• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Gods |OT| You Had Me At Bryan Fuller - Sundays on Starz

Imo, they way things work in American Gods, there is an Odin in Europe that is a different individual from the Odin that lives in America, so there must be several forms of the Abrahamic God, several forms of Jesus, just like there all those different version of the Virgin Mary all over Latin America, and just like God is three beings at once in the Bible. Undoubtedly the American versions of each Jesus, Yahweh, and Allah are the most powerful traditional Gods in America, but they aren't necessarily global entities and maybe the new Gods are. However, maybe America's Jesus biggest Rival is another Jesus.

edit

On a different note. (halfway thru book spoiler)
I can't remember if Bastet was in this or if I'm remembering her from somewhere else. Just thinking that the internet love of cats have to be taken into account if she shows up, she more or less won the lottery on that one.

Shy

Imo, they way things work in American Gods, there is an Odin in Europe that is a different individual from the Odin that lives in America, so there must be several forms of the Abrahamic God, several forms of Jesus, just like there all those different version of the Virgin Mary all over Latin America, and just like God is three beings at once in the Bible. Undoubtedly the American versions of each Jesus, Yahweh, and Allah are the most powerful traditional Gods in America, but they aren't necessarily global entities and maybe the new Gods are. However, maybe America's Jesus biggest Rival is another Jesus.
You're correct. Wednesday explained it in a funny scene in episode 3.

You should go back and give it watch.
It's was when they were in the photocopying shop.
On a different note. (halfway thru book spoiler)
I can't remember if Bastet was in this or if I'm remembering her from somewhere else. Just thinking that the internet love of cats have to be taken into account if she shows up, she more or less won the lottery on that one.
You're remembering correctly, she's from this.

royalan

Can someone answer a question for me about the animatronic facehugger thing?

What's the whole point of it? The first episode we saw it I figured it was some sort of conduit Technical Boy needed to actually manifest himself to a human (which would make sense). But apparently he doesn't need she he seems to go out clubbing with humans, and Media used to it reach out to him for seemingly no reason since they're all together confront Mr. Wednesday and Shadow moon a few scenes later?

Does this thing have a point, or is it just another useless story device in this show?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Can someone answer a question for me about the animatronic facehugger thing?

What's the whole point of it? The first episode we saw it I figured it was some sort of conduit Technical Boy needed to actually manifest himself to a human (which would make sense). But apparently he doesn't need she he seems to go out clubbing with humans, and Media used to it reach out to him for seemingly no reason since they're all together confront Mr. Wednesday and Shadow moon a few scenes later?

Does this thing have a point, or is it just another useless story device in this show?

I'm not sure but I think he's just showing off. Her using his own "gimmick" on him is pulling rank basically.

Wednesday being the
god of war
[don't even know if this is a spoiler anymore], you could say that he is much more of a villain than the new gods, who only demand time from people.

I can't see how there can be a more powerful god than technology today. I read the book but can't remember what Mr.World is exactly.

(oh, and I didn't really like the animation)

royalan

I'm not sure but I think he's just showing off. Her using his own "gimmick" on him is pulling rank basically.

Ahhh, so it's just useless tech to make Technical Boy feel badass. Lol, that's actually pretty fitting. It's basically a smart watch.

mokeyjoe

I sized up her character to be a sociopathic adrenaline junkie.

Also, count me in among those who believe that Mr. World = globalization.

I would say it's more 'The Market'. Capitalism, neoliberalism, globalization - which I suppose all fall under that, so maybe it's a semantic distinction, but I feel there's something more of money and economics in his approach. It makes sense for media and tech to fall under his purview.

they really confused people with who Mr World was considering they had him spout information the internet/computer would in theory have from you. particularly from the "this is the face you make when you orgasm" which could have been a joke about your laptop camera filming everything.

Da-Kid

Isn't Mr. World corporate America? Its really weird there's multiple versions of Jesus... that's just... weird. And Allah is just another name the God goes by. Well... his actual name is Jehovah.

WillyFive

Isn't Mr. World corporate America? Its really weird there's multiple versions of Jesus... that's just... weird. And Allah is just another name the God goes by. Well... his actual name is Jehovah.

His actual name would most likely be closer to Yahweh than Jahovah, since Jahovah is a made up name created by mixing Adonai ('Lord') and the Latin letters of the Tetragrammaton. Anyway, in the show's universe, it makes perfect sense as to why there are so many Jesuses, since people believe in so many different versions of him, so therefore multiple versions of him are created. There's bound to even be multiple versions of the Abrahamic God too.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
So, it wasn't until this episode that I realized Wednesday is supposed to be Odin or I at least assume. I've been wondering what was up with Ian McShane's right eye, so I googled a picture of his eye and noticed it was normal, which made me realized that that's not an Ian McShane thing but a Wednesday thing, which then made me remember that Odin has a thing with crows, just like Wednesday, then the Viking intro in episode one and using a day as his name.

I'm sure a bunch of you guys figured it out early on but I'm not familiar with Odin's story, so I knew about the eye and crow thing from Odin allegories in other pieces of media.

The thing that surprised me with American gods is the depiction of Odin as a smooth talker con man. So many version of him have him as a straight forward warrior King, with the trickster aspect entirely left to Loki.

To be clear though I don't follow Norse mythology, I'm just going by entirely with what popular media has shown me of him. God of War will teach me more.

Einchy

The thing that surprised me with American gods is the depiction of Odin as a smooth talker con man. So many version of him have him as a straight forward warrior King, with the trickster aspect entirely left to Loki.

To be clear though I don't follow Norse mythology, I'm just going by entirely with what popular media has shown me of him. God of War will teach me more.

Yeah, I don't know anything about the real Odin, so there were probably more hints that went right over my head. I only know about the eye thing since Marvel's Odin always has an eyepatch and I only know about the crow thing cus in World of Warcraft their Odin likes to turn into crows.

Shy

You have to remember this is the American manifestation of Odin. So he's going to reflect that.

Yeah I swear I've seen some depiction of Odin in some modern format with crows. Then there is the whole urban myth of crows pecking your eyes out which makes it even funnier.

Einchy

You have to remember this is the American manifestation of Odin. So he's going to reflect that.

Oh fuck, was the intro in episode 1 the birth of Wednesday?!

I'm guessing an Odin already existed back in their homeland and when they prayed to Odin in America on that beach, it caused Wednesday to manifest IN America.
aS1PBql.gif

danm999

I'm guessing an Odin already existed back in their homeland and when they prayed to Odin in America on that beach, it caused Wednesday to manifest IN America.
aS1PBql.gif

Would also explain his comments about fearing being forgotten. He was left for a century without worshippers until Leif Erickson and his followers arrived.

I'm sure a bunch of you guys figured it out early on but I'm not familiar with Odin's story, so I knew about the eye and crow thing from Odin allegories in other pieces of media.

Yeah I swear I've seen some depiction of Odin in some modern format with crows. Then there is the whole urban myth of crows pecking your eyes out which makes it even funnier.

Odin has two ravens, not crows. Ravens were considered noble birds in ancient times. Crows were always considered assholes.

aS1PBql.gif

Yes.

So, it wasn't until this episode that I realized Wednesday is supposed to be Odin or I at least assume. I've been wondering what was up with Ian McShane's right eye, so I googled a picture of his eye and noticed it was normal, which made me realized that that's not an Ian McShane thing but a Wednesday thing, which then made me remember that Odin has a thing with crows, just like Wednesday, then the Viking intro in episode one and using a day as his name.

They were teasing it from his first big scenes. "Today's my day" The word Wednesday comes from Norse. Woten/Woden's day. Woten/Woden being old english versions of Odin

But yeah, that's not something you'll pick up on unless you've familiar with Norse mythology. The eye and ravens were much more obvious clues

Chuckie

Wednesday being the
god of war
[don't even know if this is a spoiler anymore], you could say that he is much more of a villain than the new gods, who only demand time from people.

I wouldn't really call him the god of war as he shares that 'title' with Tyr/Twis aka Mr Tuesday ;). He is more known for being the All Father.

Shy

Odin has always had two ravens on each should called, Thought and memory, who sit on each of his shoulder and inform him about the world.

They even make an appearance in the first Avengers, when Loki and Thor are in the woods talking.

aS1PBql.gif
8AqagHc.gif

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This is one of those shows that will definitely make more sense on a rewatch if you're confused at the moment. I know it seems like just random shit happening, but pretty much every scene has had a purpose. Either it's part of Shadow & Wednesday's road trip or it fleshes out how Gods in this world work.

This show makes me wish Myth was taught in high school so fewer people would be confused...

Or we just need more children's stories based on them. Thus far I can only think of:

51H4LYE9fVL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Chuckie

Odin has always had two ravens on each should called, Thought and memory, who sit on each of his shoulder and inform him about the world.

They even make an appearance in the first Avengers, when Loki and Thor are in the woods talking.

And GAF's favorite movie Thor: The Dark World

asgard-throne.jpg

Huginn on the left, Muninn on the right. (Or vice versa :p)

I wouldn't really call him the god of war as he shares that 'title' with Tyr/Twis aka Mr Tuesday ;). He is more known for being the All Father.

Odin is closer to the traditional role of god of war. Tyr is closer to god of justice, glory, and law. In battle the ancient Norsemen would have called out for Odin to give them victory, and few would have called out for Tyr, like how the ancient Greeks would call out for Ares and/or Athena.

In reality, half of the pantheon are "war gods." Odin, Loki, Thor... The war gods were the Aesir, of Asgard, while the fertility gods were the Vanir, of Vanaheim. The two groups intermingled and several of the Vanir went to live in Asgard. Eventually the qualities of the two groups intermixed and all of them took on aspects of being war gods and fertility gods, and the gods of Asgard essentially performed the roles of both groups. That's why almost none of the old sagas involve Vanaheim, and it's mentioned little. It was probably a holdover from an earlier incarnation of the mythology.

That was a damn impressive intro, but which God was it referring to? One that's 'dead' or one we'll be introduced to?

Felt weird in that all the other intros have introduced Gods that are still around.

Shy

That was a damn impressive intro, but which God was it referring to? One that's 'dead' or one we'll be introduced to?

Felt weird in that all the other intros have introduced Gods that are still around.
A long since forgotten one. The narration said at the end of sequence.

Of the main reasons the sequence the way it was adapted for the show (it was in the book, but was longer) was clarify how gods are born.
I think it was just explaining that gods die when they lose followers.

The point was to show that these gods aren't immortal. Without worship the wither and die like the mammoth head effigy in the intro.

Odin's afraid that Nynyunnini's fate will befall him.
Also what they said. LOL.

Siegcram

The point was to show that these gods aren't immortal. Without worship the wither and die like the mammoth head effigy in the intro.

Odin's afraid that Nynyunnini's fate will befall him.

It isn't strange. If new gods like Media or Technology has appeared, it means in this setting gods appear depending of the beliefs of humankind.

And Christianity has a good amount of variance between America, Europe, Africa... lots of different cultures adore him in different ways, so that made up slightly different versions of Jesus.

Allah is in theory same as the Christian god, but in practice he is adored in a different way, that would create separate entities.

Kinyou

Yeah, I don't know anything about the real Odin, so there were probably more hints that went right over my head. I only know about the eye thing since Marvel's Odin always has an eyepatch and I only know about the crow thing cus in World of Warcraft their Odin likes to turn into crows.
I remember that pretty early on someone called him Wotan which is the germanic name for Odin.

Yeah, I was thinking this as well. MAJOR ENDING SPOILERS
I'm even wondering if at this point in the show Loki even is Mr. World already, considering he pulls off that face-changing stuff, which seems a little excessive for an impersonator like Loki to be able to pull off.

Isn't Loki a shapeshifter in the legends? He was even a horse one time. The changing face stuff is actually kind of a give away of his identity.

And I was glad that the show took the time to tell the audience what seems to be happening. At this time on the book we already figure that out, but it was necessary for the show to asure the audience the initial premisse and prepare the field for what is coming next.

Kind of book spoiler
The show presented on its very first scene what appraise the gods. What is better to the gods that a bunch of men killing themselves shouting out their names (by Odin!)? There is something better.

Azazzel

Isn't New World by default the most powerful god out there? I mean, a netlifx god probably would be pretty goddamn powerful already in this day and age but one who is internet itself? That just seems way too much.

Veelk

Banned
Does anyone know what music they played when Media talked to Technoboy as Ziggy Stardust? Or was that just an official soundtrack from the show?

OrionX

So I recently binged on all the episodes so far and I'm liking the show. It's definitely got it's own unique style, as expected of a Bryan Fuller show.

Stuff:

- I guess if zombie wife loses her lucky coin she'll be sent back "to the darkness"? And if she's just a reanimated corpse why does she have superhuman strength... more coin magic?
- It seems like the Gods show age, but obviously don't have human lifespans. I assume their appearance and strength is reflective of the amount of believers they have?
- That lady that keeps eating people with her vagina frightens me.

When I read the book, I didn't know a ton about Odin, but I did know that Wednesday is derived from (w)odin's Day, so it wasn't hard to figure.

Top Bottom