• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SEGA Vintage Collection: Monster World coming to XBLA!

Tomasooie

I love how they have the creepy-ass Master System boxart for Monster Land in the background there (top left).

screenlg12.jpg

g.r.e.

FUCK YES.
I'd kill for a 3ds release, but I will be fine with the 360 version too. :)
Now available for download on Xbox LIVE, the Monster World saga features all new achievements, challenging new trial modes, Xbox LIVE Leaderboards, and recordable and downloadable game sessions!
Does it mean I can give sega my money right now, or what?

CamHostage

Wow, not only is this an unexpected release of a game series that SEGA usually wouldn't care about, but it's a proper package instead of a weak single release sent to die.

Between this and JGR HD (plus throw in Sonic CD and Sonic 4 Ep 2, even House of the Dead III) it's almost as if SEGA has had a revelation in how to put its games out in the digital market.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Wow, not only is this an unexpected release of a game series that SEGA usually wouldn't care about, but it's a proper package instead of a weak single release sent to die.

Between this and JGR HD (plus throw in Sonic CD and Sonic 4 Ep 2, even House of the Dead III) it's almost as if SEGA has had a revelation in how to put its games out in the digital market.

- JGR HD
- Potential Skies of Arcadia and Shenmue HD
- House of the Dead 4
- Monster World Collection

Sega sure knows how to service their long time fans. Good Job Sega.

Monster World was one of my favourite games growing, though never managed to finish off the last boss, haven't played it in around 10 years or so. Will have to pick this up.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Is Sega the biggest Japanese company in the downloadable space? Capcom's got some stuff, but it seems like Sega's really beginning to push into the downloads

Is Sega the biggest Japanese company in the downloadable space? Capcom's got some stuff, but it seems like Sega's really beginning to push into the downloads

They certainly seem to have the biggest presence. I'm going to assume that SoA has a lot to do with Sega's push into DD.

Looks awesome. When Sega announced a year or two ago that they were going to start focusing more on downloadable games, they weren't kidding around.

FINALLY. Well, sort of.

I was starting to get cold chills that this was dropped completely. How odd to see the XBLA pop up first given that it wasn't part of the May 2011 press release (even though it was ESRB rated for 360). And M2? Not Backbone? There couldn't be much more awesome news. I'm still going to get the Virtual Console version as my primary version but I'll gladly triple dip for achievements and leaderboards now that Backbone isn't involved. Well, I probably would have anyway, but now it's not a struggle.

April 25th, eh? Yeah, I'm fine with that, my next month is pretty crowded, even if these are shorter games. I would assume the VC version would be the Thursday before or after that.

Also, I wonder what led them to completely leave a game off the collection (at least in terms of the XBLA release)? Maybe they are planning a separate Wonder Boy Collection with Wonder Boy and Monster Lair that they can stick Dragon's Trap onto?

Since it's before the mandatory switch, hopefully they are using the 30/400 achievement option.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
I know nothing of Monster World or Monster World IV. I don't even know what Dragons Trap is but I poured so much money into Monster Land in the arcades. So so bought. I would die a happy man if it was on PSN and Vita compatible but chances of that will be pretty slim. Will be happy with XBLA version though.

I know nothing of Monster World or Monster World IV. I don't even know what Dragons Trap is but I poured so much money into Monster Land in the arcades. So so bought. I would die a happy man if it was on PSN and Vita compatible but chances of that will be pretty slim. Will be happy with XBLA version though.
Basically:

Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Monster World I)
Wonder Boy III: Dragon's Trap (Monster World II)
Wonder Boy in Wonder World (Monster World III)

And then Monster World IV is just that.

@MUWANdo

Banned

Sega America was heavily restructured a couple years back and it's basically Sega's digital/legacy arm now, which is probably why they're so proactive in this space.

Dragons' Trap is a direct sequel to Monster Land - it even features a lil' playable prologue set at the end of Monster Land, which years later would be ripped off by Castlevania in SOTN. It's more of a metroidvania than a linear platformer; every time you defeat a boss you're able to transform into a new creature with new abilities which allows you to access more of the world.

Monster World is in the same vein - transformations are mostly gone, but you can find items/equipment that let you access new areas. Lots of references to both Monster Land and Dragons' Trap.

Monster World IV is quite different - for one, you play as a girl rather than a boy, and the setting is Arabian for no particular reason. It's also more linear than the last couple games, with basically no exploration aspects and a bigger focus on action.

FINALLY. Well, sort of.

I was starting to get cold chills that this was dropped completely. How odd to see the XBLA pop up first given that it wasn't part of the May 2011 press release (even though it was ESRB rated for 360). And M2? Not Backbone? There couldn't be much more awesome news. I'm still going to get the Virtual Console version as my primary version but I'll gladly triple dip for achievements and leaderboards now that Backbone isn't involved. Well, I probably would have anyway, but now it's not a struggle.

April 25th, eh? Yeah, I'm fine with that, my next month is pretty crowded, even if these are shorter games. I would assume the VC version would be the Thursday before or after that.

Also, I wonder what led them to completely leave a game off the collection (at least in terms of the XBLA release)? Maybe they are planning a separate Wonder Boy Collection with Wonder Boy and Monster Lair that they can stick Dragon's Trap onto?

Since it's before the mandatory switch, hopefully they are using the 30/400 achievement option.

Where are you getting April 25th from?

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Sega America was heavily restructured a couple years back and it's basically Sega's digital/legacy arm now, which is probably why they're so proactive in this space.

Dragons' Trap is a direct sequel to Monster Land - it even features a lil' playable prologue set at the end of Monster Land, which years later would be ripped off by Castlevania in SOTN. It's more of a metroidvania than a linear platformer; every time you defeat a boss you're able to transform into a new creature with new abilities which allows you to access more of the world.

Monster World is in the same vein - transformations are mostly gone, but you can find items/equipment that let you access new areas. Lots of references to both Monster Land and Dragons' Trap.

Monster World IV is quite different - for one, you play as a girl rather than a boy, and the setting is Arabian for no particular reason. It's also more linear than the last couple games, with basically no exploration aspects and a bigger focus on action.

Thanks for that, they all sound great and now I can see why so many are yearning for Dragons Trap.

Slermy

I have the Sega Ages import for the PS2, but I will gladly double dip.

Can I swap out the Genesis/Mega Drive with original controller to be a model 2 with a six button controller instead? That would be ace.

@MUWANdo

Banned
It's worth pointing out that most of the Wonder Boy series (with the exception of Monster World IV, but I presume it's still coming) are available on the Wii VC right now:

-The SMS version of the original Wonder Boy is up for 500 Points; you can also get Adventure Island NES for the same price. (The first Adventure Island is just Wonder Boy with a different IP; Hudson would eventually spin Adventure Island into its own series with a ton of sequels all unrelated to Wonder Boy/Westone.)

-The SMS version of Wonder Boy in Monster Land is up for 500 Points; it features additional levels/bosses and a much, much better HUD than the arcade version, but has downgraded graphics and is missing a few tunes. I personally prefer it to the arcade version but they're both good. (M2 also added an option to the VC version that lets you toggle the FM synth music, which is really cool of them.)

-There are two versions of Dragons' Trap available - the original SMS version (500 Points) and the TG16 port called Dragon's Curse (600 Points). They're identical in terms of content, but there are a few little differences; the TG16 has a bigger resolution, and some of the sprites have been redrawn for no particular reason. (It also features a different and very 90's translation full of MONDO BOGUS slang.) The most important difference is that the TG16 version features a proper save system whereas the SMS version only has a password system - for that reason alone you should get the TG16 version.

-Monster Lair sucks, who cares.

-There are two versions of Monster World available - the original Wonder Boy in Monster World for Mega Drive (800 Points) and the TGCD port called Dynastic Hero (also 800 Points). Dynastic Hero features a few goofy little anime cutscenes and a new redbook soundtrack, and lots of the characters/bosses have been redrawn with an insect motif for some reason. I don't particularly like any of the changes they made for Dynastic Hero, so I'd recommend the original, but check 'em both out and make up your own mind.

-There are two versions of Dragons' Trap available - the original SMS version (500 Points) and the TG16 port called Dragon's Curse (600 Points). They're identical in terms of content, but there are a few little differences; the TG16 has a bigger resolution, and some of the sprites have been redrawn for no particular reason. (It also features a different and very 90's translation full of MONDO BOGUS slang.) The most important difference is that the TG16 version features a proper save system whereas the SMS version only has a password system - for that reason alone you should get the TG16 version.

With VC suspend states, I don't see how the lack of a proper save system would be an issue. Unless you die a lot I guess.

It's worth pointing out that most of the Wonder Boy series (with the exception of Monster World IV, but I presume it's still coming) are available on the Wii VC right now:
The superior arcade arcade version of Monster Land is not up there yet (at least in the US/EU). Nobody should be stuck with the SMS version of Monster Land. It's pretty crummy. Anyway, both it and Monster World IV in their new English translations are supposed to be released for Virtual Console. At least, that's what was said in the original May 2011 press release.

@MUWANdo

Banned
With VC suspend states, I don't see how the lack of a proper save system would be an issue. Unless you die a lot I guess.

You only need to forget to do a suspend state once (or for the power to go out, or something) for all your progress to be wiped. I mean, there's only 100 Points' difference, it's not a big deal.

Be still my mother fucking beating heart.

Day 1.

BUT... where the fuck is Wonderboy III: The Dragon's Trap!?!?!?!?!?!?!

This is pretty much exactly what I came here to post!

I love Dragons Trap. One of the very best games of the 8 bit era. But hey, this is pretty bloody exciting.

CPS2

I have the Japanese monster world collection, and iirc it let you switch between versions on the fly, so you could seriously downgrade your graphics at any time for no reason!

Dragon's Trap is the best one imo but i might get this for Monster Land.

It's probably Nintendo or Sega. Sony also arguably, but not if we're looking at actual Japanese content.

I have the Japanese monster world collection, and iirc it let you switch between versions on the fly, so you could seriously downgrade your graphics at any time for no reason!
There are several graphics options (including a 240p option yeauuuh) you can change on the fly, but you can't swap versions of games (ie: from Genesis to Master System).

Pooya

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/SVC-Alex-Kidd-Co/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258410b70

Alex Kidd & Co collection

Experience a blast from past with this collection of classic Sega titles! Save kingdoms, shatter time trials, and destroy evil in Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Super Hang-on, and The Revenge of Shinobi! Now available on Xbox LIVE, Alex Kidd & Company have been updated with all new achievements, challenging new trial modes, and other goodies like recordable and downloadable game sessions, 3D mode in Super Hang-on, in game juke boxes, and the original Japanese dialogue!

Top Bottom