• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NieR: Automata |OT| "I wouldn't expect too much from this game if I were you."

You could also have walked away and left him to live with his memories.

Whether he lives or not is debateable, he never returns to the village and the ending D cutscene cuts to the empty village in the same way if you had killed him. I think the conclusion that you're supposed to draw is the he kills himself as the alternative is wishful thinking in a Yoko Taro game XD

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I meant it more as you can do that as an extra dick move. :p

Though thematically I always found it as the most appropriate choice.

Stormus

Quick question. At about what level do you complete the game?
I just got control of A2 a couple hours ago and am level 45, and I feel like I'm making good progress

Robiin

There's a bit of repeated content, but overall more new content.
Thanks. Oh, do you keep everything you have purchased/unlocked when you move across playthroughs (like weapons, upgrades and chips)? I'm trying to keep myself spoiler free but I want to know if I should purchase everything I can.

I'm currently excitedly downloading this to my PS4 and am itching to play it ASAP. I remember hearing at launch there was a bug where you'd get stuck if you played before the complete file downloaded. Is that still the case? I want to play some tonight and then hop to Persona once I hit the pre-load wall, but I don't want to loose progress. Thanks in advance for lettting me know about this.

Ferrio

Banned
Thanks. Oh, do you keep everything you have purchased/unlocked when you move across playthroughs (like weapons, upgrades and chips)? I'm trying to keep myself spoiler free but I want to know if I should purchase everything I can.

Yes, even side quests as long as you've 100% completed them will carry over.

Finally wrapped it up today - Ending E complete.

Ultimately, I'm really disappointed in myself for not liking the game more. Reading the impressions of Route C onward got me insanely hyped, and I wonder if that is my own fault. The entire time playing Route C I thought, "This is sort of cool, I guess. Maybe I haven't gotten to the mindblowing stuff, yet." And it just...never came.

The game just petered out for me. The credits rolled for E and that was it. I never forged any kind of emotional bond with any of these characters and for the life of me, I can't understand why. I'm frustrated with myself that I found the story bland, unoriginal, and boring.

Part of the reason I think is that events "jump" around too much. Nothing feels like it has any weight. You're in and out of intense situations so quickly, that they resolve and then it's back to the Resistance camp like nothing happened and on to the next mission.

Super bummed. I guess I didn't hate my time with it - I did put 36 hours into it. Combat was great, and the character design was super cool (and the soundtrack was stunning - easily my favorite thing about the game)...but everything else? Just never clicked, 36 hours later.

Robiin

Yes, even side quests as long as you've 100% completed them will carry over.
Thanks. I should really just play and advance the story whenever I feel like it then, and stop worrying about missing stuff? :)
I'm currently excitedly downloading this to my PS4 and am itching to play it ASAP. I remember hearing at launch there was a bug where you'd get stuck if you played before the complete file downloaded. Is that still the case? I want to play some tonight and then hop to Persona once I hit the pre-load wall, but I don't want to loose progress. Thanks in advance for lettting me know about this.
You can play through the tutorial but not further until it is finished downloading and installing. You can put your PS4 to rest even and the game will let you continue when it's finished. HOWEVER!! there is no save point during the tutorial so if you switch games or turn off your PS4 before it has finished downloading/installing and you've reached the next chapter where you can save, you will have to play through the tutorial again - it's about 40 minutes long.

AAK

Just started the game. I always start games with hard mode. But this is pretty ridiculous so far with the whole "no saves allowed yet". No lock on is also incredibly wierd for a character action game as well.

Do you guys recommend to start with normal or hard is funner?

Thanks in advance.

Just started the game. I always start games with hard mode. But this is pretty ridiculous so far with the whole "no saves allowed yet". No lock on is also incredibly wierd for a character action game as well.

Do you guys recommend to start with normal or hard is funner?

Thanks in advance.

Don't play the prologue on hard, you can switch it later

Finally wrapped it up today - Ending E complete.

Ultimately, I'm really disappointed in myself for not liking the game more. Reading the impressions of Route C onward got me insanely hyped, and I wonder if that is my own fault. The entire time playing Route C I thought, "This is sort of cool, I guess. Maybe I haven't gotten to the mindblowing stuff, yet." And it just...never came.

The game just petered out for me. The credits rolled for E and that was it. I never forged any kind of emotional bond with any of these characters and for the life of me, I can't understand why. I'm frustrated with myself that I found the story bland, unoriginal, and boring.

Part of the reason I think is that events "jump" around too much. Nothing feels like it has any weight. You're in and out of intense situations so quickly, that they resolve and then it's back to the Resistance camp like nothing happened and on to the next mission.

Super bummed. I guess I didn't hate my time with it - I did put 36 hours into it. Combat was great, and the character design was super cool (and the soundtrack was stunning - easily my favorite thing about the game)...but everything else? Just never clicked, 36 hours later.
Don't feel bad.

I had the same sort of muted reaction to the characters and the various plights they jumped in and out of until I re-watched Ending D and realized that
9S knew the whole time about 2E's mission to kill him
yet went through with the repetitive cycle anyway out of love for 2B. Like, I was originally sort of confused why he was going so crazy with wrathful vengeance until a helpful stroll into the spoiler thread and further reflection of the story brought the full weight of the Madoka-esque cycle upon my fragile heart.

I highly recommend reading through the spoiler thread. So many things I didn't quite catch the first time that end up resonating so much more strongly in hindsight (and therefore on subsequent playthroughs).

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Don't feel bad.

I had the same sort of muted reaction to the characters and the various plights they jumped in and out of until I re-watched Ending D and realized that
9S knew the whole time about 2E's mission to kill him
yet went through with the repetitive cycle anyway out of love for 2B. Like, I was originally sort of confused why he was going so crazy with wrathful vengeance until a helpful stroll into the spoiler thread and further reflection of the story brought the full weight of the Madoka-esque cycle upon my fragile heart.

I highly recommend reading through the spoiler thread. So many things I didn't quite catch the first time that end up resonating so much more strongly in hindsight (and therefore on subsequent playthroughs).

There is also the thing where there is side content that fleshes out some details that will add to the experience.

There is also the thing where there are side content that fleshes out some details that will add to the experience.
Yes, some of the side-quests that I didn't do the first time (I still kick myself for not bothering with
collecting a gift for Operator 6O
) are really helpful for fleshing out the world and the character's fun little quirks.

Finished route c. I chose
A2
. does this mean i have to play the next two playthroughs as
9s
? I like
9S
but I dont like playing as that character. If I chose
9S
would I be able to play as the other character?

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
Finished route c. I chose
A2
. does this mean i have to play the next two playthroughs as
9s
? I like
9S
but I dont like playing as that character. If I chose
9S
would I be able to play as the other character?

Chapter Select and select the decision moment to do the other ending

Hektor

C-Egz1jUwAApkW6.jpg:large

Awesome

Welp.

Since this POS game crashes, without fail, 30 minutes into any battle, I'm pretty sure that it is literally impossible for me to beat the level 99 superboss at my current level.

So fuck it, guess I'll have to overlevel myself for the upcoming DLC. Where is the fastest place to level up?

Welp.

Since this POS game crashes, without fail, 30 minutes into any battle, I'm pretty sure that it is literally impossible for me to beat the level 99 superboss at my current level.

So fuck it, guess I'll have to overlevel myself for the upcoming DLC. Where is the fastest place to level up?

The boss pit back in the Desert Zone now spawns infinite enemies just for this purpose.

The boss pit back in the Desert Zone now spawns infinite enemies just for this purpose.

Thanks!

But I might not have to do it now, I tried a new approach which deals quite a bit more damage, which will probably be enough to let me win before the game crashes. I can probably do it at my current level. Just got ending Y with this approach

big fake

In about 5 days I will be done my first year of uni and the first thing I've been waiting so eagerly for months to is finally playing this masterpiece.

I preordered it and doubled dipped to show Taro my support and man oh man there hasn't been a time I've been dying to start a game. All this pent up energy from the lack of gaming. It's gonna be a good month guys. Can't wait to dive in!!!

Just did first hour of C. I am so addicted to all of this. Quick question about my next playthrough

I picked A2 so do I just simply pick 9S in my next playthrough?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Uhm in the fight with
Adam in the white city
am I supposed to get bumped back to the checkpoint every single time I lose? Way back
in the crater
. That seems...excessive

LotusHD

Banned
Welp.

Golden Rabbit statue in the amusement park. Play as 9S, kill most of the machines surrounding the statue, hack and control a machine, then go in front of the statue and hack it in order to trigger the fight.

Then kill it through hacking. Save, load the game up again, rinse and repeat.

Man o Man...

[Route C Spoilers]

Pascal. Goddamn it. and while this is happening, and we're learning about cores and how they give the machines their conscience, 9S is out destroying them in Resource towers.

Holy shit this story. So my question, per above, is

As the player, knowing what you know about the cores, can you avoid having 9S go to those Resource Unit towers or whatever and destroy the cores and just high tail it to A2 (who he wants to murder)?

Akainu

The hacking range is so frustratingly inconsistent sometimes i can do it halfway across the screen other times i have to be right on the enemies ass.

The Technomancer

What the fuck is wrong with this bullshit final boss fight on the A ending? I do not understand what I am doing wrong when
I'm staggering around unable to dodge and he unleashes a salvo of shots right at me that are completely unavoidable

EDIT: This is such complete bullshit. I've burned through all of my stockpile of healing items and all my good chips because of how difficult it is to find my body during this fight. This is not fun. This is not interesting. This is not challenging. This is just stupid

What the fuck is wrong with this bullshit final boss fight on the A ending? I do not understand what I am doing wrong when
I'm staggering around unable to dodge and he unleashes a salvo of shots right at me that are completely unavoidable

EDIT: This is such complete bullshit. I've burned through all of my stockpile of healing items and all my good chips because of how difficult it is to find my body during this fight. This is not fun. This is not interesting. This is not challenging. This is just stupid

Make your pod do the work? His bullets shoot straight so you just stagger left or right while pod is shooting and blasting a laser. Back away from him.

Antiwhippy

Yeah I don't think I've ever foudn that fight hard? Stay at distance where the bullet spread is bigger and just shoot him.

The Technomancer

If you didn't use your pod I'm going to laugh.

I'm shooting nonstop with it and its doing like 4 damage per hit, which is fine, war of attrition and all that, except for the part where he unloads two dozen shots directly at me and my slow ass can't stagger out of the way fast enough to avoid getting hit three times in a row

Antiwhippy

Hmmm, I would just take some of the buffs that ups your bullet damage to get things over quicker, but this is the first time I've heard of anyone having trouble with this section. Most of the bullet patterns are pretty easy to thread through.

Worst comes to worst set it to easy.

Not sure what advice I can offer other than to bring more healing items, considering I burned through every last one for that fight. Although I think all my trouble was because of awful framerate drops in the lead-up due to my low-end rig.

Also, Yoko Taro was totally ripping off the final boss of Ikaruga again, wasn't he.

The Technomancer

I ended up starting the entire fight over and doing alright, I was getting frustrated because I had reached the final section but lost literally every single decent combat chip and burned through every healing item on hand, leaving me doing that final section basically naked, but I kept being able to reach that final section so I didn't start over

I ended up starting the entire fight over and doing alright, I was getting frustrated because I had reached the final section but lost literally every single decent combat chip and burned through every healing item on hand, leaving me doing that final section basically naked, but I kept being able to reach that final section so I didn't start over

For your pod

Equipt blaster
Pod chips: cool down, defense, range attack buffs

Top Bottom