• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Arizona GAF | It's a dry heat

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Incredibly stupid, i didnt move to az to experience weather .
lol right

That storm was basically a standard IL thunderstorm minus tornadoes. Knocked power out for my block so it was muggy af in my apartment and opening the window wasn't exactly an option with all that.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
So I just got a new position at work and am trying to move into my own place. Anyone have any recommendations for good apartment complexes in the awhatukee/tempe area?

HariKari

So I just got a new position at work and am trying to move into my own place. Anyone have any recommendations for good apartment complexes in the awhatukee/tempe area?

Anything Mark Taylor is usually a pretty safe bet, although not on the cheap side. When I was looking as an ASU student, Cityscape at Lakeshore (Rural and Baseline) was nice and there's a ton of stuff in walking distance around it, including a whole foods across the street.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
Anything Mark Taylor is usually a pretty safe bet, although not on the cheap side. When I was looking as an ASU student, Cityscape at Lakeshore (Rural and Baseline) was nice and there's a ton of stuff in walking distance around it, including a whole foods across the street.

While I have fairly great wages and a great credit score, I don't have any rental history whatsoever (been living with my parents till now) which I think disqualifies me for Mark Taylor from what I've read. Cityscape looks great but slim pickings on available apartments in the next two months.

Probably doesn't help that I'm trying to move in the Tempe area right as the new semester is starting :/

HariKari

While I have fairly great wages and a great credit score, I don't have any rental history whatsoever (been living with my parents till now) which I think disqualifies me for Mark Taylor from what I've read.

It shouldn't and it never hurts to apply. And yeah, the ideal time to look is May-June, when a ton of units hit he market.

There's another cluster of apartments around Ray and the 10, with an AJ's and Sprouts in walking distance with a ton of other stuff, with a Frys/Trader Joes/Safeway complex 2 miles south. If you work at Intel or Honeywell that's a nice area.

Honestly, just go on apartments.com and check the in-unit washer/dryer option. It'll give you all the modern apartments plus the ones that have been heavily renovated. Or, alternatively, pick the intersection/shopping area you most want to live near and go with that, using google maps. Assuming you work in the area, your commute to work will be short on streets rather than the highway.

Dice

You are not ready, but you will be.
giphy.gif
FOREVER

guess it's just us three then.
losers /s

Side note, anyone have any tips for keeping all the caterpillars at bay? Yard it being taken over by them.

So this is short notice, but anyone free Friday and want to go to the Metallica concert? I have an extra ticket as the person I was going to take doesn't want to go anymore. At least I'm assuming as they haven't even contacted me in three weeks, so fuck em. If you're interested let me know.

mreddie

Tornado was spotted in Downtown which, that might get ugly in the 100 years.

Also, Palo Verdes are the worst fucking trees STOP PLANTING THEM, THEY SUCK.

Dice

Was it confirmed? I'm from IL and a lot of people "spot" a "tornado" but they don't know what they're talking about. Monsoons are very similar to tornadoes in their physics but with the mountains around it would be very hard to get the initial conditions that make the difference between one and a tornado.

Was it confirmed? I'm from IL and a lot of people "spot" a "tornado" but they don't know what they're talking about. Monsoons are very similar to tornadoes in their physics but with the mountains around it would be very hard to get the initial conditions that make the difference between one and a tornado.

It was confirmed to be an actual tornado, albeit a very weak landspout. It's really only notable in the sense that is actually existed, and was basically the least damaging part of the storm haha.

RetroMG

Also, Palo Verdes are the worst fucking trees STOP PLANTING THEM, THEY SUCK.

Some Palo Verde trees just plant themselves. I used to have one or two that just sprang up in my back yard on their own, until I ripped them out.

This is one of the many reasons that they suck.

desertdroog

There was a minor funnel between Prescott and Phoenix today.

Photo's taken earlier this afternoon on the way back from Watson Lake.

ZWVZ38y.jpg

3LImxl3.jpg

svxrL7W.jpg

*Edit* Born and raised in Madison, Wi. and have experienced plenty of Tornados. The only thing that was missing was the dark green wall cloud.

Dare I say the weather has been CLOSE to pleasant the last few days? Humidity has died down a bit at least.

Also, when are we having a meet-up? Is everyone too spread out?

Im so sick of bugs and animals . Oro valley was a mistake . Im moving back to civilization.

Went outside to smoke a joint and was chased by an aggressive javelina back inside

Whether you're intentionally downtown or just commuting out.

Be safe, phoenix PD is basically a military force, and I'm sure everything will be fine...but we also have a lot of crazies with guns.

Be safe AZ GAF, if you have to go through the I-10 tunnel, turn on the Dbacks and take a snooze.

RetroMG

There's a thunderstorm rumbling outside my window here in Tucson. I wondered if it was storming up in Phoenix*, and then I imagined a rainy, Helms Deep-esque battle between the Pro and Anti Trump protestors in the streets of Phoenix.

Seriously, though, stay safe up there, and if you don't have a reason to go to downtown Phoenix, for God's sake, stay home.

*my weather app says it's not supposed to storm in Phoenix, but it also says that it's not supposed to storm in Tucson, and I can hear the thunder, so... (shrug)

Hey Arizona gaf! Moving to Mesa, AZ for work on the 5th of September from Indiana. Any tips for a newcomer? I know it will be rediculously hot, but I grew up in Florida so I know all about the heat.

Dice

Florida did not prepare you.

Depending on where in Mesa, uh, look out for gangs...

Coming from Indiana, prepare for absolutely insanely aggressive drivers.

rjinaz

So damn tired of this heat already. It was like 105 today and I have to work out of a post office truck all day without air!

Please start dropping to the 90s. Please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom