• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PCSX2 - Excellent PS2 emulation, support improving all the time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like there's a lot to sift through, and I really haven't found much to answer my specific question: I'm trying to run Shadow Tower Abyss on the latest (1888) beta, and initially when I boot the emulator I'm getting weird, but slight, stuttering. Sometimes it will run smooth but for the most part it is slightly stuttering. Could it be a framerate issue? I see that it is running ~40 FPS. My second issue is with loading the game. How exactly do I run a game that is in an image file? I tried mounting it in Daemon Tools (it is mdf), and tried the options within pcsx2 and it is giving me an error "Error Opening CDVD Plugin"

Anyone have any ideas here? I apologize for the long-winded questions, and if this has already been discussed previously.

*After checking the homepage, it looks like Shadow Tower Abyss isn't fully playable...bummer

ArjanN

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Seems like there's a lot to sift through, and I really haven't found much to answer my specific question: I'm trying to run Shadow Tower Abyss on the latest (1888) beta, and initially when I boot the emulator I'm getting weird, but slight, stuttering. Sometimes it will run smooth but for the most part it is slightly stuttering. Could it be a framerate issue? I see that it is running ~40 FPS. My second issue is with loading the game. How exactly do I run a game that is in an image file? I tried mounting it in Daemon Tools (it is mdf), and tried the options within pcsx2 and it is giving me an error "Error Opening CDVD Plugin"

Anyone have any ideas here? I apologize for the long-winded questions, and if this has already been discussed previously.

*After checking the homepage, it looks like Shadow Tower Abyss isn't fully playable...bummer

It's usually best to try games out for yourself, because the information on each game is often outdated.

You don't have to mount the files at all. You can just start the emulator and then use that to browse to the folder where the ISO is. File -> Run ISO image...
I know it's not an .ISO file, but it will accept .MDF files as well.

You need to choose an CDVD plugin first though. Config -> Configure

I use the Linuz ISO CDVD 0.9.0 plugin, which is the default one I guess.

ArjanN said:
It's usually best to try games out for yourself, because the information on each game is often outdated.

You don't have to mount the files at all. You can just start the emulator and then use that to browse to the folder where the ISO is. File -> Run ISO image...
I know it's not an .ISO file, but it will accept .MDF files as well.

You need to choose an CDVD plugin first though. Config -> Configure

I use the Linuz ISO CDVD 0.9.0 plugin, which is the default one I guess.

Yes, after posting that, I did get it to work. The game started off alright, controls seemed a bit delayed but it started to get really choppy, controls really delayed, and overall unplayable after 20 minutes or so. Got to experience some of it. Intro movie was awesome, menu was sweet and ran perfect. I did rename the image file so maybe that had something to do with it not loading before.

What a bummer, really wanted to play that game tonight but it looks like it just won't happen. Thanks for the reply though.

ArjanN said:
Pretty sure those green screen issues were fixed relatively recently. There's still some other bugs but they can be worked around.

What your CPU clock speed?

3.0 GHz quad core, but I fixed the problem. Found a newer version of the GDsx plugin and it works fine now.

RSLYG

More Tekken 5 & SC3

why3yv.jpg

2mgqoeb.jpg

6pwy6e.jpg

a45rpu.jpg

2i0sow4.jpg

35a1yes.jpg

2vhtclh.jpg

Does someone have a good setting list for Persona 4? I'm getting weird glitches where the main character will turn in to Chie randomly and the Dojima residence floor will freak out a lot.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
ShockingAlberto said:
Does someone have a good setting list for Persona 4? I'm getting weird glitches where the main character will turn in to Chie randomly and the Dojima residence floor will freak out a lot.

Are you using DirectX 10? The Persona games have issues with DX9 and GSDX. There is also a setting under Config>Gamefixes that addresses some geometry issues in Persona games., its called VU Clip Hack.

What would be the best way to eliminate screen tearing without getting bad control lag? Would the GSdx "Wait VSync" option be the way to go or would it be better to use Triple Buffering and VSync from D3D OverDrive?

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
vag 2.0 said:
gsdx plugin gives me a lot of flicker, but not zerogs - any ideas? or should i just stick with zerogs
When using GSDX try changing the Interlacing method if the screen is moving up and down.. while in-game F5 cycles through the different methods.

The screen shots I've seen in this thread are amazing!
Unfortunately I don't have a powerful enough PC to run this emulator yet

Sorry for posting this in here but is there a vga/scart to HD converter thingy that I can get for my PS2 so I can get images close to these? My games look terrible when I play them on my 56 inch HD DLP TV :(

SOLDIER

FoxSpirit said:
Yes, because the DirectX10 version of the engine runs better.

Interesting. Do I have to download a specific build of the emulator, or will any do the job?

I've experienced major slowdown with games like Godhand and Yakuza. Could the update to 7 actually speed them up?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
jett said:
http://ps3media.ign.com/ps3/image/article/101/1010319/final-fantasy-xiii-20090803013038422.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://i39.tinypic.com/1zocmzb.jpg[IMG]

You might be on to something...[/QUOTE]
What have you done? :lol

Easy_D

never left the stone age
I seriously didn't realise the first pic was FFXIII until I copied the links to the pics to show some people how great FFXII looks in a nice resoution :lol

Cdammen

Wow, the texture work in FF12 is awesome. I always loved the visuals of that game, not just technically but also artistically, and the music made the beautiful scenery come to life even more.

Ceebs

Himuro said:
Well, FF12 LOOKS great in it, but what about like, emulation wise? Any major bugs or glitches? I can play the whole game in this?
If you have any of the speed cycles at 1.5X or 2.0X the FMV will be a choppy mess, but other than that nothing I have noticed.

Tzeentch

I was hoping to use this to do justice to Killzone 1, but it comes out a mess. I know it's only listed as In-Game but I was hoping at least for some beauty shots. Anyone manage a combination of plugins and settings to get it at least not artifact-filled?

luka

Loves Robotech S1
And now for something completely different...
Mushihimesama at 1080p running in tate mode on my 32" lcd. A significantly flawed port suffering from blurriness and interlacing is cured of all visual shortcomings. :D

rsr0wo.jpg

28webdf.jpg

143g6f5.jpg

14vpo5c.jpg

xlmm4m.jpg

Not doing well at all, but it's hard to take cool looking screens while trying for a high score. ;)

Himuro said:
Well, FF12 LOOKS great in it, but what about like, emulation wise? Any major bugs or glitches? I can play the whole game in this?

It looks and plays better in motion. I've got a solid 60fps @ 1920x1200 with 4xAA/AF. It definitely looks better than most 360 games.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
darkwings said:
Both PCSX2 and Dolphin are great emulators!

<3 Wind Waker HD
Wind Waker Sans Audio, right?

Teetris said:
What are the chances of this supporting DX11 and getting an awesome bump in emulation?
DX10 seems to be pretty good, and they can improve on it even more. DX11, we'll just have to see, but it may be overkill.

Few ICO (PAL) screens, playing it at 1920x1080 on my tv (playing in 4:3 w/borders of course). Images trimmed w/Photoshop.
pcsx2-r1888-2009-10-11-00-29-20-53.jpg

pcsx2-r1888-2009-10-11-00-28-59-11.jpg

pcsx2-r1888-2009-10-11-00-21-28-64.jpg

Clipboard-7.jpg

Clipboard-6.jpg

Clipboard-5.jpg

Clipboard-4.jpg

Clipboard-3.jpg

Clipboard-2.jpg

If someone could put up some pics of Shadow Hearts: FTNW at a fantastic resolution with 4x AA/AF, that would be awesome. It was always my contender for best looking game on PS2 3D-wise. Odin Sphere, however, always has everything else on PS2 beat.

Chairhome

Finally upgraded my rig (and I think its partially because I really wanted this emu to work well on my machine, haha). I'm getting very good results. Is everyone using 1920x1080 for the internal res? And are you guys using frame skip at all to let it run smooth? Right now its working well for me, with the occasional slowdown. Haven't tried frame skip though.

Splatt

Depends on the game. Some games require native resolution to be used (God of War II, for example) or else you'll have graphic glitches that make the game almost unplayable. Frame skip I only use on Metal Gear Solid 3. Most games run smoothly with almost all speed hacks turned on.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
luka said:
And now for something completely different...
Mushihimesama at 1080p running in tate mode on my 32" lcd. A significantly flawed port suffering from blurriness and interlacing is cured of all visual shortcomings. :D

Nice. What computer/plugins/settings did you use? The game normally runs fine on my computer (Phenom II x3 720 @ 3.4 Ghz, Radeon 4870 1 gig), but sometimes dips to around 50 fps.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Finally got PCSX2 to work (it still won't play DVDs/CDs, but iso files work just fine), and holy shit does Kingdom Hearts look nice and crisp w/ bilinear filtering and 16x AA :eek:

Anyone know what's a good AMD processor that can run games like FFXII and MGS3 at full speed? Gonna update my dual core soon, so I want to make the most out of my next processor and make sure it can do everything I want.

CamHostage

I've really got to seek out a machine that can run this emulator, it makes everything look so nice again!

By the way, does anybody have a copy of the game Ikusagami (aka Demon Chaos) that they could try on this emulator? I always found that to be visually stunning (it's that Dynasty Warriors clone that could literally put over 65,000 enemies in the stage) but I'm not sure if it would look awesome because of the filtering or awful because of the simplistic modeling and textures?

yanhero

FF13 looks pathetic in that pic, why did they even bother spending years on a new engine when it barely looks better than FF12? The environment is so flat and dull. Flat green texture as the ground should not be acceptable this gen.

riceandbeans said:
Anyone know what's a good AMD processor that can run games like FFXII and MGS3 at full speed? Gonna update my dual core soon, so I want to make the most out of my next processor and make sure it can do everything I want.

Get an Athlon II X4 or a Phenom II X3 or Phenom II X4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom