• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jonathan Blow Criticizes MS’s Claim of Increasing Servers to 300K, Calls It A Lie!

Theres a difference between online multiplayer and single player. For multiplayer you have to be online. For single player you shouldnt have to be.

Of course, but in order for "the cloud" to work, you need to be online as well. That's why I really don't like this whole "cloud" terminology. People lose sight of the fact that it's nothing else but a network connection to a bunch of servers. No fairies, no unicorns, no magic involved - just math.

I wonder that too. Braid was a Xbox360 exclusive for a year, so what happened that it has come to this point.

He was on an E3 Giantbombcast and the guy was clearly not a Microsoft fan. Seems a number of things went awry...or at least didn't go in a way that he thought should make sense with Braid being on 360.

He seems to be intolerant of inefficiency and corporate bullshit.

Which would most likely put him in the opposite corner that Microsoft is in.

kitch9

Banned
Blow is just full of shit. The "more computing power than the whole of 1999" claim already proves that those aren't virtual servers but instead 300.000 actual servers running dozens of virtual servers each. And it's not that hard to believe either when Azure currently uses much more than 1.000.000 servers for what it does right now (with as much as 400.000 servers in Ireland alone). I hoped with the death of F5 the "my exclusive partner is better than yours" talk would've stopped but here we are and exclusive developers are still talking shit about other platforms they haven't even worked on.

It's infinite power dude.

Infinite.

My 10mb connection is ready for infinite powers. (Provided infinite powers doesn't need more than 850KB per second.)

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'd still like someone to explain to me how cloud computing will improve the performance of games.

Same as you then?

You are guessing he doesn't know anything. A game developer who doesn't know anything about developing games.

Interesting.

What does his claim have to do with game development? It's pretty clear from his tweets that he's not speaking from an informed position on whether MS are indeed lying or not.

He's positing a theory that MS are lying and the 300k servers are actually virtual. Nothing more, which is why he says he hopes someone calls their bluff. It's likely he knows about as much as us.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Even if it is real, how can it be a viable option? A lot of people don't have unlimited bandwidth.

Same as you then?

You are guessing he doesn't know anything. A game developer who doesn't know anything about developing games.

Interesting.

He knows about developing games, but he is talking about internal Microsoft affairs. If the servers are virtual that will mean he is partially right. I would discuss Cloud Computing but I have no idea what that means.

EvB

Google runs the second and third biggest websites in the world plus tons of web and android apps like Gmail and Google Drive. Youtube alone streams 4-5 billion hours of video a month. Xbox Live is a tiny service in comparison. We're talking low tens of millions of users vs over a billion users.

True , I'm just saying that its not an unfeasable number of servers. If what they say is true about their current number of servers for XBL, surely it makes sense that they will require more servers as they move towards a service that is ever more reliant on it?

Much of the kinect voice recognition is done server side, not only see they going to have more users using that, but they are going to have it used far more frequently.

aeolist

Banned
What does his claim have to do with game development? It's pretty clear from his tweets that he's not speaking from an informed position on whether MS are indeed lying or not.

He's positing a theory that MS are lying and the 300k servers are actually virtual. Nothing more, which is why he says he hopes someone calls their bluff. It's likely he knows about as much as us.

azure is IaaS/PaaS (infrastructure/platform as a service)

which means that you can run your own virtualized server OS or pick from a set of supported OS virtual hard drives

the entire thing is virtualized

it runs on microsoft's hyper-V platform

IT IS A BUNCH OF VIRTUAL SERVERS

Im not a fan of this guy. he seems to be talking a lot of shit - i dont think he is qualified to post on the legitimacy of these claims, even if he has made a mediocre indie game.

Always interesting how people on forums love yelling out their opinions, but when somebody more in the spotlight does it, it's somehow wrong, and a disservice.

Let the guy have his opinion, for fucks sake.

That's what being Indie is all about.

azure is IaaS/PaaS (infrastructure/platform as a service)

which means that you can run your own virtualized server OS or pick from a set of supported OS virtual hard drives

the entire thing is virtualized

it runs on microsoft's hyper-V platform

IT IS A BUNCH OF VIRTUAL SERVERS

If this is true, wouldn't the claims of dedicated servers likely be a lie as well?

Dunlop

Im not a fan of this guy. he seems to be talking a lot of shit - i dont think he is qualified to post on the legitimacy of these claims, even if he has made a mediocre indie game.
Me thinks his 15 minutes off fame from the Sony conference MIGHT have gone to his head. He has just sounds like a Sony shill since then

pixlexic

Banned
Always interesting how people on forums love yelling out their opinions, but when somebody more in the spotlight does it, it's somehow wrong, and a disservice.

Let the guy have his opinion, for fucks sake.

That's what being Indie is all about.

Being an indie is about making money doing something you love and wasn't it MS that gave him the break on braid? I bet he was not so opinionated back then.

aeolist

Banned
If this is true, wouldn't the claims of dedicated servers likely be a lie as well?

well dedicated in the absolute sense, sure, because the physical server hosting the match will be doing other things at the same time but the amount of resources available means that this won't really make much of a difference. it will be a lot better than p2p

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It just made him more salty that Microsoft didn't give him, Johnathan Blow, a dev kit. Probably pissed him off more that he even had to ask for one.

Or he might be turned off like many other devs who have echoed sentiments that haven't been exactly complimentary of Microsoft's practices.

Blow is no idiot. And he's right; all this "the cloud can make Xbone even more powerful" stuff is complete and utter nonsense.

Buying a new console based on its supposed future power with "the cloud"?

Yeah, you do that.

Valkyria

Banned
It's fun to see the corporate apologist in this thread belittling him because "he is on a vendetta."

There is surely a defence force force for everything.

LegoArmo

Oops wrong thread.

I did doubt Microsoft's claim though, and the whole power of the cloud stuff. Don't think I like the idea of an always connected future.

Blow is just full of shit. The "more computing power than the whole of 1999" claim already proves that those aren't virtual servers but instead 300.000 actual servers running dozens of virtual servers each. And it's not that hard to believe either when Azure currently uses much more than 1.000.000 servers for what it does right now (with as much as 400.000 servers in Ireland alone). I hoped with the death of F5 the "my exclusive partner is better than yours" talk would've stopped but here we are and exclusive developers are still talking shit about other platforms they haven't even worked on.

Listen to this guy, everyone, he's an expert.

And? Corporations, like politicians, lie all the time. The world is awash in bullshit.

I never claimed they don't. I also didn't claim MS weren't lying. I only asked not to take his claims as fact.

well dedicated in the absolute sense, sure, because the physical server hosting the match will be doing other things at the same time but the amount of resources available means that this won't really make much of a difference. it will be a lot better than p2p

Ah, thanks. So essentially using the term liberally? Standard practice then.

BigDes

Or he might be turned off like many other devs who have echoed sentiments that haven't been exactly complimentary of Microsoft's practices.

No, no it's just jealousy

Afterall there is no way someone could legitimately be critical of a major corporation. No way.

Gadirok

He really seems to be on the agressive against MS alot now.

I think the timed exclusive thing with Sony was very subtle too, just in spite of MS on his terms. I heard about it on gaf a few months ago, might have to google that bit again.

Synless

I've never heard of this guy before, yet in the last week or so I swear I have seen three thread titles with his name on it. Who is he and why should I care what he says?

It doesn't matter how many servers Microsoft has, virtualized or not. What they are suggesting is capable with the technology isn't a processing boost, but a fundamental change in the nature of the entire Internet. It is pure bullshit.

aeolist

Banned
Ah, thanks. So essentially using the term liberally? Standard practice then.

well saying it's not a dedicated mp server is technically true but really nitpicking. it's not a machine that's running the game at the same time so it's fine to call it dedicated. this is really the one part of microsoft's whole "cloud" announcement that's definitively a good thing, though it's funny that it's only catching them up to where the PC and PS3/4 already were

BigDes

I've never heard of this guy before, yet in the last week or so I swear I have seen three thread titles with his name on it. Who is he and why should I care what he says?

He made Braid

Is probably at least somewhat responsible (along with Notch) for the rising importance and popularity of indie games this generation.

Gadirok

You don't remember him on February 20th when he came up on stage? What about Braid?

That's when I started paying more attention to the guy.

That and when he falls for massive bait on the PS Blog when someone called him game generic puzzle after puzzle and he followed up by complaining about the same thing with FPS. I really hoped he wasn't going to reply to that and he fell for it. Looks very childish and he should have just walked away.

aeolist

Banned

he made braid and was one of the founding partners of the indie fund (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indie_Fund) which has helped a lot of other developers get their project done without onerous publishing terms

he is currently making the witness which looks a lot like myst

The whole conference was filled with half-truths like this. They mentioned the number of transistors in the console (or something else irrelevant), the EA stuff was target renders, the kinect demo was staged, etc etc. They never Lied, they're just being deceptive.

And looking at their no indie publishing policy, he has reason to be annoyed.

Isn't this guy making Witness and shit?

Honestly why would he even care man, game looked like ass. Could be done on my 3 year old GPU.

Top Bottom