• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | May 2017 - Praeying for Dino Crisis

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
ahh I see, so no one knows what service it's on? lmao

With any luck, that'll end today. It'd be rather asinine to show off the PC version of the game but still have it be the only one that can't be pre-purchased digitally.

yuraya

What if...

Blizzard has decided to compete directly with Valve now? Go toe to toe with Steam.

They open the flood gates and allow any PC game on the Blizz client.

200.gif

Hektor

lmfao they just rebranded the battle.net client to "blizzard", no way there's gonna be anything but blizzard games on there

What if...

Blizzard has decided to compete directly with Valve now? Go toe to toe with Steam.

200.gif

They'd have to make an entirely new client for that, as the current design literally doesn't allow for more than a handful games without completely destroying any form of usability

Lanrutcon

I think at this point if you aren't playing at least 1 Blizzard game then you should totally get together with the other 14 people and form a club.

JaseC

What if...

200.gif

The leaked roadmap mentioned a timeframe for opening up Battle.net to third parties... but that was seven years ago now, a time where the service didn't share the same name as its creator.

Wok

I don't like Bizzard games. I see how addictive they can be, but I don't like them for what they are.

Pixieking

Banned
Why would you sell a multiplayer game on a service where it can cannibalise players and sales from another of your multiplayer games, but not sell it on competing services to offset that cannibalisation?

I mean, it's possible, sure - this industry is fucking dumb at times - but it seems very unlikely.

Laieon

I don't like Bizzard games. I see how addictive they can be, but I don't like them for what they are.

This is how I feel about Valve games that aren't portal (L4D is alright). Doesn't stop me from using Steam.

If Blizzard opened their doors and actually tried to create a competing service, I'd switch to them in an instant. I adore their games (Hearthstone aside). They're easily my favorite in the business.

JaseC

This is how I feel about Valve games that aren't portal (L4D is alright). Doesn't stop me from using Steam.

Well, Steam does carry thousands of third-party games whereas Blizzard (the service) sells zero, so, understandably, someone who has no interest in Blizzard (the company) games is also going to have no interest in using Blizzard (the service) as it has literally nothing else to offer. Blizzard, Blizzard, Blizzard!

I'm surprised that Call of Duty multiplayer isn't funneled through there.
Also Origin isn't just Origin games. In fact I think there are more Origin games on Gog than Origin.

I think at this point if you aren't playing at least 1 Blizzard game then you should totally get together with the other 14 people and form a club.

I had one but lost it. I lost my account that had Diablo II, Warcraft III, World of Warcraft, and Starcraft 1 and 2. I logged in to play some Starcraft 2 about a years ago and found out that Blizzard regularly purges inactive accounts. But never fear, they will send you a two week warning before doing so, during which you can reactive the account. I found the email in my junk mail box 3 months after the fact.

gelf

I've never played a Blizzard game outside of demos. Only ones I would consider​ playing now would be the old RTS single player campaigns, I preferred Westwood for that stuff back in the day.

"Games as a service", heavy on micro-transactions.
Overwatch's is entirely for cosmetic items, and Blizzard develops new heroes and maps for this game. HotS is F2P, but you can be competitive without even spending a dime (you don't need all the heroes).

patapuf

Overwatch's is entirely for cosmetic items, and Blizzard develops new heroes and maps for this game. HotS is F2P, but you can be competitive without even spending a dime (you don't need all the heroes).

I like blizzards games and think they have a fair monetisation model but they are still GaaS based on microtransactions (exept starcraft).

Just like Dota or CS.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
Destiny 2 will launch on Battle.net - not Steam and not Origin.
There is no Battle.net anymore though so Destiny 2 PC is obviously cancelled.

Wok

This is exactly what my sentence was hinting at. I am old school: I don't want any micro-transaction in my games, be it optional or not.

Hektor

"Games as a service", heavy on micro-transactions.

I can see where you're coming from, tho i think it's weird to say that you "don't like blizzard games" when their modern monetisation model is your issue rather than the games themselfs, blizzard made a lot normal full priced games in the past after all

...wut?

You have the wrong dev here, mate.

Their last 6 games/releases all featured microtransaction in some form, so he isn't wrong imo

I like blizzards games and think they have a fair monetisation model but they are still GaaS based on microtransactions (exept starcraft).

Just like Dota or CS.

Starcraft actually started having microtransaction and a bunch of DLC's with LotV

patapuf

The point is they are mostly fair. GaaS is not inherently bad, inferior to normal games.

I agree, they are not automatically bad (i play quite a few).

But not everyone is into playing the same game for a long time and some prefer self contained stuff to GaaS.

Starcraft actually started having microtransaction and a bunch of DLC's with LotV

I somehow missed that. Been a while since i started up SC2.

Coop heroes are fair. Blizzard didn't have to develop new mode long after the release of the last expansion. But they did. Announcer packs are just whatever.
This is exactly what my sentence was hinting at. I am old school: I don't want any micro-transaction in my games, be it optional or not.
What an arbitrary limit to set upon yourself. You'd miss many quality games.
I agree, they are not automatically bad (i play quite a few).

But not everyone is into playing the same game for a long time and some prefer self contained stuff to GaaS.
I feel comfortable with investing in Blizzard games because of their longevity. It's not like if I don't take advantage of the service right now the experience would deteriorate. The games would remain robust packages years down the line.

yuraya

The leaked roadmap mentioned a timeframe for opening up Battle.net to third parties... but that was seven years ago now, a time where the service didn't share the same name as its creator.

Can you imagine if Blizz actually opened the flood gates back in 09? Or even a couple years b4 that when WoW was a household name and the most popular shit. They would have crushed it by now and easily exceeded Valve's success as a digital distributor.

Gaben beat everyone to the punch by not being selfish. Now everyone is trying to be like Steam.

Bigby

Doesn't make sense having Destiny 2 on Battle.net or whatever it is called when WWII is on Steam and it launches later.

So Bungie's own launcher or Steam, Windows store is a no I'd guess given how previous CoD went.

Auraela

Banned
Game in uk launching new reward system today.

£36 a year

10% reward points on all purchases instead of the 2%

2% on trade

4% on console purchase etc.

If u dont make the yearly cost back they make up.diffeence in points

Was in my local one just now getting steam vouchers im sure many will buy into this system and keep them longer

I had one but lost it. I lost my account that had Diablo II, Warcraft III, World of Warcraft, and Starcraft 1 and 2. I logged in to play some Starcraft 2 about a years ago and found out that Blizzard regularly purges inactive accounts. But never fear, they will send you a two week warning before doing so, during which you can reactive the account. I found the email in my junk mail box 3 months after the fact.

data

They... purge accounts you've bought stuff on? That can't be real?

Arthea

it actually can, I had some of my accounts purged due to not using them for a year or so. not only Blizz does that too.

edited: I usually miss mails informing me about it too!

Sarcasm

Yeah..must be decades when they purge or they don't purge inactive accounts with solid purchased games or something.

I didn't use mine for 5 years once....lol.

Everything still was there...even my diablo 2 stuff.

No, I registered games I bought on disk. Support said I could create a new account and re-register the games but I threw out the games ages ago. I think if i bought a game on battle'net, it would have been saved. My fault for not logging on for 3+ years.

Lanrutcon

Their last 6 games/releases all featured microtransaction in some form, so he isn't wrong imo

Of course he is.

Only 3 Blizzard games are heavy on the microtransactions, and one of them is a collectable card game so it comes with the genre. If you have to dismiss the majority of their releases in order to make a point, then it's not much of a point.

Ascheroth

The only Blizzard game I've played was Diablo 2 ages ago.
Their current offerings aren't really for me.

Also on the topic of microtransactions for cosmetics:
I don't like them. I can understand them in FTP-games and they are better than locking entire characters, modes, maps, etc behind microtransactions, but I still don't like them.
Team FashionSouls, FashionDogma, FashionEater, etc :p

Lanrutcon

The only Blizzard game I've played was Diablo 2 ages ago.
Their current offerings aren't really for me.

Also on the topic of microtransactions for cosmetics:
I don't like them. I can understand them in FTP-games and they are better than locking entire characters, modes, maps, etc behind microtransactions, but I still don't like them.
Team FashionSouls, FashionDogma, FashionEater, etc :p

I was joking about the club!

Teeth

I have literally never played a Blizzard game aside from the 10 minutes I tried Overwatch at the office. Their multiplayer focus just means they make games I'm not that interested in.

I would like to play Diablo 3 someday, though I'd probably pick it up on console because I prefer direct control for those types if games.

Anteater

My friends aren't interested in Destiny 2 so I'll likely never play it unless I could find it for like a dollar (or was it a penny?) from a price glitch like with the Division :p

I have literally never played a Blizzard game aside from the 10 minutes I tried Overwatch at the office. Their multiplayer focus just means they make games I'm not that interested in.

I would like to play Diablo 3 someday, though I'd probably pick it up on console because I prefer direct control for those types if games.

Diablo 2 is still amazing. Diablo 3 is good but no where near Diablo 2. Play Diablo 2!

As for me, when I was a kid I played a lot of Starcraft 1 and then Diablo 2 for 10 years and WoW for many years. Never played Overwatch, Dota, ect. I feel like my Blizzard days are behind me (until a Diablo 2 remaster or new MMO)

Why would you sell a multiplayer game on a service where it can cannibalise players and sales from another of your multiplayer games, but not sell it on competing services to offset that cannibalisation?

Because Activision doesn't want to pay Valve a 30% cut of each sale?

Because Destiny and Overwatch are two very different games and can probably co-exist without that much cannibalization?

Because platform might not matter much when it comes to cannibalization, because most people on Battle.net are probably already on Steam anyway so it's not like moving the game "off" Battle.net wouldn't actually make any sort of difference on that metric?

Because it makes it easier for them to do cross-promotions like the one they are doing now between HotS and Overwatch that might actually lead to increased sales overall, or make it easier to re-engage players so they can capture more money via loot box sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom