• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Concave PS3 triggers are coming stateside

Zzoram

There need to be more 3rd party controller manufacturers, and they need to make DS3 + concave triggers, and 360 pad /w playstation d-pad. Screw this "customize/modify your controller" stuff.

Aske

Woo-Fu said:
Sure it will, but we'd be talking adaptation of your mindset, not of your controllers.

The odd thing is that I use the DS3 far more than the 360 pad, because I use the PS3 far more often. If it was the only console I owned I'm sure I would get used to the triggers. But getting used to something is not the same as adapting to it. I played right through The Darkness on PS3, and always felt irritated by the feel of gunfire.

I don't have a problem with the design of the buttons per se. They work perfectly as 'bumpers' in games DMC4 for example. But I find that they're poorly designed for rapid weapons fire, much like the 360s left and right bumpers would be if they were used for primary fire in an FPS.

If you can adapt, that's wonderful. But should the people who complain about poorly implemented motion control in Wii games just adapt too? Or Sixaxis control in Lair? Or the targeting system in last gen GTA games? It's possible to learn all these things, and most of them work with enough practise. I personally had no problem at all with targeting in GTA. But that doesn't mean that everyone will find that making the best of things is equivalent to making things better.

Aske

painey said:
wierd.. i just got mine today;
2300327006_d51da1aacf.jpg

Available in the UK free with this months PSM3 magazine (£4.99) which is a bargain imo.

Is this the February issue, or the March issue? And what's on the cover? Going to see if someone can pick this up for me and send it over...

And how do the Gioteck triggers feel to you?

dejay

Banned
God I hate the self righteous fucking morons on the internet sometimes. People state that they don't like the design of a certain aspect of a controller and these dick heads come back with accusations of gun fantasies, lack of motor skills, lack of adaption and bad hand design. Shut the fuck up. If you're happy with your controller go and play it and don't click on threads about concave PS3 triggers.

Anyway, I hate the R2/L2 don't-call-them-triggers - I get cramps and slippage from playing driving demos and it's the one reason I haven't got a single car game for the PS3.

sprocket

Banned
dejay said:
God I hate the self righteous fucking morons on the internet sometimes. People state that they don't like the design of a certain aspect of a controller and these dick heads come back with accusations of gun fantasies, lack of motor skills, lack of adaption and bad hand design. Shut the fuck up. If you're happy with your controller go and play it and don't click on threads about concave PS3 triggers.

Anyway, I hate the R2/L2 don't-call-them-triggers - I get cramps and slippage from playing driving demos and it's the one reason I haven't got a single car game for the PS3.

lol I love how when some one tries to use self righteous they are always self righteous about it! :lol

But yeah my 5 year old nephew has no problem keeping his fingers on a pressed trigger and he can barely get his hands around it.

sprocket said:
But yeah my 5 year old nephew has no problem keeping his fingers on a pressed trigger and he can barely get his hands around it.

Actually I'd imagine it's a lot easier for children and gamers with dainty, feminine hands.

Nizz

I had actually started a thread where I wished more devs would give you the option of using R1/L1 for fire/alternate fire over R2/L2:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243347 If these slip-on concave triggers are a help, I'll definitely pick up a pair. Being a PS3 only owner, I don't have the luxury of picking up multi-platform shooters on 360. Devs who from the start map shooting to R1, bless ya'! To the devs who don't give you the choice, I really hope in the future you allow people the choice to re-map the controls as they wish. I'll probably be bitchin' about this till I'm blue in the face, but I really believe the R2/trigger button on Sixaxis is most def not ideal for shooters. Is it totally impossible to play with the triggers? No. Less than ideal? Most definitely, yes....

Crayon

Felix Lighter said:
Wow you must really hate these triggers.

No I don't hate them at all. In fact, I think they are a pretty neat idea. I haven't even tried them. I think that if somebody, for some reason, cannot keep their finger on a button, it is noice for them to be able to put a little finger chair on their button. Like a handicap access ramp. =D

I was specifically snapping at those who claim they like to shoot with a trigger-shaped button. That's like preffering to hump a girl-shaped pillow.

painey

Aske said:
Is this the February issue, or the March issue? And what's on the cover? Going to see if someone can pick this up for me and send it over...

And how do the Gioteck triggers feel to you?

Its the March issue, its in a plastic bag dripping in GTA with a big note saying triggers included. As for how they feel.. they are good. Obviously L2/R2 arent triggers like on the 360 controller so even with these snap ons there isnt alot of depressing available, but for games like Motorstorm where you pretty much keep your finger on R2 the whole time it is much better as your finger doesnt slip off or get tired.

$10 is a bit rich for tiny platic nubs. I need to find these bundled with a magazine.

Ranger X said:
So much for the triggers. Does player adaption exists anymore?
When it make sense, yes. I won't "adapt" to the PS3's terrible triggers anymore than I'll adapt to the 360's terrible d-pad.

Crayon

·feist· said:
$10 is a bit rich for tiny platic nubs. I need to find these bundled with a magazine.

That's probably alot of the reason for the inclusion of the "armor". Packaging and marketing, youknow?

Diablos

*sigh* The PS3 controller is so uncomfortable. The Dual Shock 2, as I remember, was long enough on the left and right (at the bottom) for a comfortable enough grip. The Sixaxis, and I would assume the DS3, are too short. It's so uncomfortable. I wish Sony would redesign it; it's clearly made for small hands. Logitech wireless PS2/3 controllers seem just right. Although the Xbox Type S and 360 controllers are the best.

MechDX

a.wd said:
Y'know some one could just figure a way to get the 360 controller working with the PS3...actually I would pay 10 quid to anyone who could do this as my living room is already a small rabbit warren of electrical devices and interfaces....

I would kill for someone to get a damn 360 controller working on the PS3. Or at least a 3rd party 360 controller working on the PS3 that has offset analogs!

Esperado

dejay said:
God I hate the self righteous fucking morons on the internet sometimes. People state that they like the design of a certain aspect of a controller and these dick heads come back with accusations of slipping hands, finger positions, lack of grip and bad hand job. Shut the fuck up. If you're not happy with your controller don't go and play it and don't click on threads about convex 360 triggers.

Anyway, I hate the R/L call-them-triggers - I get cramps and friction from playing driving demos and it's the one reason I haven't got a single car game for the 360.

Innotech

Banned
I seriously cant believe sony was this fucking stupid in the first place.

Take an ergonomically proven shape that has historically ALWAYS been concave and they make it....convex....:lol

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Are these triggers that replace the OEM pieces? or are these some kind of snap-on trigger caps that fit over the original triggers?

Len Dontree

Animator. Respect knuckles.
Innotech said:
I seriously cant believe sony was this fucking stupid in the first place.

Take an ergonomically proven shape that has historically ALWAYS been concave and they make it....convex....:lol

Ergonomics are last gen.

Innotech

Banned
Len Dontree said:
Ergonomics are last gen.
Its just stupid that people even defend this, as if convex triggers were ever a GOOD idea. If they had done it right the first time, I guarantee you EVERYONE would have been satisfied and no one would be pining for a convex trigger.

Crusade

Why didn't Sony fix the triggers already? They were obviously thrown on at the last minute, they should've improved them with the Dual Shock

Are there any third party controllers with better triggers?

Some guy at AVS got a letter from them. Some online retailers should be selling the triggers for $4.99 a pair soon.

Supposedly, it's also been confirmed that the triggers that come with the face armor are the exact same triggers:

Thanks for your email regarding the availability of our PS3 Triggers.

We hope to have our PS3 Triggers available in the US very shortly, at a recommended retail price of $4.99 Per Set. We are also working on a newsflash bulletin for all of our customers who wish to purchase our PS3 Triggers. The newsflash will contain up to date information on availability and links to retailer websites who are stocking our PS3 Triggers.

We will be placing the newsflash bulletin on to the Gioteck website shortly and will be posting the link to all of our customers who have expressed interest in obtaining the PS3 Triggers. Our website will also include the latest updates to our current PS3 range and our 2008 new product line-up.

At the moment there are no plans to sell our PS3 Real Triggers via the Gioteck website. However, we anticipate that many of the retailers who sell our products will also have our PS3 Real Triggers available to purchase through their own online stores.

Thank you for your patience and understanding and we hope to bring you more good news very shortly.

Kind regards

Kevin Turner

Gioteck Customer Support

Email: kevin@gbbgroup.com

Pimpwerx

Hmmm, $5 is still too high for plastic, but still better than nothing. But should I just wait for the chinese knockoffs? PEACE.

Pimpwerx said:
Hmmm, $5 is still too high for plastic, but still better than nothing. But should I just wait for the chinese knockoffs? PEACE.

If it ends up going like the PSP dpads and nubs, we'll see somebody in china selling a pack of eight or ten triggers, of varying shapes, for about $10.

iceatcs

Well I got it, but I wish they could sell some extra by special order. I need 3 more but not buy 3 more magazines :S

Evander

"industry expert"
Crayon said:
No I don't hate them at all. In fact, I think they are a pretty neat idea. I haven't even tried them. I think that if somebody, for some reason, cannot keep their finger on a button, it is noice for them to be able to put a little finger chair on their button. Like a handicap access ramp. =D

I was specifically snapping at those who claim they like to shoot with a trigger-shaped button. That's like preffering to hump a girl-shaped pillow.

So, it's okay to pretend to shoot s gun all day long, as long as you aren't using a fake trigger?

I don't think I've ever seen any logic MORE fucked up than that.

Evander said:
So, it's okay to pretend to shoot s gun all day long, as long as you aren't using a fake trigger?

That's what I keep wondering. :lol

Likewise, by his logic, it's OK to get hot and heavy with your pillow as long it isn't shaped like a female. :lol

When these analog shoulder 'triggers' debuted on the '3D' Saturn Controller, I sure as hell don't see any evidence that they was added for shooters, which wasn't a major console genre like it is now and was even more of a non-factor in Japan. I'd suspect that racing games were a much bigger consideration, and the reason they were made concave is that it just makes ergonomic sense. After the design of having concave 'analog shoulder inputs' was well proven on the Dreamcast, Gamecube, and Xbox, I can't see any reason that Sony would refuse to use such a design unless they are only doing it to 'be different'.

Amon37

The issue for me is my damn fingers slip off the L2 having it held down for long periods.

From playing all racing games on the PS2,PS3 and 360 I'm absolute crap if I can't have gas/brake on the right analog stick but if the buttons were more concave my finger wouldn't slip making it less of an annoyance.

Scotch

Damn it, how hard is it to mass produce some plastic buttons? I was really hoping to get these things before GTA4 comes out.

Top Bottom