches spasmodically as it tries to free the jammed gears, a whistle of steam escaping its vents like a scream of impotent rage.

((Next attack on the Golem has advantage (but only the next, unless you have something else granting advantage) while it's trying to get its arm back in working order))

Updated map

((Not gonna lie, we gotta take that golem out ASAP. The attack bonus on it is crazy. Shall we focus magic weapons fire on it? Sagishi can probably withold invisibility if he ducks behind cover from the archers.))

((Yeah, pretty sure my turn will be hitting it as hard as Ludwig can. Before he does though, I wanted to ask about the fire powering the golem again. Is anything covering it, or is it just open? And if something's covering it, could Ludwig try to destroy it?))

((I have time to write a post now, and nothing any other character does will change my action, so I'm going to write it out now. I think it's still probably best that this happen after everyone else has gone though. Unless creatures that are only partially obscured are still treated as blinded but can also be attacked without the attacker being blinded, in which case I should do it first. It kind of makes my head hurt to think about that though.

AC 18, so the arrow missed me.

Cast Fog Cloud from a Level 2 slot, centered on Q4, 30 feet in the air.

Map

Fog Cloud

Heavily Obscured

Blinded condition))

An arrow plinks off of Keranos's armor. He looks down at the point of impact and traces its origin to one of the cowardly archers above.

"That will be quite enough of that," he says, flaring his nostrils. "Everyone!" he calls to his allies, "Gravitate toward the abomination!"

While the rest of the party springs into action, Keranos marches to the center of the room and raises his arms. Summoning the raw power of the elements, a thick cloud of fog, impenetrable to the naked eye, materializes, encompassing all of the foot soldiers and most of the archers

Perhaps most importantly, it should prevent all but one of the archers from getting a clear shot on anyone below. Or so he hopes.

Mike M

Nick N
((Yeah, pretty sure my turn will be hitting it as hard as Ludwig can. Before he does though, I wanted to ask about the fire powering the golem again. Is anything covering it, or is it just open? And if something's covering it, could Ludwig try to destroy it?))

((The boiler is integral to the golem itself, to destroy it you have to destroy the golem. To put the fire out the golem has to be immersed in a sufficient quantity of water (Or have it poured on it. Rain wouldn't do it, for instance).))

Thosar casts about for a weakness in the formation of shielded warriors and Golem. Seeing an opportunity to clog up the battlefield to his allies' advantage, he point his wand at a spot between the golem and the nearest dwarven warrior. He calls out "Lardum Lubricum!" and a slick mess of grease springs up underfoot around where the warrior is currently standing. He then makes his way back behind a nearby desk and takes cover behind it.

((Grease on squares O-P/9-10. DC 15 reflex save to avoid falling and it's difficult terrain. It's nice having CC without concentration.
Moving to V17.Map))

<I might be limited to just healing Sagishi this turn, Fhiess can't target any of the warriors in the cloud now that he can't see them and I don't want to diable Heroism just yet.>

<I might be limited to just healing Sagishi this turn, Fhiess can't target any of the warriors in the cloud now that he can't see them and I don't want to diable Heroism just yet.>
((Remember, the fog cloud is going up at the end of the round. IThe AoE is just there to indicate where it will be. Presumably, he's waiting for Vess and the other drow to make their move as well.))

<I'm gonna have to drop Heroism because otherwise I can't really do anything else and the benefits don't seem like they outweigh losing turns, I mostly wanted Ludwig to have an extra hitpoint buffer for the first turn in case he got attacked more than anyone else.>

---

Fhiess braces himself as the steam golem nearly crashes down immediately, only to be stopped by its own moving parts getting stuck.

Seeing an opportunity, he calls out in an attempt to inspire, "Never overlook an opportunity! Sometimes great things can only be achieved in one moment!"

But Hogan's wisdom fails.

Alerted to approaching warriors, Fhiess tries to bring panic to one of them near the golem. He casts a spell to bring thoughts of the machine struggling to regain working order suddenly turning to trample him and everyone else. He heads for cover soon after.

<casting Phantasmal Force on Warrior C

Phantasmal Force damage roll: 1d6 = 3
Spell Save DC vs Int: 14

moving to the square left of Thosar to find cover>

((Will go ahead and have Ludwig's attack happen after Sagishi or Galen attack the golem. Ludwig can generate advantage on his own.

Moving to attack the golem and burning his vow of emnity to have advantage on attack rolls against it for the next minute. Also if possible, he'll drop one of his larger bags to serve as a potential storage unit for a bunch of water.))

Ludwig gives Fheiss a blank look when he asks about rolling out the siege weapon and says "Fheiss... I was talking about myself..."

He doesn't have time to dwell on that though, as combat breaks out in no time. He drops a bag and shouts "If one of you can make water, there's something to put it in! I'm going to try and stall the golem in the meantime!"

Ludwig rushes over to the golem and focuses his wrath on it. He has one good shot to tear into it before it probably turns its attention to him. Doing his best to make it count, he takes two big swings at the machine, channeling the strongest of his divine smiting reserves into his blows. If he's going to make himself a distraction for Vess, he's going to at least hurt this thing.
Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=174760]Attack 1: 1D20 + 1D4 + 6 = [5]+[3]+6 = 14
[/url]
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=174761]Advantage: 1D20 + 1D4 +6 = [15]+[4]+6 = 25
[/url]
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=174762]Damage: 3D6 + 3D8 + 1D6 + 3 = [6, 2, 6]+[8, 4, 1]+ [2] + 3 = 32 (forgot hunter's mark damage on the initial roll)
[/url]
Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=174764]Attack 2: 1D20 + 1D4 + 6 = [15]+[1]+6 = 22
[/url]
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=174765]Advantage: 1D20 + 1D4 + 6 = [9]+[1]+6 = 16
[/url]
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=174767]Damage: 3D6 + 3D8 + 1D6 + 3 = [4, 1, 6]+[3, 6, 8]+[1]+3 = 32
[/url]
((Updated map))

((No damage was rolled against Galen? But what about...

Yeah, his AC is higher than 12.
Will go ahead and have Ludwig's attack happen after Sagishi or Galen attack the golem. Ludwig can generate advantage on his own.
In that case, I think Galen is striking first; I'm pretty sure Magnetized weaponry grants advantage, as opposed to sneak attack, so Sagishi will make each attack at advantage. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the bag, wouldn't getting it out be a free object interaction (one per round) with dropping it being a nonaction?

Galen should be able to get to X,19, right?

I don't have further time for rolls, so I'll get that later.))

Mike M

Nick N
((Yeah, Magnetized is effective against everyone in this fight since the Golem is made of metal and the Hectorian Guard are wearing plate (even the guys with crossbows). Of course that means Sagishi could be in trouble at melee range.))

((I'd say the combined act of Ludwig getting out a bag and dropping it would be a free action. Assuming that Ludwig is packing (yuk yuk) a backpack scaled up for a large creature, that's 4 cubic feet which works out to ~30 gallons of water if you don't count spillage and whether or not it would leak (I'll do you guys a solid and rule that backpacks are waterproofed for travel.). 30 gallons of water is fucking heavy, though, ~250ish pounds))

((250 pounds would be well within Ludwig's carry range, so he should be able to get the water to the golem if someone fills his backpack. Provided the golem hasn't killed him by then, of course))

((Should Sagishi really attack the golem? Can he even damage it with a mere bolt?))
((Assuming the golem is not immune to piercing damage, it should not only do damage but you'll get advantage on the attack roll allowing you to add your sneak attack dice. So yeah, taking cover and firing on the golem is a sound move. Your crossbow fires not just mere bolts, but magical bolts due to being enchanted. Magical weapons are what will bypass the damage immunity to "normal" weapons.))

Nezumi

((Gotcha.))

Attack: 1D20+6 +1D4 = [14]+6 [2]= 22

Advantage Roll was lower.

Damage: 1D8+3 = [8]+3 = 11 3D6 = [6, 2, 6] = 14 =25

Sagishi is fascinated by the steaming war machine and watches in gleeful awe as it stomps into the room. It is only when it raises it's weapon and brings it down in Vess and a bolt from somewhere leaves a painful gash on his cheek that he realizes the danger they are in. He quickly raises his crossbow and fires a bolt in the direction of the machine before he dashes away to find a more suitable position between the rows of desks.

((Sagishi will move and take cover at p16. On mobile so can't update map.))

((Sagishi could also probably Cunning Action Dash south and Second Story Work his way through the desks and tiers. Here's the map with Sagishi's movement.

And my rolls were going to artificially low, but I remembered Galen gets his +2 to attack from his archery Fighting Style feature. It should all be good, now.

Dropping Hunter's Mark to bonus action reapply on Golem. First level slot, naturally.

(And CoyoteCode has been dead too long, so I'm finishing with another roller.)

Code:
Attack: [URL="http://www.coyotecode.net/roll/lookup.php?rollid=174858"][U][19]+3 (Dex)+3 (Proficiency)+2 (Archery Style)+[3] (Bless) = 30[/U][/URL]
First Strike Advantage: 3+3+3+2+2=13

Damage:[2]+3 (Dex)+3 (Proficiency)+[6] (Hunter's Mark)=14

Extra Attack:[20]+3+3+2+[4]= 32
      This roller just maxed three dice in a roll. Should I reroll?

Damage:[8]+3+3+2+[6]=22
      Make that four dice.
As for movement, how much did it take to crouch and to stand from a crouch? If Galen can, he's hanging out with Thosar at W, 17. The no-crouch option is X,19.

Is Sagishi going before Galen or after? That'll determine if Galen keeps his advantage roll.))

Mike M

Nick N
((Christ, you guys did a ridiculous amount of damage to the Golem. That’s a CR13 creature!))

((Warrior C failed his save against Fhiess and his Phantasmal Force.

Steam Golem attempts to use Steam Whistle as its reaction to interrupt Keranos’s fog sphere, but Keranos beat the save.

Vess casts Bless on Drows D, E, and F and moves to K17

Drow D & E perform a Dash to move to N19 and S19. Drow C & F move to J15 and K16 and take no further action. Drow A & B perform a Dash move to E9 and G9

Archers on the left move clear of the fog sphere and attack Drow A & B.

Archers on the right perform a Dash to get clear of the fog sphere and start moving around the perimeter of the chamber.

Warriors D, E, and F move as far forward as they can out of the fog and Ready actions.

Warrior A climbs over some tables to avoid the grease puddle, which eats enough movement that he doesn’t clear the fog.

Warrior B beat the Grease save and comes out of the fog between Keranos and Ludwig. Warrior E uses Leadership to grant a 1d4 bonus in an attack against Ludwig. Warrior B uses his second attack to hit Keranos.

Warrior C gets clear of the fog. Warrior F activates Leadership to grant an extra 1d4 in the first of two attacks against Keranos.

Steam Golem comes out of the fog, uses its bonus action to convert its arms to normal. Warrior D activates Leadership to grant an extra 1d4 in the first of two attacks against Ludwig.))

Code:
Archer A vs. Drow A:
1d20 + 2 = 6
Advantage: 1d20 + 2 = 6

Code:
Archer B vs. Drow A:
1d20 + 2 = 7
Advantage: 1d20 + 2 = 12

Code:
Archer C vs. Drow B:
1d20 + 2 = 20
Advantage: 1d20 + 2 = 9
Damage: 1d10 = 9

Code:
Warrior B vs. Ludwig:
1d20 + 5 + 1d4 = 25
Damage: 2d6 + 3 = 6

Code:
Warrior B vs. Keranos:
1d20 + 5 = 25
Damage: 4d6 + 3 = 11

Code:
Warrior C vs. Keranos:
Attack 1: 1d20 + 5 = 14

Attack 2: 1d20 + 5 = 22
Damage: 2d6 + 3 = 14

Code:
Steam Golem vs. Ludwig:
Attack 1: 1d20 + 13 + 1d4 = 34
Damage: 4d6 + 8 = 24

Attack 2: 1d20 + 13 = 24
Damage: 4d6 + 8 = 22

For all the sound and fury of the opposition, their opening gambit has remarkably little success, scoring only a couple minor injuries out of a barrage of crossbow bolts. The Endowed waste no time in replying with lethal earnestness.

Fhiess and Thosar throw out a couple fairly ineffectual spells, though Fhiess does succeed in scoring at least a small wound against his target and Thosar creates a hazardous patch of the arena that might catch an inattentive combatant unawares and bring them low.

Ludwig presses the advantage granted by the momentary jamming of the Steam Golem’s mechanisms, channeling divine magic through his attacks to bypass the earthly protections of the machine’s armor and deliver a pair of crushing blows. Sagishi and Galen opt to attack from a distance, Galen’s arrows driving through plating like it wasn’t there and Sagishi’s bolts curving in mid-flight to home in on the towering construct.

Keranos remains stalwart in the metaphorical storm that swirls about him, striding steadfastly toward the center of the floor to summon a portion of his divine command over the elements to blanket most of the combatants with an impenetrably dense fog as the Steam Golem’s whistle screams in a vain attempt to disrupt the godling’s concentration.

A momentary quiet descends upon the chamber as the fog swallows sound and enemies alike. Vess hovers over some of her guard, moving her hands in the prescribed manner and uttering the divine words to imbue their weapons with holy might. That accomplished, she starts climbing up the stairs, well out of the reach of the golem so intent on ending her. Two of her compatriots stay near to her while the rest scatter through the empty rows of desks and chairs to take up positions as they await the forthcoming response from the enemy.

The peace of the moment doesn’t last long at all as the fog begins disgorging foes. A trio of archers come rushing out one side of the fog, only to stop when they see they are flanking two of the Drow. They fire another volley, but only one of them finds its target.

On the other side of the room, the remaining archers storm around the perimeter of the room in double time while half of the warriors emerge from the fog well beyond the reach of anyone nearby. A fourth warrior explodes from the fog directly between Ludwig and Keranos as one of his fellow warriors shouts out tactical commands. He swings his hammer in a heavy arc at Ludwig’s leg before following through on his swing to bring his blow down on Keranos’s breastplate with a roar of bloodlust.

A fifth warrior emerges from the fog behind Keranos, but in his momentary disorientation, he misses his first attack before striking a more accurate blow with the momentum of the first.

The flames that blaze within the Steam Golem make for an eerie glow as the mechanized terror lumbers forth. Heedless of the significant damage it has already sustained, it converts its axe back to its shorter range hatchet-bladed fists and makes a pair of swings at Ludwig, returning in kind the harm the J’Raffa warrior visited upon him.

((Begin round 2))

Updated map

((Ouch. Well Ludwig's dropped to zero with those golem attacks. He had 48 HP max. Ludwig going down at least once a fight is starting to be become a recurring thing :p))

As the silence from the fog is broken, Ludwig feels a hammer swing into his leg. The blow does some damage due to his legs being unarmored, but the overall impact is not that severe.

However, the same can not be said for the steam golem as it tears into him, completely bypassing his armor. Ironically, the machine packs less of a punch than his divine-powered sword swings, but Ludwig's not made out of adamantine, so he can't weather the assault and keep going with huge gashes in him. The J'raffa collapses to the ground, sending an audible thud through the chamber.

Nezumi

(( I totally forgot that Sagishi has Uncanny Dodge now, so he only took half damage last turn. Nothing much Sagishi can do to help but keep shooting at the golem I guess.))

Attack: 1D20+6 = [12]+6 = 18 + 1D4 = [1] = 1 = 19

Re Roll: 1D20+6 = [13]+6 = 19 + 1D4 = [4] = 4 = 23

Damage: 1D8+3 = [3]+3 = 6 + 3D6 = [1, 3, 2] = 6 = 12

Sagishi can only watch in horror as the machine brings down its axe on Ludwig, he has to fight down the urge to run to the J'raffa's help but knowing that there is little he can do he simply sends another bolt in the direction of the metal monstrosity. He then retreats further back, jumping swiftly over chairs and tables.

((Still on mobile, but Sagishi will move to 21 O))

Fhiess winces and trembles, the most demoralized by his inability to give moral support to a team that needs it the most right now.

He starts to murmur to himself softly, "What.. what would Hogan say right now? I need something!"

A crashing sound, metals crushing together and twisting like a horrific scream, with a hiss and whistle ensues. Fhiess covers his head with his bag causing some of the contents to clumsily fall out, among them Sagishi's musical instrument.

The bard scrambles to turn to look over the desk he hides under. To his horror, only the machine stands tall with no J'raffa in sight. Fhiess starts to grieve what is happening, his frustration starting to become apparent. Hogan has never been in a battle like this, he's never risked seeing friends die or his own life moments fading.

He finally gazes down at the instrument then carefully picks it up. Gazing at it for a second, he announces, "I.. I might create a horrific sound with this, but it's the only way everyone will know that I am honest about wanting to help them. It's the only way my support will be felt true."

Placing the instrument at his lips, or however it is meant to be played, he starts to make a melody.

Performance: Rolling 1d20 + 9
( 12 ) + 9 = 21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6kyn8HZC6E

<Giving Bardic Inspiration to Sagishi as a bonus action, +d8 to attack, saving, or ability check.>

He then looks over again and, as if renewed with a great vigor, denounces the approaching warriors with a spell: "Behold wonders of colors and sound! Why not stay and enjoy the sights?"

<Casting Hypnotic Pattern on the warrior group that stepped out of the fog. Wisdom saving throw DC: 14

Targets that fail the saving throw are charmed and have 0 movement speed

It's a 30 ft cube but I represented it with a circle, the AoE isn't lingering, but I wanted to mark it to show where I'm targeting>

Updated Map

((Concentration check to maintain Fog Cloud on the first hit (keep in mind I have DR 3 versus non-magical weapons): d20 +1 = 11, which is a pass

Concentration check to maintain Fog Cloud on the second hit: d20 + 1 = 14, which is also a pass.

Cast Shatter centered on O11, DC 15 Constitution save. It looks like this will hit Ludwig too, but since he's already down, I figure it's not a big deal?

3d8 = 11 for full damage,
5 for half

Steam Golem should have Disadvantage on its saving throw as per the spell description.

Moving to U14.

Map))

Keranos barely has time to open his eyes after summoning the fog cloud before he finds himself getting clobbered with hammers.

The fog cloud was not working nearly as well as he'd hoped.

Making matters worse, he witnesses Ludwig get struck down in brutal fashion by this unnatural freak of nature.

This... thing must be punished.

A jolt of lightning springs forth from Keranos's entire body, threatening to fry two of the surrounding warriors, the steam golem, and unfortunately, poor, unconscious Ludwig.

Keranos then attempts to regroup, weaving his way through the warriors in order to put distance between himself and the golem.

((Dealing damage to Ludwig counts as a failiure on a death saving throw, so now he's two away from dying. Not to worry, though, I've got that covered. The disadvantage should offset the normal advantage a golem has on spell saving throws.

Moving to P17, then using Misty Step to get to P11. Casting Cure Wounds spell on Ludwig. healing: 3D8+2 = [7, 2, 5]+2 = 16
Judging by what heavy obscurement does, it means nobody can see anybody in that cloud and vice versa. Basically, it prevents attacks of opportunity and negates advantage and disadvantage.
MikeM:
If the golem tries to attack Ludwig, myself, or Vess again, it rolls a 2 using my second portent roll.
))

Thosar grimaces as the Golem slams down on the Jraffa while the other dwarves move in. With the others focused on combat, he sees the shockwave strike his limp form, wounds opening further. With his companion closing in on death, his mind is made up quickly.

Calling out to Vess and her archers, "Focus on that dwarf!" pointing to the warrior next to Ludwig ((Dwarf B)). He then rushes along the row of desks, lining himself up with the fallen figure of Ludwig. Taking a step through the ethereal, he appears in the mist beside and reaches out. The wizard summons up his most potent healing magic and tries to seal the worst of the injuries.
Map.

((I'm debating whether to retreat and use most of Ludwig's lay on hands, or whether to make an all-out attack on the golem again. Does anyone else have have healing spells if Ludwig gets downed wailing on it again? I'm a bit hesitent to leave Vess open to it.))

((I vote for Ludwig to wail on the golem again. Mike suggested that we did massive damage to it already, so another full attack might just take it down.

If it comes to it, I have healing spells. You won't die this combat unless it's a TPK))

((I'm debating whether to retreat and use most of Ludwig's lay on hands, or whether to make an all-out attack on the golem again. Does anyone else have have healing spells if Ludwig gets downed wailing on it again? I'm a bit hesitent to leave Vess open to it.))
((I've still got a number of spell slots that could be used to heal, although I should probably start making more aggressive moves soon.
I like how almost everyone in the party has healing available. I should give Sagishi a few healing potions so everyone can do it.

If Fheiss focuses on just healing Ludwig, Thosar could put a Sanctuary spell on him.))

((Sounds pretty clear then. Attack on golem it is! Pretty sure hunter's mark is gone because going down would drop his concentration. Added wrathful smite to attack 2, so DC 13 will save to not be frightened of Ludwig))

Ludwig jumps up when healed and quickly takes in his surroundings. The golem looks torn up, but is still clearly going. Vess is still uncomfortably close to it, and no water is to be found. Not seeing another choice, Ludwig moves to pick his blade back up. Before attacking, he nods to what kind of looks like Thosar in the mist and says "Thanks for the save there. I hope I won't need another in a second."

Putting his all into it, Ludwig takes two more swings at the golem. Exhausted from near death and his last rush, he can barely swing straight on his first attack, and he can't pour as much divine power into his smites as last time. Still, the J'raffa pushes himself as hard as he can, adding a psychic flair to his second swing as his wounds burst open from exertion, sending a small shower of blood around him as he tries to cut down the construct.
Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=175018]Attack 1: 1D20 + 1D4 + 6 = [1]+[4]+6 = 11
[/url]
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=175019]Advantage: 1D20 + 1D4 + 6 = [2]+[3]+6 = 11
[/url]
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=175020]Damage if hit: 3D6 + 2D8  + 3 = [4, 5, 3]+[8, 2]+3 = 25
[/url]
Code:
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=175021]Attack 2: 1D20 + 1D4 + 6 = [1]+[4]+6 = 11
[/url]
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=175022]Advantage: 1D20 + 1D4 + 6 = [19]+[2]+6 = 27
[/url]
[url=http://roll.coyotecode.net/lookup.php?rollid=175024]Damage: 3D6 + 2D8 + 1D6 + 3 = [3, 5, 5]+[1, 4]+[5]+3 = 26
[/url]

((I figured as much, but that only costs the D6. It was pretty much use it or lose it. Though I guess I could have saved it for another regular smite...))

((Couple things regarding damage:
First, I would like to make a correction.
Damage:[8]+3+3+2+[6]=22
Should be [8]+3+3+2+[5]=19. I was kind of having issues accepting all the maxed out dice, and accidentally added the last one maxed. I also just realized I must have glancingly referenced an attack roll and slipped the combat style bonus into there. -3 to that damage roll.

Second, is the damage taking into account the roll of 20? I hadn't rolled for critical damage because I was unsure if I should re-roll the attack and had little time left to post.

About movement, is Galen able to make it to W,23 and crouch down, or will some manner of crouch shenanigans prevent that? How far would he have to be for Advantage from height?

I like how almost everyone in the party has healing available. I should give Sagishi a few healing potions so everyone can do it.
Why do you assume Galen has some manner of wound-curing available?

Is is because he has Cure Wounds?

Continuing on:

In any case, Galen is going to try to move to W,23 and will make both his attacks on the golem. These go as follows:

Code:
Attack:[9]+3+3+2+[1]=18
   Likely doesn't hit, but damage anyway
[8]+3+3+[2]=16

Extra Attack:[2]+3+3+2+[3]=13
   I don't feel so bad about those maxed dice anymore.

#Blessed 2/10))

Galen watches as Ludwig falls to the golem's devastating strokes in a familiar scene, but, just as last time, Thosar tears through space itself to bring him back to his feet. Galen pivots and breaks into a run up the stairs before turning around to let loose two rapid shots upon the metal beast.

((Second, is the damage taking into account the roll of 20? I hadn't rolled for critical damage because I was unsure if I should re-roll the attack and had little time left to post.
Looks like you rolled a natural 20, so you should have rolled any damage dice twice. Since you have hunter's mark active, it should be 2d8+2d6+dex. Seems like that occurred with rolls of 8,6,2, and 3. Adding 3 from dex bonus, that adds up to 22.
Why do you assume Galen has some manner of wound-curing available?

Is is because he has Cure Wounds?
Yes.

Mike M

Nick N
((Galen meet the AC and finished it off. JFC, and here I thought I was exercising forethought by having additional allies in case the encounter was too much.

Won't be able to do a write up probably until tomorrow if you guys want to get reactions in.))

((Hoo boy, us rising to the challenge here means the next fight will be an ancient white dragon in the icy mountains or something. NOT TO GIVE YOU IDEAS OR ANYTHING))

With the golem still standing after his final attack, Ludwig bites down on the handle of his blade and prepares for the golem's counter. However, several seconds pass and the attack never happens. Taking his eyes off its weapons, he sees that the construct is no longer moving, having lost all function with a few extra arrows getting pumped into it.

With the golem wrecked, the fight is over. Ludwig sheathes his sword and shouts "WHOO! What a rush! Take that, you power-mad, statist pig!" The outburst opens more of Ludwig's wounds, causing him to cough blood as he finishes shouting. He should probably do something about that.

It is almost as if Fhiess' song had changed history. Only soon after his melody filled the air, had the J'Raffa stood tall once more and his and everyone's efforts toppled the giant, mechanical might.

A grin widens into his cheeks, he yells out in cheer, "We've won! We've won the fight! There's no way we can be defeated now!"

--

<*a year later, during the next game*

"Remember when post #2797 was when I doomed us all? Fun times.">

Nezumi

With a big sigh of relief Sagishi watches as Ludwig rises again. He can only admire the J'raffa. Even though he is still severely wounded the thought of retreat never enters his mind and he brings down his sword again.

Encouraged by this tenacity, Sagishi readies his crossbow again and takes aim at the golem but stops as two more arrows from Galen sink into the metal body and it finally stops moving.

For all its imposing stature it appears that the golem wasn't quite as formidable as its appearance let them to believe.

Sagishi can't help and join Ludwig and Fhiess in their joy of victory with a barked laughter of his own.

The fact that there are still almost a dozen heavily armed enemies left on the battlefield, totally escapes his mind for the moment.

Unable to see the events mere feet from him, Thosar is unaware of the Golem's demise. He hears the clamor of metal piercing metal and calls of success from his comrades, however, so he readies himself to exit the cloud.

Top Bottom