• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo TS?!? (guess who was bored last night?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

thekad

Banned
Why digital buttons? How about just two digital analogs. Move your right thumb right for A, up for X, left for Y and down for B. And use your left thumb like you're playing with an analog stick.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I like Shogmaster's first one very much. It would need some way of emulating DS sleep mode though, preferably not by swivelling the screen.

I doubt they'll be adding the tons of extra buttons from some of the other designs, TS games could just be tate mode if they need buttons.

thekad said:
Why digital buttons? How about just two digital analogs. Move your right thumb right for A, up for X, left for Y and down for B. And use your left thumb like you're playing with an analog stick.

how do you press X and B at the same time? (I can't think of any examples where you would, but that's not the point :D )

Brak

thekad said:

that sounds terrible.

flipping_heck said:
Here's a crappy photo (no scanner atm)

DSCN0730.jpg

Its only a small bit and they do know its a mocked up design (well i hope so)
Code:
:lol                           :lol :lol :lol                  :lol 
:lol                         :lol           :lol               :lol 
:lol:lol :lol :lol              :lol :lol :lol                 :lol :lol :lol :lol

:lol

Those diagrams in the magazine are physically impossible, and that was addressed in this thread. If the top half was rotated, it would hit the buttons. Basically, the screen should be the only thing that rotates - the speakers are separate.

Plus, digital buttons suck for a D-Pad. If made digital, it should be an I-pod-esque circular touchpad that you can slide your finger on to move in a different direction

Pachinko

Those are some very slick designs and I honestly wouldn't be suprised if some of those ideas wind up in a DS successor. It'll be 2009 or 2010 before we see it though I think. It's far too successful to bother replacing it earlier.

Your tilt'n slide screen while very cool would likely be somewhat impractical due to a lack of a screen cover, I had in mind some rough ideas to get around this issue but none of them are ergonomic in the slightest and because of this I expect nintendo will basically take the current DSlite design and just add 2 higher resolution screens, remove the gba slot for an SD card slot and about 50% more power then the regular DS. The new feature to make up for a lack of backwards compatibility would be virtual console support, you'd be able to link your wii with your TS/DS2/whatever and play any virtual console wii title on the new handheld AND exclusive to the handheld VC store would be neopocket, wonderswan, gameboy, gameboy color, gameboy advance , turbo express, game gear games. Price points would range depending on the age and size of the software you'd want but it'd use the same wii points. The system would have no on board storage though, you'd have to go buy an SD card and any wii VC games would need to be redownloaded for the new handheld but not repurchased, the ownership licsence would basically allow you to pay once and download once on 1 wii and once on 1 TS/DS2/whatever.

Now to make it seem new I think it's safe to say this new DS would have a tilt sensor and maybe rumble built in to differentiate itself from the standard ds. As such it may end up initially being a bit thicker then the ds lite is but an inevitable redesign would fix that. There would perhaps be some sort of tiny analog stick/nub as well as a dpad.

Baryn

Banned
thetrin said:
Silly question but...why would you follow up a 2 screen handheld with...a one screen handheld?
Because the dual screen idea is a bust. Touchscreen is actually interesting, the dual screens are still a gimmick.

Brak

Baryn said:
Because the dual screen idea is a bust. Touchscreen is actually interesting, the dual screens are still a gimmick.
Dual screens served an important functional purpose though, because a larger single touchscreen would have been too expensive for Nintendo to manufacture.

This hopefully would not be a factor for the successor to the DS.

Baryn

Banned
Brak said:
Dual screens served an important functional purpose though, because a larger single touchscreen would have been too expensive for Nintendo to manufacture.

This hopefully would not be a factor for the successor to the DS.
I thought about whether the two screens are cheaper than one. Why would they be?

Brak

Baryn said:
I thought about whether the two screens are cheaper than one. Why would they be?
It's moreso that touchscreens are more expensive than regular screens. Although 2 smaller screens probably are cheaper than 1 larger one.

KAL2006

Banned
Shogmaster said:

Very nice. I can see Nintendo actually using version B with added analog sticks.

Here are the reasons why
1. Get a big widescreen
2. Still backwards compatible with DS game, with the vertical setup
3. Casuals will love touchscreen mode as there will be no buttons, think of iPhone
4. With the widescreen buttons setup, there is enough space to have dual analogs at the same time you can hide all the buttons and analogs so casuals don't get scared

EDIT: Damn I thought I was replying to 3DS thread, ignore this post, sorry that I bumped this thread

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
EXPLAIN HOW THIS HAS OCCURED.

I'm always curious, how has this bump actually occured. Please detail your steps to recreate this moment KAL2006.

Threi

notag
KAL2006 said:
Very nice. I can see Nintendo actually using version B with added analog sticks.

Here are the reasons why
1. Get a big widescreen
2. Still backwards compatible with DS game, with the vertical setup
3. Casuals will love touchscreen mode as there will be no buttons, think of iPhone
4. With the widescreen buttons setup, there is enough space to have dual analogs at the same time you can hide all the buttons and analogs so casuals don't get scared

EDIT: Damn I thought I was replying to 3DS thread, ignore this post, sorry that I bumped this thread
oh noooooooo~

fernoca

BuddhaRockstar said:
In his defense the google search kind of sucks.
How?
The other thread says "Nintendo 3DS" on the title, and is the first result when you write that on the search...this one doesn't; so don't know what the heck did KAL wrote to get this thread as a result. :p

SovanJedi

provides useful feedback
Some games need to use the folding screen tech in order to make use of their functions. There's a particular puzzle in Another Code/Trace Memory that really needs to uOH GOD THIS THREAD IS THREE YEARS OLD!!

methodman

Banned
divisionbyzorro said:
For what it's worth, his diagrams look suspiciously like what's in this Kotaku article on the 3DS:

http://kotaku.com/5510693/is-this-t... Shogmaster made this 3 years ago man. :lol

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Wow. What a bump.

KAL2006

Banned
catfish said:
EXPLAIN HOW THIS HAS OCCURED.

I'm always curious, how has this bump actually occured. Please detail your steps to recreate this moment KAL2006.

are you saying for me to explain how I made this accidental bump.

Well in the 3DS thread, someone linked to a single post from this thread. I assumed it was a single post from the 3DS thread. When viewing the single post I selected quote reply, and the rest is history. Again my apologies for the bump (even though I am bumping again). There are a lot of people posting here after my mistake, I say we let this thread die, we only need one thread for discussing the next DS, and that is the 3DS thread. So please let this be the last post in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom