• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Youtube terminated jamesnintendonerd (AVGN) account?

Youtube getting lame, I was going to start making movie reviews or really just me sitting in front my webcam rambling for 10 minutes. The last vid I did got flagged for copyright and monetary disabled for it. I was like, this simply isnt worth even after a drawn out appeal I still didnt get monetary back for it.

But why would you get to monetize it? I don't get this reasoning.

If anything, it should be annoying to viewers that various gaming sites put ads in their videos even for trailers, which sure has hell have nothing to do with them. And it being on Youtube, there's no server cost excuse to lean back on.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
That's kind of like browsing GAF with an ad-blocker, though, particuarly to partnered channels. What gives you the right to entertain yourself with someone else's hard work while taking away their means of recompense?
Yeah it's true, it may not be right. But I don't want to deal with 30 seconds of ads in almost every video (or 5 if I choose to skip them as soon as I can).

That's kind of like browsing GAF with an ad-blocker, though, particuarly to partnered channels. What gives you the right to entertain yourself with someone else's hard work while taking away their means of recompense?

They are already swimming in the flow of the actual creators and using a service that costs them nothing. There's always the option of putting ads on your own sites if you feel that you must get ad revenue for content that is to a great degree not your own.

That said, Youtube IS sort of shit. There was an example where Youtube pulled ad revenue for a channel because some bullshit firm had filed copyright claims on music used in their work. That music was purchased as part of the package and was not protected by the owner (in order to make sure people who purchased it could use it) and some pricks noticed that and filed their own claims.

Dueck

Banned
Yeah it's true, it may not be right. But I don't want to deal with 30 seconds of ads in almost every video (or 5 if I choose to skip them as soon as I can).

Yeah, I think there needs to be a balance. I don't mind people making a buck off something they've done or a service they provide. I just don't want to be annoyed by it either. A good ad shouldn't piss you off, like some of those on youtube do.

Card Boy

Banned
I'm not sure what annoys me more. People shitting on James for the free entertainment he has provided people over the years or people recommending the Irate Gamer.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Recommending Irate Gamer, by far.

To be fair, there is a "so bad it's good" air to his work, especially in the bizarre delivery of his lines and the storyline he's trying so hard to pull off but doesn't work in the slightest.

Beside that though, he's fucking horrible.

oatmeal

Banned
sure, the VideoGamesAwesome guy makes his whole living from Youtube as well. if you get a lot of views, you get the moneys.

I can understand a lot of views making money off of it.

But 1m a year? I had heard of people making $20K/month as the ceiling...but apparently he COULD be making almost 100K...and he doesn't even have as many views as a lot of people.

IrishNinja

glad this got sorted

A year or so ago, Youtube suddenly took down Dj Tutor's Channel. Dj Tutor is a dude that has been doing tutorial vids for dj stuff since like 2005 and has thousands of videos on his channel. Some random label complained that one of his track was illegal used in a mixing tutorial he was going. He was not even using the whole song, it was just like 20 seconds of it, the audio was not direct feed, it was playing from his speaker so it had tons of echos and whatsnot.

Youtube suddenly took down his entire channel.

It took him a few weeks of bullshit with youtube and the record label to get it back. It was INSANE, and he had to warn people not to discuss the situation because it would make things 'more complicated' for him..

dam, learned a lot about YT here today, that's some ol bullshit

Dailymotion has tits. That is quite the alternative.

+1

Mononoke

Banned
Been a long time fan of James. But yeah, his material (in my opinion of course), has gotten worse as the years have gone on. I actually just enjoy listening to James talk, and would prefer him doing his own commentary, vs. the angry nerd.

Again, just my opinion, but it seems to me, in the past year or so, he's had a harder time getting into the character, and making it work.

But regardless if you like him or not, I kind of find it weird that someone would be FOR his account being banned. Some people are so weird.

Wiktor

But why would you get to monetize it? I don't get this reasoning.

If anything, it should be annoying to viewers that various gaming sites put ads in their videos even for trailers, which sure has hell have nothing to do with them. And it being on Youtube, there's no server cost excuse to lean back on.
I don't think they should be able to monetize trailers, but what's wrong with monetizing his own review for the movie?

What's all this about him scamming people over Cheetahman?

When I saw him being called a scammer I thought it was about him making his movie with crowd sourced money, but what's it got to do with the Cheetahman review?

I don't think they should be able to monetize trailers, but what's wrong with monetizing his own review for the movie?

Assuming that they are like any other video reviews I've seen, they contain tons of material lifted from protected material. There's absolutely nothing sensible about someone being able to earn ad revenue from that. Honestly, they should be satisfied that they get a free streaming service that allows publication, asking for ad revenue is pushing it.

one_kill

What's all this about him scamming people over Cheetahman?

When I saw him being called a scammer I thought it was about him making his movie with crowd sourced money, but what's it got to do with the Cheetahman review?
It wasn't about the review. James participated in a promo vid for a kickstarter project to publish a couple of fixed Cheetahmen games. Some people claimed that the project was asking for too much (that it didn't take that much money to publish carts and there was already a rom floating in the Internet of a fixed Cheetahmen game), subsequently causing a backlash towards the project and James.

Not long after, the guy who set up the kickstarter outlined the costs and James or Mike (I forgot who) published a blog entry saying they didn't know (or something along the lines of that). Nevertheless, some people decided to tackle the "issue" which added more fuel to the fire.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
So essentially it's more of an aimless revenge? Yikes.

With that said Youtube still needs to fix its shit regarding copyright.

Wiktor

Assuming that they are like any other video reviews I've seen, they contain tons of material lifted from protected material. There's absolutely nothing sensible about someone being able to earn ad revenue from that. Honestly, they should be satisfied that they get a free streaming service that allows publication, asking for ad revenue is pushing it.
So, I assume you also think all printed gaming magazines and gaming websites are also "pushing it", because they use screens from games? Same with any tv programme about movies?
Also... jakncoke's sitting in front of webcam and rambling for 10 minutes doesn't seem to "contain tons of materials lifted from protected material"

So, I assume you also think all printed gaming magazines and gaming websites are also "pushing it", because they use screens from games? Same with any tv programme about movies?

Those magazines/websites and TV shows tend to use images/clips released by the companies for publicity purpose.

And in the UK, there's copyright exemptions for 'criticism and review', and the US has its own fair use ones.

While suspending these accounts is too far - and the one of someone just talking being taken down is a bullshit decision - the internet tends to ignore copyright a bit too much.

Top Bottom