• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

War Thunder |OT| Tanks, Planes And Automobiles

Ark

This is silly, but does anyone else think the title of the OT should be, "Planes, Tanks and Automobiles" instead? Or is it not supposed to be a play on the movie title?

I agree tbh. Planes are where this game shines.

It also really bugs me the OP has so little info in it. I love this game but it can be difficult to get past the interface for newcomers. EDIT: Crap, new page.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
This is silly, but does anyone else think the title of the OT should be, "Planes, Tanks and Automobiles" instead? Or is it not supposed to be a play on the movie title?
It is (not silly), but,
"Planes, Tanks and Automobiles" never sounded phonetically right no matter how many times I said it out loud or read it. Perhaps the better word is similar. Both of the first two words of Trains, Planes, and Automobiles end with the -ains sound and I couldn't make that be reflected with "Tanks". Tanks fits in especially weird when it's the second word and my way carries much more of the phonetic pattern of the TPaA when it's first and Planes leads into the rest of the phrase. It kept bugging me the entire way because (I'm making a thread about this one day soon) the way I comprehend written words is a tad different than the majority of other people. I have to speak everything out with my inside-my-head voice. So it was very much a choice between a verbal play on words and a grammatical/written play on words.
These are the reasons I can't do parody posts. I should be an ADR Director.

Also, and perhaps much more importantly, I was still in the process of making the thread when I accidentally posted it and by then, it was too late to give it any further thought. I thought that as long as the "Planes" and "And Automobiles" was in there, the joke would come across fine.

coolasj19

I agree tbh. Planes are where this game shines.

It also really bugs me the OP has so little info in it. I love this game but it can be difficult to get past the interface for newcomers. EDIT: Crap, new page.
I plan on taking a screen cap tomorrow and annotating most (if not all) of the out-of-game UI elements, what they do, and what menus drop out from those menu options. Actually, I might go a tad overboard and separate the picture out into separate pictures and post them on series so that it's one big clickable image... I'm totally getting ahead of myself but I'm going to at least try it. It won't look pretty on mobile though so that might not work.

Again, if you have some tangible suggestions, or really good, easily readable resources, post them here so I can edit them in.

Wace

yet the 37mm on the Yak-9 can set tanks on fire with ease

...It's good to know since I have fully upgraded Yak-9K somewhere in my stock. 45mm should be even better.

As for other planes: well, it sucks, but considering the fact that GF is in the open for less than a month... And closed GF beta-test was since New Year or something, right? I mean there's still a lot to do there, but Gaijin does their stuff, even if at slow pace.

I'm seriously considering petioning EA to hire Gaijin for X-Wing/Tie Fighter reboot. In my humble opinion with no landscape to bother they would do awesome work.

BigDug13

The movie is called "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles". So why is this thread named "Tanks, Planes, and Automobiles" instead of "Planes, Tanks, and Automobiles?"

/nitpick

coolasj19

The movie is called "Planes, Trains, and Automobiles". So why is this thread named "Tanks, Planes, and Automobiles" instead of "Planes, Tanks, and Automobiles?"
/nitpick
Boop, doop, post #102.
Tl;Dr : "Planes, Tanks and Automobiles" sounds dumb =)

demolitio

...It's good to know since I have fully upgraded Yak-9K somewhere in my stock. 45mm should be even better.

As for other planes: well, it sucks, but considering the fact that GF is in the open for less than a month... And closed GF beta-test was since New Year or something, right? I mean there's still a lot to do there, but Gaijin does their stuff, even if at slow pace.

I'm seriously considering petioning EA to hire Gaijin for X-Wing/Tie Fighter reboot. In my humble opinion with no landscape to bother they would do awesome work.

Yea, since early December but most of the problems today are things that were brought up in the beta. They just never really communicated with the testers on the English forum despite them reassuring people they were going to improve. Oh, and I don't know if the 9K is any better but it doesn't have any ammunition to choose from so it really depends on the default rounds with that one. I think the 9T does more damage simply due to how many shots it can put on target in a few seconds with that incredibly fast fire-rate.

I just hope it's fixed soon since Germany could really use the help in certain tiers.

As far as the Star Wars thing, have you played their space F2P game Star Conflict? It was really good basically making a cover shooter in space using the asteroids and debris as cover. You had all sorts of ships and it looked really good since it's on the same engine as War Thunder. If they did that, it would be absolutely amazing.

