• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yooka-Laylee |OT| Reptile Rolling in the 90’s

Jonnax

Played a bit. I'm liking the vibe.

Though I'm finding the music so far off putting.
It doesn't feel original but rather like bootlegs of Banjo tunes.
So you'd have a few notes of an old tune then it subverts your expectations and goes off into a different melody.

It's the equivalent of this:
1g7pKnU.jpg

ultrazilla

I backed this on Kickstarter and changed my code to the Nintendo Switch version that apparently still doesn't have a release date.

I'm just going to buy this when it goes live on Steam. Will it be midnight tonite on Steam? Anyone know?

Rarius

Ugh, if it's good, I don't want to wait for a (potentially) bad Switch port, even though it feels right to play the game on a Nintendo Console again

mhayes86

I backed this game, but I'm really interested in seeing how the Switch version performs, so I might wait around for that since I already have so much on my plate right now. Hopefully by then any other updates will have been released.

hydruxo

I backed this game, but I'm really interested in seeing how the Switch version performs, so I might wait around for that since I already have so much on my plate right now. Hopefully by then any other updates will have been released.

What version did you choose? The deadline to swap over to the Switch version passed a few months ago. Unless you're just saying you're thinking of getting a separate copy.

Anyone playing on PS4 Pro? If so how does it look/run

Just trying to figure out if I should preorder on Steam or PSN before I leave for work.

JonnyKong

Still no physical copy today for me :( what's annoying is that I don't even know if the game has tried coming for me in the post, no slip or anything has been left in my postbox.

I may just end up buying it digitally and selling the physical copy if it doesn't turn up tomorrow.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
Enjoying thoroughly so far bit two things bothered me so far:

-Rextro's Kartos minigame ugh
-the first boss Rampo. Double Ugh

Wow I didn't realize the PSN code wasn't preload, you can actually play now

Doesn't matter much as I have to work today anyways but still cool

benzopil

Glad most of you like it. I thought I'm crazy when I saw so much negativity from reviewers and was publishing my 8/10 review.

Just FWIW they did say it's coming this year and that they're working to get it out ASAP. I hear ya though, if we weren't still busy with Zelda we would be playing this on XB1 tomorrow.

Yeah, I love the old Rare games so i really couldn't wait any longer.
I'll probably buy it again for Switch just to support the developers.

The Toybox Demo was fun as hell so I can't wait to play the full game in 4 1/2 hours!

Sponge

Banned

The Toybox Demo was fun as hell so I can't wait to play the full game in 4 1/2 hours!

That's my plan, too. Buy it now and if I enjoy it enough, double dip on Switch.

The Third Heat

Neo Member
Enjoying thoroughly so far bit two things bothered me so far:

-Rextro's Kartos minigame ugh
-the first boss Rampo. Double Ugh

Ugh, yeah. That Rextro game was a mess. Add in the stupid reverse control power-up and I'm pretty sure I never want to play that thing ever again. That time trial pagie may be one I never get.

Kinsei

Banned
I think I've gotten everything I can in the first world (20/25 pagies) with the moves I currently have so I'm off to world 2 the next time I play. The game is a ton of fun.

Arttemis

It's gorgeous, sounds fantastic, and looks like it'll be a lot of fun.

The controls are a bit sensitive. It's like you don't immediately lose much momentum changing directions or letting of the stick, so when you expect to turn and make fine adjustments, you might blow right past your objective.
The camera doesn't control like you'd expect, where holding up on the left stick simply points the camera up. Instead, it's like Banjo-Kazooie, where the camera seemingly bumps into the ground and is having to be dragged closer to the characters to get an upward shot.

The only two changes I would make would be 'quality of life' changes that decouples the camera control speed from collisions with the environment, and to reduce acceleration when making fine adjustments to controls. These are definitely not deal breakers, though!

kadotsu

Banned
I literally played the game for only 2 minutes between two P5 sessions but is there something weird going on with how the game is averaging movement inputs? When I do the input that should result in going forward in a straight line Y&L are ever so slightly drifting to the right. I even had to load up Ratchet & Clank to verify that I'm not going crazy or my Dualshock is broken.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Pls don't say things like that bro 😧
In a way it sounds wrong, since most of Rare's best games are on Nintendo systems, but consider this: Rare has been with Microsoft for fourteen years, almost half its existence. It was with Nintendo for nine.

maxcriden

Nice! Hope you dig it. I'll look forward to reading your impressions!

In a way it sounds wrong, since most of Rare's best games are on Nintendo systems, but consider this: Rare has been with Microsoft for fourteen years, almost half its existence. It was with Nintendo for nine.

That is truly bizarre to think of, but thank you for pointing it out as it's interesting to think about. I'll still say though that I wouldn't think a Rare-esque mascot platformer would be associated with a Microsoft platform.

Piss I got it for PS4 thinking the Pro would be ideal for it, should have just went PC or waited for Switch impressions. I'm not a fan of this BS mid gen "upgrade" that seems to be optionally supported and needs a giant spreadsheet to explain what / if games even do with it.

I wish this had been live on Steam as soon as the backer codes went out, I want to play it already!

A little scared at the impressions I've heard in some of the threads about this game being more like Tooie than Kazooie (Kazooie's one of if not my favorite game, and Tooie was just meh to me), but I'm looking forward to finding out for myself.

At the very least I hope this game does well enough for them to make a sequel so regardless if this one is great or not there's the potential that they'll get another chance at it.

Got my PS4 code and loaded this up. Will have to play it later today. Don't have a ton of experience with the old Rare platformers, so this should be interesting.

Stop It

Perfectly able to grasp the inherent value of the fishing game.

And critically, Microsoft own the entire studio now. In the Nintendo era they were only a minority stakeholder.

Still though, most people of my age would likely still associate them more with Nintendo.

Anyway, I'll be the 10th person to complain the Steam backers still can't play yet :(

Waiting for the game to be finished, in the way Rare would have considered a game for N64 finished (after a number of delays).

I'll wait for the orchestral score and 64 bit shaders or whatever, for sure.

I ordered the Deluxe PC version which is supposed to be signed, but I received it today and it isn't?

Or is the CD signed rather than the case? That's disappointing if so, as I was considering leaving it in it's shrink-wrap (as I also received an XB1 digital version anyway). Plus, even if I do open it, a signed case is better than a signed disc, as the case is better for display.

Taramoor

It's gorgeous, sounds fantastic, and looks like it'll be a lot of fun.

The controls are a bit sensitive. It's like you don't immediately lose much momentum changing directions or letting of the stick, so when you expect to turn and make fine adjustments, you might blow right past your objective.
The camera doesn't control like you'd expect, where holding up on the left stick simply points the camera up. Instead, it's like Banjo-Kazooie, where the camera seemingly bumps into the ground and is having to be dragged closer to the characters to get an upward shot.

The only two changes I would make would be 'quality of life' changes that decouples the camera control speed from collisions with the environment, and to reduce acceleration when making fine adjustments to controls. These are definitely not deal breakers, though!

The controls and camera don't bother me all that much, but I would probably add a more detailed list of pagies. There are so many per stage, and keeping track of which ones you've gotten would be a big improvement over just how many. Like how the stars in each of Mario 64's worlds would offer vague clues as to what the goal was.

played it for a bit, too tired to really get into today. so far, the camera is definitely a problem. when you got a collectathon on your hands trying check every corner but can't because the camera's stuck on some rubble or a stupid crate, ugh. also, there's no shut-up-button, you have to wait for the dialogue to be done and even then it'll take some second till you can click for the next box to fill up with more pointless chatter. and they all have lots to say!

it really feels like a banjo-kazooie mod, not much has changed (if anything really), I can understand the reviews.

on the other hand, it's banjo-kazooie. :3

also, laylee is the cutest thing!

I don't understand this. Like I didn't understand the reviews. You criticize the game for being oldschool but at the same time you love Banjo Kazooie (or YL being like BK)?

That doesn't make sense.

played it for a bit, too tired to really get into today. so far, the camera is definitely a problem. when you got a collectathon on your hands trying check every corner but can't because the camera's stuck on some rubble or a stupid crate, ugh. also, there's no shut-up-button, you have to wait for the dialogue to be done and even then it'll take some second till you can click for the next box to fill up with more pointless chatter. and they all have lots to say!

it really feels like a banjo-kazooie mod, not much has changed (if anything really), I can understand the reviews.

on the other hand, it's banjo-kazooie. :3

also, laylee is the cutest thing!

As far as I'm concerned you have the possibility of making the dialogue to appear much faster, to the point of automatically filling the box. At least there was in BK-BT and I'm pretty sure I've seen people doing that in older footage of YL.

Top Bottom