• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Waitress poured hot soup on me, restaurant did absolutely nothing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Two Words

Who is "they"? A restaurant is not a person. The only person in a position to do something is the manager who couldn't read your mind.

If I were a manager, I wouldn't need to be able to read my customer's mind to feel that I should proactively address the issue. If a customer of mine had hot soup spilled on them, I would feel compelled to address it, even if the customer didn't make a scene about it. I worked retail for a long time. I know what it's like to deal with asshole customers. The customers I always wanted to help the most were those that were polite, not the people that complain to try and get free stuff.

In this situation, I wasn't going to make a scene over $15. But that doesn't mean I can't also feel that the restaurant failed to address it, regardless of how I reacted.

One time at Dairy Queen, the girl who brought us our food accidentally dumped BOTH colas into my lap. She was mortified, but it wasn't a big deal to me even though I was wearing brand new jeans. They did give us free Blizzards though, which just made me feel colder than my damp crotch already did lol

Two Words

You're right, most people who don't care about something go home, post it on the internet and then argue for pages with people who don't agree with them. Drop the bullshit already, you weren't fishing for opinions, you were fishing for attention and people pat you on the back for how unjustly you were treated.

Think what you want. I have a hobby of posting stuff here. Me posting this here isn't anything special. Half of my time in this thread has been me sitting on a toilet.

wedca

OP you're 100% in the right here, they messed up and they should have compensated you. You shouldn't have to complain to a manager to get decent treatment. They have more to lose, you probably won't return there and you will probably tell this story to a lot of your friends. Perhaps you'll leave a negative Yelp review. It's bad customer service.

This is all completely correct. People who are saying "you didn't complain so why should they do anything?" really don't understand what good customer service means in the restaurant industry, it is absolutely the difference between getting a loyal repeat customer and having them never come back. Yelp and Trip Advisor reviews greatly compound this and can sink a restaurant, it is bonkers for a business to ignore this!

It's weird that they didn't offer anything, did she spill a lot or a little? Restaurants will usually be proactive about offering either some free food or a gift card for the inconvenience. It's weird they didn't imo. But yeah I also can see them thinking it was fine since you were being super chill about it.

This is all completely correct. People who are saying "you didn't complain so why should they do anything?" really don't understand what good customer service means in the restaurant industry, it is absolutely the difference between getting a loyal repeat customer and having them never come back. Yelp and Trip Advisor reviews greatly compound this and can sink a restaurant, it is bonkers for a business to ignore this!

This. Having worked in a restaurant if you fucked up and spilled on a customer, they'd be offered some extra compensation on top of the apology, whether they asked for it or not. Sometimes I feel like I'm in bizarro land with these responses, yeah it's a dull ass issue but why are so many people being a dick about the thread.

HvySky

Can we please drop this "upset" angle? It's getting very tiring. I didn't complain because I could tell the waitress was honestly sorry for it. I am like 99% sure that the management knew because it was a very small restaurant and a lot of employees were around when it happened. I think the restaurant did a bad job by not proactively addressing it. That doesn't mean I am upset. I am not upset, at least not to any significant degree.

You're talking about it. You're obviously affected by it. You don't have to label it "upset" if you don't want to, but obviously you're perturbed in some way considering you made a topic about it. People are simply replying to said topic. I don't think a restaurant is bad just because management, whom you didn't actually try making contact with in anyway, didn't think to give you a free meal.

You're continuing to talk about how the restaurant is "bad" because you didn't get a comp, yet you won't actually do anything about it short of not be upset about it on GAF. If you felt you should have gotten a comp, you could have politely said so at the restaurant.

Think what you want. I have a hobby of posting stuff here. Me posting this here isn't anything special. Half of my time in this thread has been me sitting on a toilet.

You've been shitting for at least 22 minutes?

Umm...

I don't think the soup is the worst of your problems.

Two Words

You're talking about it. You're obviously affected by it. You don't have to label it "upset" if you don't want to, but obviously you're perturbed in some way considering you made a topic about it. People are simply replying to said topic. I don't think a restaurant is bad just because management, whom you didn't actually try making contact with in anyway, didn't think to give you a free meal.

You're continuing to talk about how the restaurant is "bad" because you didn't get a comp, yet you won't actually do anything about it short of not be upset about it on GAF. If you felt you should have gotten a comp, you could have politely said so at the restaurant.

Just because you prefix what you're saying with "obviously" doesn't make it true. Posting here is a hobby. Stop trying to turn that into meaning I have to have to be upset to post here about it.

I see nothing wrong with thinking a restaurant is bad for not proactively addressing the issue. you can disagree with it, but it's like some of you can't comprehend that my point is that I feel that management should feel the need to address it without the customer pressing the issue.

PillarEN

I'd say most managers would give some kind of gesture for your trouble (it wasn't just a little water after all). I mean it shows they care about their customers. I don't know if they were unaware or if they didn't want to give any gesture, but really if you didn't like how the situation played out just don't go there anymore.

Just because you prefix what you're saying with "obviously" doesn't make it true. Posting here is a hobby. Stop trying to turn that into meaning I have to have to be upset to post here about it.

I see nothing wrong with thinking a restaurant is bad for not proactively addressing the issue. you can disagree with it, but it's like some of you can't comprehend that my point is that I feel that management should feel the need to address it without the customer pressing the issue.

they did proactively address it: you were given an apology. if that apology is not good enough compensation then you need to speak up. it's not like the soup was spilled, the waitress laughed, and you still proceeded to tip.

Forearms

Pretty much my thoughts, exactly. If OP was interested in some kind do of recompense above a heartfelt apology, then it should be made known to the restaurant. You can ask for a credit to your bill without being an asshole. "I appreciate the apology, but is it possible to get a credit for my meal as the soup may have permanently stained these clothes?"

What's with the passive aggressive attitude? You've gone from "I don't care, but really they owed me!" to "I just sit on the toilet and ya'll's posts don't mean nothing" when you specifically asked everyone's opinions in the first place.

Like, what?

Two Words

What's with the passive aggressive attitude? You've gone from "I don't care, but really they owed me!" to "I just sit on the toilet and ya'll's posts don't mean nothing" when you specifically asked everyone's opinions in the first place.

Like, what?

If you're going to use quotes, try to actually capture what I said and my tone.

Razorback

You can't see how having to ask for compensation is embarrassing?

"Oh excuse me, I don't know if you noticed but you dropped a bowl of soup on my pants. I was wondering if maybe you could not charge me for my meal? Thanks!"

wedca

they did proactively address it: you were given an apology. if that apology is not good enough compensation then you need to speak up. it's not like the soup was spilled, the waitress laughed, and you still proceeded to tip.

You keep saying this but everyone who knows anything about customer service in the restaurant industry thinks this was an inadequate response and that the impetus is not on the customer but on the business to make things right.

Forearms

Feeling that a manager should feel compelled to address the issue is passive aggressive?

Yes. Why would they do anything further if the apology from the waitress seemed to be enough for you, the easy going customer? Stick up for yourself if you want something more than an apology.

Two Words

Expecting a reaction when purposefully doing nothing is the definition of passive aggressive.

No, it's not.

pas·sive-ag·gres·sive
adjective
of or denoting a type of behavior or personality characterized by indirect resistance to the demands of others and an avoidance of direct confrontation, as in procrastinating, pouting, or misplacing important materials.

Thinking people should be proactive isn't being passive aggressive. It would be passive aggressive if I tried to manipulate the situation with passive action. I did not.

You keep saying this but everyone who knows anything about customer service in the restaurant industry thinks this was an inadequate response and that the impetus is not on the customer but on the business to make things right.

there's no rules for adequate response. he was given an apology, accepted it, and still tipped. you can call it inadequate and that's fine.

HvySky

You can't honestly think that you're not affected in some way about what happened. Someone accidentally spilled some soup on you and sincerely apologized. You were cool with it. And then you went home and made a topic about it seeking agreement that the restaurant is "bad". I'm seriously not trying to argue or be aggressive. Like, you did that. That happened.

flagdaddy

OP should have been compensated for the situation without literally saying anything. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. Plain and simple. Also I would love some soup right now

wedca

Yes. Why would they do anything further if the apology from the waitress seemed to be enough for you, the easy going customer? Stick up for yourself if you want something more than an apology.

They would do it because they want people to actually come back, haha. This is really obvious stuff.

Oh boy, here come the dictionary definitions...

OP should have been compensated for the situation without literally saying anything. Anyone who says otherwise is wrong. Plain and simple. Also I would love some soup right now

image.php

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Bare min they should have comped him his meal or offered something for free.

That's a pretty basic thing in the business. You should not have to make a fuss about it either.

Kieli

You're a whiny baby.

How tf is he whiny? He didn't make a fuss, and didn't ask for compensation.

He's just wondering if it was reasonable to get comped, and I say it is.

I got comped for a $20 meal just because it arrived later than everyone else's (and no, I didn't ask for, the manager did).

Two Words

You can't honestly think that you're not affected in some way about what happened. Someone accidentally spilled some soup on you and sincerely apologized. You were cool with it. And then you went home and made a topic about it seeking agreement that the restaurant is "bad". I'm seriously not trying to argue or be aggressive. Like, you did that. That happened.

Okay, yes I did that. I made about this and am posting in it while watch "Modern Family". The issue is that you're reading way too much into this. People can casually converse about something that happened to them.

marrec

Banned
I mean, you didn't make a big deal outta it so they probably brushed it aside. If I was managing I'd have made a point to pay for your meal though, nobody likes to walk around in soup covered clothes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom