• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT12| Hour of Devastation - Hour of Jace getting dunked on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supast4r

The reserved list keeps them from doing that.

Legendary is a supertype, so they can't just print legendary or snow duals without going against the reserved list policy.
This isn't entirely true. If it was legendary and didn't have the land type on it the cards wouldn't have much in commom.

Yeef

I misread "Legendary Dual Lands with no types" as "Legendary Dual Lands with land types."

I don't feel like EDH decks have much trouble with mana bases as it is. I don't see any reason to just do legendary dual lands that enter untapped. It's a fairly boring design for little (if any) gain.

Is there a website that most people agree has the best estimate of the market value of Magic singles? I've seen mtgstocks.com referenced multiple times; I'm curious if that's a widely held consensus or not.

I misread "Legendary Dual Lands with no types" as "Legendary Dual Lands with land types."

I don't feel like EDH decks have much trouble with mana bases as it is. I don't see any reason to just do legendary dual lands that enter untapped. It's a fairly boring design for little (if any) gain.

When I hear Legendary Duals, I assume it means land-typed. Even still, I don't believe you run afoul of the reserved list with this. Legendary on a land is way more of a "strictly worse" designation than it is on a creature. A "Legendary Palinchron" is far more of a functionally identical card than a "Legendary Bayou."

DrArchon

I'm excited about this card in the upcoming Commander deck.

content_commander-2017-ramos-dragon-engine.jpg
o

I'm eager to see what else the deck contains. I wonder if it will have the mana rocks that fit this creatures flavor: Eye of Ramos, Heart of Ramos, Horn of Ramos, Skull of Ramos, and Tooth of Ramos.

Yeah, Ramos looks awesome. Solves one of the biggest problems I have with most 5-color commanders, that being that getting all 5 colors consistently on turn 5 sucks. At least with Ramos you can fudge it and pay its cost however you want, even if you don't get the full benefits for not casting 5-color spells.

Also tons of ways to build a deck around it. Voltron? Sure! Pumps itself with every spell you cast. Janky Fist of the Suns deck? You bet! Remove 5 counters, get two spells. Ramp into Progenitus or Door to Nothingness? Yes please!

hermit7

What's the most competitive budget EDH deck? I'm thinking of making an Alesha deck.

Probably yisan or selvala. Mono green is fairly budget.

Main wincon is infinite mana via umbral mantle and beast within blowing up every bodies permanents using e wit and Temur sabertooth to bounce to regrow the beast within.

Or you can draw your deck with staff of domination and draw your deck.

Other than that there is the pump and swing with concordant crossroads line as well. Deck is pretty cheap (outside cradles) and runs maybe 500 or so. I think it is pretty good. Yisan is tool box, I know less about that deck but runs some similar type things.

Here is a decklist for selvala: http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/selvala-brostorm/

Update to my cycling list:

sdfsdf5euq2.png

I might cut the 4th Drake Haven for a 2nd Obstructionist in the main, but right now literally 50% of my deck is cards that trigger discard.

DrArchon

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";244349058]Update to my cycling list:

I might cut the 4th Drake Haven for a 2nd Obstructionist in the main, but right now literally 50% of my deck is cards that trigger discard.[/QUOTE]

What about Hollow One and Abandoned Sarcophagus? Hollow One might be a bit durdly with no combat abilities, but getting a "free" 4/4 for cycling 3 or more cards sounds alright to me. And with so many cycling cards, Abandoned Sarcophagus might as well be a pseudo-Yawgmoth's Will if you cast it late in the game when you have a full yard.

What about Hollow One and Abandoned Sarcophagus? Hollow One might be a bit durdly with no combat abilities, but getting a "free" 4/4 for cycling 3 or more cards sounds alright to me. And with so many cycling cards, Abandoned Sarcophagus might as well be a pseudo-Yawgmoth's Will if you cast it late in the game when you have a full yard.

The problem with Hollow One is that I mostly cycle at the opponent's end step, so I wouldn't be able to play it. The Sarcophagus is cool but a little slow and it's a nonbo with stuff like Lili's plus ability or if I cast illumination or my counters. Plus, I'm a little wary of playing artifacts when decks are playing abrade.

There's a version on cfb I saw that is all in combo with god pharoh's gift which might like both of the cards you mentioned, though.

DrArchon

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";244351773]The problem with Hollow One is that I mostly cycle at the opponent's end step, so I wouldn't be able to play it. The Sarcophagus is cool but a little slow and it's a nonbo with stuff like Lili's plus ability or if I cast illumination or my counters. Plus, I'm a little wary of playing artifacts when decks are playing abrade.

There's a version on cfb I saw that is all in combo with god pharoh's gift which might like both of the cards you mentioned, though.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Hollow One is probably too slow if you're focusing on EoT cycling. Drake Haven's way better for that.

I didn't see Lili in there, and yeah, Sarcophagus is a bit of a nonbo there. I just like the idea of the game going on for a while, dropping Sarcophagus and suddenly having 7-8 cards in your graveyard ready to be cast. Probably better as a sideboard trick for slower games when you're more sure they aren't running Abrade.

If I was doing anything with God-Pharaoh's Gift though, it'd be reanimating it early with Refurbish. Maybe a Mardu Gearhulks build, except instead of getting one gearhulk you get one every turn that's a bit smaller with haste.

God-Pharaoh's Gift reminds me a lot of Whip of Erebos, and that card was super important to Standard for its lifespan. I won't be surprised if this does something similar.

bigkrev

http://files.shareholder.com/downlo...asbro_Q2_2017_Earnings_Management_Remarks.pdf

In February, we projected that MAGIC: THE GATHERING would see
greater growth from releases in the second and fourth quarters. MAGIC
had a strong second quarter and the franchise was up in the first half.
Importantly, the digital future of MAGIC: THE GATHERING is progressing and we look forward to sharing more with you in August at our investor day

Investor day looks like it's August 3rd. Hope we get something substantial about Digital Next.

DrArchon

The Scarab God is just a gross card. You don't even need to build around it for it to be bonkers.

And how about that RDW deck at #3?

Turns out hasty beaters that prevent guys from blocking are pretty good aggressive cards. Who knew?

I love seeing the ones that have both Cartouche of Zeal and Trial of Zeal. I can't imagine anyone thinking that anyone would be playing one of the Trials in standard, much less doing a Trial + Cartouche combo.

Joba62x

Neo Member
I was watching MJ play that gifts deck this weekend and heard him telling Efro that they were sold out online, of Angel so I grabbed 6 shipped for $13 off of player, that looks like it worked out nicely.

Man, now that I stop and think about it, Champion of Wits does seem really powerful. I'm surprised it didn't spike earlier. One of those under the radar type of rares

Well yeah, it won't be making waves in aggro decks, but the speed bump plus double loot plus late game inevitability should make it an all star in any other archetype
not just aggro decks it's asking for a fairly particular environment to be an all star. There's a variety of part blue decks I'd be surprised to see it be played in.
Always Watching + Champion of Wits :p

I don't think that's a good idea, PS.
dece

Tunoku

Caved and ordered the cards I needed for Mardu Burn. I'm still not convinced if it's better than Naya, but I'm willing to give it a shot. List as of now:

4 Goblin Guide
4 Monastery Swiftspear
2 Grim Lavamancer

4 Lava Spike
4 Lightning Bolt
4 Shard Volley
4 Rift Bolt <cost={r};>
4 Bump in the Night
4 Boros Charm
3 Skullcrack
2 Burst Lightning
2 Searing Blaze

4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Wooded Foothills
2 Arid Mesa
2 Scalding Tarn
2 Sacred Foundry
2 Blood Crypt
1 Blackcleave Cliffs

2 Mountain

//Sideboard
SB: 1 Skullcrack
SB: 2 Smash to Smithereens
SB: 2 Searing Blood
SB: 2 Wear // Tear
SB: 2 Deflecting Palm
SB: 3 Rakdos Charm
SB: 2 Collective Brutality
SB: 1 Rest in Peace

The deck has had success lately and opts to cut Eidolon of the Great Revel for more cheap burn. This list has 32 one mana spells and 7 2 mana spells in the main deck. Compared to that, Naya Burn has 20 one mana spells and 20 two mana spells. That's a pretty significant curve difference.

y2dvd

Where's the best place to get a bunch of cheap singles? My lgs doesn't have what I'm looking for, so I'm thinking of purchasing via tcgplayer?

bigkrev

Where's the best place to get a bunch of cheap singles? My lgs doesn't have what I'm looking for, so I'm thinking of purchasing via tcgplayer?

TCG Player is fine for Standard cards. You should also go to the next GP/SCGOpen/big even in your area, dealers will come with HP/damaged cards that they wouldn't be willing to sell online, which will allow you to get great deals if condition isn't a factor. I got a HP Russian Sower of Temptation at an SCG Open 2 years ago for $5, and a heavily damaged (to the point where I asked 3 judges if it was a legal card, and only 1 said yes if it was double sleaved) Sword of Fire and Ice for $5.

For high-end cards (ie, dual lands, power), there are enough good fakes out there that I would only want to buy from a major vendor (ie, SCG, CFB, CK).

Tunoku

This set is a ton of fun to draft. It's not ridiculously complex but most of the games feel fair and everyone has the tools to beat the opposition. I managed to win through a turn 4 sifter wurm with the Desert Cerodon and Ahn-Crop Crasher on my side. I still groan every time I see a God.

Ashodin

ahahahahhaha

HAHAHAHAHAHAH

AHAHAHHAHA

FRAYING SANITY IS COMPLETE

I'm taking it to this week's FNM and Standard Showdown (was in Cali last week).

pJULjAC.gif

I finally got the last cards I needed in Cali so that was fun

Also I got sunburnt

Tunoku

I got completely bodied by Sanity last weekend playing UR control. They sided in Thing and Torrentials as well. It was rough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom