• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kosma

Banned
I have to try this, I bought a few PS2 games when I had a PS3 but that died on me. Hope this will enable me to play FFX :)

FoxSpirit

MrVargas said:
It's going to be awesome a few years when integrated GPU's will be able to handle this. Heck, I remember when N64 and PSX emulators needed a powerful computer now any budget laptop can run them.

The only problem is... will we simply get more power by upping the CPU cores? It's a bit of a bitch to program for that.

That's why currently PCSX2 only supports 2 cores >.<

I'm sure the answers are looked somewhere in this thread but I'm lazy.

How would it run via bootcamp on a:

iMac 2.66ghz core 2 duo.
4MB Ram
ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

I know the graphics card stinks but I should be able to run something right?

:D

DoctorWho said:
I'm sure the answers are looked somewhere in this thread but I'm lazy.

How would it run via bootcamp on a:

iMac 2.66ghz
4MB Ram
ATI Radeon HD 2600 PRO with 256MB memory

I know the graphics card stinks but I should be able to run something right?

:D

CPU speed will hold you back. I have a CPU at that speed and it's not ideal. Some games run OK.

Firestorm

Anti Aliasing would just take GPU power right. Same with Resolution? Since CPU is doing most of the emulation, would I be able to up the res and AA as long as my GPU is powerful enough?

gregor7777 said:
CPU speed will hold you back. I have a CPU at that speed and it's not ideal. Some games run OK.

Does it make a difference that it is a core 2 duo? I forgot to add that.

I'll probably mostly playing RPGs on it. How would 2D fighters run? I'm not too bothered if they run as good as they do on a PS2. I don't necessarily need all the extra perks of PC emu.

DoctorWho said:
Does it make a difference that it is a core 2 duo? I forgot to add that.

I'll probably mostly playing RPGs on it. How would 2D fighters run? I'm not too bothered if they run as good as they do on a PS2. I don't necessarily need all the extra perks of PC emu.

Not really, no. I was assuming it was a modern CPU. Raw CPU speed is king.

Getting them to run as well as they did on the PS2 is the main goal of the project, and it's still a ways off.

That said, results vary wildly. Try some of your games out. It's the only way to know.

This might've been asked in this thread but it's difficult to go through all 20+ pages. But does this emulator work well for Vista 64x? I'm definitely hitting up Blockbuster to rent some titles if it works.

Corum

Gully State said:
This might've been asked in this thread but it's difficult to go through all 20+ pages. But does this emulator work well for Vista 64x? I'm definitely hitting up Blockbuster to rent some titles if it works.

Works perfectly for me, I've been playing FFXII recently.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
:lol Thanks to this topic I realised I was using an old version of the emu, a friend sent me a link to a "good pack" as he called it with the "latest" version. Yeah right. Couldn't get FFXII to run well on that, but now with the July release it runs at full speed :D. Now I won't have to play it on that horrible TV the PS2 is hooked up to :D

FoxSpirit

Gully State said:
Do you absolutely need a PS2 bios file or is it optional and if so why?

Because the bios is a piece of software and not something rewritten from the ground up. The copyright clearly belongs to Sony and downloading it without owning a PS2 is piracy.

SOLDIER

I've asked this before, but I want to check again with the currently released builds.

My specs:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2
Dual Core Processor 4000+
2.10 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
Geforce 8800GT 512mb
Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit

The emulator I'm using: r877

Is there a better/more stable build I can use with my specs? I want to run the games with an internal res of 1920x1080. Please let me know.

tokkun

FoxSpirit said:
Because the bios is a piece of software and not something rewritten from the ground up. The copyright clearly belongs to Sony and downloading it without owning a PS2 is piracy.

It's still copyright infringement, whether or not you own the PS2.

x3sphere

SOLDIER said:
I've asked this before, but I want to check again with the currently released builds.

My specs:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2
2.10 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
Geforce 8800GT 512mb

Is there a better/more stable build I can use with my specs? I want to run the games with an internal res of 1920x1080. Please let me know.

I have an X2 5000+ and barely any titles ran at a playable speed for me. Odin Sphere did but there were still some slowdowns here and there.

Getting parts for my i7 build next week though so I'm looking forward to trying this again.

SOLDIER

So I gave the 1474 beta a try, and I did notice an improvement. FFXII ran very smoothly, only chugging slightly during Basch's limit break after the first boss. KH2 also ran almost perfectly too. MGS3 is still about 25% slower though, especially in cutscenes. Shadow of the Colossus runs even slower than that. On speed hacks, I have x2 cycle rate, INTC Sync Hack, IOP x2 Cycle Rate, and Idle Loop Fast Forward checked.

The one game I want help with right now is Silent Hill 2. The game has a perfect frame rate, but has three vertical lines running up and down the screen. FMVs are also pixelated and messed up.

Help me out please.

PS: On the subject of Silent Hill 2, does the GH edition (with the extra Maria sidequest) have the Maria sidequest available from the start? Does it also have the advanced options (such as the film grain noise) available right away too?

RotBot

FoxSpirit said:
In most countries, having a backup of a software you own is not.
Downloading a BIOS from the Internet when you have a PS2 is still legally copyright infringement in most countries. It's like the difference between ripping your own CD and downloading mp3s of CDs you own. You would need to extract the BIOS directly from your own PS2 for it to qualify as a backup. Not that I personally care about this technicality, mind you.

tokkun

RotBot said:
You would need to extract the BIOS directly from your own PS2 for it to qualify as a backup. Not that I personally care about this technicality, mind you.

I can only speak about US law, but this is an extremely common misconception.

The law allows a backup copy, provided it is solely used as a backup. The 'solely' is the key word in the sentence. Once you use that backup copy to run an emulator, it is no longer being solely used as a backup.

It should be pretty obvious that this is the case if you think about it. Otherwise there would be no restrictions to copying as long as you claim that you made the copy as a backup.

In short: Ripping your BIOS is not infringement. If you then use that BIOS in an emulator (or for any use other than restoring the BIOS of the system you originally ripped it from), it becomes infringement).

I believe that the ripping CDs to mp3s comes from a different legal precedent related to 'format shifting' fair use, and not from the 'backup copy' provision of software copyright law. Copyright laws for software are not the same as for music.

onken

SOLDIER said:
So I gave the 1474 beta a try, and I did notice an improvement. FFXII ran very smoothly, only chugging slightly during Basch's limit break after the first boss. KH2 also ran almost perfectly too. MGS3 is still about 25% slower though, especially in cutscenes. Shadow of the Colossus runs even slower than that. On speed hacks, I have x2 cycle rate, INTC Sync Hack, IOP x2 Cycle Rate, and Idle Loop Fast Forward checked.

The one game I want help with right now is Silent Hill 2. The game has a perfect frame rate, but has three vertical lines running up and down the screen. FMVs are also pixelated and messed up.

Help me out please.

PS: On the subject of Silent Hill 2, does the GH edition (with the extra Maria sidequest) have the Maria sidequest available from the start? Does it also have the advanced options (such as the film grain noise) available right away too?

Yeah there's some problems with SH2, I think the general consensus is just to buy the PC version.

SOLDIER

Really? I hadn't heard anyone mention problems with SH2 before. I had my hopes set for it too. I thought the scanlines and FMV would be easy to fix.

How about SH3 and 4, do they run better?

And finally, how do you transfer/copy memory card data so the emulator reads your saves?

x3sphere said:
I have an X2 5000+ and barely any titles ran at a playable speed for me. Odin Sphere did but there were still some slowdowns here and there.

Getting parts for my i7 build next week though so I'm looking forward to trying this again.

You've gotta tweak em' a bit more. Try messing around with the frame skip settings and see what runs best. I've got a 5400+ and can run games like Ikkitousen and Rumble Roses at around 40-50FPS and at a decent framerate after playing around with the settings for almost an hour.

I'd still love to see more HD perfect quality shots of ZOE2 to the standard of the FF12 ones which still look jaw dropping.

Square really should re-release FF12 as a PSN title or something because it just looks astonishing in some of the screens from this thread, as do the Kingdom Hearts.

Convergys said:
i came in here expecting new hi res screenshots :(
I don't think I posted these

Not very impressive because of the nature of the graphics, but it's a great way to replay the game.

23lmy5y.jpg

igwwo8.jpg

ArjanN

SOLDIER said:

My specs:

AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2
2.10 GHz, 2.00 GB of RAM
Geforce 8800GT 512mb

The latest version is (almost) always best. They're up to like 1600 now.

SOLDIER

Is 1474 (beta) the most current one? That's the one I found, but if there's an even higher version, I'd like to know about it.

I still want confirmation if Silent Hill 2 can be fixed or not, or if other people have experienced the problems I had.

tokkun

ShockingAlberto said:
I don't think I posted these

Not very impressive because of the nature of the graphics, but it's a great way to replay the game.

What graphics settings are you using? I can get the game looking very sharp, but the character portraits end up getting really pixelated for some reason.

p4pcsx.jpg

onken

SOLDIER said:
Is 1474 (beta) the most current one? That's the one I found, but if there's an even higher version, I'd like to know about it.

I still want confirmation if Silent Hill 2 can be fixed or not, or if other people have experienced the problems I had.

Don't know about the 3 lines but less than a minute of searching on the pcsx2 forums reveals there is a known bug for SH2 cutscenes.

ArjanN

SOLDIER said:

I think that's the latest public beta.

http://code.google.com/p/pcsx2/updates/list
shows where they're at now.

And IMO if there is a PC version of a game (like Silent Hill 2) you're usually better off just playing that, as the system requirements will only be a fraction of what is needed to emulate the game.

vazel

Banned
Firestorm said:
Anti Aliasing would just take GPU power right. Same with Resolution? Since CPU is doing most of the emulation, would I be able to up the res and AA as long as my GPU is powerful enough?
When I enabled msaa it slowed games down to a crawl. I actually got better performance by using an internal resolution of 2048x2048 for supersampled aa.

tokkun said:
What graphics settings are you using? I can get the game looking very sharp, but the character portraits end up getting really pixelated for some reason.
I don't think that's surprising as they're, well, pixel graphics designed for a resolution of like 640x480 while the rest of the game save the menus and cutscenes consists of 3D graphics.

tokkun

magicalsoundshower said:
I don't think that's surprising as they're, well, pixel graphics designed for a resolution of like 640x480 while the rest of the game save the menus and cutscenes consists of 3D graphics.

Yes, I understand that. The thing is, they look better when the internal resolution of the emulator is set lower, even if the end result is the same resolution. What I mean is, when it comes to 2D graphics the filter they use for scaling when stretching the window of the emulator seems to be better than the scaling you get when you make the graphics plugin scale the image internally. Thus, if you set the internal res of the graphics plugin to native, you get good looking 2D but bad looking 3D. If you set the internal res to 1920x1200, you get great looking 3D, but pixelated 2D. And forcing AA and AF through the driver doesn't help matters.

Are my specs ok? I'm new to this been willing to try this out.

Vista 64 bit
CPU Amd phenom 8400 triple core processor 2.10 ghz, 4GB RAM
GPU NVIDIA GeForce 8200 256mb

Can someone help me get GOW to run? In the menus and the first cutscene it's buttery-smooth 60fps, but in gameplay it's about 20-30fps. I've tried all sorts of settings and I can't get it to work - I've tried 0.9.6 and the beta, and I'm using GSdx 1650. I've seen other people get it to work fine; it shouldn't be my specs because I've got a Q6600 and 8800 Ultra which coud play SotC very well mostly as well as playing many other games perfectly. Thanks in advance :D.

tokkun

darkpaladinmfc said:
Can someone help me get GOW to run? In the menus and the first cutscene it's buttery-smooth 60fps, but in gameplay it's about 20-30fps. I've tried all sorts of settings and I can't get it to work - I've tried 0.9.6 and the beta, and I'm using GSdx 1650. I've seen other people get it to work fine; it shouldn't be my specs because I've got a Q6600 and 8800 Ultra which coud play SotC very well mostly as well as playing many other games perfectly. Thanks in advance :D.

Do you have speed hacks enabled?

There's an 800+ post thread on the PCSX official forum.
http://forums.pcsx2.net/thread-3404-page-1.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom