• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vudu disc to digital coming to smartphones - barcodes

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/vudu-mobile-app-scan-dvd-digital-copies-1202014120/

It has the same prices as the existing disc to digital program, $2 for a DVD, $5 to upgrade, and $2 for a Blu-ray. I've been a fan of this program for a while letting me cut down on my physical collection and upgrade it at the same time. I wonder how this new incarnation will be used over time.
The new Vudu Mobile Disc-to-Digital feature allows customers to scan the UPC bar code on a DVD or Blu-ray case using the service’s app, then pay to gain access the movie on Vudu’s streaming service. The feature is slated to go live in the Vudu apps for iOS and Android on Thursday, March 23, at 12 p.m. ET.
But there’s a key catch: Customers must be physically located at their home billing address in order for the disc-to-digital conversion to work from their phones.
In addition, the mobile-conversion feature will be capped at 100 titles per year for each account.

Edit: Your first movie through this is FREE.

Matt

http://variety.com/2017/digital/news/vudu-mobile-app-scan-dvd-digital-copies-1202014120/

It has the same prices as the existing disc to digital program, $2 for a DVD, $5 to upgrade, and $2 for a Blu-ray. I've been a fan of this program for a while letting me cut down on my physical collection and upgrade it at the same time. I wonder how this new incarnation will be used over time.
So (assuming the geo location aspect even works right), people can just buy disks, scan them, and return them.

Syriel

I was dreaming of a service like this for my 300+ cds I had before I had to hock them all for rent money. Oh well.

Disc-to-digital is free for CDs if you have a PC and a free Google account. Rip + upload = in da cloud.

People are going to abuse the shit out of this.

They can just scan it in the store without buying it.

Retail wont be happy for this.

nah the catch is you have to be at your home billing address when doing the scan for it to work.

but returning it unopened after you scan will prolly be done. this system is a cool idea but so flawed lol.

Isn't that the point of most blu rays including digital copies? I have a hard drive of ripped movies, but I just stick with my Disney app for movies on the go.

nah the catch is you have to be at your home billing address when doing the scan for it to work.

but returning it unopened after you scan will prolly be done. this system is a cool idea but so flawed lol.

Spoofing GPS coords on an android device is easy. They may put solutions in play to stop people using dev options to do it, but they can't do bugger all about a device with Root access.

EDIT Beaten!

Stanng243

The only downside to this is a while ago, I put all my discs in binders and threw out the cases. I hope I can still do the instore service

They can just scan it in the store without buying it.

Retail wont be happy for this.

It's really not a big deal. If you want to steal movies, there are much easier ways to do it (torrenting, illegal streaming). This is for honest people who want to legally convert their movies to digital.
What's to stop someone from taking a picture of the UPC code at a store, and then "scanning" it at home?

the fact that torrenting is much easier than that

To the people saying retail won't like it, Vudu is owned by Walmart, which is still inexplicable to me because it's the highest quality streaming service and very forward facing on tech

JB1981

Spoofing GPS coords on an android device is easy. They may put solutions in play to stop people using dev options to do it, but they can't do bugger all about a device with Root access.

EDIT Beaten!

How many people do you honestly think are going to go through the effort to do this? Many people don't even know how to access settings in their phone. They're not going to spoof GPS just to redeem a movie.

WoolyNinja

As far as I remember disc to digital doesn't work with new movies. So buying a new movie, scanning the code, and returning won't be an option for those.

FyreWulff

Yeah, was wondering how they'd keep people from just scanning the movie at a Walmart themselves, sounds like the GPS thing is basically looking for "not at a store"

louiedog

You people are overthinking this with gps spoofing and store returns.

Google Image Search should have you covered.

Capped at 100 per year.

With ultraviolet I think you can tie something like 5 vudu accounts together, so ~500 per year if someone really wanted to.

GulAtiCa

You people are overthinking this with gps spoofing and store returns.

Google Image Search should have you covered.

Hell, it's even easier then that. Amazon has probably every main DVD/etc backside pictures.

Just go to the movie you want and click on the back side. For example, here is Deadpool: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BLS9E2Y/?tag=neogaf0e-20
UPC Code in full display.

Though, I guess movie studios will still get the money from Vudu.

rjinaz

I'm assuming the 10+ half off deal works for this app too, so you can essentially get 10 bu rays for $10?

If so, game changer.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
GPS spoofer lol.
You just put the upc into a barcode generator easily found with a quick search.

This is going to get abused.
But the previous (and currently existing) system was also heavily abused.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Also, will this even work on iOS?
You can't buy or rent movies on the iOS app, so it wouldn't make sense to allow these transactions either.

I also hope the 50 percent off ten or more still holds. I noticed the graphic in the vudu2go changed so I have my doubts.
Also, will this even work on iOS?
You can't buy or rent movies on the iOS app, so it wouldn't make sense to allow these transactions either.
The article says it's coming to ios.

I've been too lazy/busy to sit down and put discs in my drive, so this could help alleviate that headache since I have all the cases handy. I really want to take advantage of the 50% off deal.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I also hope the 50 percent off ten or more still holds. I noticed the graphic in the vudu2go changed so I have my doubts.

The article says it's coming to ios.

Yeah, they picture it in the Vudu graphic.
I'm just very surprised.

EDIT: Oh, it's already enabled in the app so it just went live.
It does work in iOS it seems, crazy.

1st movie is 100% free.
That's going to be exploited too with lots of dummy Vudu and UV accounts.

louiedog

I just tried and my android device is not eligible for disc to digital. I assume because they did a root check and don't want people exploiting GPS, though I'm pretty sure you don't need root to do that.

edit: hehe... oops. my google assistant reminder turned into "remind me to use <girlfriend's name>'s phone for voodoo at 7 PM" and sounds very sinister.

Krakatoa

I just did two on my IOS device (iPhone 7 plus) Both worked. First one was free as well.

Now, its time to add the rest.

Since Wal-mart doesn't do in-store conversions anymore that must mean all movies post 2012 must now be eligible in home unlike VUDUtoGo

But it looks like that app sucks right now, not too many success rates

I guess it was a bad idea to throw away all my dvd boxes then! I did it to save space back in the day. And my desktop mac has no dvd drive. Fuck me.

Yeah, they picture it in the Vudu graphic.
I'm just very surprised.

EDIT: Oh, it's already enabled in the app so it just went live.
It does work in iOS it seems, crazy.

1st movie is 100% free.
That's going to be exploited too with lots of dummy Vudu and UV accounts.
Did the new graphic have the deal listed? I missed that if so.

Re the free movie. It's limited time and Walmart has said less than 3 percent of people redeem their digital codes. The number of people trying this and getting into the system far outweighs the loss.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom