• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Meeting your sister on a dating site is gross and weird and you should swipe fucking left.

Taruranto

Yokai Apartment #3

RUrXzLE.png

MC is actually developing and adapting faster than I expected, it's kind refreshing.

Twice is like My Hero Academia's version of Deadpool right. Not aspect for aspect, but come on, he's got to be at-least in part responsible for inspiring him, right?

MHA 147

Toga <3

Hunter x Hunter

Still setting things up but the payoff will sure be interesting.

Helck 98.2

Helck you idiot, do you want Anne to suffer even more?

dani_dc

Beastars 44

So the feral reaction of a bunny is to be eaten?
I'm so confused.

Probably a good idea to avoid the sex though, I don't think a wolf would be compatible with a bunny.

Seems like their relationship is more or less solved though, not much to go from here outside of a weird love triangle with the other wolf.

Meeting your sister on a dating site is gross and weird and you should swipe fucking left.

What are you talking about?

dani_dc

Yeah, look at how sweet these two are!

Siblings romance is definitely wrong (even if studies shows we're more likely to be attracted family members, as long as we're not aware they're family members).

I was wondering about the context of the comment, that's all.

Sekirei I-4

The numbering on these first few chapters is kind of weird lol, I guess because it had to change magazines early on? Anyways, nothing too mind blowing or original, but I've been looking for a decent ecchi battles series (no barbie doll anatomy like Negima or UQ Holder) that doesn't half ass the servicey parts but also isn't tone deaf enough to try to include any sexual assault as a serious story element. Looking at you Freezing...

Zweizer

Banned
New Game! ch50

Even if the result is bittersweet, Aoba has grown quite a lot.

Okusan ch50

Simultaneously both the best and worst rescue ever.

Shinkaigyo no Anko-san ch17

Yep, they are in good hands. It's always nice to have a teacher who is passionate about both her field and accepting the nature of her students. Plus, Wakasa gets to have a kindred spirit.

Mob Psycho 100 ch100.6

She's surprisingly brave. At this point Mob is going to go through a gauntlet of all the relevant espers of the series (and win withotu a sweat).

Youkai Shoujo - Monsuga ch104

Guess all the pantyshots at the start of the chapter are to compensate for the battle coming next.

JulianImp

Helck - ch99
... This is starting to drag on for longer than I'd have liked. We already knew An doesn't want Helck to pull of a heroic sacrifice here and that she's basically out of both physical and magical strength by now. We already knew of her despair at the current state of affair without the manga devoting this chapter to having her remember events that happened just a handful of chapters ago.

It took the show so long to set up the pinch Helck and An are currently in that I wasn't even cheering when Asdra showed up, but more like thinking it was about time.

iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls - U149 16

It's their first proper show, so I feel like picking a leader deserves more consideration than he gave it here. Then again, it'll work out regardless (after Chie's inner struggles blah blah) because that's just the type of manga this is. I guess the list of alternate candidates isn't exactly stellar either.

Met My Sister on a Dating Site 10.2

After that other extra, I can't help but imagine the reporter lady standing outside the booth, pressing her face against the glass and breathing heavily. So I'm taking that as canon. It'd improve this chapter by about 483%.

Met Angry Grimace on a Gaming Site

Title is accurate. 10/Zweizer.

Talentless Nana 3
Plot twist: he's an actual mind reader and she's just fucked herself. Well, there're basically no chance of that if everyone only has one talent, since his is evidently something that lets him go cliff diving without dying. Still, until she figures out what it is, she should probably be a bit more cautious.

I really hope this dude doesn't bite it next chapter, so far he seems like the only one capable of figuring out what's happening. He'd make a good long term rival, L-style.

I have a feeling the fancy guy or his girlfriend will be next instead.
Yeah, I'm pretty sure he's being set up as a long term rival. He'll be around for a while.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
Seven Deadly Sins What poor timing for a heroic sacrifice.

Beastars 43-44 Boooo. I wanted them to just fuck and get it over with. Well, as long as everyone else suspects I guess......

I am a Hero

I am a Hero is a apocalyptic zombie action/drama story set in Japan.

Perhaps the main feature here is the awkward protagonist. He is a mediocre mangaka (all very self-referential) who suffers from night terrors, delusions, light paranoia, he is socially inept, and have a tendency to talk alone.

The series uses smartly some scary elements beyond normal zombies using the protagonists frights and delusions, and the delusions the zombified people seem to have.
For example this was more creepy than the zombies

The story starts slow, it needs several chapters to even really start for real, but I think it's worthwhile setup of the normal world at the beginning, somehow the zombie apocalypse feels more real thanks to that.
And by the way, this is a spectacular when shit hits the fan. Very good action scenes. They are well framed and well planned, seeing people running away from a horde of zombies and fighting for their life is great. The series uses realistic backgrounds and very detailed zombies, and contributes a lot to the realism and spectacularity. And he uses a lot double page spreads full of detail in the key scenes.
That said, it isn't fully an action manga, action is used sparsely (for example, the shotgun isn't used by the MC until volume 8).

The drawing can also be pretty inventive, using for example first person perspective to have a claustrophobic view with masks the character use.

Another element the series uses are some slight touches of humor, sometimes based on pathetic pahtos of characters (and the author is known for it), which are funnier as they are in the middle of zombie apocalypse. It's interesting how the main character is subtly drawn in a more ugly manner when he behaves pathetically in girls presence, and is slightly more handsome in the heroic scenes.

I am a Hero has a pace which is fairly quick after the start, though that doesn't mean every chapter reads quickly. He uses a very cinematic approach and a single 'scene' can be 60 pages, so the volumes aren't dense in stuff happening. It really uses the visual and cinematic aspect of manga well, depicting visually a well mdade zombie apocalypse.
And with the overcrowded cities, the indifference of the public, the viral rumors going rampart on internet, the comic feels very contemporary.

The author also presents interesting power dynamics in survivor groups, changing when just someone with a bigger weapon appears, or using a woman's body as currency, or people conspiring in a coup d'etat, or maybe all crumbles to nothing when someone makes a small mistake.
As a con, all the neet angle the author uses, with the neet revenge on society is tiring, and just reminds you the writer is surely another otaku.

So around a point well advanced in the story, the more scienc-y fiction part starts. The explanation given is that aliens are behind the zombie apocalypse. Maybe to help humanity to reach a 'higher' state, and not to invade the planet.
In one hand I am thankful for an explanation of how zombies could move with their hearts stopped and stuff like that. If you say 'aliens and their advanced technology!' I can accept it a bit more easily.
But on the other hand... uh. Aliens.
Does this story really needed an explanation of the true nature of the zombies or why all started?
In fact, even when the giant zomb-monsters start appearing, they are totally unrelated to the plights and successes of the main characters, they could well exist in another world, the plot threads are only joined in the last volume, and it's done a bit hapzarhdly.
Finally, in the end it's just another HUMAN INSTRUMENTALITY PROJECT, goddamnit! So unoriginal. Evangelion shadow is long, I suppose.

Drama-wise, I thought it was all very correct, I liked Oda-san tragic arc, the incipient romantic triangle complicating things, all the conflicting feelings complicating things. Of course it ends in tragedy, with Oda-San dead, Hiromi joining the zombie-mind ridden with guiltiness, and Hiro alone and again talking with himself (normal in his condition) but... can we be really surprised this ended in tragedy?? Did anyone expected a happy ending where the zombies are defeated and they all lived happy and together? I don't think so. We had seen humanity was already almost extinct.
Hell I was surprised a few guys survived thanks to the helicopter.

But it's true I'm not totally happy with the end, it lacks some poignant theme or something. But it was a very good manga for 90% of the story!
I think the science fiction plot went nowhere, it would have been ok if the author would have done something intriguing, original with that in the main plot, but he didn't. And the final drama didn't feel personal enough, it lacks impact.

upandaway

Sesuji wo Pin 53

That's round 1 of the nationals done. Neat stuff all around especially from the main two, but it was pretty vanilla the whole round.

I can definitely say I'm starting to see why the manga didn't last long term. I'm still having a lot of fun with it but it does feel a bit shallow for a sports manga (most of the manga's novelty has run out in the last tournament). There's a couple places where it's rough around the edges like the small variety in face expressions, but more importantly it's not doing a whole lot with the matches despite being 100% matches. It might have been able to go a bit further if it showed more slice of life things between matches... the sport itself is not very suitable for a manga format. So looking at the final chapter count, it feels just right.

kasane

talking about shonen arcs there are a handful of great ones

kyoto arc comes to mind

then the streak of water 7, enies lobby, impel down all the way to the time skip is one of the greatest and hypest things ever.

and also the chimera ant arc

TBH among shonen mangas One Piece and Hunter X hunter are transcendent

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

kyoto arc comes to mind

then the streak of water 7, enies lobby, impel down all the way to the time skip is one of the greatest and hypest things ever.

Kenshin from Kyoto through the ending is a pretty amazing stretch as well.

kyoto arc comes to mind

too bad oda and togashi lost their touch as arcs after these have just fail to even reach at being a gram of as good as those.

kasane

Yeah. Kenshin is overall an underrated shonen manga with its greatness.
too bad oda and togashi lost their touch as arcs after these have just fail to even reach at being a gram of as good as those.

I mean theres a reason those particular stretches are the best, they're basically perfect and immaculate. Its a tall order to reach those heights

HxH has only had like one full arc post chimera ant.

and thats Togashis fault lol

Kenshin is a shonen that imo just got better and better as it went on. Did that new arc start that has been talked about? The preview stuff viz jump had back in December was really good.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Kenshin is a shonen that imo just got better and better as it went on. Did that new arc start that has been talked about? The preview stuff viz jump had back in December was really good.

It's August or September I think. I'm really looking forward to it.

Mediking

Rurouni Kenshi?

Yup. Amazing manga. Really good directing of scenes and panels. Got a big feeling he influenced Tite Kubo's directing in Bleach manga.

Heart of the Girl 1
Cute girls and cute aliens (who look like cute girls) playing cute yuri conquest games. In cute 4-koma style. Art and characters are cute. That's pretty much all there is to it. Followed because cute yuri.

Met My Sister On A Dating Site 10.3

Is there any development (plot device or otherwise) that's less inspiring than body-switching? Truck-kun might have an outside shot if it wasn't hilarious so often. Anyway, fortunately it's confined to just 5 pages here. Or at least until we get the flip side view of the younger sister.

Wait until the next arc, oh baby are you in for it.
Well, I finished it. I actually like the previous arcs more, if only because they're simpler. Still, it probably has more surprises than almost all the popular shonen manga out there.

So, current arc seems to be reminiscent of
Battle Royale
? Rooting for the little tyke.

Lain

Blood Lad's ending felt somewhat anti-climatic to me.
That last fight felt like a well we gotta end it here so.... here, done.
Sure, Staz grew up as he was able to accept what was best for Fuyumi and hey, we got the happy ending. Yet... as a whole, it was unfulfilling for me.

Zweizer

Banned
Heart of the Girl ch1 by Tamamusi

12b7sby.png

Alien girls versus Earthling girl at conquering Earthling girls. Let's all cheer for our representative to save our women (by charming them first)!

Bloom Into You ch24

All in all, a pretty peaceful and uneventful date.

Downfall ch4

Jeez, are you trying to tell us something, Asano?

Watari-kun no ×× ga Houkai Sunzen ch27

Dude is a real magnet for crazies.

Innocent Devil 7
I had a feeling that the battle between the one-sided lovers wouldn't end in murder here, but that was still a pretty impressive game of chicken from Akane. She might actually be the sanest central character in this manga right now, even after that display. If Touko doesn't currently value her assistant's sanity that highly, I'm sure she'll change her tune as time progresses. The power of character development compels her.

To feel the SCHWING
Er...
To weaken Chrollo since he uses powers borrowed from other spiders.
Decrease the skill pool Lucifer has access to.
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

If I may add, doesn't this seem out of character for him? He wants to fight strong people but leveling the playing field by doing this seems like it isn't a thing he'd do. Instead of making himself stronger, he's making his opponent weaker indirectly.

Top Bottom