• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sly: Thieves In Time Coming To (Vita/PS3)!!

mangaroo

Banned
I've also never heard of the series/played a previous title but will likely be picking it up for the vita. I can live with a stable 30fps and will take the portability over another console platformer (after reviews ok it actually - concerned about switching costumes quickly on the vita version since no L2). I can see how some bigger fans of the series would want the buffed version instead/aswell though - not convinced that the only noticeable difference will be the framerate drop yet. Seems a few vita titles have been hit and miss in terms of quality and performance unfortunately and I'd prefer to hold out on preordering for the "extra" vita (non-essentials). This looks wicked fun though, don't get me wrong. Really looking forward to having a 3d platformer on the vita, haven't played one in ages either. Shinobido 2 didn't quite scratch the itch.

Anyway I was watching some videos on youtube and I found one from E3 last year of a Boss fight (not sure how late on) but it's pretty awesome.

Also I have played a little of ratchet and clank a long while ago but don't really remember much of it. I expect a ratchet and clank title isn't that far off either. I will probably still end up picking up sly if it is a good port, but for those that are familiar with both which would you recommend for the slightly more mature gamers. Still have that explorative curiosity but need something that has a somewhat decent challenge and less of a time waster. Judging by the trailer for the new ratchet title, seems like they are focussing on flash a little too much for my liking. Seems more geared towards kids than Sly?

Derrick01

Banned
It does look pretty damn good on Vita. I just reeeeeally hope the Vita gimmicks are optional, it should be mandatory by Sony to not force motion and touch crap on everyone. It's a big enough deal to stop me from buying games and a Vita in general.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
It does look slick. I'm hoping that Sorny puts up a reasonably priced bundle, because I want this for both Vita and PS3...

VanWinkle

Man, that Vita footage looks great. And it looks native res, too, although that's a little hard to tell from the video.

iRqSLC0e5cxLm.jpg

VanWinkle

Probably not the best idea to sarcastically say that in a thread about a 100% console port.

Okay, but it's a game that nobody was expecting would be on Vita, has good production values and a high budget, and is coming day and date with the PS3 version. I say his point stands.

Derrick01

Banned
Okay, but it's a game that nobody was expecting would be on Vita, has good production values and a high budget, and is coming day and date with the PS3 version. I say his point stands.

It's still a console port though. I'll be getting the PS3 version so even if I did have a Vita it would be a bit redundant to get both. My trophy whore side would probably win that battle though.

My point was it's the same game. You don't counter a ___ has no games argument with ports.
Actually you can. Can you play it on the vita? On Launch? do you have the same experience? So why isn't the PS3 version the port? for all you know it may have been developed before hand. My point is that because the game is launching at the same time it can be considered as a multiplatform game and not a port

lantus

Probably not the best idea to sarcastically say that in a thread about a 100% console port.

I think people are seriously underestimating the value of games like this. From my perspective, this looks a lot more appealing than the PS3 version simply because it will look for the most part like the console version, I can take it anywhere I go and has potential for more gameplay experiences.

VanWinkle

My point was it's the same game. You don't counter a ___ has no games argument with ports.

Why not? You seem to be using the term "port" like it's derogatory or something. It's not like if the game is on another platform, it suddenly doesn't count as a game. I don't see Batman Arkham City on PS3 as an Xbox 360 port - I just see it as another game in the PS3 lineup.

I mean, Sly 4 will only be on one handheld platform; doesn't that count for something?

Derrick01

Banned
Why not? You seem to be using the term "port" like it's derogatory or something. It's not like if the game is on another platform, it suddenly doesn't count as a game. I don't see Batman Arkham City on PS3 as an Xbox 360 port - I just see it as another game in the PS3 lineup.

I mean, Sly 4 will only be on one handheld platform; doesn't that count for something?

If you were comparing the 360 and ps3's lineup you wouldn't use arkham city because it's on both. What would be the point of that?

I mean I guess if you're comparing 3DS and Vita you'd include it, but I would still use the unique games argument over ports. If I can play it elsewhere it shouldn't count in a debate between systems or someone asking "what does this platform have?"

VanWinkle

If you were comparing the 360 and ps3's lineup you wouldn't use arkham city because it's on both. What would be the point of that?

I mean I guess if you're comparing 3DS and Vita you'd include it, but I would still use the unique games argument over ports. If I can play it elsewhere it shouldn't count in a debate between systems or someone asking "what does this platform have?"

I don't know, I guess I just see it differently. I think comparing 3DS's lineup versus Vita's is vastly more pertinent than Vita's versus PS3's. Yeah, it's on another platform, but it's a completely different type of platform in usage habits.

But now you're changing the basis of your argument from ports don't counter "____ has no games " arguments into one of ports not mattering when comparing platforms.

"_______ has no games" implies there is nothing to play on a system, not that the games can only be played on it.

Sly 4 looks like an awesome game, and is an option for people who own a Vita. That would serve to at least minimally negate the argument that there are no games for the platform.

Derrick01

Banned
"_______ has no games" implies there is nothing to play on a system, not that the games can only be played on it.

Right and if you were responding to that why would a port count if you could play it on a better platform? Whether it's improved graphics, resolution, FPS, or merely just the bigger screen of a TV. If I'm looking for games to play on Vita I don't want people recommending me this or the rumored Assassin's Creed 3 port. Give me something unique to spend $40 on.

Amir0x

Banned
I have a PS3 so I'll not get the inferior version, but I wonder if they can't maybe provide a voucher of some kind. Like maybe "Buy one version, buy second version for $20!" Or.. something.

Agent X

The portions of the game where you use the gyroscope tilting to guide projectiles through the air reminds me of Heavenly Sword, which had some similar sequences that I enjoyed.

Trevelyan

Banned
I have a PS3 so I'll not get the inferior version, but I wonder if they can't maybe provide a voucher of some kind. Like maybe "Buy one version, buy second version for $20!" Or.. something.

Considering Sony did this recently with MLB The Show, I definitely expect them to follow suit here as well, where if you buy the PS3 version, you can get the Vita version for $20.

Boss Man

If I had a Vita I'd probably get that version. It looks fantastic, and I feel like I'd get some extra enjoyment out of just acknowledging that I'm playing something so good-looking on a handheld. Aside from that, with the extra control options and portability the Vita version might even arguably be better.

could work. As a download at least. Eliminate the retailer, printing, shipping, etc, and that's what they would make from each sale. I'd go to something as low as $15 even.

mangaroo

Banned
It's still a console port though. I'll be getting the PS3 version so even if I did have a Vita it would be a bit redundant to get both. My trophy whore side would probably win that battle though.

This guy.... Loads of people would prefer it on the vita:

1- the vita is new, people want games for it
2- it's still a platformer, something that I am sure MOST* people (once they've really thought about it) would prefer to have in their hands for half the fps.

The whole reason we bought a vita was because we saw the advantages in it over the PS3 and why it would be worth the hench downpayment. To assume we'd not prefer some games on it is ridiculous, especially when they'd be perfectly suited for it (which most games actually are). Sure I'll be playing max payne3/ batman arkham asylum/sr3 on my pc (for now), but most other games would do just as well on the vita. I mean, if I can play wipeout to my liking at 30fps with this, I'm not really sure what wouldn't work on the vita.... Well, BF3.

*I'm willing to bet there will be more new fans to the series than old with this title, especially with the Vita release coming out and its smaller catalogue of titles (less competition-a lot of attention).

Agent X

Good point, mangaroo.

Playing the game on PS3 has certain advantages over Vita, and playing on Vita has a different set of advantages over PS3. I just like the fact that they're giving gamers a choice of where they want to play it. Everyone has his own preference, so you can decide to play it on the system that you think is more suitable, and someone else can play on whatever system he wants to play it on.

I'll get this game, but I haven't decided yet on which system. I'm leaning toward Vita for now, but this could change depending on the pricing and the feature set. However, I probably won't buy it for both systems unless there's some extremely good package deal.

Top Bottom