• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canadian Gaming Deals & Discussion 9: Looking for a Switch in Deals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Which brand of credit card are you guys using? Visa or MC? Like I posted earlier in this thread, my MC got a $1 pending charge for each of my orders and they cleared half a day later. Is this WM fucking over Visa customers because of all the problems those two companies had?

I just checked my MC card, I have zero charges from Walmart. If there were any pending charges or holds, they're gone now. Maybe it really is just a Visa thing.

I posted this on RFD and it applies here too.
Re: Walmart charging twice. "I called CIBC before and they told me it was seen as a charge on their end since I used my debit card and to call Walmart. When I called WM they told me it was a temporary hold on the funds. When I asked why they charged my card again when it shipped they said the initial hold would be returned and the shipping charge would stick. I was pretty angry that they knowingly take the funds twice. I've literally never experienced that happening elsewhere."

TLDR: Basically Walmart places a preauthorization hold on funds (which still shows up as a charge) and then charges you again when it ships, eventually returning the preauth to you.

It's bullshit. For what it's worth, they charged me $56 twice for a game and it's been a week and I still haven't been refunded the double charge. I don't plan on ever ordering from them again because of the weird shit they do with my cards.

Thank you because now I know I'm not an isolated case. I will never preorder from Walmart again. This has been a really dumb experience and I didn't even want to order from them in the first place with their weird order cancellation policy. I was charged the $33 back on the 12th, then another $33 on the 17th for a game that doesn't even come out until the 30th. Never again. If it takes more than a week post-release to fully deal with this, I go to my credit card company and deal with them there.

Which brand of credit card are you guys using? Visa or MC? Like I posted earlier in this thread, my MC got a $1 pending charge for each of my orders and they cleared half a day later. Is this WM fucking over Visa customers because of all the problems those two companies had?
Visa.

And here I was thinking I was the only one affected by Walmart's billing shenanigans and figured I wouldn't post about it. They charged me $191.42 and haven't shipped out anything more than my Mr. Noodles free shipping equivalent. I don't have any actual games pending with them until ARK ships in August.

Same. For a $35 game coming July, in the past few days, I've had temp auths for the full amount, two for $1, and now again today for the full amount. FWIW they are temp, as the charges (two so far), have dropped off eventually.

when they do the random pre auth charge is it the total amount of the order or just one of the items?

also what will happen if i dont have enough cash in my account?

Did we ever get an answer to why new games on Amazon and BestBuy are being posted at $99.99? Some even got updated for a dollar less but never down to $79...

Really hope they are indeed placeholder.

Wasp14

when they do the random pre auth charge is it the total amount of the order or just one of the items?

also what will happen if i dont have enough cash in my account?

In my case it's always the full cost of the order. I have/use a Visa as well if that makes a difference. The reason I didn't preorder anything from them during this sale was because I feared they'd put temporary auths on my card for the full amount until the release of the games.

That'd be a nightmare for something like Mario which doesn't come out until October, so I'd be seeing charges and refunds every week for months. I don't know how they're allowed to meddle with cards like that.

Has anyone ever had their 'Expected Delivery Date' move up with Canada Post?

The Delivery Standard for my Amazon order from where it is now is a single day, but the Expected Delivery Date it's giving me is in three days.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Has anyone ever had their 'Expected Delivery Date' move up with Canada Post?

The Delivery Standard for my Amazon order is a single day, but the Expected Delivery Date it's giving me is in three days.
I preordered from Best Buy before which Canada post told me my expected delivery date was a Monday. But the game ended up coming the Friday before. So I guess that counts as the expected delivery date moving up ;)

Ordered four games from Walmart during E3, and the only charge I have (so far) is 33 cents for Mr. Noodles. I did have a pending $1 charge from them after my initial purchase, but it never posted to my account.

I'm using a BMO Mastercard.

In my case it's always the full cost of the order. I have/use a Visa as well if that makes a difference. The reason I didn't preorder anything from them during this sale was because I feared they'd put temporary auths on my card for the full amount until the release of the games.

That'd be a nightmare for something like Mario which doesn't come out until October, so I'd be seeing charges and refunds every week for months. I don't know how they're allowed to meddle with cards like that.

I've ignored them for the same reason.

killroy87

Ordered four games from Walmart during E3, and the only charge I have (so far) is 33 cents for Mr. Noodles. I did have a pending $1 charge from them after my initial purchase, but it never posted to my account.

I'm using a BMO Mastercard.

So? I don't understand what your asking.

You'll be charged for each game as they ship.

Had the same thing with my MBNA Mastercard.

$90 Switch/Mario Kart bundle update.

I received a shipping notice which shows both the game and console being shipped...

switch_zps539zod9c.jpg

Thought they must have charged my card for the full thing so went to my order history page and it still shows console and game for $90...

switch%202_zpsqsvjauaq.jpg

But there was a PDF in the shipping confirmation that shows only the game...

switch%203_zpsmwuqgchm.jpg

So really no clue what to expect.

This reminds me of the free PS4 I've got a few years back thanks to a glitch. I think you've got yourself a deal.

This reminds me of the free PS4 I've got a few years back thanks to a glitch. I think you've got yourself a deal.

I've seen this happen a lot with Switches, including myself. I had preordered my Switch from Amazon upon release - but decided to cancel because I wasn't sure about it. A few days after release, an unmarked box from Amazon shows up at my door - it's a Switch and a copy of BOTW.

Turns out that something had messed up at Amazon's warehouse, and for whatever reason, the order shipped to me despite being cancelled and never paid for. Amazon CS couldn't find an order number for the package, so they just let me keep it - I assume because it would be too much of a pain to go through all of the logistics of how to manage it without an order number. That may have been the best day of my life.

I've seen this happen a lot with Switches, including myself. I had preordered my Switch from Amazon upon release - but decided to cancel because I wasn't sure about it. A few days after release, an unmarked box from Amazon shows up at my door - it's a Switch and a copy of BOTW.

Turns out that something had messed up at Amazon's warehouse, and for whatever reason, the order shipped to me despite being cancelled and never paid for. Amazon CS couldn't find an order number for the package, so they just let me keep it - I assume because it would be too much of a pain to go through all of the logistics of how to manage it without an order number. That may have been the best day of my life.

Dang, greatest glitch.

Nah. It could be just the game

Ah I didn't pay attention to the last pic, it only shows the game. So yeah, think you're right.

Chiming in here to say I'm seeing the Walmart shenanigans on my CIBC Visa. They seem to be placing pending authorizations for the full price of both titles I pre-ordered. (can't see them on CIBC but my available credit number is suspiciously lower than it should be at the moment from my calculations by the amount of both games...)

Really hoping they send out my Switch today. It arrived at the local facility at 6:21AM, but the estimated delivery date is still the 21st for some reason...

The status is now...
The item has arrived at the destination facility for final sorting before delivery. Look for an "Out for Delivery" scan today or tomorrow to know when delivery will occur.

... though, so I have my fingers crossed.

RNG

Checked my credit card charge online and I didn't even get charged for my Mr.Noodles lol. I'm using Visa as well, no pre-auth for me

Kyolux

So looking at the tracking for MK8 bundle glitch, it says about 1kg for the weight. I wonder if that's just the smallest number they put up as the switch itself is 297 grams without the box according to wikipedia.

Still don't see this being more than the game, but would just a switch game be written down as 1kg? I guess so, given I doubt they even had switch in stock by the time I ordered.

jokkir

Did any of you guys get glasses from Clearly Contacts? How long do they take to ship to Toronto because I thought it'd be last week but still hast come yet. And yes, I'm very impatient.

Wasp14

Chiming in here to say I'm seeing the Walmart shenanigans on my CIBC Visa. They seem to be placing pending authorizations for the full price of both titles I pre-ordered. (can't see them on CIBC but my available credit number is suspiciously lower than it should be at the moment from my calculations by the amount of both games...)

I’m curious how far out the games you preordered are(?) Walmart is literally the only company I’ve ever had do this. Amazon and Best Buy don’t do anything to your card until the item ships, and even then it’s the one charge (as it should be) and not multiple.

Eternia

Did any of you guys get glasses from Clearly Contacts? How long do they take to ship to Toronto because I thought it'd be last week but still hast come yet. And yes, I'm very impatient.
Looking at my order from last year, it took nearly a week to arrive but I did order right before a weekend.

Eternia

Did you get a shipping notice as well or did the store call you before the shipping notice appeared?
Bought mine online though, didn't go through their downtown store. I did get a shipping notice (and delivery confirmation email as well) when they shipped and such.

Finally! Best buy had 1 available copy of Diablo III on clearance for $9.97 and I picked it up! I had to take a random game to get free shipping, but it's a good thing that i'm near one of their stores.

edit: and Best Buy still haven't shipped my Switch (aka: Mario Kart 8 only) yet. They sure are taking their sweet time with this.

Question for y'all, how long realistically would it take to complete FFXV just doing the main story and the occassional actual useful/fun side quest? Not interested in fishing or photos or grinding for XP or anything like that. I hope those aren't essential.

On sale at $35 this week, wondering if it's worth it.

killroy87

Question for y'all, how long realistically would it take to complete FFXV just doing the main story and the occassional actual useful/fun side quest? Not interested in fishing or photos or grinding for XP or anything like that. I hope those aren't essential.

On sale at $35 this week, wondering if it's worth it.

Game can be mainlined in around 20 hours. I'd assume a casual playthrough is like 30-35.

Kyolux

edit: and Best Buy still haven't shipped my Switch (aka: Mario Kart 8 only) yet. They sure are taking their sweet time with this.

Yeah, I just realized the label was created but it never was picked up.

They probably are going to just plain out refund us and cancel the orders.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom