• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cancelled Crash Team Racing 2010

Exentryk

CTR was my favourite game back in the day. Used to play 4 player battles with friends... was so awesome.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind if they made the original one online. That would be epic.

I loved CTR, but I have as much faith in someone else making a CTR game as I do someone else making Crash Bandicoot platforming games. None. The key ingredient in CTR and Crash titles was ND.

We were in talks to do this, given we did Madagascar Kartz. In fact, when we first started talking to Activision about Madagascar Kartz it was actually supposed to cover more Dreamworks franchises but then they scaled it back (though it did include Shrek and Monsters vs Aliens characters and tracks). We ended up doing Madagascar Kartz from scratch in about 7 months across PS3, 360, and Wii for a very modest budget (it was a "value" title). It sold 1.2m units from the last report I've seen, and made Activision a ton of money.

Of course, rather than have us roll just onto a Dreamworks "sequel", they wouldn't give it to us unless we took on something else they wanted to farm out which we didn't want to touch (budget way too low and timeframe too short for us to do a quality game even by budget standards). So we walked away from it all.

Unfortunately, the contract we cut with Activision meant they had no source code or assets for the Madagascar game from us. So they had to build the Dreamworks game including all assets from scratch. It reviewed lower than our game.

So shortsighted. We were in a great position tech/asset wise and actually (strangely) really interested in doing a Madagascar Kartz "sequel", even given the paltry budget it would have had.

You were the one of Speed Racer on Wii no? Because I love that game (maybe a little on the easy side) and thought that the only thing that was missing were the dakar style races (will have gave more variation to the game and make it really unique) and the giacchinno music and speed racer original theme (although I really like the ending song).
I also liked a lot the character portraits, and even more the characters that the team invented that really never appear in the movie or the series.

That looks far too bland and sterile compared to the original CTR, probably best that it never saw the light of day. I wouldn't want another CTR by any team other than Naughty Dog anyway, Nitro Kart was horrible and Tag Team Racing was little better.

SykoTech

Crash Team Racing is the best kart racer ever, so that's disappointing.

They did try to make a successor to CTR before in Crash Nitro Kart and it was nowhere near as good, but I certainly would have been up for a second try.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
You were the one of Speed Racer on Wii no? Because I love that game (maybe a little on the easy side) and thought that the only thing that was missing were the dakar style races (will have gave more variation to the game and make it really unique) and the giacchinno music and speed racer original theme (although I really like the ending song).
I also liked a lot the character portraits, and even more the characters that the team invented that really never appear in the movie or the series.

Yes, that was us.

You might have found the game a little easy because we skewed it towards a younger audience.

We left the Dakar style races out on purpose because we only had 10 months to make the game, and felt trying to do both would be too much of a stretch to do either justice.

And we weren't allowed to use music from the film, but the artist we worked with Winifred Philips did a great job we thought.

The characters were fun (character art was by Udon), and we did have a little coup. The Wachowskis liked what we were doing so much that when they had to show the leaderboard in the movie, they actually used all the names we had come up with. Mattel even was going to use our Trixie car design as the basis for the second run of toys, but that didn't go ahead when the movie tanked (along with our hopes for a sequel :( ).

That game did over 1m units too though, outperforming expectations :)

Yes, that was us.

You might have found the game a little easy because we skewed it towards a younger audience.

We left the Dakar style races out on purpose because we only had 10 months to make the game, and felt trying to do both would be too much of a stretch to do either justice.

And we weren't allowed to use music from the film, but the artist we worked with Winifred Philips did a great job we thought.

The characters were fun (character art was by Udon), and we did have a little coup. The Wachowskis liked what we were doing so much that when they had to show the leaderboard in the movie, they actually used all the names we had come up with. Mattel even was going to use our Trixie car design as the basis for the second run of toys, but that didn't go ahead when the movie tanked (along with our hopes for a sequel :( ).

That game did over 1m units too though, outperforming expectations :)

Its amazing to hear all this details. And its too bad you had so little time to make the game, becuase the dakar races would have been amazing, and well, as you say you had the idea of implement them at first.
And you made an excellent job with the characters, possibly with the car-fu my favourite part of the game, I would love to see a futre F-Zero with the crosstalking characters (and for people that dont want it you can switch it of of course, like in Speed Racer).
Can I ask why they didnt allow to use the movie or series music? Possibly over budget?
I liked some of the traks on the game, and I love the ending song, but one of my favourite movie ost of all time was Giacchino's work in Speed Racer and it was a pity you couldnt use it.

Too bad the movie tanked, I would have loved to see a sequel of the movie and the game.
Thanks a lot for the first game, had a great time with it.
I also had a great time with Shatter of course.

CamHostage

Of course, rather than have us roll just onto a Dreamworks "sequel", they wouldn't give it to us unless we took on something else they wanted to farm out which we didn't want to touch (budget way too low and timeframe too short for us to do a quality game even by budget standards). So we walked away from it all.

Unfortunately, the contract we cut with Activision meant they had no source code or assets for the Madagascar game from us. So they had to build the Dreamworks game including all assets from scratch. It reviewed lower than our game.

One of the secret shames of the game design business is the bidding process and the hardball that publishers can play (or the lowball that hungry/foolish developers can play.) Consumers just see the product and determine if it's good or bad (as well they should, in the end that's all that matters,) but if you get to know the business at all, it can be surprising sometimes that anything at all of artistic merit (let alone quality) can be produced.

Luckily for High Impact, nobody seemed to notice that they made this game (I don't totally love this company's main three products, the PSP games - though Secret Agent Clank's puzzles were worth fighting the camera - but I see skill and talent there that some day could go somewhere.) The Dreamworks Kartz game is clearly a rushjob product with little pizazz for even the budget family market (and a lesser game than its predecessor, I don't own Madagascar Kartz but I've played that.) Taking such a lose-lose job like Mario describes could have hurt the company if they ever have ambitions again to be a studio behind name-brand titles (though these days, not every company can/should hold out for the next big project when five take-what-you-can-get projects will put food on the table.)

Yawnier

Banned
CTR is quite possibly my favorite kart racer of all time, so for me, it would have been interesting to see how this one could have turned out despite not being developed by Naughty Dog, who I think are truly the only developer who could deliver an awesome Crash racing game.

Crash Nitro Kart and Crash Tag Team Racing (both not developed by ND) were both okay, they were sort of fun but nowhere as good as the original CTR.

Skidd

Alright, what the hell Activision?

I would have bought these games for the artstyle alone. For the first time in years, Crash actually looks like his original self...

GpAjj.jpg

Why?

Sullichin

I didn't care until I read the last line of the OP. But still, newer crash designs and games have been awful.

CTR 4 Life

Takao

Banned
Just out of curiosity, how much do you guys think Crash is worth? Imagine if NaughtyDog bought the rights. I CAN DREAM.

Current day Naughty Dog would probably make the worst Crash game yet, which is saying something given all the things the character has gone through over the years.

Cancelled probably because they had the much cheaper Madagascar Kartz title in development (with us as it happened). Two games in a single category? Preposterous! Run with the licensed one (well, it did sell over 1m units at least).

I think it has more to do with Activision calling it a quits on Crash actually. The cancellation of this game wasn't so long after Activision canceled Radical's reboot for the franchise.

Why does Activision have this have this IP? -_-

Sony never owned Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon. They distributed them on behalf of Universal Interactive. Through a series of mergers, and stuff they both eventually fell into the hands that today we call Activision.

Fezan

High impact games haven't made a good game yet so in a way i am glad that it got cancelled!
still how could former ND and insomniac employees cant make a single good game

SSReborn

Sony never owned Crash Bandicoot and Spyro the Dragon. They distributed them on behalf of Universal Interactive. Through a series of mergers, and stuff they both eventually fell into the hands that today we call Activision.

Yeah I'm aware Sony never owned it but I really wish it wasn't with Activision. They don't even seem to really want to do anything with it and its sad.

Takao

Banned
Yeah I'm aware Sony never owned it but I really wish it wasn't with Activision. They don't even seem to really want to do anything with it and its sad.

Companies sometimes sit on properties they never plan on using. Many followers of various Capcom, and Konami franchises can tell you this.

Yawnier

Banned
Companies sometimes sit on properties they never plan on using. Many followers of various Capcom, and Konami franchises can tell you this.

Sad, but true. Although I would say Capcom and Konami aren't the only ones guilty of this.

I hope the guy who made the vid will share the screens in their original quality, because this is as good as we'll get as a glimpse of the game, the vid's out in the wild, and it was made using screenshots, may as well share them in their proper form.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Can I ask why they didnt allow to use the movie or series music? Possibly over budget?

It was just a rights issue mainly I think from memory. Plus we had to have the game finished 3 months before the movie came out. While we worked with members of the movie production team, we never actually saw any final footage before the movie came out.

CamHostage said:
One of the secret shames of the game design business is the bidding process and the hardball that publishers can play (or the lowball that hungry/foolish developers can play.) Consumers just see the product and determine if it's good or bad (as well they should, in the end that's all that matters,) but if you get to know the business at all, it can be surprising sometimes that anything at all of artistic merit (let alone quality) can be produced.

Luckily for High Impact, nobody seemed to notice that they made this game (I don't totally love this company's main three products, the PSP games - though Secret Agent Clank's puzzles were worth fighting the camera - but I see skill and talent there that some day could go somewhere.) The Dreamworks Kartz game is clearly a rushjob product with little pizazz for even the budget family market (and a lesser game than its predecessor, I don't own Madagascar Kartz but I've played that.) Taking such a lose-lose job like Mario describes could have hurt the company if they ever have ambitions again to be a studio behind name-brand titles (though these days, not every company can/should hold out for the next big project when five take-what-you-can-get projects will put food on the table.)

Definitely a lot more going on behind the scenes in the development of a lot of these games, even the ones at the lower end of the spectrum.

A lot of companies, including publishers, have been lucky to survive this last period of crisis given some of the shenanigans going on. Though I believe some of them are "dead men walking" given it takes time for mistakes to catch up with public companies a lot of the time (for independent publishers, it is usually a swift death).

Seems like we have made it through. For now.

Only Naughty Dog could do a good job with it

Edit: Just read that it was being created by ex-ND and Insomniac people and I looked at the vid of the Crash Bandicoot 2010 game that was cancelled. All i can say is fuck you activision fuck you sony fuck you universal and fuck you naughty dog

Takao

Banned

Edit: Just read that it was being created by ex-ND and Insomniac people and I looked at the vid of the Crash Bandicoot 2010 game that was cancelled. All i can say is fuck you activision fuck you sony fuck you universal and fuck you naughty dog

So you a big fan of the new Dante in DmC I take it?

I wish Vivendi itself fully owned Crash and Spyro, so if they ever split with Activision, they would retain the IPs, and let another company who can give a damn about them a crack.

Skylanders does not count. At least Crash has been the same character since day 1 with some tweaks here and there, Spyro's been rebooted TWICE.

Don't you fucking say that man :mad:

:c

It's true enough. Why do you want him to appear again anyway? His last few attempts have been shocking. I hate the idea that everything has to have a sequel, it can't just remain as it was. The first three Crash games are readily available, and all of them (save for maybe Crash 1) have aged very well.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I am okay with Activision keeping Crash on ice after the last few games sucked the huge meat missile.

It was just a rights issue mainly I think from memory. Plus we had to have the game finished 3 months before the movie came out. While we worked with members of the movie production team, we never actually saw any final footage before the movie came out.

Well thats impressive, becuase of you did without seeing anything final from the movie, and still staying really close to it, and sad becuase of the of the amount of time they gave you, and possibly other teams at this type of games.

t26

But the last racing game they made was Jak X: Combat Racing

shaowebb

How relevant is Crash on the market today though? He hasn't had a game in awhile and guys from his genre of platformers aren't exactly tearing through the sales figures since most people want multiplayer as a selling point. Kart Racing could probably have worked alright for multiplayer to get around that and all , but the point I'm really trying to make here is that the franchise name itself isn't really one I think holds a whole lot of weight anymore on the market to sell spinoff titles with.

Plus didn't we already have Mod Nation Racers, Blur and Sonic All Stars racing going around the market in 2010? It may have just been something they shelved due to market saturation.

Top Bottom