• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else feeling physically sick from the Witness?

eot

Banned
Interesting that it's affecting so many people. Maybe someone should use this game to study how and why it happens.

Thanks for the heads up, I guess. I'll hold off until an FOV slider is patched in, and potentially a crosshair of some sort. I'm pretty sensitive to this type of stuff. Alien Isolation was the last game that wrecked me with its FOV and effects, and it took quite a lot of tweaking to make it playable to me.

I get this with Valve games. :/ I was really looking forward to this and will buy it regardless; hoping its not too bad.
Yup, same. Playing Valve games for just 10~15 minutes will have nauseating consequences for an hour or two.

Mik2121

Did you guys had the same issue with ethan carter?
Didn't affect me. I have played many games for the last 25 years, tons of them FPS and for quite long hours, and this is the first to make me feel sick.
I placed a small circular sticker in the middle of my screen but I'm still feeling dizzy after 30 mins. I assume half the reason is mental now since I expect to get nauseous, but I'll try to do something about that and see if it improves...

Just watched a few minutes of the GB quicklook and I think it's affecting me too. The camera movement is just very strange. I can't really pin it down, but it feels very unlike other first person games.

The speed, the acceleration.. something seems wrong with it

Mik2121

Just watched a few minutes of the GB quicklook and I think it's affecting me too. The camera movement is just very strange. I can't really pin it down, but it feels very unlike other first person games.

The speed, the acceleration.. something seems wrong with it
Yep, this is one thing that's bothering me right now playing; there's inertia when you start walking. The fact that the camera is kinda slow doesn't help either.

Uhyve

Low fov is terrible. Shit give me a headache. Games dont get me sick, but going outside makes me sick now. God I hate life.
Seriously, looking at what people are saying and gameplay footage, the FoV is not too low. If anything, it could be too high (didn't Marathon have this issue when it came out on XBLA? High FoV plus high framerate?).

I was feeling sick last night after 4 hours. In most games I need a 90 field of view.

I think the movement didn't help either. Walk too slow run too binary.

Seriously, looking at what people are saying and gameplay footage, the FoV is not too low. If anything, it could be too high (didn't Marathon have this issue when it came out on XBLA? High FoV plus high framerate?).

My guess is that it has to do with the specific acceleration curve used for movement and looking around. It feels wrong. FOV may contribute to the effect though, not sure.

Does this affect people on PC playing with MKB as well? I'm having trouble finding decent footage.

After my first hour with the game, I started feeling tired. Another hour passed and motion sickness hit me.

I took a break, came back an hour later and played for two hours again. This time I tried not to focus too much on the screen while moving and things improved. So, it's not a big deal for me, but it is a bit annoying.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
My guess is that it has to do with the specific acceleration curve used for movement and looking around. It feels wrong. FOV may contribute to the effect though, not sure.

Does this affect people on PC playing with MKB as well? I'm having trouble finding decent footage.

Playing with a controller helped me, but I also have a nasty cold and cough currently. The coughing made my mouse and, therefor, view go all over.

Most games can sidestep the motion sickness for me by having an fov of 90. My monitor has a built in reticle overlay thing that I might try the next time I play the game. Unstable frame rates are also a big problem for me.

Playing with a controller helped me, but I also have a nasty cold and cough currently. The coughing made my mouse and, therefor, view go all over.

Most games can sidestep the motion sickness for me by having an fov of 90. My monitor has a built in reticle overlay thing that I might try the next time I play the game. Unstable frame rates are also a big problem for me.

Playing HL2 with a cold was one of the worst gaming experiences I ever had. Had to lie down the rest of the day and completely stopped me from picking the game up again ever haha

IvanJ

Banned
Did you guys have the same issue with ethan carter?

No, this is actually the very first game I've ever experienced sickness, and I've played hundreds of them of all genres and types.
That's why I didn't even think it was the game, I thought it was food or flu or something. I was moments away from puking my guts out had I not stopped.

There was no issue at first because I was solving the initial puzzles, but once I got through the apple orchard and the puzzles started to get a bit more complicated, I started to move around more and I was toast.

I'll try again tonight by sitting much farther away, but I might need to wait for the patch, because I'm still a bit ill a few hours later (though I'm sure it's mostly psychological at this point)

No, this is actually the very first game I've ever experienced sickness, and I've played hundreds of them of all genres and types.
That's why I didn't even think it was the game, I thought it was food or flu or something. I was moments away from puking my guts out had I not stopped.

There was no issue at first because I was solving the initial puzzles, but once I got through the apple orchard and the puzzles started to get a bit more complicated, I started to move around more and I was toast.

I'll try again tonight by sitting much farther away, but I might need to wait for the patch, because I'm still a bit ill a few hours later (though I'm sure it's mostly psychological at this point)

I know ethan carter on PS4 had some settings trying to prevent this issue (adjustable fov, visible cursor, no headmotion) if I recall correctly.

No_Style

The last game I felt a little sick with was HL2's hovercraft sections. I hope by the time I get around to The Witness, it will be resolved or I won't be affected.

Dart

I'm looking forward to trying The Witness but just looking at all these posts makes my stomachs queasy already, I get motion sickness quite often. & I really don't want to go through what I did with infamous second son.

Then again, everything is fine in moderation.

I don't get motion sick from games, but I could feel something was slightly off when I played for a few hours yesterday. Thankfully it didn't effect me as badly as some other people who are experiencing it.

The biggest issue I had is that the right analogue look speed (on PS4) is extremely slow. It feels awful trying to navigate corridors in the game and not being able to turn fast enough.

Nabs

Yeah. I was done after about an hour. This is usually very rare for me, but it's similar to how I felt with Talos.

The game's got a bit of a weird way of moving your character. When you start moving, the acceleration is extremely slow and then it picks up, but stopping is much more sudden. Another thing that seems a bit jarring is changing directions mid movement, it's completely sudden and it feels like it just snaps you in the other direction with the exact speed you had before.

I think it's a combination of FOV, the slow acceleration (feels like you're slowly starting to drag a huge block of concrete behind you) and the sudden stop when you stop moving.

I don't really have that much of a problem with The Witness, but it is a bit jarring. I've had similar problems with Bethesda's games, especially Fallout 3 and Skyrim, to the point that I've given up on them. Those games usually have a very sudden snap while starting movement or stopping. It's not that the movement makes me sick, it just makes the whole experience very frustrating for me.

DeviantBoi

Wouldn't changing the FOV in the PS4 version mess with 1080/60? I figured they chose that FOV for optimization reasons?

Anyways, the game fucked me up after 30 minutes or so of playing. Gave it a couple of more shots throughout the day, but I was forced to lie down and close my eyes to get over that sick feeling every single time.

I called Sony and requested a refund. They agreed as a one-time thing.

Pisses me off that I had to waste my one refund on such a great game.

piccolo85

Both my wife and myself are not experiencing problems with The Witness and both of us had problems with The Talos Principle.

low-G

I haven't gotten it yet, but my fiancée felt very sick after playing.

I'm going to be very interested if they can nail down why this game is making people feel ill.

Last game like this was Marathon Durandal for 360, that made many people very sick.

woen

Why is it so hard to put a fucking FOV slider in the options on console (or PC) ? Especially when you spend almost 10 years on your game.

Also that seems like a QA problem.

system11

Just sat down and watched a video of the PS4 version. I'm happy I saw this thread as I was planning to buy it.

Unfinished Swan currently holds the record for making me feel ill though. I felt like I wanted to die after playing for only 15-20 minutes and 3 hours later I was still feeling a bit fragile.

zXe

Guys what is the sweet sport for FOV, 90 is better than default but it does seem a little warped, might give 75 to 80 a go.

Also I did start feeling the onset of motion sickness, but this was when I had been playing straight for a good 2-3 hours after already having been tired and I was trying to do a reflection based puzzle which kind of fucked with me so early in the morning.

Elios83

That's kinda unfortunate. I've not tried The Witness but I have a history with the issue. Worst offenders for me in the past have been Half Life 2, Jak&Daxter, Flower, a few levels in Unfinished Swan and very recently Everybody's Gone to the Rapture.
It would be interesting if people studied the issue and knew how to avoid the problem which obviously completely draw the fun out while playing certain games.

Mentioned this in the VR thread, interesting to see a significant response here. Playing The Witness is the first time I've ever felt any significant nausea in first person when using a screen. I've not played an FPS in a while, and I was using a gamepad which felt like it had strange acceleration - I'm more familiar with keyboard and mouse.

However, Mirror's Edge is one of my favourite games - I had no problems there, and I also played that with a gamepad. I know Dice gave that a wide FOV and a reticule to combat nausea, hopefully the same can be done here.

DeviantBoi

Last game that I played and made me feel this way was Far Cry 4.

Anyone know if that game also had a narrow FOV on the PS4?

johnyqd

I noticed this right away (it's very common for me to get motion sickness during first person games).

Short term solution - remote play on Vita. Not the best, but due to the teeny tiny screen I was able to play comfortably for an extended period with no negative effects.

Just now added the command line from the steam discussion forum to change it from a 54 verical FOV to a 59. I feel a world of a difference now, even though I only felt tinges of nausea before.

That sucks. I hope a slider is patched in for fov.

I got motion sickness one time and that was with The Darkness 2. It was so weird how motion sickness kicked in for that. I've never had motion sickness before that, and I've done a ton of relatively motion sickness inducing things.

This was actually the same game that I first experienced nausea due to a low FOV with too. Somehow I managed to persevere and finish it without knowing how or if it was possible to change it. I've been strongly aware of FOV differences ever since.

padlock

I wonder if it's the nature of the game itself that is causing some people to get headaches. I mean the game is a pretty difficult puzzle game which gives your brain a good workout. Add to that the fact that you have to scrutinize the environment closely, and I can see fatigue setting in fairly easily.

mattp

I don't get how people get sick off this. I'm not trying to be mean, I honestly don't understand how.

what is there to get lol
people play it, it makes them motion sick
no different than getting sea sick or car sick etc
theres nothing to get. if it doesnt happen to you, it doesnt happen to you

also...remote play on vita seems like a really good idea
edit: and you can limit it to 30fps, which some people seem to think also helps?

tuxfool

Banned
Guys what is the sweet sport for FOV, 90 is better than default but it does seem a little warped, might give 75 to 80 a go.

Also I did start feeling the onset of motion sickness, but this was when I had been playing straight for a good 2-3 hours after already having been tired and I was trying to do a reflection based puzzle which kind of fucked with me so early in the morning.

I'm pretty ok with 62 vertical.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Making the FOV wider will also make some of the puzzles a lot more difficult. I had to put mine back to 54 to go through a few.

Hopefully a crosshair will help.

DavidDesu

Wonder if its to do with the walking.. The only thing that annoyed me when I tried it last night was the one walking pace the game has when you use the analogue stick (yes inknow you can walk at another faster pace). The player clunks forward quickly into one pace. You can't adjust it and go very slowly like with typical FPS controls. You can't strafe circle objects to look at them properly close up. It does frustrate me as I just wanted to peer around the world but the singular moving speed is a bit irksome to me. I hope he considers patching in variable speeds on the analogue stick, I don't see it impacting the game at all.

ced

I suffer from motion sickness, and some first person games do it, oddly enough I've been fine so far in this one.

Catvoca

Banned
I think part of the reason the FOV is the way it is is because it plays into how you solve some of the puzzles. Not saying it's justified if this many people are getting sick, just answering people who say "why aren't there fov options?". Your point of view is so important in this game. Hopefully they find a way to fix it. I also agree with others that it's probably more to do with the player and camera movement, it definitely feels a little weird, but it hasn't bothered me.

For the record, I haven't had any problems with the game at all.

I was worried this game would make me sick, simply based off of so many people saying so. Most games don't give me motion sickness.

I played for hours last night and never once felt off.

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Watched the Giant Bomb video and within 2 minutes was feeling queasy. Now I have to wait half an hour for the sickness to fade. Sucks, I was looking forward to this game.

Low FOV does this to some people. I think it is negligent for a game dev to not include a wide FOV option or have it default. People have different resolutions so a slider should be required for first person games. Even third person camera games, ie over the shoulder view, should have a FOV slider.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Apologies if suggested already, but try standing a game box right beside the TV when you're playing the game. I used the same trick (successfully) when Half-Life Episodes gave me motion sickness due to the narrow FoV. The PC versions of HL (bar HL2) were the same, but at least on those you could increase the FoV.

Thanks for the tip! I'll try remote play and if that still doesn't work I'll try this.

Are you playing on a monitor or on a TV? You're meant to think of the screen as a window, and the FoV should reflect that, that's why console games have a low FoV (you're further away from the screen, so the angle presented should be narrower) and on PC you have a high FoV (because you're closer).

I've not played the game yet, so I'm just curious.

Playing on a 70" TV but sitting quite a ways away.

Top Bottom