• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Just Mafia |OT| Sometimes You Don't Need A Reason to Lynch Your Friends

Everyone shut up

Twenty players.
Fourteen yum; nine blands, five Spiced (type-Lens, Alcover, 2?-shake Waterwheeler and/or a pair of Medallions and/or a Curtain Maker)
Four yuck (two bland, a Locket and a Secretsauce)
Two YOLOne; probably a Nailbiter and/or an x-shake Insultant​

Everyone shut up

Twenty players.
Fourteen yum; nine blands, five Spiced (type-Lens, Alcover, 2?-shake Waterwheeler and/or a pair of Medallions and/or a Curtain Maker)
Four yuck (two bland, a Locket and a Secretsauce)
Two YOLOne; probably a Nailbiter and/or an x-shake Insultant​
Gonna need you to design this game.

Zubz

Banned
That was brutal to say about be, Monkey. Can I get to declare myself, and just myself, in "No Reveal" mode? Like, I'm added to the Town/Scum ratio for the win condition but we don't know until Scum is removed/has majority?

I'm loving this No Reveal gimmick. We should all play like this sometime.

Where are your guts?

In my gut-torso like a normal person. Can I vote for you a 3rd consecutive time without irritating our talliers?

While I confess it would be interesting to play no one knows mafia, I do feel like your not knowing, presumably, has the potential to be neutral or not good. I can't see it as a benefit. Not knowing is already a default state for town and you've made it even worse - because then you play as town, basically, but no one ever trusts you fully because how can we? And so there's a level of distraction and worry there that just seems unnecessary. What if you are perfect townie, except oops, you're scum? Who's that benefit? It's fun for you, maybe. It could suck for us.

Noting personal, Zubz. I felt bad when you got the ax in anime. Just I'm not sure about this deal.

NeckToChicken

Unconfirmed Member
Why do you claim town anyway? Everyone is presumed town until evidence comes up to suggest otherwise.

Because I was asked by melon. I could have avoided the question by dancing around it or simply ignoring her, but I wanted to respond.

SICK OBSERVATION:

I will say that my understanding of the gafia meta is lacking, but I also feel there's a big difference between spectating from the sidelines and being in the middle of a game. Doubly so with no prior experience. Corn and fran make good arguments for why a day one no lynch is poor (lynches being a numbers game, scum get their pick), and it taints one day of voting history because scum can split themselves between no lynch and random targets.

I feel like I've caused some level of confusion with my play so far. I'll try towards positive contributions. Even if it's hard to know exactly what that is on day one. Thank you for humoring my day one readz challenge, even if you were already planning on doing so.

The canon made the text-wall obsolete; now? It's post-recession, friend, the forte is strong again

Either you prefer my posts shorter or Just Mafia is the abridged gospel of Blarg. Someone can bold and highlight your text in the final draft.

The only person who benefits from not reading your own role is yourself. You're definitely not helping town or scum, which to me is just stupid.

The only person who benefits from not reading your own role is yourself. You're definitely not helping town or scum, which to me is just stupid.

Not sure I agree on scum. If he's scum they know. And that can be leveraged. They all have some deniability if he is and if he's not, well. Just another townie.

I'm not one to be all obsessive about the town PRs but I hope he's not one, frankly.

Zubz

Banned
Hey, at least this is making things more interesting?

Despite all my on-sight votes for No Kill voters, we really do need to settle down on someone; the 2 non-Blarg voters seem Town & somewhat active, even if RNG isn't the wisest solution to the Day 1 vote.

I know this backfired with Blargonaut in Star Wars & Vampire, but Scum greatly benefits through pages that are a pain to read through/analyze. Fat4All's been doing that quite a bit, so I'm leaning towards them. I missed a lot while I was at work today & am tired now, however. I'll need to review before committing to anything.

Fat4all

Banned
Not knowing if you have an ability or not is a negative for both town and scum. You'd be letting down your team no matter which one you're on. Not participating in scum chat, not participating in lovers/masons chat, not knowing if you have an ability that can greatly benefit town, like doctor or cop. The only situation where not reading your chat wouldn't harm the rest of your team is if you are a neutral on a team by yourself. Even then, you greatly diminish your own chances at winning.

That's why I don't believe for a second that Zubz hasn't read their role PM. That doesn't mean I think they are scum, mind. Just that they are doing some sort of strange "odd man out" gambit that doesn't make much sense to me.

---

I don't have much more to say about the no lynch situation.

It's weird how in just about every game I've read the 'no lynch' subject pops up and is discussed for a bit on day one, but this is the first game I've seen where it's been debated so hotly. Dunno what's up with that.

Not sure I agree on scum. If he's scum they know. And that can be leveraged. They all have some deniability if he is and if he's not, well. Just another townie.

I'm not one to be all obsessive about the town PRs but I hope he's not one, frankly.

I disagree with him being scum helping scum. He's forfeiting the biggest advatange they have, being able to coordinate in that private chat. If he's town, he's just causing a cluster for no reason and that does help scum, so I'll concede that much

i think the truth of it could probably go either way and either way it's an issue.

Good night, GAFia. I will probably vote someone in the morning.

I disagree with him being scum helping scum. He's forfeiting the biggest advatange they have, being able to coordinate in that private chat. If he's town, he's just causing a cluster for no reason and that does help scum, so I'll concede that much
Yeah, the latter bit is where I was headed with that. But sleepy.

DAY 1 CURRENT VOTE TALLY:

No Lynch (2)
Karkador 75
Blargonaut 106 225
kitsunelaine 132 182
Blargonaut 253

franconp (2)
Kalor 198
Dusk Soldier 283

LaunchpadMcQ (1)
CornBurrito 96

weemadarthur (1)
kitsunelaine 182 184
kitsunelaine 184

kitsunelaine (1)
weemadarthur 141

CornBurrito (1)
Lone_Prodigy 279

Karkador (1)
Zubz 81 114
isaacnukem 104
Blargonaut 225 253

Blargonaut (1)
Zubz 114

Dusk Soldier (1)
acohrs 67

NeckToChicken (0): melonrabbit 80 137

No active vote for Day 1: Cewyn, Fat4all (has previously voted), franconp, hey_monkey, LaunchpadMcQ, melonrabbit (has previously voted), NeckToChicken, nin1000, rac

Day 1 Postcount: acohrs 11, Blargonaut 35, Cewyn 2, CornBurrito 8, Dusk Soldier 8, Fat4all 27, franconp 22, hey_monkey 27, isaacnukem 7, Kalor 5, Karkador 17, kitsunelaine 9, LaunchpadMcQ 9, Lone_Prodigy 4, melonrabbit 17, NeckToChicken 8, nin1000 10, rac 8, weemadarthur 10, Zubz 14

Day 1 ends:
bla_1498338000.png

Automated vote tally here

11 votes for majority

acohrs

Wait if Zubz didn't read his own PM, how could he reply and confirm he received It? Did he explain that already? Sounds like salami to me...

*cut*

I'm loving this No Reveal gimmick. We should all play like this sometime.

In my gut-torso like a normal person. Can I vote for you a 3rd consecutive time without irritating our talliers?

But how do you know where your guts are if you've never seen them?

*slice*

Either you prefer my posts shorter or Just Mafia is the abridged gospel of Blarg. Someone can bold and highlight your text in the final draft.

You're smart, explain to me the correlation between Karkador voting for No Lynch and Zubz' claim to have not read his own Role PM, in electroswing lyrics.

dusk soldier (1)
acohrs 67

no lynch (2)
karkador 75
blargonaut 106 (225)
blargonaut 253

necktochicken (0)
melonrabbit 80 (215)

karkador (1)
zubz 81 (114)
isaacnukem 104
blargonaut 225 (253)

launchpadmcq (1)
cornburrito 96

blargonaut (1)
zubz 114

kitsunelaine (1)
weemadarthur 141

fat4all (0)
fat4all 183 (183)

weemadarthur (1)
kitsunelaine 184

franconp (2)
kalor 198
dusk soldier 283

cornburrito (1)
lone_prodigy 279

Day Ends:
bla_1498338000.png

nin1000

Banned
I know this backfired with Blargonaut in Star Wars & Vampire, but Scum greatly benefits through pages that are a pain to read through/analyze. Fat4All's been doing that quite a bit, so I'm leaning towards them. I missed a lot while I was at work today & am tired now, however. I'll need to review before committing to anything.

Interesting though

franconp

What backfired with Blarg in Star Wars was that he made a gambit, lost and then he decided to claim scum instead of his actual townie role.

Scum also benefits greatly when there are quite a few pages as general inactivity is great for them.

Not knowing if you have an ability or not is a negative for both town and scum. You'd be letting down your team no matter which one you're on. Not participating in scum chat, not participating in lovers/masons chat, not knowing if you have an ability that can greatly benefit town, like doctor or cop. The only situation where not reading your chat wouldn't harm the rest of your team is if you are a neutral on a team by yourself. Even then, you greatly diminish your own chances at winning.

That's why I don't believe for a second that Zubz hasn't read their role PM. That doesn't mean I think they are scum, mind. Just that they are doing some sort of strange "odd man out" gambit that doesn't make much sense to me.

This were almost my exact thoughts when I was reading Zubs post. Get out of my head, doggo!!!

Wait if Zubz didn't read his own PM, how could he reply and confirm he received It? Did he explain that already? Sounds like salami to me...

He could have received, check that it was from Crimson and post here without opening. He posted before the game started.

I'm still not believing him.

yuck please Night-kill LaunchpadMcQ Tonight.

If he's alive Tomorrow, I will consider that actionable proof that he's yucky.

Can I ask Why? It's something bugging you about Launchpad?

franconp

Me, but I'm trying to mix it up this game so I may be a harder read this round.

This post is also bugging me. Why the need to change playstyles? Even more, Why the need to make it know?

I would like to hear a bit more from Isaac, Kitsune and Cewyn. I keep forgetting they are playing. Would love to read something more from melon too.

Kark, what do you think about Zubs? I want to know what do you think besides D1 No Lynch? Almost all your post has been about it.

acohrs

Tempted to push a wagon to lynch Zubz unless he reads his DM, but how would we ever know if he did or if he's lying in the first place? And if he is lying what the hell kind of gambit is this?! My head hurts...

This post is also bugging me. Why the need to change playstyles? Even more, Why the need to make it know?

I would like to hear a bit more from Isaac, Kitsune and Cewyn. I keep forgetting they are playing. Would love to read something more from melon too.

Kark, what do you think about Zubs? I want to know what do you think besides D1 No Lynch? Almost all your post has been about it.

I'm at work. I'll do my best, might be a bit brief as I'm on my phone throughout the day.

I think my general read of things is that I'm bothered that we are still talking about No Lynch and it has crawled the discussion to a standstill. If Kark and Blarg truly want to go in that direction (which I'm not sold on) then does that mean in their opinion no one has stood out for them today or are they ignoring that in favor of pushing the No Lynch agenda.

I also feel that some of our more vocal players - nin, aco and to an extent Blarg seem very quiet for well, them.

LP is spinning wheels as usual.

I'm not sure I like the abrupt push for Fran. Feels very manufactured.

I would say I feel most confident with Fran and Monkey being town at present.

I'm not sure about Zubz 'not reading the PM' I initially took it in just but now I feel like I need to reread things.

I'll be back during my lunch break. And respond as best I can before that.

Zubz

Banned
But how do you know where your guts are if you've never seen them?

How do you know I haven't?

Because CrimsonFist said you could reply or post in the thread to confirm. I mean, did you not read your Role PM or something? That's just careless.

Kalor

I keep thinking that Zubz has actually read their role pm and are just ordinary town. They saw they were vanilla and decided to go for this gambit for whatever reason.

Kalor

How do you know I haven't?

Because CrimsonFist said you could reply or post in the thread to confirm. I mean, did you not read your Role PM or something? That's just careless.

So you're giving up on your "not reading your role" thing now?

What sticks in my craw about the Zubz deal is that he had to know that would get a reaction and be an issue in d1 discussion. It may undermine or color everything he does and if we think he's lying then he's a liar out of the gate. So did he hope we would talk about it and then decide it was too obvious for a lynch and he'd get a few free days or what?

nin1000

Banned
What sticks in my craw about the Zubz deal is that he had to know that would get a reaction and be an issue in d1 discussion. It may undermine or color everything he does and if we think he's lying then he's a liar out of the gate. So did he hope we would talk about it and then decide it was too obvious for a lynch and he'd get a few free days or what?

My 2c.
his plan of town reaction would have looked like this :

-Start a discussion
-let Town waste time talking about it
-hopefully town will ignore it
-not getting lynched on D1
-Probably getting Lynched several days later

If he was a jester ( thats impossible btw ) It would make sense to make such a claim.
But since that is impossible i wont waste any more time on it.
Since it moves us away from our main goal for today.
Discussing things
i know this is also a topic of discussion

nin1000

Banned
Just want to point out and push these players to say a tad more and share their thoughts on today

Cewyn 2p
CornBurrito 8p
Dusk Soldier 8p
isaacnukem 7p
Kalor 5p
kitsunelaine 9p
LaunchpadMcQ 9p
Lone_Prodigy 4
NeckToChicken 8p
rac 8p
Dusk Soldier 8p

rac

Banned
I just realized I forgot rac in two passes through the list of players. Rac, how would you describe your play style please?

whoops i missed this

im p quiet, and my posts probably wont make any sense

i would describe my play style as "how am i not lynched yet:

Karkador

Banned
I took Zubz's pregame post to mean he confirmed (and thus read) his PM. I also presume Crimson can't start the game until all players have confirmed.

We could probably ask Crimson if Zubz confirmed (and by which method).

Well there's honestly not too much to go on at this point. I feel like we'll have more to speculate about on Day 2. It's a very nebulous game at the moment, with a lot of variables... But that's where the fun is!

I dunno about that one person trying to claim ignorance of their role though. That seems like a very strange move and it could work out either way for them.

But outside of that, whatcha want my thoughts on?

Zubz

Banned
Just want to point out and push these players to say a tad more and share their thoughts on today

Cewyn 2p
CornBurrito 8p
Dusk Soldier 8p
isaacnukem 7p
Kalor 5p
kitsunelaine 9p
LaunchpadMcQ 9p
Lone_Prodigy 4
NeckToChicken 8p
rac 8p
Dusk Soldier 8p

Yeah, I think prodding's the ideal solution. There's a method to my blindness, but I don't want to waste discussion on it. And Cewyn's post count is super low, while Dusk Soldier's & Launchpad's are relatively low.

Dusk is on there twice, btw.

Well there's honestly not too much to go on at this point. I feel like we'll have more to speculate about on Day 2. It's a very nebulous game at the moment, with a lot of variables... But that's where the fun is!

I dunno about that one person trying to claim ignorance of their role though. That seems like a very strange move and it could work out either way for them.

No editing (ง •̀_•́)ง

I took Zubz's pregame post to mean he confirmed (and thus read) his PM. I also presume Crimson can't start the game until all players have confirmed.

Posting in the thread IS confirmation. I find it unlikely the mod will reply to this question any further. I confirmed only by posting in this thread, for instance, rather than replying to the role PM. Although I at least glanced at mine. :) But since this could be a player gambit, it just needs to be judged on its own merits.

Do I believe zubz skipped reading his role PM? I have heard some players recommend that as a way to be more calm/seem more town on day one. Possibly it was on mafia universe? I am not sure I believe he didn't. I don't see it as a thought-out play.

If he failed to read it, then I hope he is mafia. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy to imagine the scum team freaking out in the background, yelling at the member who just won't join up properly.

I suppose I feel that making him a main lynch target is doing a policy lynch, rather than a scum hunting lynch, and while I do support those on occasion, I prefer to do a scum hunting lynch.

franconp

He can confirm receiving it but he didn't bothered opening it.

Top Bottom