• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Disney secures patents for 3D gaming console

jaypah

If it ever comes to fruition I expect it to be Leapfrog handheld tier. But I thought 3D was bad for young children? Oh well, whatever. I used a view master extensively as a kid and my vision is fine.

disney_game_console_270x293.png

Disney buying Nintendo confirmed ?

If it ever comes to fruition I expect it to be Leapfrog handheld tier. But I thought 3D was bad for young children? Oh well, whatever. I used a view master extensively as a kid and my vision is fine.

One of the little gifts I got my 3 year old nephew at Christmas was a Toy Story View master! They're still goin' strong

Reading the actual patent it sounds more like they're patenting the capturing and rendering method.. 'An augmented reality device' in the wording could be any device: a phone, a 3ds, a vita...

Foshy

Could they somehow retroactively sue Nintendo?

Especially as Apple might be involved in this in some way.

Hale-XF11

I thought this patent was just for a device they're making that interacts with the 3DS or other existing gaming consoles, like Skylanders or something.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Disney to enter the handheld market and go face to face with Nintendo? it will be interesting and Disney have the money and IPs to do it.

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
I'm shocked. Nobody let fly some hyperbole yet. I'll start. Disney to buy Nintendo confirmed! No doubt with that 3DS in the pictures. Disney is without a doubt buying Nintendo. Call Kotaku. Call IGN. Call the Dorito Pope. This has to be reported.

Seriously though that doesn't sound much like a console to me. Sounds more like a device for playing around with things. Almost like a child's toy.

emag

Disney has filed an application for a patent. I wouldn't say that they've "secured" patents on 3D gaming on that basis.

Actual claim that Disney is attempting to patent:
A method for displaying content using an augmented reality device, comprising: providing a visual scene for display, wherein the visual scene is captured using one or more camera devices of the augmented reality device; adjusting one or more of: physical display geometry characteristics of the visual scene based on a viewing pose of a user of the augmented reality device; illumination characteristics of the visual scene based on environmental illumination data; and display characteristics of the visual scene to improve tone mapping output; and outputting the adjusted visual scene for display on the augmented reality device.

Looks like a method of adjusting color and geometry in an augmented reality scene based on environmental factors and the user's physical orientation. There's no mention of additional hardware beyond the augmented reality device (the 3DS or the like).

Disney has filed an application for a patent. I wouldn't say that they've "secured" patents on 3D gaming on that basis.

Actual claim that Disney is attempting to patent:

Looks like a method of adjusting color and geometry in an augmented reality scene based on environmental factors and the user's physical orientation. There's no mention of additional hardware beyond the augmented reality device (the 3DS or the like).
CNET changed their title on me.

Considering Epic Mickey 2, Epic Mickey: Castle of Illusion, and that this thing might be called the "Toy Box", I'm not interested or worried.

Top Bottom