• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamfall: Chapters finally enters production

jb1234

I'm probably partially influenced by the fact that I played Dreamfall near release, and only played TLJ last year. I'm not a fan of convoluted adventure game puzzles...the ones in TLJ were particularly non-intuitive.

Yeah, that might be part of it. I played both of them very close to their release dates and have a great fondness for point-and-click adventure games. TLJ left a giant impression (especially for its time) but I don't remember much from Dreamfall, aside from general impressions and of course, that cliffhanger ending. ;)

Syril

Well this is pretty much all I ever wanted. I hope they can get the cast to reprise their roles again. It was awesome hearing April and Crow again in Dreamfall.

Lime

I wish they would forget about the whole episodic nature. I'd rather play a "complete" game. And I hope they don't go digital only..

Still, good news. TLJ is one of my favorite adventure series.

Finally, but I agree with lightchris, really not liking episodes of games like this, would much rather just wait 6 months more and play through it all.

Completely agreed. Watch Tornquist once again end the first and second chapter as
cliffhangers.

I thought for sure this series was deader than dead.

Personally, I hope it's more like The Longest Journey than Dreamfall, sans the "cat-hair mustache" type puzzles. And I'd also rather get one whole game than have it be broken up into chapters.

derFeef

Very nice, not sure about the development process, though.

As happy as I am to see this happen, he explicitly said that he wouldn't do this. I don't want him compelled to finish something for financial reasons. At least, I hope it doesn't affect the product.

Also, any who haven't should play The Secret World. It's no more flawed than the The Longest Journey series, and it is way more innovative.
I agree with this man.

Roquentin

No way! Dreamfall had quite a few issues, but it was still a great experience, so I'm happy to see it finally get a sequel.

Midou

I'm probably partially influenced by the fact that I played Dreamfall near release, and only played TLJ last year. I'm not a fan of convoluted adventure game puzzles...the ones in TLJ were particularly non-intuitive.

I kind of agree on the puzzle aspect, though I did play TLJ first. That said, I feel the story, world, and events were more.. powerful.. in TLJ over Dreamfall. I'm okay with gameplay being closer to Dreamfall as long as it can capture the feel of TLJ instead, which was a lot darker and modern.

Dear god this news, this news.

Now Ragnar's slight responsibility shift makes perfect sense. I can't fucking wait. I agree people should check out TSW too; he brought quite a bit of his expertise in adventure games to the game, in my opinion. The lore especially.

Absolutely sterling news. I adore both The Longest Journey and Dreamfall, so this just makes me giddy with excitement. I imagine it'll be PC exclusive? I've still got my day one Xbox copy of Dreamfall and I rank it as one of the consoles best games. Would love to see Funcom continue the trend by releasing the next installment on a console/consoles also.

I kind of agree on the puzzle aspect, though I did play TLJ first. That said, I feel the story, world, and events were more.. powerful.. in TLJ over Dreamfall. I'm okay with gameplay being closer to Dreamfall as long as it can capture the feel of TLJ instead, which was a lot darker and modern.

I liked Stark more in Dreamfall than in TLJ. It was both bleak and hopeful, it wasn't a straight up dystopia like in TLJ

kSt

https://twitter.com/RagnarTornquist

Yep, it’s finally official. The sequel to #Dreamfall is on its way from my new development studio Red Thread Games. More information soon!

We’ve also received 1M NOK ($175,000) from the Norwegian Film Institute to help fund the first stages of preproduction. Yay! #Dreamfall #TLJ

Since I’m currently in the process of escaping New York (much like Snake Plissken) I won’t be able to answer all your tweets. But thank you!

HxTtM.gif

Carcetti

Great news.

Also, I don't get the Secret World hate on GAF. It's a very interesting MMO once you get past the initial hurdle and a totally unique game in some ways. I just wish the load times weren't that horrible.

Midou

I liked Stark more in Dreamfall than in TLJ. It was both bleak and hopeful, it wasn't a straight up dystopia like in TLJ

In the adventure gaming realm, there are far more Dreamfallish games than TLJ, it's hard to find great dystopian modern world games.

Also
Dragons

Isobelise

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES >< YES!

I have been waiting for ever on this, there will be pain if the turn it into a duke nukem though!!!

This message made my day ^^ And it is raining outside like I need to go and build me a boat.

Lime

But do we actually have confirmation that this sequel will end up as episodic? It might be implied in the name and Tornquist has mentioned the episodic nature of it years back, but now that it is his own "studio", wouldn't it be possible that it will be a full-fledged game rather than anything minor? There's nothing in the Tweets or in the press release that confirms it will be episodic.

Zooooooeeeeeeee.

Lol. You must have been waiting a long time for
Zoe to wake up
, huh?

Wow need to check if Hell has frozen over ... Great news !!

I hope he actually starts explaining the story. I've been waiting for answers for years.

All he's done is create more and more questions in TLJ and Dreamfall and a cliffhanger ending on each one.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Thank you Based Tørnquist!

I love TLJ and Dreamfall. I'm very excited that this story will finally get finished.

GhaleonQ

Do you have a quote of this reluctance to develop Dreamfall chapters? I remember that he stated on his blog that he would finish the story no matter the outcome - if not through a game, then a book or something along those lines.

Oh, I don't mean that he didn't want to do it at all. He didn't want to do it now.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/07/06/secret-worlds-tornquist-on-f2p-single-player-games

Tornquist: I think right now I’ve made an MMO, and it’s taken six years of my life. I’m going to stick around and stay with The Secret World for a while, but I would love to do something [single-player again].

He said that he wanted to get back at do it in 2013, of course, but he also said that in 2012, and 2011, and...

Instead of Dreamfall Chapters they should come up with a third name and just keep adding colons with every new installment. New Name:Dreamfall:The Longest Journey:NTSF:SD:SUV::

Top Bottom