• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Santa Monica's canceled new IP has major concept art leak, 35+ images

DrD

My thoughts exactly, doesnt seem to have any type of theme. Some of the enemy/Boss looking concepts seem pretty cool, but the actual characters look really meh.

Based on the pics, I wouldnt be too interested in it, but still curious what type of game it was and how the gameplay worked.
Shinobi gave some details on the game back in 2015.
Darkside was definitely an interesting concept. RPG mechanics, customization, vehicles, post apocalyptic open world...things just didn't come together, milestone reviews failed. Trying to get that action-melee combat working with guns wasn't easy.
It looks like they were trying to do way too much, it sounds like it had pretty much everything you can add to a game.

I dunno man but i'm glad it's cancelled. It doesn't look interesting in any way other than "that's good artwork".

Remember Horizon's concept art? That looked like something I wanna play.

This one is amazin
ESJ_Cancelled_001_15-548x548.jpg

I cant believe this has been cancelled. So much potential...

Damn that is sick!

Big ass leviathan looking creature or something.

Looks to me me like a generic scifi game to me. It's pretty hard to make a game that follows its concept art and translate it to game play.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Holy shit, getting major Destiny vibes from all that art.

That was rumored to be a big reason why it was cancelled. Supposedly given sonys ties with destiny this was going to launch alongside destiny and it was going to essentially be drowned out. So they tried to repurpose the game and change it up a bit, but could never really get on track.

Look it's been said time and time again about this game... they were not hitting their deadlines at all. The game according to insiders was a messss, so people saying "aww damn cmon it looks awesome", this is CONCEPT ART. How can you know if the game was going to be good? Besides I'm with the minority in here, this looks generic and unfocused to me.

Archtreyz

What is Sony Santa Monica working on now? The concept art looks great, but of course there has to be a reason they'd just kill this project. Anyways, it looks like it could have been cool.

What is Sony Santa Monica working on now? The concept art looks great, but of course there has to be a reason they'd just kill this project. Anyways, it looks like it could have been cool.

I am going to assume you have no idea about the God of War game that debut at the E3 2016 Sony presser with gameplay demo, set in Norse Mythology?

Prototype

Art looks uninspired. Very samey destiny/dragon age/big budget style that's growing pretty thin.
Probably good it got cancelled.

Dinosaurs, sea monsters, merpeople, aliens, sci-fi elements... come on guys, it's not hard to picture why this was cancelled. It's like it took a page out of every Hollywood fantasy/scifi epic and put it together. It's like a bunch of elements a bunch of coked up concept writers scream out they think their world should have without any cohesion.

That's not to say it isn't breathtaking work; every piece is visually interesting. But I could see how they had trouble weaving it together and Sony losing faith in investing what looked to have been an expensive, massive undertaking.

Who wants to bet that one of the reasons they cancelled it was that it was similar to Destiny and there was no way in hell they could compete.

I've been waiting for this leak for 5 years, been itching to see what Stig and has team were working on.
The concept art looks interesting to me, with SSM graphics engine this could've been a looker.

This was cancelled in favour of more God of War?

Shame.

It wasn't cancelled in favour of more God of War, that was probably always going to come out at some point.

This game simply wasn't coming together as required, read Shinobi's quoted post above.

Who wants to bet that one of the reasons they cancelled it was that it was similar to Destiny and there was no way in hell they could compete.

Yeah I also remember reading rumours that in addition to Darkside not meeting milestones, a similar game in Destiny was also on the way which helped contribute to the decision to cancel.

Archtreyz

I am going to assume you have no idea about the God of War game that debut at the E3 2016 Sony presser with gameplay demo, set in Norse Mythology?
Surely theyre working on something else besides that though. They're a really big studio, and I thought they had multiple teams.

Destiny might have been a factor, but the fact that Days Gone exist means that's it's a negligible factor in a longer list of reasons that can be summed up with "game was a mess that failed milestones over and over"

Also, no, it wasn't cancelled in favour of God of War. Santa Monica was set up for a two game studio that was going to make this and GOW simultaneously but the cancellation of this meant this project got cancelled and replaced with NOTHING.

Destiny might have been a factor, but the fact that Days Gone exist means that's it's a negligible factor in a longer list of reasons that can be summed up with "game was a mess that failed milestones over and over".

Agreed.
Even if Destiny didn't exist, this game would've been canned.

I thought the game was called cancelled for a sec

Eh? It has been cancelled for years lol
Before anyone even knew this project existed.

Wozman23

I can't recall, but I got the feeling it was pretty far along, so now I want to see a playable build leak.

The art is definitely all over the place, but often times experimenting with art styles and differing concepts produces varied results. The human looking stuff is underwhelming, but the dino/creature/alien stuff seemed to have some potential.

The art looks lame in my opinion.

It's not really a big loss. God of War is definitely the right call for Sony Santa Monica, and it looks fantastic. Cory Barlog did a fantastic job with GoW II, and the new one has me hyped.

I like new series, but the ideas need to be executed well.

Destiny might have been a factor, but the fact that Days Gone exist means that's it's a negligible factor in a longer list of reasons that can be summed up with "game was a mess that failed milestones over and over"

Also, no, it wasn't cancelled in favour of God of War. Santa Monica was set up for a two game studio that was going to make this and GOW simultaneously but the cancellation of this meant this project got cancelled and replaced with NOTHING.

Not for the most part but it didn't help that a similar game that Sony was marketing alongside the Playstation was being made.

God of War was always going to happen though.

Gurish

It really looks kind of bland and boring to be honest, not any personality is in there, I think the cancellation was for the best in this case.

kenta

Has no PEINS
The artists are clearly skilled but the style is repellent... goofy armor on the humans, grody alien things, weird creatures (and not in an oddly-acceptable Geiger way). None of the art in that album makes me want to spend any time in that world

Corpsepyre

Banned
I'm glad we got to see concept art for this. Was supposed to be an open world third person shooter, with vehicles and more. I can clearly see some of that here, but also a lot more. I had kept up this this through linked in and more over the years,and kept wondering when we will get to see it. Oh well...I like a lot of the art, but it's obvious this was all over the place.

Looks good, though character faces are butt ugly, but I can't say this screams 'fun game concept' to me in the same way Horizon's concept art did.

Top Bottom