Wace

As far as the Star Wars thing, have you played their space F2P game Star Conflict? It was really good basically making a cover shooter in space using the asteroids and debris as cover. You had all sorts of ships and it looked really good since it's on the same engine as War Thunder. If they did that, it would be absolutely amazing.

Star Conflict is developed by different company (Gaijin is publisher) and uses different engine. Haven't played much, but I was checking them out once.

It just that WT reminds of X-Wing so much: crazy dogfights, good damage system, need for tactics and power management. And we haven't seen proper SW space sim for how many years now?

demolitio

Star Conflict is developed by different company (Gaijin is publisher) and uses different engine. Haven't played much, but I was checking them out once.

It just that WT reminds of X-Wing so much: crazy dogfights, good damage system, need for tactics and power management. And we haven't seen proper SW space sim for how many years now?

Damn, friend told me it was the same engine and I believed him due to the lighting and seeing Gaijin's name. I guess that wouldn't make sense given the time-frames but a lot of things are similar between the two.

Star Conflict had some great dogfights but relied too heavy on the lock-on missiles, but the idea of having every axis to move across and using asteroids as cover was clever. I agree that Gaijin would nail it, especially when it comes to the damage models. Of course they'd probably have three different modes in that one just to have most people fly the simplified mode where they miss out on the actual damage models. :D

Grinchy

Banned
It is (not silly), but,
"Planes, Tanks and Automobiles" never sounded phonetically right no matter how many times I said it out loud or read it. Perhaps the better word is similar. Both of the first two words of Trains, Planes, and Automobiles end with the -ains sound and I couldn't make that be reflected with "Tanks". Tanks fits in especially weird when it's the second word and my way carries much more of the phonetic pattern of the TPaA when it's first and Planes leads into the rest of the phrase. It kept bugging me the entire way because (I'm making a thread about this one day soon) the way I comprehend written words is a tad different than the majority of other people. I have to speak everything out with my inside-my-head voice. So it was very much a choice between a verbal play on words and a grammatical/written play on words.
These are the reasons I can't do parody posts. I should be an ADR Director.

Also, and perhaps much more importantly, I was still in the process of making the thread when I accidentally posted it and by then, it was too late to give it any further thought. I thought that as long as the "Planes" and "And Automobiles" was in there, the joke would come across fine.
hahaha I love how much thought went into this

elty

I am wondering if someone can provide some short info on each plane type for every country at the early tiers... their strength and weakness etc so I can focus what to research.

Also wondering if there is some info on what does each upgrade do to a plane...

Also how does aiming work.... I know there is a leading box in front of the enemy plane that you should aim, but I swear many times nothing hit despite me spraying bullets.

elty

Just look at their store and the price is pretty horrendous:

The Ultra Advanced Pack includes:
Five airplanes: Fw.190D-13, Typhoon Mk.IB, XP-38G, A6M5 Ko and Pe-2-205.
Two single player campaigns:
USA Pacific Campaign (1941-1943)
Japanese Pacific Campaign (1941-1943)
Premium account for two months.
10000 Golden Eagles.

For $80, I would expect it to come with every single planes in the game plus a real plane model of my choice.

Wace

I am wondering if someone can provide some short info on each plane type for every country at the early tiers... their strength and weakness etc so I can focus what to research.

Also wondering if there is some info on what does each upgrade do to a plane...

Also how does aiming work.... I know there is a leading box in front of the enemy plane that you should aim, but I swear many times nothing hit despite me spraying bullets.

The official forum - http://forum.warthunder.com/ - is hard place to get, although it has all the info you need and more. For easier reading try wiki: http://wiki.warthunder.com/

Very short version: each plane is fun for somebody, everything depends on your style and skill. Easiest start is USSR (arguably). Each upgrade provides detailed information on itself in the popup-box. Generally they improve control and increase power.

As for aiming: leading box works perfectly for the bots, not so good versus real people. Best advice: look on your shots trace and try to correct it on the fly. I personally shoot a bit ahead of box movement - usually it helps.

elty

By the way, is there any way to have a bigger indicator on ground unit (like you have the gigantic player name next to a plane 8KM away)? I found it hard to locate any ground unit.

joecanada

Boop, doop, post #102.

Planes Tanks and Automobiles sounds way better as it is closest to the movie title and that is the main point of the joke.

also it should just be called "those aren't pillows!!!!"

lol.

Anyway I hope there are more missions coming soon played a few games last night seemed like same mission over and over.

Why are there so many posts about the thread title? lol

I don't get why repair isn't happening. I'm using planes that need repair and turned off auto-repair, but I don't need to repair. Not that it's a bad thing...

Why are there so many posts about the thread title? lol

I don't get why repair isn't happening. I'm using planes that need repair and turned off auto-repair, but I don't need to repair. Not that it's a bad thing...
Planes usually get a bunch of free repairs when you buy them, so it must be that (check plane stats popup).

If I remember right each plane has a Test Flight option in its drop-out menu.
Thanks for this. Spend a solid hour last night just getting the hang of controlling the starter pea shooter. Set the controls to simulation too for direct control. Was fun just to take off, swoop around and land in the grass a few times.

I could get used to this.

HariKari

For $80, I would expect it to come with every single planes in the game plus a real plane model of my choice.

10,000 golden eagles is a lot and those planes are all great. If you just want to buy one thing and be set for life with this game then buy that. That's the whole point, and why it cost $80.

They recently raised the price on the Dora pack to $30 for just the plane and some eagles.

HariKari

My favorite performers at tier 3 and below, in order of relative strength:

Americans - F6F Hellcat, F4Fs Wildcats, P47s Thunderbolts, P39s Cobras, F4Us Corsairs, A20G Havoc (really good attacker), P63 King Cobras. Got a problem? Add more 50 cals until it's solved. American tree is consistently good with few turds.

Germany - you will be going down the He, Fw, and Do lines. Skip the far left (Italian) line except for the CR 42 Falco. You will be racing down the 109 and Fw 190 trees, getting more speed and firepower as you go.

Russia - Literally everything is good. Bombers are below average, IMO. Get to the derp gun Yaks asap (Yak-9T, 9k). Planes of every flavor here. Don't be fooled by the small number of guns and ammo count. Russian cannons are the best and are easy to hit with.

Britain - I hope you like Spitfires. Hurricanes are good at their tier. Beaufighter line is very powerful. Average bombers. Early on, small caliber guns means lots of time on target needed for kills. Great dogfighters.

Japan - the Ki-43 will be your first murder machine. From there, you will acquire progressively better Zeros. The Ki-45s are good twin engine fighters for fleshing out a lineup. Japanese bombers are nimble but fragile and the payload isn't the best. Not for the faint of heart, Japan requires a lot of patience but the reward is the best handling planes in the game. For people who prefer a scalpel to a sledgehammer. In the hands of a skilled pilot a Zero will be your worst nightmare.

Just look at their store and the price is pretty horrendous:

The Ultra Advanced Pack includes:
Five airplanes: Fw.190D-13, Typhoon Mk.IB, XP-38G, A6M5 Ko and Pe-2-205.
Two single player campaigns:
USA Pacific Campaign (1941-1943)
Japanese Pacific Campaign (1941-1943)
Premium account for two months.
10000 Golden Eagles.

I feel that the "War Thunder - Ace Advanced Pack" on steam is the best value. You get 10,000 Eagles (which is a lot if you wait for sales and don't chase after the hyper-expensive premiums), two solid Premium Planes, and two months of 'Premium'.

That said, I'd wait for a the Steam Summer sale.

This game sends me to a website to create an account when I start it. That's not going to fly on a console. Every other f2p game just uses my psn account.

Grinchy

Banned
This game sends me to a website to create an account when I start it. That's not going to fly on a console. Every other f2p game just uses my psn account.

Setting it up was definitely annoying but it's not that bad. There were 70,000 people online earlier, though. I don't know how many of them are on PS4 but obviously not everyone avoids a f2p game because of that.

I'm thinking it's like that in order to make cross platform play work. FF14 needs you to have a S-E account to play.

It's just a quick account set up, but the benefits outweigh a few minute of inconvenience.

Afrikan

ok any updates on the approach us American folks who have been playing the EU version with our American accounts? Do we log in with our American accounts and download the update? or use our EU accounts to log in and download the EU update?....then switch back to our American accounts to continue our progress.

Damnit I'm still getting this stupid "lack of an internet connection" error when I try to load in PS4.

Is anybody else here having this issue? Had the same issue last night suddenly after playing a match.

EDIT: Finally, it only took 10 tries to login. If anybody else has this issue, just keep trying over and over again, eventually it should go through(hopefully).

Is there some kind of trick to completing the Takeoff/Landing tutorial?

Takeoff is no sweat but I keep failing the landing somehow, I'm following the directions to a T and landing perfectly on the runway and stopping.

EDIT: Nevermind, restarted the mission and got it on the first try.

Bigfroth

Damnit I'm still getting this stupid "lack of an internet connection" error when I try to load in PS4.

Is anybody else here having this issue? Had the same issue last night suddenly after playing a match.

EDIT: Finally, it only took 10 tries to login. If anybody else has this issue, just keep trying over and over again, eventually it should go through(hopefully).

Having same issue,is this error local or server side?

Oneself

I am quite pleasantly surprised by this game. It's been a long time since I've enjoyed a flight game... Probably around the lauch of the PS2!

TheMan

trying to customize the controls is seriously a pain in the ass. at this point i may just say fuck it and go with the default mouse control (actually i did try this but somehow throttle and pitch ended up mapped to the same stick.)

Jachaos

Had this No Internet Connection error earlier (even though I do have connection and am connected to PSN), played some PixelJunk shooter, came back and it worked. Now it's doing it again. Did it last night at 1am too. Weird. Every other game works online when it says that, so it's not system-wide, it's specific to this game.

Had this No Internet Connection error earlier (even though I do have connection and am connected to PSN), played some PixelJunk shooter, came back and it worked. Now it's doing it again. Did it last night at 1am too. Weird. Every other game works online when it says that, so it's not system-wide, it's specific to this game.

I'm getting that right now... ugh.

elty

I got "Login for PSN players temporarily disabled" when trying to login PC version. Does that ever work?

coolasj19

Terrible controls.
Deleted.
Sounds like you didn't give it much of a chance. Did you play the tutorial?
trying to customize the controls is seriously a pain in the ass. at this point i may just say fuck it and go with the default mouse control (actually i did try this but somehow throttle and pitch ended up mapped to the same stick.)
Just go with default. It's very sufficient.

elty

I was in a map where you have two opposing column going through some narrow valley road, and also some patrol boats at the sea. Someone killed all but 4 patrol boats but then no one touched them for 10 minutes.

Meanwhile, the huge lead my side built is slowly declining, all the ground targets are eliminated but still no one touch the boat. I decided to fly there with my Russian biplane. Met with intense AA fire, killed one boat, turned back and got shot down, my plane crashed into and killed a second boat. Few minutes later my side lost since no one bother the remaining 2 boats.

I am planning to go slow and stay mostly in tier 1/2 (instead of rushing to higher tier). Should I bother with bomber? Which country has better tier 1/2 bomber? Also some hint for bombing/ground attack would be great. Thanks

Boop, doop, post #102.

I think it sounds better.

Doesn't really matter though.

I tried playing last night on PS4 at around 7pm EST but kept getting a login error and then it was telling me I needed an internet connection to play, were the servers down or was I just having an issue on my end?

Hopefully things are running smooth this weekend, i'd really like to sink some time into this game.

elty

I think it sounds better.

Doesn't really matter though.

I tried playing last night on PS4 at around 7pm EST but kept getting a login error and then it was telling me I needed an internet connection to play, were the servers down or was I just having an issue on my end?

Hopefully things are running smooth this weekend, i'd really like to sink some time into this game.

I got the same thing at 9PM EST. It finally connected at 10:30ish.

darkwing

has anyone else encountered the airplane cockpit view bug on the PS4? basically it keeps looking at the right/side, not directly ahead, this is on Simulator battles

BigDug13

So it takes me to a webpage to create a new account. How do I login with an existing account? I don't have another email address to create a new account. My War Thunder existing account email and my PSN email are the same.

Do I have to sign up for a new email account just to be able to play this game?

lol I don't get why I keep losing with China. Matchmaking is random with countries, right?

When I play China, I kill 12-15 ground vehicles, and the team loses by 15 vehicles. Maybe I just get bad luck and get matched up with noobs when I play China.

Edit: Finally won. I killed like 25 ground vehicles myself.

joecanada

Best f2p on the system right now. Did they add tanks yet?

as of now I would say warframe is considerably better, but I just started this game so give it time... but my first criticism is where are the fun missions? are there any recon, spy, dogfighting, bombing, etc?
and settings? city, sea, country, mountain, etc?

like i said i just started but I recall games like even blazing angels or whatever it was called looked and played easily this well, and that was last gen.

Also battlefield has much better flying which is pretty bad for a full flying game, however, this is not a battlefield endorsement, as they have their own damn problems.

Looking forward to getting more into this .... see what's up.

elty

Is there something I can do to see target indicator for ground unit? I saw a few youtube video and it has something like "AAA 10KM" indicator, but nothing in PS4 version. Meanwhile a plane 10KM away has an indicator.

Top Bottom