• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim -- First Gameplay Trailer!

Zeliard

I <3 Memes said:
Probably just the difference between sprinting and walking during combat.

I was thinking that but it seems strange the running would have this beautiful bobbing movement going while walking is devoid of it.

I Am Now

Banned
Dresden said:
Worst fix ever.
2t7WQ.gif

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Just saw trailer...motherfucking goosebumps!
I've waited patiently for this, my body is ready. Day 1 PC fo sho.

DennisK4 said:
Gorgon

angel.jpg

1) Risen 2 is going to rock everybodies world.

2) Mass Effect 3 is on my Top 3 anticipated games. If I have to explain why, you are hopeless.

3) What the fuck is Ni No Kuni?

4) Deux Ex is not an RPG

If Deus Ex isn't an rpg, what makes mass effect 3 one?

Dennis

Banned
Oblivion can be fixed to play as good as Morrowind but with better graphics, so

Oblivion > Morrowind

Graphics are sooo important.

Dresden

First time struggling through Vvardenfell, whiffing at rats and mud crabs > wandering around human green tree lands (with snow).

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I guess if you want boring environments, lame quests, gimped magic and the worst leveling ever, then yeah, go have at it with Oblivion.

Durante

DennisK4 said:
Oblivion can be fixed to play as good as Morrowind but with better graphics
Mods can do a lot for Oblivion (I've got 255 installed), but they can't fix some regressions from Morrowind. One example would be the architectural variety. And while mods can give you levitation, they can't make the world/dungeons be developed with that in mind.

Waiting to see more animation, they suck at it so I hope they improved it with this.

Also what program are you using to make those gifs?

Gorgon

Zeliard said:
Yeah, dunno if it's actually in there though.

theelderscrollsv_skyricm4x.gif

In this Dennis grab you can see him basically sliding across the ground as in older Beth games.

Would add a lot if they can get a head-bobbing mechanic in first-person that simulates this:

theelderscrollsv_skyri6m7c.gif

In one he is walking and in the other he is running. Head bobbing may be on while running only (and it makes a lot more sense that way).

On the other hand, Oblivion doesn't have Cliff Racers.
DennisK4 said:
Graphics > Art design

There I said it.

GAF fetishism of 'Art design' is just that - a fetish.
Really? I love it when both come together to create a beautiful game, and I wish I didn't have to choose between one or the other, but I'll take ingenuity and art design over graphics every day. Metroid Prime comes out on top of so much games precisely because of this.

Sorry for the derail.

I liked the look of the dragon shout in the trailer, I'm no longer worried about that.

Rapstah

DennisK4 said:
Graphics > Art design

There I said it.

Well they sort of go together in the graphics leap between Morrowind and Oblivion, for me Morrowind is so low-res I can't really tell what the art is going for.

Forkball

Looks cool, but they are really pushing the fact that this game has dragons in it. They do know that they didn't invent dragons, right?

DennisK4 said:
Graphics > Art design

There I said it.

Don't you think art design falls under graphics?

edit: not that I disagree with you, it just seems like a matter of definition.

LiK

One thing I wanna see are the new faces and facial animations. You barely see any of that in the trailer. Can I finally make a good looking character and are the NPCs no longer muppets?

Zeliard

Gorgon said:
In one he is walking and in the other he is running. Head bobbing may be on while running only (and it makes a lot more sense that way).

You're not entirely motionless when you're walking. It's jarring that one has head bobbing and the other is completely static. It should just be different degrees of it.

I loved oblivion but god was i disappointed with it. It's just not as good as morrowind. It's not very memorable. Cyrodill was boring and not very unique, i expected it to be Romans in China with huge rainforests. :/ I mean Morrowind had flaws, but the game was so original and the villains were cool, hell the game was very grey-grey morality.

Darklord

Banned
DennisK4 said:
Graphics > Art design

There I said it.

No. God, no. What's the point of amazing graphics if it looks ugly and/or generic?

kitzkozan

Lyphen said:
I guess if you want boring environments, lame quests, gimped magic and the worst leveling ever, then yeah, go have at it with Oblivion.

And I'm sure Skyrim will have pretty glaring flaws which cannot be detected yet since we only have a trailer to go by.

- Probably a boring/stupid story
- Bethesda can't write,we know that
- Don't expect much from quests
- we will see how the combat system hold up,these guys aren't From software...
- we will see how the leveling and level scaling end up

I predict yet another 93-94% rated game with ton of game design flaws...

I just noticed the way the snow is falling during the first-person running segment through the forest. Very nice. I see snow for a good seven months out of the year so it's great when developers understand its behavior.

Clevinger

Zeliard said:
You're not entirely motionless when you're walking. It's jarring that one has head bobbing and the other is completely static. It should just be different degrees of it.

It might just be hard to see in that scene, because when he's walking in town in third person, there's a slight bob.

Zeliard

DennisK4 said:
Graphics > Art design

There I said it.

The two aren't mutually exclusive, you know. It's when tech and art work hand-in-hand that you end up with some of the prettiest stuff out there. And there are examples of games where the art is good enough to mostly overshadow tech limitations.

Some little things I noticed in the trailer (I'm nerding out. Only made the 'most important ones' full size):

Watchman with a torch: http://i.imgur.com/u4oGX.jpg

A horse:
MKm9O.jpg

Buildings on the natural bridge: http://i.imgur.com/CS3Ue.jpg

A look at the face of an old person:
0b6xa.jpg

The face of evil: http://i.imgur.com/7vRUn.jpg

"That guy's being killed, who cares?": http://i.imgur.com/JiSve.jpg

Badass Draugr:
iJise.jpg

Where'd his head go?:
9TLt3.jpg

Armor lock's in the game, too:
7QTq8.jpg

Scars on this guy's face:
WdRNf.jpg

Golden pillars: a Dwemer ruin?: http://i.imgur.com/qJghR.png

Lots and lots of spiderwebs: http://i.imgur.com/mgTG7.jpg

Blood splatters on weapons and characters?: http://i.imgur.com/KpDuw.jpg

Dragon skeleton and destroyed landscape?:
wfjOG.jpg

KKRT00

Ratsofatsorat said:
Just to clarify, all of this trailer was captured on Xbox 360. Also, the draw distance is not faked in any way.
Can You tell me what type of anty-aliasing solution are You using? :> It looks like something similar too MLAA, and its definately better that edgeAA from Crysis

Thanks in advance ;]

WanderingWind said:
Well, you may be right. Why don't you tell me what you know about ME3 and we'll compare notes.

Ha, ok. Well assuming that the evolution (devolution?) of the first to the second game continues with the 3rd. Even if it stays the same as the second, it's no more and probably less of an rpg than deus ex appears to be (based on screens of inventory/upgrades).

Dennis

Banned
I enjoy playing games with technically good graphics but generic art design more than games with shitty graphics but hot 'Art direction'

Often art direction is used as an excuse for lazy, incompetent, console graphics here on NeoGAF.

Zeliard

Clevinger said:
It might just be hard to see in that scene, because when he's walking in town in third person, there's a slight bob.

Indeed, remains to be seen. Only reason I'm focused on that at all is because I think it has a substantial effect on immersion. Past Beth games have felt like you were disconnected from the world due to the sliding feel of movement.

spicy cho said:
Is it wrong of me to dream of co-op for the entire story?

Yes and you should feel awful.

As for the guy who crossed off Mass Effect 3 and put some random japanese rpg in place, you should feel even worse. I wish I could punch an opinion.

Top Bottom