• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dreamfall: Chapters finally enters production

Lime

Please actually have an ending this time.

Chapters.

"RPS: The word ‘chapters’ suggests episodic – or is that for another reason, because it’s part of a bigger story.

Tørnquist: More the latter. The theme of Dreamfall was faith, having faith and losing faith. Almost heavy-handedly illustrated with a character called Faith. The theme in Dreamfall Chapters Is more about the cpahters of life, of life being a story. That’s where the title comes in. It’s also the first chapter of something else in a way though."

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
A Dreamfall Chapters Kickstarter? Yes please.

I figured Project Eternity would be my last one for a while, and then this gets mentioned. It's like that Godfather III line: "Just when I thought I was out...they pull me back in." But in a very happy, non-murderous sort of way!

statham

just beat the first game 2 weeks ago, this is awesome news. and the first game still holds up very well.

The P+C fan in me is sad to see some people prefer Dreamfall :'(

If Dreamfall was a P+C game they could have done so much more with the story, I think. It wasn't terrible (outside of the action scenes), but definitely not a patch on the first game.

Sober

If Dreamfall was a P+C game they could have done so much more with the story, I think. It wasn't terrible (outside of the action scenes), but definitely not a patch on the first game.
It was just the action sequences and that stupid puzzle (with the golem) that really is bad. The stealth sections are okay, I guess. Either way, it was nice to see Stark and Arcadia in proper 3D to explore it, especially coming from TLJ.

The locations do look nice, and as somebody who played both games for the first time this year, I was impressed with how well Dreamfall held up visually.

(TLJ did too, but P+C games are more timeless, I feel)

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member

If it makes you feel better, I feel that Dreamfall would have benefited from a removal of the combat system and some actual effort put into the stealth mechanics. Otherwise, I thought it was superior to the first game in most other aspects (but I love both!)

If it makes you feel better, I feel that Dreamfall would have benefited from a removal of the combat system and some actual effort put into the stealth mechanics. Otherwise, I thought it was superior to the first game in most other aspects (but I love both!)

Really? I think the story in the first game is vastly superior, but to be fair it does establish the world etc so I think that's to be expected.

I do like Dreamfall, don't get me wrong!

I will probably play the games before this comes out. I wasnt so impressed by what I played of the first game, but I will give it another chance another time.

dreamfall

This is amazing news! Here's to hoping it features more adventures with April Ryan-

I almost can't believe this! Even the announcement feels like a dream come true.

was TLJ really that good? dreamfall was great so i cant imagine it being that much better.

From my perspective, the story in both games is about equally good, it's gameplay where Dreamfall really suffered. As an adventure game, I thought it sucked - only ONE puzzle in the entire game needed any kind of thought. Most of the game was just travelling where the game told you, doing what was extremely obvious, and then reaping the story benefits. With the occasional mediocre combat section.

The Longest Journey's problem was that some of the puzzles were a little *too* obtuse (especially right at first - it takes quite a bit of effort to get to where the story starts really coming into its own). But most of the game struck the perfect balance of exploration and puzzle solving, all while telling an awesome story.

Perkel

Banned
Fuck yes !

I know this is controversial but i think dreamfall was far better than TLJ sure gameplay part was crapy but mature story was excelent.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Really? I think the story in the first game is vastly superior, but to be fair it does establish the world etc so I think that's to be expected.

I do like Dreamfall, don't get me wrong!
I like how the story continued and expanded in Dreamfall, but I still love what TLJ established.

Hearing this news and having this discussion has me itching to replay both now.

Haunted

I'd completely forgotten about this.

Loved TLJ, not overly happy with Dreamfall, but let's see what Tornquist has planned for the finale.

Esque7

I only played Dreamfall and loved it. Still need to try TLJ. Really excited over this though, been waiting a while.

Midou

I like how the story continued and expanded in Dreamfall, but I still love what TLJ established.

Hearing this news and having this discussion has me itching to replay both now.

Yeah, I was about to startup TLJ right at the announcement but I will hold off until it's about 6-8 months before the new stuff releases to replay them both, so it can be fresh in my mind. I got Dreamfall off GOG a few days ago for $7.50, right on time. I had it before somewhere but a GOG copy is always nice.

Hopefully the writing is more like TLJ and less like Dreamfall. Hopefully the gameplay is less like TLJ and more like Dreamfall, only good this time around.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, I was about to startup TLJ right at the announcement but I will hold off until it's about 6-8 months before the new stuff releases to replay them both, so it can be fresh in my mind. I got Dreamfall off GOG a few days ago for $7.50, right on time. I had it before somewhere but a GOG copy is always nice.

You should play them now, and then when you replay them, you'll discover stuff you hadn't even noticed in the previous playthrough. That, and Chapters won't be released for quite some time.

I've played Half-Life 2 about 12 times, and there's still the occasional bit of niftiness I find.

Oh, and credit to GOG for introducing me to the TLJ series!

epmode

Hopefully the writing is more like TLJ and less like Dreamfall.

Nope nope nope nope nope. I can't take another game with that kind of expository dialogue. Shit was out of control.

Flawed as it was, Dreamfall was better. I really liked where they went with the characters and the story was more interesting in general. AND you didn't have to sit through 30 minute dialogue infodumps. MOST IMPORTANTLY: Zoe > April.

(I like both games!)

Dreamfall absolutely failed as a videogame, but I loved the heck out of it regardless.

I see it as more of a visual novel than anything. Better a visual novel than the frequently awful puzzles in TLJ!

(I really DO like both games!)

~Kinggi~

Banned
All of my monies to the kickstarter. Wow man this actually makes sense now that i think about it. He's been wanting to do this for forever now since Dreamfall ended.

Midou

If Syberia III ever gets a kickstarter as well, essentially all the adventure games I loved when I was younger would get new entries..

Gambit61

Awesome news. I just played and beat TLJ for the first time a few months ago. Guess I should pick up Dreamfall sometime soon.

Retne

I'm super hyped for this. This will be the second kickstarter to get my money. I'll be there day 1. I've been waiting for this since I played Dreamfall so long ago.

Soulstar

Oh god. I need to replay these games in celebration of this news.

As for preferences I think I prefer TLJ to Dreamfall. I kinda prefer the gameplay and being able to see everything in full 3D in Dreamfall but the Journey in the first game is one of my favorite videogame experience and April > all as far as I'm concerned.

Top Bottom