• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Manga News/Discussion |OTD| Oh, you're reading manga? How cute...

Robot x Laserbeam

That Bubba watson reference, Ive seen him many times on tv golf, nice inclusion.

BLack Clover
DFglZK6XUAAL7K_.jpg:small

Well US continues to be similar to JPN except for Grey, dont see how people like Yami more than Dorksta.

Painting recreation magic was incredible as was Master Rill's backstory.

Food Wars
DFgngWZXoAAM-55.jpg:small

I have bookmarked all the times where people have said Kuga will lose, I hope people are prepared to be proven extensively wrong when Tsukasa is soundly defeated by Kuga impressively. This was yet another stunning chapter, and all the Kuga faces. Best.

DFgnmiXXoAAAor4.jpg:small

Madoka - Magia Record Reports p35-37

Yeah, the PV increased my hype levels substantially, which is pretty impressive considering I won't (and probably can't) play the game. The transformations scenes were stellar, though I share Iroha's sentiments on her own scene and can't say I approve. Seems like it's being delayed again, which might be for the best considering what I've seen from other mobages that could've used more time in the oven.

Tenshi no Paraphilia (NSFW doujin)

We have hit peak yuri. Or bottom of the barrel yuri, depending on your preferences. It's a supernatural story about girls with lewd abilities battling other girls with lewd abilities, to emerge victorious in an annual lewd tournament. The amount of plot and 'plot' that was crammed into 40 pages almost defies belief, and the twist was more delicious than a double serving of eyeballs. Semi-related, but I'm now aware that 'oculolinctus' is a legitimate term to describe an eyeball licking fetish.

Viz Shonen Jump 7/24/17

My Hero Academia

Kind of an awkward chapter though it did give a decent info dump. I assume something will happen to prevent red riot from fighting Rappa until later on. League of villains degraded to minion status as they deserve cause they suck.

One Piece

I assume Sanji will offer to cook big mom a wedding cake at the sunny and that'll calm her down long enough for them to escape.

Robot x Laserbeam

I have a hard time telling the characters apart, it makes the drama even more underwhelming.

Black Clover

English poll results are much better then the Japanese poll results, though overall I'm impressed that both polls more or less got it right. The shot of rebecca kissing asta was thrown in as an obvious ode to WMR :p

Chapter itself introduced yet another weird quirky guy with destructive powers. I'd be more interested in this if the arc had been something other then introduce super quirky guy with op power.

Food Wars

They've done a good job of making me think that this won't be a sweep for central so in that way its better then the first round. I'm still betting money on this being a central sweep and I'll eat crow if it doesn't happen.

Hunter x Hunter

Rewatching the Yorknew arc on toonami while reading this section has reminded me how awesome Kurapika is and how the worst part of the greed island and chimera ant arcs were the fact he and Leorio weren't around.

The Promised Neverland

Guilda with that yandere stare and verbal beat down of Emma was awesome. I also like that the series confirmed we still don't have the full story. Going to guess the censored name is the king of the demons who the farm was supposed to give Ray/Emma to.

We Never Learn

Guess it's time to slowly drag Fumino back into the harem *sigh*

Dr Stone

Kind of amusing that Senku despite being an outside has been given quiet a bit of time to work on his science stuff with Crome and Kohaku. I kept waiting for the confrontation with Kohaku's father that didn't come this week.

One Punch Man

These chunk of chapters are when OPM really shows why it's inheriently a terrible series. All these awesome s ranked heroes and all these insane monsters and it all means nothing since it's just the worst kind of stall fest for Saitama to show up and "ROFL HE WON IT ONE PUNCH" a joke that got old 5 chapters in. "But bass other shonen series stall for time till the hero shows up" yes that is true, but often support characters we care about die or help to weed out the minions or gain valuable information that helps the hero win. Saitama will show up, everyone will tell him to "get out of there", wins with one punch, "oh well I guess we weakend them enough". Zzzzzzzzz

Yu gi oh arc v

They're gonna suck the adam out of Renji? How lewd

One Punch Man

These chunk of chapters are when OPM really shows why it's inheriently a terrible series. All these awesome s ranked heroes and all these insane monsters and it all means nothing since it's just the worst kind of stall fest for Saitama to show up and "ROFL HE WON IT ONE PUNCH" a joke that got old 5 chapters in. "But bass other shonen series stall for time till the hero shows up" yes that is true, but often support characters we care about die or help to weed out the minions or gain valuable information that helps the hero win. Saitama will show up, everyone will tell him to "get out of there", wins with one punch, "oh well I guess we weakend them enough". Zzzzzzzzz

I've not fundamentally disagreed with someone on something so much in quite a while.

What chapter is it you just read? Sea king?

Promised Neverland

More could have been done this chapter, like they didnt need to remind us like 4 times that they need to go to Bo-62 or whatever, though I guess with how high level the manga is, less high level readers need to be reminded of what the goal is? Or perhaps the writer is treating it like a game where villager b's remind us of where we need to go next on our quest. Wanted more.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Tsuredure Children

Goddamn Motoyama is a God-tier wingman.

Rapper x Rapper Girl is my favorite, though.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
One Punch Man

What you complain doesn't happen in the series is basically all that has happened for like the last... 9 months now. Saitama is barely in the series right now and its basically been the S Class heroes doing their thing against the monsters.

What you complain doesn't happen in the series is basically all that has happened for like the last... 9 months now. Saitama is barely in the series right now and its basically been the S Class heroes doing their thing against the monsters.

So the only good thing the series had (saitama coming in to one punch things) hasn't been around. I don't give a shit about any of the s class heroes or the villains because there is no drama or interest in any of these characters.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
No you don't. Usagi Drop after the time skip is one of the weirdest shit I read in a series.

Like... why. Just way.

It's just a slice of life shoujoy-ish manga quite boring really usual drama. Only difference being it has the father figure being the object of affection which also isn't that rare in these sorts of manga's

HStallion

So the only good thing the series had (saitama coming in to one punch things) hasn't been around. I don't give a shit about any of the s class heroes or the villains because there is no drama or interest in any of these characters.

Yeah and your argument has little merit as Saitama didn't do shit except fuck around in the martial arts tournament. The S Class and MA were duking it out the entire time with nothing from Saitama whatsoever. Even Genos got to do his thing without Saitama stepping in.

Yeah and your argument has little merit as Saitama didn't do shit except fuck around in the martial arts tournament. The S Class and MA were duking it out the entire time with nothing from Saitama whatsoever. Even Genos got to do his thing without Saitama stepping in.

One Punch Man could be good if

1) it didn't try and genre shift from a gag series to a serious shonen since the writer isn't any good at real shonen stuff

2) have good jokes that aren't over used

3) make characters that are compelling besides saitama and genos, everyone else is a wet blanket

HStallion

1) it didn't try and genre shift from a gag series to a serious shonen since the writer isn't any good at real shonen stuff

3) make characters that are compelling besides saitama and genos, everyone else is a wet blanket

So now you move goal posts. Just say you don't like it and move on.

Zweizer

Banned
Yuki to Sumi ch1 by Onio

Yukino is a young calligraphy prodigy, who is renowned for the beauty of her writing. In class, she's also a model student, oozing elegance and intelligence. In short, she's the school idol, and attracts quite a bit of attention, which our protagonist is seemingly immune to (because he's already pining for his childhood friend).

Except Yukino is actually terrible at anything that isn't calligraphy, and isn't the model of elegance common folks believe her to be. What misfortune awaits what's-his-faceour protagonist?

Maou no Hisho ch6

Secretary is quite efficient at manipulating everyone under her thumb. I'd say she already has completely taken over the castle and its army.

So now you move goal posts. Just say you don't like it and move on.

Fair enough

One Punch Man is trash and I don't get why people like it, the gag parts aren't funny, the action parts aren't exciting. I'd rather reread all of Fairy Tail over OPM.

but King is the best character you monster

King was clever as a one off joke, that fact he continues to show up kills his character for me.

but King is the best character you monster

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Domestic na Kanojo

Kei's MC's are the goddamn worst. I legit think the only reason her stuff is popular is because she's willing to put a lot of sex into it which most authors won't do.

Chase17

Shuudan 4 - 6
DFgZ9_GXsAQfYhF.jpg:small

Kamoshida was a great inclusion for character personalities, and clearly has room to grow and improve. He just wants attention to and to be loved by his schoolmates and have some friends. Though I dont think he's as bad as people in the manga say as he didnt actually touch and grab Nanase to help her up (so I think they have the wrong idea if they do think he did cause her to trip and fall).

Otherwise, heres hoping NIshimisono loses (also was surprised the rest of the team seems like nice guys while Kamoshida is the one giving them a bad reputation).
I liked Sochi's realization that he was almost like Kamoshida. Hopefully the match ends with Kamoshida helping Nanase up or acknowledging her in some way, presumably without it being a full turn.

Taruranto

Banana Fish volume 6

Yeah, this was kinda cheesy. Ash frees himself and everyone goes "Holy shit Ash is free? BETTER RUN." OK, I'm exaggerating, but he basically turns into an immortal one-man army. Before this chapter I would have called the series fairly grounded.

I still like it, but geez.

Angry Grimace

Tsurezure Children (current)

This sad sack forgot what manga he was in.

cWHzbxR.png

Angry Grimace

Also, I did a legit spit take when I realized he said this out loud

G75aNaG.png

Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea 0.5-1
Huh, there's a Wadanohara manga. And it even had an official English release on pixiv, though by looks of things it didn't keep up with the Japanese one for long. Briefly it's an RPG Maker game about a sea witch, her aquatic companions and some pretty twisted underwater warring shenanigans. It had a lot of potential in its setting and character designs, but the unappealing lead romance and broken combat kinda sullied my enjoyment. I'm assuming this is going to be the game in manga form, which is fine since I don't mind revisiting the story, especially with Mogeko's charmingly distinctive art.

mid-post edit: uh, alright so apparently Seven Seas actually licensed this and a complete edition was released earlier this month. It's rated ages 10+ so there's no way in hell it includes all the game's content.

mid-post edit 2: wait, there's a continuation on pixiv that starts delving into the nightmare fuel. Since Seven Seas' release is called "the complete collection" I'm assuming they didn't want to touch the darker elements or something and only got the first parts. Meh.

we never learn 23

lol, the dad was actually pretty funny in this chapter.

Yurucamp 6.5

I like how this is based on actual locations, and how accurate everything is.
Also, not having to carry a lot of stuff camping is the best part about short trips.

Angry Grimace

Fair enough

One Punch Man is trash and I don't get why people like it, the gag parts aren't funny, the action parts aren't exciting. I'd rather reread all of Fairy Tail over OPM.

King was clever as a one off joke, that fact he continues to show up kills his character for me.
Brutal.

upandaway

Dungeon Meshi 34

Marcille got petrified so they used her as a pickle press. So good. I love this manga.

God Kaguya is so good. I need an anime or I'm gonna reread it. I'll probably end up buying the Viz release and rereading it anyway
Yeah it's great. The format also makes it really nice to read in a slower pace. Honestly I think an anime by the Gintama team will be perfect since the manga's concept is so similar to the nabe pot episodes.

Isekai Onsen ni Tensei shita Ore no Kounou ga Tondemosugiru ch 1

I guy dies, and gets reincarnated in another magical world.

As a Hot Spring.

No, not hotspring owner, and actual hot spring itself. Which levels up as more people use it.

LeleSocho

Banned
If he doesn't like the series why would he read the source material

Because it's better than Murata's stuff, it retains a lot of the comedy stuff and Saitama is shown more in general.

Murata is good to see filler fights and if you don't like the original's artstyle but ONE is where the real deal is.

Angry Grimace

Because it's better than Murata's stuff, it retains a lot of the comedy stuff and Saitama is shown more in general.

Murata is good to see filler fights and if you don't like the original's artstyle but ONE is where the real deal is.

He doesn't like the series. Recommending him the same series he just said he doesn't like makes no sense. It's like telling someone who thinks Game of Thrones sucks that they should read A Song of Ice and FIre.

Taruranto

Watamote 118

Honestly I'm having hard time remembering/distinguishing Tomoko's... friends at this point, except the most obvious ones like Delinquent Girl.

LeleSocho

Banned
He doesn't like the series. Recommending him the same series he just said he doesn't like makes no sense. It's like telling someone who thinks Game of Thrones sucks that they should read A Song of Ice and FIre.

ONE version addresses some of the points he doesn't like that's why i suggested it.

Angry Grimace

Tsuredure Children

Oh, I apparently skipped a bunch.

Things I like: the nerdy wingman-bro guy actually got a cute girl just like his loser friend.

Things I don't like: every single girl looks the same with a different haircut so it literally wouldn't matter what the girl looked like, of course she's cute.

That really depends on why somebody doesn't like it, honestly. The other version might not have those obstacles.

HStallion

ONE version addresses some of the points he doesn't like that's why i suggested it.

I mean so does the Murata manga. For like the last half a year and more the entire manga has been mostly S Class heroes struggling to contain the Monster Association invasion without any interference from Saitama what-so-ever. Saitama barely shows up at all and when he did it was for short bouts in the tournament itself, not to save the day until very recently. Some people are just never satisfied.

I'd have a hard time reading One's version because the art is so bad. In generally I don't find the humor of the murata version or the anime to be very funny the series is mostly carried by the rare moments murata shows off his art style with the gif chapters which it's been a long time since he did one.

I am morbidly curious on how Fairy Tail is better than OPM according to BassForever.

Fairy Tail throws a vomit of attractive women in tons of fan service shots. I can open to any random chapter of fairy tail and there is a good chance Erza will strip into something skimpy for combat or Lucy will lose her clothing. Outside of that one pin up of tornado's sister in a wet tshirt done by Murata (LAAAWD) OPM rarely indulges that itch.

I mean so does the Murata manga. For like the last half a year and more the entire manga has been mostly S Class heroes struggling to contain the Monster Association invasion without any interference from Saitama what-so-ever. Saitama barely shows up at all and when he did it was for short bouts in the tournament itself, not to save the day until very recently. Some people are just never satisfied.

The drama of the s class heroes vs the monster association isn't interesting because in the world of opm saitama is somewhere. He's so comically over powered he kills any potential for drama the scenes can have. When he finally does show up he's as bored and indifferent to everything as I am, nor does the series do anything funny with him when he does win with one punch.

I don't read a gag manga to have some kind of serious story line with characters I don't give a shit about.

Chase17

MHA 146
I'm stilly a little salty about the placement of the flashback messing up the momentum of that punch.

Turns out Rappa is (kind of) a cool guy! Also neat to see that Chisaki can't put back together the people he kills.

The Fat/Kirishima stretch was really good. If the climax (which I'm not sure how close we are to) of the this arc is as good as everything else has been I think this will end up my favorite arc of the series. Nice since I wasn't too into the license arc outside that last fight.

Could have done without Toga and Twice (or whatever his name is). They are lame!

One Piece 873
Hmm, I prefer Big Mom when she is not in hunger tirade mode. I'm not too interested in the straight up monster. Expecting that we will have a Sanji/Pudding baking session so that should be fun. Time for Pekoms to start getting some wins!

Robot x Laserbeam 18
Refrencing real golf players, like when Shaq is mentioned in Kuroko but the talent level is far beyond anything in real life is always fun.

I think this chapter spliced together the Rion/Karasuma scenes too closely together. Nice to see them get some time though. I don't know who the club spinning at the end of the chapter works but it was cool!

Black Clover 118
Same/the right top 3 for Japan and Viz poll is nice to see. Surprised Finral couldn't make the Japan top ten though.

Solid chapter. Seems this tournament will be bigger in scope then I expected. But since all of these characters could be selected for the new group it's kind of good to introduce a lot now if they are going to be carried forward.

HxH 165
I'm digging this. Mind games and politics!

Promised Neverland 48
Since when do the other kids have personalities? More of this please!

We Never Learn 24
Uninteresting chapter. After last week I think I just want more scenes with the dad lol

Dr. Stone 20
The Chrome emotional over science/constantly outdone by Senku panels are holding up well. Senku's sinister side is pretty great. I have a hard time following along on some of the two page spreads. Senku's science skills/basics slippin!

No mention of Kimetsu no Yaiba here, so I guess that will indeed just be volumes (as expected).

HStallion

The drama of the s class heroes vs the monster association isn't interesting because in the world of opm saitama is somewhere. He's so comically over powered he kills any potential for drama the scenes can have. When he finally does show up he's as bored and indifferent to everything as I am, nor does the series do anything funny with him when he does win with one punch.

I don't read a gag manga to have some kind of serious story line with characters I don't give a shit about.

Your original complaint was totally off the mark and you might not like it but don't mischaracterize what's going on. Saitama didn't end the fight between Metal Bat and Garou or anyone else's fights and he didn't solve any of the issues or undercut what was going on.

Your original complaint was totally off the mark and you might not like it but don't mischaracterize what's going on. Saitama didn't end the fight between Metal Bat and Garou or anyone else's fights and he didn't solve any of the issues or undercut what was going on.

And my reaction to when he doesn't show up is "... what was the point of this?"

Yes my original complaint was hyperbolic, saitama doesn't always show up to save the day, but his presence is why I don't get invested in anyone else in the story.

HStallion

And my reaction to when he doesn't show up is "... what was the point of this?"

Yeah and that's on you. The manga does more than enough to sell these characters and the situations they're in. You just make the same tired complaint every time like a broken record despite it not being true for a while now.

Top Bottom