• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones *NO BOOK DISCUSSION* |OT2| Season 7 - [Read the OP]

I know there's like .05% chance of it happening, but imagine Night King kills Jon next weekend and the episode ends with him turning not into a Wight but White Walker.

giphy.gif

There hasn't been some major, heinous GoT shit happening since s5 finale.

OrionX

This or its going to end up being some "creation" ala the mountain or who knows, involving the undead, etc. The whole thing is sketch for sure.

Ooh could we be in for another Melisandre-like pregnancy? I think I like this idea better. lol

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I mean, I remember more of when the dragons were uncontrollable and bloodthirsty and now they just apparently spend all day flying around the top of Dragonstone for the purposes of making the castle look more majestic.

studyguy

Speaking on Cersei and her pregnancy, what if
she's not pregnant, and is just trying to keep Jaime around because he's starting to realize she's insane
?

Absolutely my first thought along with
Arya double playing LF. Fully expect the two sisters to turn around and fuck him when their god damn brother can literally see through every single plot.

I mean, I remember more of when the dragons were uncontrollable and bloodthirsty and now they just apparently spend all day flying around the top of Dragonstone for the purposes of making the castle look more majestic.

Also down for those head pats my dude.
tumblr_m8hrymA5311r78cyqo1_400.png

Dragons fucking love head pats.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I didn't mean she wasn't said about it. Only that chaining up your "children" in a dungeon is not exactly good parenting.

Not to mention, isn't the problem of the dragons killing random people still a thing?

But...that was the only option she had because she wasn't capable of fully controlling them at that point, and it could get herself killed and it had gotten others killed, too. It's weird to criticize her for that when she had no choice.

And no, they're not going around killing random people anymore.

pablito

Even though I tire of the pacing complaints, one thing that'll be disappointing about it is we'll probably miss out on some awesome conversations. I'm not holding my breath but I hope at least Jon and Jorah have a convo. They got some shit to talk about. Their fathers, Longclaw, Dany, Sam. I'm expecting Jorah to let Dany go romantically and see Jon as worthy for her. The fast pace might not have this happen though.

Why do you say he wasn't at full power? Nothing happened to weaken them when they fought.

The Hound had a bounty on him, and some people tried to collect. He got bitten in the neck and he was letting it get infected. Arya had to convince him to let her burn away the infection.

Hyun Sai

So if Arya beat Brienne and Brienne beat the hound does that mean Arya can beat the Hound now?
No way in hell. Brienne beat an injured Clegane, and Brienne was just sparring with Arya.

He has spent the previous 2+ seasons hacking shit with an axe. He has multiclassed at this point.

Also true. I can go with "Warrior" as he got too much skill and discipline for the "Barbarian" class.

I got the idea Cersei was sterile since she had the same scene with the maestre and jaime when he returned to Kinds Landing and told jaime it was too late for her.

Sephzilla

Arya double playing LF. Fully expect the two sisters to turn around and fuck him when their god damn brother can literally see through every single plot.

I'm going to be super disappointed if that plot point
doesn't end with The Starks out playing Littlefinger

effzee

I know there's like .05% chance of it happening, but imagine Night King kills Jon next weekend and the episode ends with him turning not into a Wight but White Walker.

giphy.gif

There hasn't been some major, heinous GoT shit happening since s5 finale.

I imagine some major death is coming but I just don't see Jon or Danny dying.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Continuing:

It is silly. It's another contrived stall tactic by the writers to justify Cersei's continued existence.

It's ridiculous on so many levels. What changed between last episode and now? Dany was literally just complaining that Cersei was winning the war and that she needed to start conquering with her Dragons. She just had a major victory too. Usually you don't give your enemy tons of time to reconsolidate. Was it Bran's letter that changed Dany's mind? Why does his word mean more than Jon's? Tyrion would know that Cersei would never seriously consider honoring a truce on top of all of that.

Not to mention that the plan is really stupid and unnecessarily dangerous in general. They're sending an extremely small force North to capture a White Walker. So that they can show it to Cersei and...have a proper truce? Really? I thought during the episode while the plan was vague that they were meaning taking a Lannister rep on a dragon ride North to see for themselves, but that would make way too much more sense. Plus Jon has SEEN the White Walker army. There's usually no stragglers. How the hell are the gonna walk up to the horde and drag one away?

I don't even think they brought Dragonglass weapon with them.
Just a small correction, in that they are not trying to capture a White Walker but instead one of the zombie dudes the White Walkers control.

Sendero

This really bugged me too. They tried to cover it up by having him be downriver, but yeah. Tyrion saw his brother go in the water and never looked for him. Never mentioned him. Then knew he was alive to go meet him? Pretty shoddy writing on that piece.
Yeah, have said it before, but I think the need to end each chapter into a cliffhanger now, is likely messing with the way they organize/weight the scenes.

Think they would have gotten a stronger reaction from the audience, if they had payed more respect to those moment. I mean, Jaime now knows for certain that Tyrion is not guilty. That they could easily sneak into KL, and off Cercei without him knowing. And that instead, Daenerys decided to give them an easy out (which was Cercei's main argument: We have to fight or die).

All of that should have elicited a strong reaction on him. It would be important to show it.

Guevara

Thinking about it more this morning: the magnificent seven's plan is incredibly stupid:

Go North of the wall, on a suicide mission, with the king of the north himself (delegate much?), to capture a white walker alive, to bring it down to King's Landing somehow, to convince Cersei of all people to suspend war and mutual defend the realm.

Einchy

I think we're at like a 99% chance of a fairly major character death happening next week.

Yeah, I can't imagine they got against Wights and everyone makes it out alive.

Sucks 'cus everyone there would be a huge loss for the show.

roytheone

Pretty great episode! Stuff is now happening in such an incredible pace. Tyrion sneaking into king's landing for example could have easily be a whole season storyline for him in earlier season, but here the plan is made, executed and he is back all within 1 episode!

The end with the most epic team ups of team ups is also hype as hell! I wonder if we will see some more fire/blood magic now that the fire priest dude and Gendry are in the same team, they could seriously fuck some shit up together.

8 episodes left!

How can you? It was a plot point that it was happening because she didn't have control over them, now she does and it hasn't been brought up. It's basic storytelling.

I tend to agree with you. It's only that not really happened that would suggest a bigger control from Daenerys over her dragons. I do think they are not eating people, I just just don't see an explanation other than "just because".

Dartastic

I fully expect this to happen.

I also fully expect
Cersei to actually be pregnant, since we've got footage of her and Jaime in bed together. I think she's going to have a miscarriage.

Timbuktu

I fully expect this to happen.

I also fully expect
Cersei to actually be pregnant, since we've got footage of her and Jaime in bed together. I think she's going to have a miscarriage.

And the dead baby get turned inside her by Night King?

effzee

so with the confirmation that Rhaegar married Ned's sister - should we hate these two?

they ruined the whole realm and caused the death of millions.

Heshinsi

Gendry is basically DLC character. Hope him and Hound survived and meet Arya in the future.
He pretty much is, and they as much in the making an episode segment. Their options were to either have Ser Davos twiddling his thumbs and waiting for Tyrion to return, or reintroduce someone fans haven't seen for a long time. Which pretty much tells me that Gendry really isn't a caharcter that's going to affect the story all that much, if his reintroduction was simply a last minute add on to make a scene better.

so with the confirmation that Rhaegar married Ned's sister - should we hate these two?

I'd say hate Ned's older brother for being an idiot, by riding to KL with his mates and demanding that Aerys II order Rhaegar to return and face justice. How stupid do you have to be to go and do that with the Mad King of all people.

Ferrio

Banned

Wasn't their fault at all, it's like blaming Romeo and Juliet. Robert Baratheon and the Mad King are the big reasons for everything going to hell.

Einchy

I tend to agree with you. It's only that not really happened that would suggest a bigger control from Daenerys over her dragons. I do think they are not eating people, I just just don't see an explanation other than "just because".

What do you mean nothing happened? When she first chained her dragons up Drogon was doing this.
U6VxAsC.gif

She became scared of them and she had no idea where Drogon was half of the time. She then finds out he has killed people to eat them and wasn't able to do anything about it.

This changes at the end of season 5 when Drogon flies back to rescue Dany and lets her ride him, something that hadn't happened up until then, and after that we see he is no longer disobeying her at all. With season 6 and now 7, we see that she can effectively ride Drogon, he is no longer flying off for weeks on end and he listens to everything she says.

It's not "just because" or that nothing has happened to indicate her control over her dragons because we've seen a lot of those indications.

Hyun Sai

Rhaegar / Lyanna reminds me of Rob Stark story, but on a much much greater scale lol and the consequences going with it.

They done fucked up.

On a technical level maybe, but Brienne uses her strength pretty brutally when she fights. She flattened Ayra with a kick.

Arya is 4 feet tall and weighs 15 pounds. You could flatten her with a strong breath. But I'm pretty sure Brienne did a similar move when fighting The Hound, didn't she? She's good at improvisation beyond just "parry, parry, thrust."

Volimar

If it had been a real fight, Brienne would have stabbed her right after the kick.

Rhaegar didn't make the mad king mad, so I wouldn't put all the blame on them. If Robert didn't have such a temper they could have just broke off their engagement and married in peace.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I think we're at like a 99% chance of a fairly major character death happening next week.

You're just saying that because seven dudes went after the army of the dead and at least 3 of them are basically redshirts with no real relevance to the plot beyond "named characters who were in Season 3 who can look cool swinging a weapon."

Safe:

The Hound = safe; people want the Mountain confrontation and he's had the full seven seasons without his plot being resolved.

Jonerys Targaryen-Snow = Unbreakable Plot Armor to the point the plot would actually break if he died because nobody else cares about the Zombies.

Jorah = There's no reason to waste 2 seasons and 40 minutes of total airtime on curing his greyscale if he just kicks it here.

Unsafe:

Tormund = Fan favorite who has no real impact on the plot; easy cheap death candidate, but I could see him staying alive if only because the Wildlings literally become irrelevant if he's dead since he's the only named member that is alive.

Gendry = Walking Loose Plot Thread that's now been resolved.

Beric: Nobody cares about this guy and his plot has had like 5 minutes total in the entire series and there's no time to pick it up.

Thoros: Nobody cares about this guy and his plot has had like 5 minutes total in the entire series and there's no time to pick it up.

Einchy

Rhaegar didn't make the mad king mad, so I wouldn't put all the blame on them. If Robert didn't have such a temper they could have just broke off their engagement and married in peace.

Until Robert invites both of them to a wedding...

Heshinsi

Y'all seem to be forgetting that Ned's brother actually started this whole thing. If he hadn't rode south like a buffoon, this would more than likely have been resolved in a diplomatic fashion. I mean Olenna talks about how she fucked over wedding arrangements herself, and no wars started over that lol.

Ok question time:

"Winter is coming" So I never understood if this just means to Westeros or the entire world? Say the White walkers returned and conquered Westeros. What about the other nations across the sea? Dorne, The Dothraki homeland, etc? Would they be completely unaffected by winter and the white walkers? I don't see how the white walkers pose a threat to them. So if Jon and company failed, Westeros would be gone, but humanity would still live on in the lands across the ocean, etc. or is there something I'm missing? From the books perhaps?

Rhaegar should have notified others before scurrying off and pissing off everybody.

You can't pin this on any particular person, really. He made the mistake in keeping his love secret.

Y'all seem to be forgetting that Ned's brother actually started this whole thing. If he hadn't rode south like a buffoon, this would more than likely have been resolved in a diplomatic fashion. I mean Olenna talks about how she fucked over wedding arrangements herself, and no wars started over that lol.

There's nothing undiplomatic about having your sister being kidnapped by the Crown Prince and going to inquire about it. He shouldn't have threatened him, yes. But he had the right to question wtf was Rhaegar doing.

Rhaegar's a prick.

Hyun Sai

You're just saying that because seven dudes went after the army of the dead and at least 3 of them are basically redshirts with no real relevance to the plot beyond "named characters who were in Season 3 who can look cool swinging a weapon."

Safe:

The Hound = safe; people want the Mountain confrontation and he's had the full seven seasons without his plot being resolved.

Jonerys Targaryen-Snow = Unbreakable Plot Armor to the point the plot would actually break if he died because nobody else cares about the Zombies.

Jorah = There's no reason to waste 2 seasons and 40 minutes of total airtime on curing his greyscale if he just kicks it here.

Unsafe:

Tormund = Fan favorite who has no real impact on the plot; easy cheap death candidate, but I could see him staying alive if only because the Wildlings literally become irrelevant if he's dead since he's the only named member that is alive.

Gendry = Walking Loose Plot Thread that's now been resolved.

Beric: Nobody cares about this guy and his plot has had like 5 minutes total in the entire series and there's no time to pick it up.

Thoros: Nobody cares about this guy and his plot has had like 5 minutes total in the entire series and there's no time to pick it up.

Gendry is safe. He still got work to do with the weapons, and there is no way they make his comeback in one episode and die the next one.

The most likely to die are Beric and Thoros, but I doubt they will kill both.

Top Bottom