• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Beer |OT2| Can't stop won't stop the fresh hop

Just got home from a homebrew club meeting where we had a brew off between 2 pairs of brewers tasked with brewing a "Smoked Beer" with home smoked malt. Both groups ended up making a Piwo Grodziskie, one with 50% beech wood smoked wheat and one with 100% peach smoked wheat. Both were delicious and I wish it were more feasible for small local breweries to to get super fresh smoked malt. #Makesmokedbeerdeliciousagain

Link

The Autumn Wind
Damn, I've really neglected this thread. I'm SaintFlorian on Untappd for anyone who'd like to add me. I'll get around to adding the people who have posted their usernames.

Jackie O's is killing my wallet. I'd pass on 'em if they weren't so damn good.

36017181802_4872072f2a_z.jpg

Mitch

Banned
Went to North High Brewing in Columbus to check out their rotary canning line.

What a beauty of a line. 100-110 cans per minute. They typically finish off 700 cases in under 4 hours. We're getting a similar machine at the end of the month. Can't wait.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Seems like it's going to be a GABF year this year. Going with people who are veterans so hopefully it goes smoothly enough.

Having Against the Grain Something Special. I expected something more special for a $20 bomber. I mean, it's good. Not $20 good though. Pretty Willie's was much better.

Selling to an investment group is worse. Refusing to drink anchor because an actual brewery bought them from an investment group seems very ridiculous to me.

I made that comment in the Anchor thread and got crickets. Cigar City and Oskar Blues both sold to a private equity firm recently. Groups like that typically foster a business for a set period of time and then sell them off to the highest bidder.

My third attempt at an NEIPA came out nice. Each batch has been better than the last. Slowly building a little more body and hop depth. Making pure juice bombs is pretty easy, now I am trying to go for a bit more balance.

rN9ZxiKl.jpg

Local store has Against the Grain Pretty Willie's on the growler bar.
A 22oz bottle is $20 from the regular shelf. A 64oz growler is $23. Gee, lemme think which is a better deal...

Triz

Local store has Against the Grain Pretty Willie's on the growler bar.
A 22oz bottle is $20 from the regular shelf. A 64oz growler is $23. Gee, lemme think which is a better deal...

Store, with a tap to fill Growlers? Why the fuck don't I have these in California?

Some of their growler fills are in line with the can/bottle prices or just slightly better/worse. Some growler fills are horribly overpriced (On Fleek right now is $22 for a growler, or $11 for a four pack of cans). But sometimes the growler is a lot cheaper, as evident by Big Willie's. I bought a bottle the other week, but if I knew they would do growler's in a week or two I would have waited to try it.

Yaboosh

Super Sleuth
Would it.be OK if they sold to ABInBev or does the brewery they sell to not matter?

AB would be better than a venture capitalist group to me if i were a fan of the brewery itself and the folks there.

I'd certainly prefer neither. And if you didn't know that anchor was sold years ago that's fine. I just think drawing the line at a big brewery buying another brewery and not when a bunch of money suits do it is silly.

Mitch

Banned
Store, with a tap to fill Growlers? Why the fuck don't I have these in California?

Some of their growler fills are in line with the can/bottle prices or just slightly better/worse. Some growler fills are horribly overpriced (On Fleek right now is $22 for a growler, or $11 for a four pack of cans). But sometimes the growler is a lot cheaper, as evident by Big Willie's. I bought a bottle the other week, but if I knew they would do growler's in a week or two I would have waited to try it.

The two drug stores within a five minute walk of my house do growler fills.

California has stupid growler laws.
There's an idea floating around in my head for a growler shop that also doubles as a homebrew shop with a couple 10BBLs for in-house brewing. There would also be room for limited can/bottle sales. Plus weekly events.

I think it would do well in the CLE area, considering how many breweries the area has.

Stasis

Preface: I realize most of this will be pretty average to you guys. I'm just psyched because of where I am and how I can't ever get shit that's worth it. Goddamn I missed American IPAs. Please don't tell me how much better everything else is that I'll never be able to get. But do feel free to tell me what I CAN get in Vermont or upstate NY easily, or periodically. I'll get what I can and I'm always open to suggestions. We do runs periodically. Next will be mid to late September I think.

Today was a fun day for me as an IPA fan living in Quebec and missing US stuff.

The Alchemist - Heady Topper
Lawson's Finest Liquids - Sip of Sunshine
Frost Beer Works - Lush

and then some I've had and liked previously but are normal/common to most of you!

Dogfish Head - 90 Minute
Ballast Point - Grapefruit Sculpin
Ballast Point - Watermelon Dorado

Got some sours, Victory Kirsch Gose, Lost Nation Gose, Long Trail Cranberry Gose and one I forget. And some Dogfish Head Flesh & Blood IPA too. Had been wanting to try it.

I'm up late and I've had a few. Heady absolutely lives up to the hype for me. Sunshine is close. Haven't tried Lush or any of the sours. There's another I'm forgetting. I know I like the Victory. The others are new to me. Flesh & Blood was good and fun, but compared to the others... Keep in mind I'm in Quebec. This was a Vermont day trip. Quebec absolutely SUCKS at IPAs really. I've tried SO many hyped up wanna-be US styles. Be it NE, Pacific. Best I've had this year is LTM's double which was super limited and their first run I think. Nothing here comes close to what I can get in the US. Though it was amusing to see Dieu du Ciel's Solstice d'été at $5 a bottle being super popular. It's quite good (raspberry sour) I'll admit, and only runs 3 months a year. It's just everywhere here for cheap. Though I'd trade it for some decent IPAs in a heartbeat.

Also, three cheers to the Canadian customs lady who waived me through with 48 beers having been gone just one day. Usually we need to be gone 48 hours for a booze exemption of 24 beers per person.

Her: How long have you been in Vermont?
Me: About 6 hours.
Her: Bringing anything back?
Me: Some beer.
Her: Total value?
Me: Let me get the receipts.
Her: No its OK, how much in liters?
Me: Um... (calculating in my head)
Her: Or units?
Me: 48.
Her: Face changes. Pause. Looks at me. Looks at my gf. "for both of you?"
Me: Yep
Her: Ok, have a great evening. Hands back passports.

Thanks for saving us $80+ in duties and taxes! She totally wasn't expecting 48 as a reply, it was awesome.

Badgerst3

Jesus. The longer the Michigan Maple Jesus sits, the more pronounced the maple syrup flavor gets. Diabeetus!
That is and isn't a complaint.

Hmm. Good to know. Been aging one for about 8 months along with an annual Goose Island BA coffee stout. May crack it sooner than later.

Also was able to score a Fremont Rusty Nail here in So Cal. Was delicious. Found it similar to a Firestone Walker XX, maybe a bit sweeter. Also- Unicorn Tears, not such a fan. Too much cherry.

riotous

Banned
Had a successful beer day yesterday; went to 3 beer releases and got all the bottles I wanted plus had others I was interested in on tap.. then my wife and I managed to polish off 2 holy mountain sours and then 2 bombers of big BA barleywines (Bruery Smooth Criminal and the new Fremont Brew 2000) at home. Long 14 hours of drinking accomplished.

Surprisingly feel rested and refreshed this morning! lol

Spuck-uk

Banned
Anyone tried any of the Tired Hands milkshake series?

They're selling at a bar in my city here in Europe for serious £££, not sure if it's worth?

Preface: I realize most of this will be pretty average to you guys. I'm just psyched because of where I am and how I can't ever get shit that's worth it. Goddamn I missed American IPAs. Please don't tell me how much better everything else is that I'll never be able to get. But do feel free to tell me what I CAN get in Vermont or upstate NY easily, or periodically. I'll get what I can and I'm always open to suggestions. We do runs periodically. Next will be mid to late September I think.

Today was a fun day for me as an IPA fan living in Quebec and missing US stuff.

At least you have good access to great Quebec IPAs! I thought Les Trois Mousquetaires and Vox Populi had great easy to obtain IPAs when I was up there last summer.

Robiin

Yo, glass experts!

What did I fuck up?

I just bought a new beer glass because my old ones have been a few times through the dishwasher.

I had one beer, perfect, the glass held the foam for a long while, as I drank there was a clear "curtain" (don't know the english word).

I rinsed it with hot water and a little bit of dish soap, rinsed again with cold water, dried it best I could and then poured another beer.

The glass couldn't hold the foam at all.

What did I do wrong? Did I not let it dry enough? Is the glass now fucked forever?

Hmm. Good to know. Been aging one for about 8 months along with an annual Goose Island BA coffee stout. May crack it sooner than later.

Also was able to score a Fremont Rusty Nail here in So Cal. Was delicious. Found it similar to a Firestone Walker XX, maybe a bit sweeter. Also- Unicorn Tears, not such a fan. Too much cherry.

Wow, is this year's Rusty Nail out already? I guess it is that time of year, isn't it?

Top Bottom