• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LEGO |OT6| We Only Build in Black. And Sometimes Very Dark Grey.

Rootbeer

Banned
New page, wooo!

All set to go on Tuesday morning. Having a LEGO store right next to work makes my life that much easier. I'll be first in line to feel out a set of Ninjago CMF.

Then for Force Friday, thankfully is a, yeah, Friday... and I don't work Fridays, easy breezy. Should be smooth sailing to pick up those TLJ sets.

DonShula

Do modulars ever go on sale? I'm deciding whether to get one now or wait til later in the year.

Someone else made this suggestion, but another way you can make your own modular "sales" is to buy discounted gift cards for retailers that carry hard-to-find Lego products but never put them on sale (Toys R Us, Target, and Walmart all carry them online). You pick up a few gift cards from sales or Groupons here and there, and you can save some money that way when you buy a modular. Nothing spectacular, but better than retail.

2x VIP is effectively 10% off though, plus any bonus item of the month.

otapnam

Do modulars ever go on sale? I'm deciding whether to get one now or wait til later in the year.

Someone else made this suggestion, but another way you can make your own modular "sales" is to buy discounted gift cards for retailers that carry hard-to-find Lego products but never put them on sale (Toys R Us, Target, and Walmart all carry them online). You pick up a few gift cards from sales or Groupons here and there, and you can save some money that way when you buy a modular. Nothing spectacular, but better than retail.

2x VIP is effectively 10% off though, plus any bonus item of the month.

My go-to has been official toysrus gift cards from eBay/paypal itself (not a 3rd party seller) that show up for $85 for a $100 gift card. Set an alert at slickdeals for it and you won't miss the next one.

Is there a good place to see a release date calendar for upcoming sets (including VIP previews)? I feel like there are sets I wanted coming out soon, but I can't remember the exact dates.

ninge

Taking way longer to get the room decorated than expected... but progress is finally happening!

Painted all the walls (twice... because some previous owner of the house was a tit and used some cheap-ass paint so the walls bubbled when we repainted them. Fun times. Had to strip it all back and redo. Who knew Lego would lead to such amazing DIY stories eh?)

Laid a new floor and fitted new under desk storage, new desktops and new shelves!

No lego yet... but we can't have everything can we?

A0vYsUB.jpg

W1FwdGe.jpg

1qWktbN.jpg

Also, new lighting for the layout! :)

Haines

Banned
Can anyone remind me what days or month im waiting for the deals on the lego store?

I dont want to miss it, but i read ths thread every day so might be hard for me to miss lol

Taking way longer to get the room decorated than expected... but progress is finally happening!

Painted all the walls (twice... because some previous owner of the house was a tit and used some cheap-ass paint so the walls bubbled when we repainted them. Fun times. Had to strip it all back and redo. Who knew Lego would lead to such amazing DIY stories eh?)

Laid a new floor and fitted new under desk storage, new desktops and new shelves!

I want that room.

Maengun1

Already mentioned, but the best luck for "sales" on the big Lego sets are to periodically check amazon warehouse deals. They often have brand new sets that have suffered box damage in shipping or the warehouses, and you can get a decent discount that way. I've gotten all the $100 creator expert vechicles that way for ~$85 with a slightly crumpled box. Modulars pop up sometimes too.

That's if you don't care about the box being crumpled, anyway. Some people would but I just recycle them anyway.

Rootbeer

Banned
Can anyone remind me what days or month im waiting for the deals on the lego store?

I dont want to miss it, but i read ths thread every day so might be hard for me to miss lol
Are you specifically wanting deals (I assume you mean not only sales but when new promo items release,) or also when new items come out?

It's something I struggle with too... It's not always clear when stuff comes out and on what day. Usually it's the first day of each month unless the monthly calendar LEGO releases says otherwise. But even then, doesn't seem to always follow that pattern.

I wish brickset or another site would maintain an interactive calendar for this stuff ;)

Haines

Banned
Are you specifically wanting deals (I assume you mean not only sales but when new promo items release,) or also when new items come out?

It's something I struggle with too... It's not always clear when stuff comes out and on what day. Usually it's the first day of each month unless the monthly calendar LEGO releases says otherwise. But even then, doesn't seem to always follow that pattern.

I wish brickset or another site would maintain an interactive calendar for this stuff ;)

Deals. Savings. Double vip and whatever else you guys speak of.

Someone on a deal forum says lego.ca is giving away free lego snowglobe and piggybbank with 99 dollar orders

Is this something i should jump on? Not even sure what id order. I own no lego worth 100 dollars yet

Id prefer to buy something i wont be able to get on sale, or else im not saving much. Im eyeing the beetle right now.

I shpuld get something for my kid to help build instead. Maybe turbo track racer and the dinasaur?

Rootbeer

Banned
The overall best advice I can give you for following the latest deals is to do what I do. Get a news aggregator and fill it full of LEGO news sites. Check it as often as you can, anytime you are bored.

I use Feedly. Add sites like brickset, hoth bricks, brothers bricks, etc. Just search for LEGO within its interface and find some good ones. Their ios/android app is great too.

They'll help keep you updated. This thread does a nice job of mentioning things too, but sometimes stuff can get lost in the shuffle so I'd rely more on dedicated sites for info. The night something big is going to drop you'll see a lot of people start mentioning it, so that'll help keep you in the loop too.

Some people seem to like the Piggybank. It's nicely sized for a free item. If it interests you... go for it.

The Beetle is a very fine choice. Everyone has their areas of interest... some people only collect the larger buildable vehicles like the Beetle, some like myself don't care for them and like Star Wars, modular buildings, etc. Just buy what interests you.

If it says "hard to find" in the item listing then it's a great candidate to pick up on the lego online store, since they both aren't as readily available elsewhere nor do they go on sale as commonly. So you're on the right track.

Oh, and anytime you are thinking about placing an order, check the "sales and deals" section of their site, you can get some discounted stuff if you're lucky.

You mentioned Doubled VIP, make sure you do have the VIP account setup and good to go before you start ordering stuff. It's been a while, I forget if you have to opt-in to it or not. Just double check all that.

Haines

Banned
Thanks.

I was close to getting the dinasaur and fast track racer but i think those could come on sale.

The beetle is hard to find ( not on amazon or walmart here) and one of my favourite vehichles. I even bought a 2003 convertible new as my first car.

So i went with it and the boy will have the piggy and santa globe for gifts.

Got signed up for vip as well.

Jimrpg

Great job with the room!

Not only do we have to buy expensive Lego, but we have to 'buy' a room to put it in.

Joking aside, congrats!

Haines

Banned
You got the Beetle? You have chosen wisely!

Yeah congrats. I have a friend who is crazy about it. You won't regret owning it.

Yep, im very excited. The beetle really is one of my favorite things in life. And this set just looks gorgeous. Though i can certainly see it sitting in my closet til that perfect day or night to relax and build.

Im not sure if it would have made sense to wait for the double points or not, but the extra 2 free sets seem well enough a deal.

Haines

Banned
Wow parisian restraunt is only 60 more for another 1000 pieces. Tho im sure those pieces are small assorted things.

Modulars do hold there own in the price department dont they. No wonder they dont come on sale.

I might have to grab that restraunt during that double vip thing, seems like a good price for one of the best sets.

Random story - I started putting the Ninjago Temple together (the big modular sized one), and it's probably one of the most "fun" builds I've done in a while.

I usually do most of the modular/architecture stuff, and they always hit those points where they become super repetitive with the build. With the Temple, it's all bright colors/random pieces/unique pieces, and it's actually exciting to go through the bags to see what part is coming next.

The downside is, I'm going to burn through it faster than other sets because I want to keep going now, haha.

Just picked up my 42069 Extreme Adventure and 42068 Airport Rescue. The 42070 All Terrain Tow Truck is still on the wishlist, waiting for a lower price though.

ghostmind

Random story - I started putting the Ninjago Temple together (the big modular sized one), and it's probably one of the most "fun" builds I've done in a while.

I usually do most of the modular/architecture stuff, and they always hit those points where they become super repetitive with the build. With the Temple, it's all bright colors/random pieces/unique pieces, and it's actually exciting to go through the bags to see what part is coming next.

The downside is, I'm going to burn through it faster than other sets because I want to keep going now, haha.

Ninjago Temple came out of nowhere and captured my "set of the year" award. It was one of the most satisfying builds I've done, and the end result lives up to the build experience.

I'm hoping that Ninjago City recaptures that lightning in a bottle.

DonShula

The snow globe looks legit. I'm probably gonna get it.

Almost done with my Parisian Restaurant anyway.

Still out of shelf room. Something's gotta give.

The snow globe looks legit. I'm probably gonna get it.

Almost done with my Parisian Restaurant anyway.

Still out of shelf room. Something's gotta give.

Snow globe is great and was going for serious money on ebay at last year's end. Not sure now. If you don't like it, just sell it for profit.

Ninjago Temple came out of nowhere and captured my "set of the year" award. It was one of the most satisfying builds I've done, and the end result lives up to the build experience.

I'm hoping that Ninjago City recaptures that lightning in a bottle.

I feel like because there's no rules for Ninjago stuff, it's easier to make it exciting/different. If they're making a modular building, obviously there's rules about keeping everything uniform and "real" looking.

DonShula

Snow globe is great and was going for serious money on ebay at last year's end. Not sure now. If you don't like it, just sell it for profit.

I love having Lego stuff stashed away with the Christmas decorations. Back when I was emerging from my dark ages I got that gingerbread house and busted it open. Had no idea it'd go for so much later. But it makes a great decoration.

If you like modulars, don't visit Ghent. Every damn house in the city looks perfect for a custom build. I'm thinking about tearing down all mine and starting over.

I'm not the only one that keeps thinking modulars when visiting basically... anything?

I work in a small city that has a lot of older buildings, and there's things I know I built on modulars that look exactly like the way some of the architecture is built.

It's really need to see a tie between the two, even though obviously, one inspired the other.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
I've had the LEGO Boost app be unresponsive for me a few times. In particular when fiddling with creating/editing a new project.

Haines

Banned
My lego order of the beetle still hasnt shipped.

Today i was really pondering whether i made a mistake bc the restraunt has twice the pieces for only 60 more dollars.

I could cancel and order the restraunt instead. Idk. Im just inside my own head. Maybe i should just ask the wife...

Top Bottom