• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo |OT3| Remember Reach?

Tawpgun

Those were probably play testers for Halo 4.

Joking aside, this is what worries me about no public beta. I know they have testers at every skill level and are probably bringing in MLG peeps. But they need more. More people with more testing.

Test test test.

Still super disappointed there's no beta. If not public, at least make it available to a few thousand people.

Joking aside, this is what worries me about no public beta. I know they have testers at every skill level and are probably bringing in MLG peeps. But they need more. More people with more testing.

Test test test.

Still super disappointed there's no beta. If not public, at least make it available to a few thousand people.

Being a part of Microsoft they gain access to quite a lot of international testers. Quite a lot.

Tawpgun

Probably not.

Nah they definitely do. If they haven't, they will. Not sure if Halo 2 did it, but Halo 3 and Reach definitely did. They even had MLG players play firefight early in ODST.

MLG is a huge part of Halo and they want to make sure the game is suitable for MLG play. What happened in Reach I don't know...

Besides the obvious balance, map, and gameplay changes they might need to make, they need to stress test the netcode as well.

heckfu

Banned
Nah they definitely do. If they haven't, they will. Not sure if Halo 2 did it, but Halo 3 and Reach definitely did. They even had MLG players play firefight early in ODST.

MLG is a huge part of Halo and they want to make sure the game is suitable for MLG play. What happened in Reach I don't know...

Besides the obvious balance, map, and gameplay changes they might need to make, they need to stress test the netcode as well.

You know how to lose an audience? Back up a point with "Reach definitely did."

Yeah that's why I don't watch any montages unless they're specifically linked here or HBO. Why do Halo players with capture cards have horrible taste in music*?

*Or even if you like that stuff, why would you throw it on something you're trying to get views with? Do you really think every player loves screamo?

There's good stuff out there with screaming vocalists. If someone used August Burns Red, Norma Jean or A Plea for Purging, I would watch it.

Fuchsdh

There's good stuff out there with screaming vocalists. If someone used August Burns Red, Norma Jean or A Plea for Purging, I would watch it.

Ok, fair enough. I myself enjoy some Tom Waits, whose voice sounds like it got lost in a cement mixer for ten years, soaking with alcohol and then set alight.

I dunno how you would classify it, but the singers who just sound... whiny when they do it. Along the lines of Blink-182, but more so. It doesn't matter if their actual music is pretty good, you can kill a song really easily with a bad vocalist.

If I can't understand what you're saying and you're drowning out the music behind you, that's generally a suggestion to tone it down to me.

Test test test.

It didn't solve the issues for Reach, but ultimately I agree.
In a sense not having a beta is a vote of confidence by 343I in their own team, but for us... we have to just wait and hope.

Tawpgun

It didn't solve the issues for Reach, but ultimately I agree.
In a sense not having a beta is a vote of confidence by 343I in their own team, but for us... we have to just wait and hope.

What do you mean it didn't solve issues in Reach?

Could you imagine playing Reach with a slower base speed, lower jump height, Beta Armor Lock, and a 12 bullet DMR?

Ewwww

Overdoziz

Banned
orQW0.png

Hnng

Vespa

This is off-topic but can somebody tell me exactly what Halo CE's (Xbox) horizontal fov is for full screen view? I always assumed it was 90 degrees but I've also read that it's actually 70 which blows my mind. Is there an official statement or source on the matter?

Could you imagine playing Reach with a slower base speed, lower jump height, Beta Armor Lock, and a 12 bullet DMR?

Ewwww
It was an improvement, oh I agree. But we still have a swarth of issues in Reach at every turn. Ultimately it didn't save Reach from being the game I was so unhappy with.

FyreWulff

Ewwww

And vehicles that caught on fire if you looked at them wrong.

The only thing I miss from the beta at this point, when I really think about it:

- The focus rifle's physics impulse (although I can see why they got rid of it)

- The beta hog's handling

Tawpgun

And vehicles that caught on fire if you looked at them wrong.

The only thing I miss from the beta at this point, when I really think about it:

- The focus rifle's physics impulse (although I can see why they got rid of it)

- The beta hog's handling

Only thing I miss is a useful focus rifle and DAT PISTOL.

RIP Beta Pistol.

Beta Carbine was my favourite weapon.

Thinking about the Razer Onza or the MLG controller as a possible solution for however Sprint ends up working out on the controller. I wouldn't say I'm worried, ergonomics of input are a key concern in any game, but it's just something that popped into my mind when I was buying a wired controller for my pc.
Not sure how you came across it, but just ignore it.

Karl2177

Not sure how you came across it, but just ignore it.

Ehh not as fun for me, plus I need to boost how many thanks I've given. And it figures that the one time I decide "Hey, I should go see what Waypoint has put up for Halo 4 news" that there's a thread about GAF.

Aw damn, he edited the title...

Tawpgun

Bungie.net was a bigger community as well.

I don't frequent the waypoint forums enough, but it did seem like Bungie had a bigger presence on bungie.net then 343 has at Waypoint.

But I wouldn't be surprised if 343 started posting more after launch/goes gold. They're still probably crunching for development right now and are super busy.

Recarpo

Was Bungie.net ever like this? I don't recall these kind of threads over there.

I used to be on bungie.net a good deal a few years back and I never remember anything like this. I haven't really been over to the waypoint forums much, is there anything that's actually worth reading there or is it pretty awful at this point?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I think BNet seemed to have more Bungie presence because the forum ninjas posted a lot. They aren't officially Bungie though. You'd get a post from Urk here or there, but it seems to be the same frequency as Frank and Angel post on Waypoint.

Maybe Waypoint just needs a more visible moderator staff that is closer to 343 and can answer some of the easy stuff.

Fuchsdh

I used to be on bungie.net a good deal a few years back and I never remember anything like this. I haven't really been over to the waypoint forums much, is there anything that's actually worth reading there or is it pretty awful at this point?

There's some good, but the thing I hate is every insightful comment is balanced by two or three people who have never read any of the books or actually thought about the game they've just played. If you don't follow the fiction, stop commenting on fiction threads.

I think BNet seemed to have more Bungie presence because the forum ninjas posted a lot. They aren't officially Bungie though. You'd get a post from Urk here or there, but it seems to be the same frequency as Frank and Angel post on Waypoint.

Maybe Waypoint just needs a more visible moderator staff, the is closer to 343 and can answer some of the easy stuff.

Maybe the mods are too busy with podcasts and shenanigans :p

Karl2177

On another discussion front, how would you guys like the achievements in Halo 4 to be handled?

Like 60% Campaign, 40% Spartan Ops, 0% multiplayer. If 343i's previous achievements are anything to go by, I'd rather them leave all MP achievements out of the game.

On another discussion front, how would you guys like the achievements in Halo 4 to be handled?

Like 60% Campaign, 40% Spartan Ops, 0% multiplayer. If 343i's previous achievements are anything to go by, I'd rather them leave all MP achievements out of the game.

I want one multiplayer achievement. "Ceiling Broken"

All the negative talk on grunts is making me dislike the new design. Specifically Ghaleon's post made me realize, how far off the mark it is.

They look like Wretches with methane tanks. When you look at the trilogy/Reach Grunts, their 'skin' is an exoskeleton. In Halo 4, it's skin.

Tawpgun

When you look at the trilogy/Reach Grunts, their 'skin' is an exoskeleton. In Halo 4, it's skin.
Same with Elites.

Not digging the skin. Maybe its explanied that they are rogue or something but I don't dig it so far.

Those scales are what annoy me the most. Straight out of Gears.

I just hope they have some clever ones. Or fun ones, thought of by a tired engineer in August when they're in super heavy crunch.
Not to imply their current crunch is not super tough.
All the negative talk on grunts is making me dislike the new design. Specifically Ghaleon's post made me realize, how far off the mark it is.
Sad ultimately, but glad I'm not alone in my opinion.

FyreWulff

I want one multiplayer achievement. "Ceiling Broken"

They look like Wretches with methane tanks. When you look at the trilogy/Reach Grunts, their 'skin' is an exoskeleton. In Halo 4, it's skin.

I think I just realized why the Elites look so weird now. In 3 they (apparently) have something to an exoskin/exoskeleton that they're wearing. Apparently their actual skin is supposed to look like a jackal's now.

Skinsuit?

fyrecommando.jpg
juschillin.jpg

Now actual skin with hot topic semi-transparent sleeves:

Their legs still have the skinsuit. It's kind of a Gears 3-ish "let's show their arms now" decision.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I like the grunts and love the elites. I'd bet this is not the only grunt type either, depending on how many of them will be in the story.

Top Bottom