• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

LotusHD

Banned
Virgin Bahamuts - Episode 17

Lovely episode. I like the romance in this season a lot. It just works. Really cut interactions, and the production values are still solid. While it lacks the adventure aspects of the original series, I think the new characters are pretty great, and as long as the show isn't about Azazel, it's really enjoyable. Maybe they should kill him off and just have Lucifer take over as the main demon character. :p

It took a bit longer than expected at first, but this is now pretty much as consistently entertaining as the first season/show. I too am quite fond of the romance as well.

Sorry to distract you all from cute girls doing cute things, but I've had some time lately so I've tried watching the Hunter x Hunter anime (the newer one).

I'm up to episode 6 but I'm really bored. It just seems like the sort of generic shounen I wouldn't even watch at age 12. How long do I have to go till it gets better?

I personally liked the Yorknew City arc which takes place from episodes 37-58 (edited for accuracy now that I looked it up). Afterward, it shits the bed as far as I'm concerned, even if it still offers good moments here and there.

The first arc is done vastly better in the 1999 adaptation btw. and I would've probably enjoyed it if I saw that first.

moogs

Neo Member
Gamers! 1

What an awful first impression. The whole thing was so drawn out following our stereotypical boring protagonist and "perfect" female lead with a nerdy hobby. I don't have the patience for something like this.
This is representative of the first episode until the end; yet, I found it to be more nuanced than that. Thereafter the focus sets into interpersonal behavior and image. The character archetypes don't seem problematic in-universe, and the characters themselves have expressed some depth and self-awareness.

What was drawn-out, exactly?

Envelope

sealed with a kiss
Yuri On Ice (thanks twitch)

Really wish i had watched this when it aired.... ended up really enjoying this

hopefully
we get a real kiss in the movie

phaze

Sorry to distract you all from cute girls doing cute things, but I've had some time lately so I've tried watching the Hunter x Hunter anime (the newer one).

I'm up to episode 6 but I'm really bored. It just seems like the sort of generic shounen I wouldn't even watch at age 12. How long do I have to go till it gets better?

Coming from a person who felt very similarly ~35-60 is a stretch I found decently good. Lots of people love and swear by the ~75-135 arc.

Taruranto

Yuri On Ice (thanks twitch)

Really wish i had watched this when it aired.... ended up really enjoying this

hopefully
we get a real kiss in the movie

We got confirmation that the director had to fight to keep that scene, so at this point it's only a matter of producers/sponsors.

Narag

My Hero Academia S2 17
awq42Gjl.jpg
VM7MNgwl.jpg

wrWDt52l.jpg
LASXgvNl.jpg
I hope my boy Stain sticks around a while because he's a great counterpoint to All Might in a world where heroism is just a job rather than a duty. Took him a bit but he brought the best out of Iida who has come as long of a way as Deku has so far.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
My Hero Academia 2 17

I like that despite telling us what Stain's quirk is last episode, the advert break splash card still listed it as unknown.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I notice I'm still the only one to mention Action Heroine Cheer Fruits in this entire thread, meaning you're all officially disgracefuls.

So time to post some propaganda:

tCkOC1h.png

That should get Narag on board at least.

blurr

Well, yea his appearance in the previous episode more or less implied he's gonna show off his moves. Was even in the preview for a bit.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
*man commits mass scale racial cleansing/slavery. repeatedly tries to kill the main hero and maybe destroy the world.*
"wow, so dreamy. i love romance stories." - anime fans.

Qurupeke

*man commits mass scale racial cleansing/slavery. repeatedly tries to kill the main hero and maybe destroy the world.*

He had a troubled past, all his sins and mistakes have been forgiven by anime logic.

blurr

My Hero Academia S2 17

I hope my boy Stain sticks around a while because he's a great counterpoint to All Might in a world where heroism is just a job rather than a duty. Took him a bit but he brought the best out of Iida who has come as long of a way as Deku has so far.

Good point but besides Iida's story I haven't particularly felt the need for his counterpoint in the show.

Narag

I blame Gundam.

he's got to have something to counteract the fact that he's a relentless dickbag

I honestly suspected him to be more of an opportunist that picked fights he could win in order to garner more public support. I didn't expect him to be good at his job is all!

Good point but besides Iida's story I haven't particularly felt the need for his counterpoint in the show.

I have because I can't even remember Shigaraki's motivations beyond "It's simple, we kill the Batman All Might" although I suspect they're ultimately about as flimsy as the motivations of others becoming heroes. Someone adhering to such a rigid belief system and being able to back it up is nice in a world where even the villains feel rather wishy-washy.

I blame Gundam.

I honestly suspected him to be more of an opportunist that picked fights he could win in order to garner more public support. I didn't expect him to be good at his job is all!

I have because I can't even remember Shigaraki's motivations beyond "It's simple, we kill the Batman All Might" although I suspect they're ultimately about as flimsy as the motivations of others becoming heroes. Someone adhering to such a rigid belief system and being able to back it up is nice in a world where even the villains feel rather wishy-washy.
Shigaraki's motivations at the start are honestly supposed to be flimsy and weak. A huge point of the show is that Shigaraki is evolving as a villain at the same time Deku evolves as a hero

DNAbro

My Hero Academia S2 Episode 17

The art direction in this episode was amazing. Stain still goes down as the best villain of the series so far.

Narag

Shigaraki's motivations at the start are honestly supposed to be flimsy and weak. A huge point of the show is that Shigaraki is evolving as a villain at the same time Deku evolves as a hero

I think I'd appreciate that angle better if he hadn't been more or less introduced as leading a small army of villains into hero school. It creates this sort of cognitive dissonance within me where I have trouble reconciling him managing something like that without having already been active & established to some degree. He comes across as a severely petulant child whcih, as The Force Awakens taught me, I have little patience for.

Sterok

Made in Abyss 4

Pretty tame so far. Well, this is stuff even amateurs are supposed to be able to handle, so that isn't too surprising. The deeper they go, the more messed up things get.

Mix Master The King of Cards Episode 1 (engdub)

Oh another card anime to add to my list of card animes for kids, this one was pretty good especially with the travel to the game world and game world becomes mixed with the real world plot. Looking for ward to more.

I think I'd appreciate that angle better if he hadn't been more or less introduced as leading a small army of villains into hero school. It creates this sort of cognitive dissonance within me where I have trouble reconciling him managing something like that without having already been active & established to some degree. He comes across as a severely petulant child whcih, as The Force Awakens taught me, I have little patience for.

I mean, that's kind of the point. All Might even calls him a man child after the first incident lol

Narag

Endeavour's competence has never been his problem.

When all I've been privy to is his terrible domestic life and secondhand conversation by cast members, gauging what #2 actually meant was difficult for me since it's in a world where there's been only two types of heroes shown so far: All Might and all the rest.

I mean, that's kind of the point. All Might even calls him a man child after the first incident lol

I appreciated that too lol

Future Card Buddyfight X [ Batzz ] Episode 16 engdub

Shido episode, meaning it was awesome. I miss the days of him on team dark masterminds but sticking around has been good enough for me, hes hilarious and such a good buddyfighter.

The possession plot with Gao in Tasuku was amazing. I hope for more next episode.

Narag

Action Heroine Cheer Fruits 1-3

For un-BGBW and totally un-Kemono Friends reasons, I gave this a shot to find it surprisingly pleasant. This normally isn't my kind of thing but it was surprisingly pleasant. It's as if a low-rent version of the earnestness of Girls und Panzer was shoved into the premise of Sakura Quest and ended up fairly enjoyable. It's not the best thing and sometimes the faces weird me the fuck out because they look a little off but I liked what I've seen of it so far.

blurr

I meant in the sense that there wasn't a need for someone to police the Heroes if they are doing their duty properly. Sure, Heroes have different motivations for why they do it but it's not that the show made an argument for Stain's motivations(unless they've planned for his backstory at some point). This angle however antagonizes him better while also filling up Iida's shortcomings (which was just a consequence of Stain's actions). Attack against a noble hero like Ingenium was more of a message to the world but it still leaves little room to understand his point of view unless I pull myself out of its universe and what we know concretely.

Stain's design, depiction and motivation is sound but he doesn't make perfect sense in the world MHA on grounds of the last quality, there's much we still don't know about. This is assuming he won't be back again.

Narag

I meant in the sense that there wasn't a need for someone to police the Heroes if they are doing their duty properly. Sure, Heroes have different motivations for why they do it but it's not that the show made an argument for Stain's motivations(unless they've planned for his backstory at some point). This angle however antagonizes him better while also filling up Iida's shortcomings (which was just a consequence of Stain's actions). Attack against a noble hero like Ingenium was more of a message to the world but it still leaves little room to understand his point of view unless I pull myself out of its universe and what we know concretely.

Stain's design, depiction and motivation is sound but he doesn't make perfect sense in the world MHA on grounds of the last quality, there's much we still don't know about. This is assuming he won't be back again.

I think there's something to be inferred from his motivation that makes things work out neatly and that's if there was some sort of black & white period where good guys were good and bad guys were bad and there wasn't much in-between. Heck if I know if there was such a period in this world because my dcotor has forbidden me from reading manga but if there were, All Might's existtence as an anachronism in a time that's left that sort of idealism behind could draw both Stain and Shigaraki's motivations out with the former longing for a pure era and doing what he can to return the world to such a state and the latter being such a cynic that he's infuriated that kind of person could even still exist.

I mean, one of the very first things that's pointed out in the show is that being a hero is a government job and that they're working for money and fame and not just purely altruistic motives with Mount Lady basically rushing in to "kill" steal from another hero. Stain is essentially an idealist who believes their's a fundamental problem with this set up

Dive!! Episode 4

No it finally happened/is happening, I love Ryo but I thought something like this would eventually happen. Please stay friends with Tomoki please.

Tsuji is my fave of the new characters though maybe thats more for the Aoi Shouta voice and personality.

More out of pool moments could be fun.
tumblr_otuffbV7M91u94fbwo2_540.png
tumblr_otuffbV7M91u94fbwo4_540.png

Yamada theme is also one of the best songs on the ost.

blurr

I mean, one of the very first things that's pointed out in the show is that being a hero is a government job and that they're working for money and fame and not just purely altruistic motives with Mount Lady basically rushing in to "kill" steal from another hero. Stain is essentially an idealist who believes their's a fundamental problem with this set up

True but that's not exactly shown as a bad thing. I agree that Stain's just an idealist but my point is whether or not his actions were necessary as per Narag's original post.

I think there's something to be inferred from his motivation that makes things work out neatly and that's if there was some sort of black & white period where good guys were good and bad guys were bad and there wasn't much in-between. Heck if I know if there was such a period in this world because my dcotor has forbidden me from reading manga but if there were, All Might's existtence as an anachronism in a time that's left that sort of idealism behind could draw both Stain and Shigaraki's motivations out with the former longing for a pure era and doing what he can to return the world to such a state and the latter being such a cynic that he's infuriated that kind of person could even still exist.

Optimistic but that's a great take I'll give you that. I don't know if it's true but it would make for a very interesting story if touches on that topic
(and I will also blame you for spoiling it for me!!!!!).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom