• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GSC is closed, STALKER 2 cancelled [Up5: GSC: Wait for Up6 in mid-January]

Dennis

Banned
Metro is no substitute at all.

It is not open-world.

The only hope now is that the Metro devs will feel that the way is open for them to make a STALKER-like successor.

DangerStepp

While this might be exaggeration, STALKER really was everything that was great about old school PC gaming. Near unmatched atmosphere, no handholding, great gunplay, open world...all of this made the abundance of jank kind of charming.

Gonna have to play some CoP tonight :(
Precisely.

Thank goodness I still haven't played through CoP. I'm going to savor the hell out of it.

Kinan

Well, off to play CoP finally as a tribute.

You know, if it's so currupt over there, just take the IP and give it to someone else outside the country.

Thats probably the Grigorovich's plan.

his 10-years old mobile number now says "this number does not exist", when people are trying to call...

Binabik15

There's a lot of corruption in some Eastern European countries, so some branch of Ukraine's law enforcement wants to make cash off of their work and has the authority and/or power to take them over and get it.

Or someone didn't really pay taxes and is now lying. You never know when $$$ is involved. Or forgot to pay bribes, err, donate for the local police charity.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Metro is no substitute at all.

It is not open-world.
It's guns also feel nowhere near as good. God those first couple hours on my release copy of Stalker getting my ass handed to me because I had only a solid pistol and a mediocre shotgun + SMG was magical.

Deadbeat

Banned
Last Light is looking gooood.

I know it doesn't scratch the same open world itch but the one silver lining is the fact we still have Metro, I guess. 2033 wasn't as good as the STALKER games but it was still brilliant.
The downside is during Metro 2033 development THQ wanted Metro to be more "streamlined". So they might get their way in 2034 so its probably fucked as well.

edit: someone change the thread title to say corruption or something.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
GOD FUCKING DAMNIT. I don't want to live on this planet any more. Someone in there should just leak the source code and let the fans develop the rest.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Metro was pretty damn streamlined as it was. :\ You just follow the path and shoot dudes.
I liked it better than HL2 as far as linear FPS go though. More convincing atmosphere despite the crappy face models and animations and general jank.

I really have high hopes for Last Light.

SoilBreak

Banned
KaRmJ.jpg

Too bad, but in all honesty the Stalker that we knew was already dead when they decided to make console versions. I wouldn't be surprised if the comment about not liking the direction the game was going in was in relation to that.

I liked it better than HL2 as far as linear FPS go though. More convincing atmosphere despite the crappy face models and animations etc general jank.
I wouldn't compare it to HL2 but the atmosphere was incredible. They definitely successfully carried that over from the STALKER games.

Looked ridiculously good maxed on PC, as well. Still one of the best looking games there is.

MDSLKTR

FUCK. And I finished COP yesterday which was the best single-player experience I had in a fps sice hl2 :( FUCK FUCK FUCK

MacBosse

Damn, I loved the first Stalker back in the day, one of the last PC games I bought (before migrating to consoles ...).

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
What's the best game to play with nothing but mainly graphical mods and fixes/conveniences here and there anyway? I never before got too far in any of them.

Scipius

Mixed feelings about this if it's true. On the one hand STALKER is without a doubt the best FPS released since Half-Life 2, warts and all; one of the few examples of the direction FPS games should be following. In that sense, there should be a good chance someone else will eventually pick up the franchise.

On the other hand the multiplatform focus, the apparent retreading of the storyline and the possible overextension of the concept (with a TV series planned) had me worried. STALKER obviously should stay PC-exclusive to remain true to its core values and from what we heard of STALKER2 it sounded more like a simplified remake of the first game, rather than something new.

Perhaps a (forced) pause really is best for STALKER; I would be more interested in a complete reimagining with better tech in 5 years time (PC-exclusive) than a rushed consolified remake next year. I wonder in what sense Grigorovich was disappointed with the development.

My experience with STALKER 1 was such a fucking buggy nightmare that I'm having a hard time feeling sorry in light of this news.

However, I did give them another chance with Call of Pripyat on a Steam sale, and it seemed like they had learned how to make a PC game run more than 5 minutes without crashing. I probably would've given STALKER 2 a shot. Oh well.

Sophia

I could never really get into the Stalker series like some of you could, but damn if this isn't depressing. :\

My experience with STALKER 1 was such a fucking buggy nightmare that I'm having a hard time feeling sorry in light of this news.

However, I did give them another chance with Call of Pripyat on a Steam sale, and it seemed like they had learned how to make a PC game run more than 5 minutes without crashing. I probably would've given STALKER 2 a shot. Oh well.

Yeah, that was kinda my initial impression reading this news too.

industrian

will gently cradle you as time slowly ticks away.
I don't know much about the Stalker series. I got a code with a processor or a video card for Stalker: Call of Pripyat. Spent all of 15 minutes on it before I closed it and uninstalled. That game was just baaad. Are the other Stalker games better?

It's not a bad game at all. You're just too used to games holding your hand. The start of Call of Pripyat was "here's a gun, here's a map, fuck you!" and yeah, it showed. Shadow of Chernobyl at least had the Cordon where you could get a feel for the game before fighting harder enemies, and I'm guessing the lack of THQ's influence made that unnecessary for the sequels.

Note: I got my ass handed to me by a Bloodsucker within 10 mins of starting CoP and haven't went back. Replaying SoC is a hell of a drug.

industrian

Mixed feelings about this if it's true. On the one hand STALKER is without a doubt the best FPS released since Half-Life 2, warts and all; one of the few examples of the direction FPS games should be following. In that sense, there should be a good chance someone else will eventually pick up the franchise.

On the other hand the multiplatform focus, the apparent retreading of the storyline and the possible overextension of the concept (with a TV series planned) had me worried. STALKER obviously should stay PC-exclusive to remain true to its core values and from what we heard of STALKER2 it sounded more like a simplified remake of the first game, rather than something new.

Perhaps a (forced) pause really is best for STALKER; I would be more interested in a complete reimagining with better tech in 5 years time (PC-exclusive) than a rushed consolified remake next year. I wonder in what sense Grigorovich was disappointed with the development.

Co-op focused cover-based shooter. Two gun limit. Nolan North and Michael Cera doing Russian accents.

Zomba13

There's a lot of corruption in some Eastern European countries, so some branch of Ukraine's law enforcement wants to make cash off of their work and has the authority and/or power to take them over and get it.

o.o The fuck?

That's insane.

Sophia

It's not a bad game at all. You're just too used to games holding your hand.

I don't think that's it at all, and it certainly wasn't my experience with Stalker, but I'll stop there because I don't want to turn this into a Stalker vs Anti-Stalker thread.

pa22word

God damnit. I've purchased SoC 5 different time for various people just to support these guys and gain exposure for these guys, so this is incredibly painful to digest...

/kenshirotears.jpg (can't find an acceptable image on google >_<)

I don't think that's it at all, and it certainly wasn't my experience with Stalker, but I'll stop there because I don't want to turn this into a Stalker vs Anti-Stalker thread.

Call of Pripyat is the best and most accessible of the STALKER games, IMO. These games deserve way more than 15 minutes. Honestly, if you only played 15 minutes, you didn't play any of the game--it requires some time to get fully involved in the dynamic monster/faction combat, the weapons and upgrade system, the loot hunting/finding, learning how to navigate via PDA, and the side missions from NPC's that will take hours upon hours to complete, in addition to the main storyline.

I highly recommend you go back and give it a try. If anything, Google Call of Pripyat Complete, a mod that makes the game look great and overall gives it another level of polish.

Sophia

Call of Pripyat is the best and most accessible of the STALKER games, IMO. These games deserve way more than 15 minutes. Honestly, if you only played 15 minutes, you didn't play any of the game--it requires some time to get fully involved in the dynamic monster/faction combat, the weapons and upgrade system, the loot hunting/finding, learning how to navigate via PDA, and the side missions from NPC's that will take hours upon hours to complete, in addition to the main storyline.

I highly recommend you go back and give it a try. If anything, Google Call of Pripyat Complete, a mod that makes the game look great and overall gives it another level of polish.

I will agree with you there. Personally, I found Call of Pripyat to be a significantly better and enjoyable game than Shadows of Chernobyl, which is almost unplayable without mods.

It's definitely true. STALKER took time for me to get in to, but then it clicks, just like Demon's/Dark Souls. CoP is more accessible (and in my opinion the best) but all three of the games are pretty relentless in the way they make you explore, figure stuff out, punish you etc.

It's part of the charm.

industrian

I've been replaying SoC with Complete. It's night and day over my initial playthrough back in 2007.

I hope the new Complete mod is still on track for next year.

Top Bottom