• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. Is this last gen?

nkarafo

So, i decided to dust off my Wii and replay some of my favorite games. The idea was to see how good (or bad) some of them have aged (graphically) because on this particular console i never replayed a single game more than once when they were new, so i almost forgot about how they look.

I was expecting some very bad results tbh. I mean, even when the Wii was brand new, it wasn't exactly a powerhouse. And for about a year now, i enjoy the best looking games on my new gaming PC. So with these standards, i was expecting those Wii games to look like a joke to me. Well, Silent Hill proved me very, very wrong.

I remember that this game impressed me when i played it. But somehow, it impressed me even more now, so much so that it made me want to do this thread. I will go as far as to say it is THE best looking game on the console, at least technically.

Just about everything about it is impressive. The geometry detail is so good that when you enter a building, it has everything you expect it to have inside, from every furniture to small details on tables, shelfs, etc, all in full 3D. The texture quality is amazing too, mostly because there is a huge quantity of them at any given scene. The quality is great too, they even use textured signs that you can clearly read by zooming in a bit, instead of pressing a button to read a text. Making the whole thing more immersive. The mirror effects are also some of the best i have seen, current gen games included. The lighting is also very good, with real time shadows, although i feel that the flashlight is unrealistically strong, casting shadows miles away.

The game also runs at 60fps! I didn't even remember that and i was surprised... although it drops to 30's/40's when you open your flashlight but still, it's damn impressive, especially considering how this game is one of the best looking on the console, when today people can't stop talking about visual sacrifices and how 60fps make games look like shit...

But i left the best part for last. Those damn snow particle effects! These are like the best i have seen so far. Even the most graphically revered games today can't come close to this. I mean, not only they animate like real snow. Not only you can see each individual particle settling on the floor before it fades away. But they even cast real time shadows when they pass in front of your flashlight (they also shine realistically)! I remember this effect being impressive for me then and it still drops my jaw today. Mostly because i still haven't seen a game with a similar thing and this is a freaking Wii game released in 2009!

Now i know i talked only about the graphics, but seriously, you have to see this guys. I wonder what Climax is doing now, i mean if they managed to create such thing on the Wii, what could they do on a PS4? I also wonder how this game will look on Dolphin... too bad i can't connect my Wiimote on the PC yet, damn...

Lime

I wish we had gotten the Cold Heart concept instead.

latest

nkarafo

I was just as impressed when I played it on the PSP.
Do you know about any differences, graphically? Because i doubt these effects could be pulled off on the PSP. Then again, i would think about the same thing for the Wii.

a harpy

I agree, this is probably the last SH game that I thought really did something special with the series. It definitely looks great for a Wii game and the attention to detail is impressive. It's also a fun little romp to play with someone that likes to watch games because it has a good amount of player agency throughout the entire game, it doesn't overstay its welcome, and the otherworld segments feel very thematically stressful on a first playthrough.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
I loved it up to the first waggle chase scene, which was so poorly designed and frustrating that it soured the whole experience so much I had no desire to continue.

cerulily

I disagree, the shadows are fucking weird. I mean, next time you're walking behind a character watch their giant shadow loom over the universe. SH2 had better shadows.

Also, Shattered Memories is written and acted TERRIBLY, but people seem to think it's good because there is a big twist. The structure and payoff of the story is AWFUL and it actively works AGAINST its own atmosphere.

gabagool

Banned
Shattered Memories is absolutely great. Planning on playing it again when I get the time.

Also, Shattered Memories is written and acted TERRIBLY, but people seem to think it's good because there is a big twist.
That's not why people think it's good. It's a contributing factor for sure, but definitely not the sole reason.

nkarafo

What i don't like is how it only has 1 save per profile. So you can't keep a save in a previous cool area to revisit, it always overwrites your save.

It's not a very long game though so i suppose it's alright.

Haunted

Hugely underrated game. Maybe the best in the franchise.

And while it had some grungy texture work and fairly obvious grain filters applied to hide these flaws, I think you're right. It aged fairly well. The dynamic lighting helps a ton.

Roldan

Silent Hill Origins has terrific graphics as well, considering it's a PSP game. It's not awesome in every regard, but it also got some really cool effects and dynamic shadows.

nkarafo

Ah, i got my first voice message. I forgot how you could hold the wiimote like a phone and hear the voice messages from the speaker.

This game breaks the 4th wall in such way that makes it so much more immersive.

Really, really underrated. Definitely the best in the series after the first 3.

I still need to play Shattered Memories, it looks good. I just finished up Homecoming again yesterday, there's alot more to that game than I first thought. There's those pacts each of the four founders of Shepard's Glen made with the old Silent Hill Gods. The Shepard bloodline being the Master of Arms, why Alex was so much older than the other sacrifices, how it was important who from the Shepard bloodline was drowned and by whom. I thought they threw Pyramid Head in there for no reason except for that movie that dropped around same time. I'm starting to think there was more to it tho.

Kevtones

Also, Shattered Memories is written and acted TERRIBLY, but people seem to think it's good because there is a big twist. The structure and payoff of the story is AWFUL and it actively works AGAINST its own atmosphere.

Please explain your hyperbole.

I remember watching the Game Grumps playing it. I'd played SHSM a few years prior, but my memory had fogged up since then. I was completely blown away at the detail in the game. The facial capture, fluid animations, and incredible performance caught me completely off-guard. Not to mention the game uses--and I'm not pulling you leg, I swear--dynamic lighting and shadows. It's not just a technical powerhouse, it's a really good game, too!

Don't go in expecting a terrifying experience, but rather more of a psychological thriller. Shattered Memories is just as much about the experience as it is the presentation, and it hits all the highs and very few of the lows. The voice acting is sloppy at times, but there's a good amount of mind-fuckery going on to really keep you guessing. A criminally underrated game.

Pizza

I though Downpour sucked. Hard.

I never found a save point outside the tutorial. I know I'm probably just awful, but I tried like eight damn times to beat the tutorial and explore the area finding a save point.

Edit: oops I got this confused with homecoming

IzzyF3

Shattered Memories was fantastic and very clever. I always thought the speaker on controllers are under utilized on the Wii, but SM really used it to bring about a creepy atmosphere. The game wasn't very scary, but it was a very worthy spinoff.

Downpour was also very good, but it played like crap. It was definitely the most niche Silent Hill, but it was worth playing for the well done story.

Shattered Memories is my favorite Silent Hill title, one of my favorite Wii games, and possibly one of my favorite games of all time. I wish the team behind it had another crack at the Silent Hill universe. :(

TheMoon

Do you know about any differences, graphically? Because i doubt these effects could be pulled off on the PSP. Then again, i would think about the same thing for the Wii.

The PS2 version looked significantly less good, I'd assume the same is true for the PSP version.

TheMoon

Whatre the main differences between each version?

Wii version = only version worth playing
other versions = worse visuals, no motion control (which is done exceptionally well, best motion flashlight, wiimote cellphone integration)

sphinx

the piano man
I have very nice memories of this game and often think about going back to it.

but then remember there's basically no combat and lose all motivation.

the one time I played it was amazing though.

vladdamad

Shattered Memories is, to me, exactly what a reboot should be - it takes the core concepts of the franchise and presents them in a different light. Loved everything about this game, even though it wasn't exactly terrifying. The ending is one of the greatest endings in video game history.

DekuLink

I love it, i actually really enjoyed the aspect of not having to shoot your way through enemies, or having to manage sparse ammunition resources.

I'm not sure about this, but speaking of the shadows, to me it looks like pure black polygon models, when looking at how they move, and they look like they kind of float and don't actually "fall" on where they are cast. Anyone who knows more?

I'm replaying it at the moment too. I agree that it is a very good looking for a Wii game. I don't know of any other game Wii game that does real time shadows on everything, Doom 3 style (most likely using a very similar shadow volumes technique). It even has some advantages over Doom 3: There are no loading screens between levels, bigger outdoor areas (still with shadows enabled) and better character models. Then again, Doom 3 is over 11 years old and of course has the big advantage of normal mapping on many surfaces. And the performance gets wonky pretty frequently in SH. Of course the shadowing only ever works for a single light source (flashlight).

So, all in all, a good-looking game on Wii, but it still looks like a Wii game and not like something close to the league of PS360 games, imo.

edit:
I love it, i actually really enjoyed the aspect of not having to shoot your way through enemies, or having to manage sparse ammunition resources.

I'm not sure about this, but speaking of the shadows, to me it looks like pure black polygon models, when looking at how they move, and they look like they kind of float and don't actually "fall" on where they are cast. Anyone who knows more?

I don't have this impression, they seem accurate to me (just the way pure, non-softened shadow volumes look). You're right in that it's most likely based on geometry, but there's nothing wrong with it (simple shadow mapping would look the same, given a sufficient resolution).

SomTervo

I though Downpour sucked. Hard.

Imagine Downpour without any combat (or at least 90% of the enemies removed) and it's an incredibly legit Silent Hill game. I haven't played all of them but I'd say Silent Hill 2 > Silent Hill 1 > Silent Hill Downpour > Silent Hill 3 > Silent Hill 4.

With Downpour they fucked up majorly by making the enemies totally un-fun to fight, but in terms of actual world design, puzzles and story, it is up there with the best. A lot of the time it felt to me like what Alan Wake should have been from the start. Open world survival horror. Edit: I can imagine Downpour being a lot more fun if you played it with an infinite ammo cheat... Edit edit: there isn't one :(

Piers

The sort of sequel I wanted after SH2, which a lot of games felt like were trying to recapture.
Silent Hill doesn't need fog, or radio static, or bloody and dilapidated environments to capture the essence, so it was nice this game struck out in a different approach.

nkarafo

So, all in all, a good-looking game on Wii, but it still looks like a Wii game and not like something close to the league of PS360 games, imo.
But have you ever seen a similar particle system on PS360? Or even PS4Xbone? The snow particles interact with the light source (flashlight) you can clearly see how they shine when you do and they even cast real time shadows. Each and every snow particle has it's own shadow. I haven't seen anything like this since then. It really makes the snowflakes look like they exist in the world.

Great thread. Shattered Memories and Downpour are both highly underrated, and I think both would be regarded more fondly by series purists if people could look past their biases and see them for what they are instead of what they aren't.

SM has a great story, tells it in an original and interesting way, has a ton of atmosphere and exploration, a great soundtrack, fun gameplay mechanics (Harry's iPhone was a fantastic addition) and, most importantly for a reimagining, pays homage to the original while absolutely having its own identity.

I think I'm probably going to play it again in the run up to Christmas.

fabprems

Shattered Memories is, to me, exactly what a reboot should be - it takes the core concepts of the franchise and presents them in a different light. Loved everything about this game, even though it wasn't exactly terrifying. The ending is one of the greatest endings in video game history.

Hmm, I think I would say this game is more a remake than a reboot in a way, cause it doesn't take the franchise and adapt it to a new generation of platform, or players. No, it take a game, and offer some kind of new experience.

GrayChild

I could write an essay on how much I HATE this abomination of a game, but I'm still trying to forget it even exists.

Sometimes I really wonder if this is actually worse than Homecoming and the Pachinko machine. Why is that?

1. Retconing the SH1 plot while trying to pass itself as a canon entry in the franchise.
2. The chase sequences are incredibly dull, frustrating and simply not scary.
3. The monster design is god awful.
4. Some of the puzzles wouldn't feel out of place in a Cooking Mama game. Seriously, the puzzles in this game are insulting to the player's intelligence.
5. The "normal" world is nothing more than a glorified walking simulator. The past Silent Hill games managed to keep constant tension thanks to both the normal world and the Otherworld posing a threat to the player.
6. The story is nothing more than a retelling of SH1 with SH2 styled twist slapped in the end for no reason.

Yes, it looks good (for its respective platform). So do Crysis 3 and The Order: 1886. In the end however, this is nothing more than one of the worst horror games I've ever played, relying on its cheap "psychological profile" gimmick.

Downpour is.

I like Shattered Memories a bit more, but I agree Downpour is better than it gets credit for. It's got some significant technical quibbles (especially if you're sensitive to things like screen tearing and load times--I'm not, thankfully) but they did a lot of neat stuff.

I'm due for a replay of SM soon I guess. Good game. I played through the PSP version too and it wasn't half bad, but Wii is the way to go.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I like Shattered Memories a bit more, but I agree Downpour is better than it gets credit for. It's got some significant technical quibbles (especially if you're sensitive to things like screen tearing and load times--I'm not, thankfully) but they did a lot of neat stuff.

I'm due for a replay of SM soon I guess. Good game. I played through the PSP version too and it wasn't half bad, but Wii is the way to go.

Downpour got a PS3 patch that ironed out most of the kinks, some frame rate and texture hitching is still very prominent though.

Also, SM has a decent-ass PS2 version as well, it's not a port of the Wii version, but the PSP, which is missing lighting and reflections in places etc, but frame rate is a lot better than the PSP version, it also doesn't hitch loading areas either.

I enjoy Downpour for the atmosphere, but man that gameplay sucks and I am still salty for my gamebreaking glitch near the end (with the patch). I kinda like it equal with Shattered Memories, they both do interesting things with the franchise in their own way.

Z3M0G

Yah Downpour was a very well designed Silent Hill game, but with horrible enemy encounters, imo... I HATED the enemies, but loved exploring, the side stories, the atmosphere, etc.

OT, I played Shattered Memories on PSP and it was impressive on that device. I'm sure on Wii it is gorgeous!

I would say both games have the same flaws (enemies) / strengths (everything else)

Sadist

Easily one of the best games on Wii. Possibly the best third party game on the system.

Glad to see GAF has some fans of the game. I remember how this released at the same time together with Heavy Rain in Europe and people calling me crazy for thinking this game is superior to it. Oh well, their loss. Graphicly it's a nice game to look at, but the one thing I'm still super impressed by is how it took the Silent Hill franchise and did it's own thing and mostly succeed at it. For all of the dumb shit pulled by Konami with the franchise, this game is one of the rare good decisions they made. The psych profiling is fun, some changes actually matter and exploring Silent Hill to fit the pieces together is fun.

Yes, the nightmare version and the chase sequences are flawed, but I still find it refreshing. Prefer it over the broken combat from earlier games in the series.

Also, regarding the creatures
It still blows my mind that at first the creatures want to catch you with the use of violence, but when you get closer to the end you'll notice that they're petting Harry...

Top Bottom