• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else disappointed with Destiny 2 reveal?

D3VI0US

Did you play Taken King?

Oh you mean the expansion where you go to the same spots to do the same shit and fight the same enemies except they glow white now and have marginally better AI? Yeah I played it, I wanted to like it and everyone said it was such an improvement. I didn't stick with it though cause it was still Destiny and I am not a fan.

I was also hoping for more classes. Bring back the three originals, and maybe have three more new classes.

Maybe it is intentional and more classes will be included in expansions to Destiny 2.

what are people expecting exactly and why point the finger at this game, its no different than any other franchise.
People are expecting Halo -> Halo 2, they expect graphical improvements and new gameplay elements. At the very least they expect some change which destiny 2 isn't showing.

I love Destiny having never played an online game throughout my life this experience changed quite a bit for me, especially the social aspect.

I understand the disappointment that many experience here since their expectations have been quite lofty, maybe they all have had better social experiences in gaming overall...For a regular player like myself I just need some content that my friends and I can plough through and create memories that we can share that's it.

I maybe in minority here but the simplicity of social gaming has never been as smooth as destiny.

This is a huge focus for Bungie as well, and one of the reasons I go back to Destiny time and time again rather than other games.

https://www.theverge.com/2017/5/19/15663348/destiny-2-bungie-guided-games-social-work-life-balance

Chung says that, above all, Destiny 2 is aimed at nurturing the series’ tight-knit community. “We had a hunch about this game being about the community,” she says. Prior to release, Bungie had no idea the Destiny would inspire a 300,000-plus subreddit or real-life meet-ups or dedicated cosplay. That’s not to mention the scores of personal stories about friendships made, family bonds strengthened, and even an in-game marriage proposal. Now — three years later and with a legion of fans who play Destiny as devoutly as some of the longest-running MMOs — it seems clear that without its social fabric, the game would be just another flashy shooter.

30 fps on consoles and 4v4 pvp pretty much ruined it for me. Not that I expected 60 fps, but the 4v4 was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Edit: and I just saw no dedicated servers? WTF Bungie? This is like letdown after letdown.

I can see it because I know what to look for and where to look for. How do you think NX Gamer and Digitalfoundry figure out most of the stuff considering not everything is detailed by the developers? When you spend time reading about techniques, what it does, what it looks like you can spot it. And no Destiny 1 didn't have those.

If you can't see something and need confirmation from developers to know it's in the game then is there even the point of an upgrade ?

Btw are you basing this off the story mission demo? (Where the player was a solar warlock fighting in the tower)

Because I read that that footage was taken from the PC version.

There's footage captured from the PS4 on YouTube of a Strike mission and PVP. The graphics do not look as good in those videos compared to the story mission demo.

Although the graphics are still better than D1 for sure.

I love Destiny having never played an online game throughout my life this experience changed quite a bit for me, especially the social aspect.

I understand the disappointment that many experience here since their expectations have been quite lofty, maybe they all have had better social experiences in gaming overall...For a regular player like myself I just need some content that my friends and I can plough through and create memories that we can share that's it.

I maybe in minority here but the simplicity of social gaming has never been as smooth as destiny.
The lofty expectations were created by Bungie promising a ton of stuff that they under delivered on.

Mindwipe

I was a bit disappointed that it didn't seem to do more to bring players together more organically.

It's really not clear if the zones are going to have more going on - more enemies, and more players, which is really needed. The zones in Destiny 1 are wayyyy too empty. There are too many times when a public event happens and there's no-one around. I was hoping zones are going to have a dozen players in line of site generally, and make it much easier for them to form ad-hoc groups in real time to go and do stuff, and for that stuff to be useful - to reward loot that's actually worth having, throughout the entire game cycle.

I'm not sure I saw enough of that. Just baby steps towards it for raids, but not the fundamental revisiting that's needed.

void666

Banned
I didn't have unrealistic expectations. So, no.
It's more content for the game i love. Call it Destiny 2, 1.5, expansion pack or whatever.

Zakalwe

Banned
I don't mind it being a FPS MMO hybrid it just needs more content and the zones need to be more...populated. The game felt way too barren for me.

Well, everything they said indicates they understand this and have fixed it.

Of course, I wouldn't blame you for being sceptical about Bungie's word.

Floex

Yep, very underwhelmed. After hearing rumours of a new engine, I thought for sure we would see 60fps, at least in Crucible. Time will tell but the reveal didn't really show anything new that D2 brings to the table.

I truly hope they have sorted out the content issue this time because that will be its saving grace.

nOoblet16

Btw are you basing this off the story mission demo? (Where the player was a solar warlock fighting in the tower)

Because I read that that footage was taken from the PC version.

There's footage captured from the PS4 on YouTube of a Strike mission and PVP. The graphics do not look as good in those videos compared to the story mission demo.

Although the graphics are still better than D1 for sure.
Yea the story demo.
And was it PC? I'm not quite sure cause every captured footage we have is from PS4 and they weren't really allowed to capture PC footage.

Plus it was 30FPS.

cripterion

can i start a "how many of you were disappointed but are still gonna buy Destiny 2" thread? i feel like thats relevant.

Obviously I'll get it since it comes out on pc and will correct some of the gripes I had with the first game. No, a 30fps shooter doesn't feel good.

Gator86

can i start a "how many of you were disappointed but are still gonna buy Destiny 2" thread? i feel like thats relevant.

I'm in that bucket. I'm pretty meh on it right now, but all my close friends are buying it and playing with them is one of the best things about gaming. If they weren't buying it, I'd be out based on D1 and what they've shown so far of D2.

Zakalwe

Banned
Obviously I'll get it since it comes out on pc and will correct some of the gripes I had with the first game. No, a 30fps shooter doesn't feel good.

I'm a huge advocate for a 60fps standard, especially for FPSs, but D1 felt really good even at 30fps.

Gav47

Leaving the old content behind seems even more baffling to me after the reveal, I hope they re-add them as free updates at some point, the cosmodrome is one of my favourite places in gaming.

ByWatterson

People are disappointed because there appears to be not one meaningful change in any of the systems in the game. Creatively, I don't see any reason why this is a sequel and not an expansion.

This hard break (complete with character wipes) should not have been used as an opportunity to perfect the massively-flawed thing, but instead to start fresh and see how much of the original vision should be revived, combined with the things that worked well. They intimated a hard break with the character wipes, but have given us no break at all.

An established franchise should be a permission slip to experiment, not a license to pump out the same old same old.

Looks good to me.. question is how will it be supported after release. I wasn't feeling the dlc logistics for the first game. Somehow they need to keep D2 fresh and the content flowing. I wouldn't mind how Overwatch does it when it comes to content and events.

With that being said, D1 was one of the best playing shooters ever to me. Just the grind was too real.

Kibe

Neo Member
Because I can see it as I know what to look for and where to look for. How do you think NX Gamer and Digitalfoundry figure out most of the stuff considering not everything is detailed by the developers and often they don't even have any documents released by developers? It's educated guesses made by analysing information based on what's available and what you know and more often than not they are correct because there are only so many ways you can achieve something. When you spend time reading about techniques, what it does, what it looks like you can spot it. And no Destiny 1 didn't have those Bokeh or GPU particles or a full fledged PBR implementation.

You can spot all these effects with a trained eye, you can spot if the geometry is higher by comparing the density and how angular things look etc etc.

If you can't see something and need confirmation from developers to know it's in the game then is there even the point of an upgrade ?

As for how can I tell it's better, I have played 1000+ hours of Destiny. I'm extremely familiar with the game, the graphical techniques it has to offer, it's drawbacks etc. and as such I can form comparisons based on it when I see something upgraded.

I understand you can tell by just looking at it, I work in the industry as well. That's why I'm asking if they've announced something.

Since neither you nor me have played the new game, I find it extremely naive to expect all these upgrades in the game. Watching videos is completely different. Digitalfoundry has special tools to check frame times and rate, as well as great videos to analyze lighting and shadows, AO and all the other cool stuff.

I have never played Destiny, that's why I'm curious to know how much it changed, because so far it doesn't look like much.

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Speaking from the perspective of someone who has over 2500 hours into Destiny 1...

I'm very disappointed about 4v4 across all Crucible modes. I liked 6v6 because it was a place to relax and have fun, and our clan could jump into it for a few rounds after a raid and have a good time together. It was also a mode that could support a wider range of skill levels within the same game, because each person's individual contribution didn't matter as much to the team's overall success.

I liked 3v3 for the opposite reason... each person's performance mattered significantly. It was where you went to challenge yourself, and where you gave it your all.

4v4 waters down what I liked about having the option between 6s and 3s. Now every match is going to be a sweat fest. Now, single queuers are going to face even more full groups on a regular basis and get steamrolled. Now, you won't be able to just relax in crucible as your individual performance will always matter more. Now you need an even bigger team of reliable people for Trials. Now, Trials carries are going to be even more prevalent at crushing borderline teams who might otherwise make it through.

I definitely get the impression that 4v4 across the board was a change made to cater to the competitive scene, and to balance Destiny with other competitive FPS franchise. I don't like it. It takes away from what made Destiny unique. It seems to cater to a niche audience with a specific focus, and Destiny is a mass market game that attracts a very wide variety of gamers.

I'm also not thrilled with the idea of two primaries and a power weapon in PVP. I like that each of the three slots in Destiny 1 has unique weapon types, forcing you to use more types of weapons across your build. I'm of the opinion that the further we got into Destiny, and the more they tried to balance crucible, the worse crucible got. This seems like the latest change in that process, and it doesn't sound good to me. It also feels like crucible yet again screwing over PvE... I have to choose between a sniper and a rocket launcher now? Meh. Ultimately I'm more willing to give this a chance than the 4v4 change, but I'm not feeling good about it currently.

...other than that, I loved what I saw at the reveal. All I really wanted for Destiny 2 was for it to be an extension of Destiny 1. Keep the "feel" of the gunplay and the character movement. Rework some of the obtuse gameplay systems from the first game. Add new content. That's it... that's all I wanted. I am still hoping to see more enemy factions introduced - something that's completely new from Destiny 1. I don't need any new classes, races, subclasses, or anything like that though - totally happy with what we have now.

cripterion

I'm a huge advocate for a 60fps standard, especially for FPSs, but D1 felt really good even at 30fps.

I couldn't get back to it after playing other pc shooters, it felt way to slow. If I only played that maybe.. Thankfully it won't be a problem with the sequel.

The lack of innovation seems to warrant this more worthy of an expansion title than a full blown sequel.

After being burned with Destiny, I was fully prepared to jump right back on the Bungie fan-mobile again. So yeah, I'm honestly surprised how disappointed I am haha.

Zakalwe

Banned
People are disappointed because there appears to be not one meaningful change in any of the systems in the game. Creatively, I don't see any reason why this is a sequel and not an expansion.

This hard break (complete with character wipes) should not have been used as an opportunity to perfect the massively-flawed thing, but instead to start fresh and see how much of the original vision should be revived, combined with the things that worked well. They intimated a hard break with the character wipes, but have given us no break at all.

An established franchise should be a permission slip to experiment, not a license to pump out the same old same old.

Sequels can simply be refinements and additions and still be great.

I don't think i'm disappointed, but i was for sure not impressed. I expected more from them, but yeah, looks like some big expansion.

Hope they'll show more at E3.

Basically this.

I'm not buying the reasons/excuses for a lot of their decisions that the hardcore fans are eating up.

-I have no interest in crucible if the matches are any smaller than 8v8 for numerous reasons. Their reasons given sound a lot like they're being way too heavy handed with controlling the gameplay experience and extinguishing the thrill of the unexpected that I crave when jumping into a large match with random people on the internet. And if I was in a clan I would find it dumb that we could only have 4 of us on a team max at once. I'm sure they will add modes later on like they did with D1 but until then I guess no more crucible for me.

-Was hoping for larger fireteams so two couples could play all together outside of a raid, but I guess that's a no go. Guess it doesn't matter much to me anymore since me and my ex split up. Would still be nice.

-Don't notice anything immediately nicer about the graphics, which means I will likely need to have it running on my TV in front of me to see, but that's not a good look for a long awaited sequel that dropped last gen consoles.

-60fps would have been nice but I respect their decision. Hopefully when I see it in person it will look more upgraded and make the 30fps sting a little less.

-Was really hoping for vehicles to be a bigger factor than they were in D1. They may yet be, but it seems like something they would have mentioned during the reveal if that were the case.

-Seems like they want to make the already-diehard-Destiny-fans happy and convincing new players and/or those that didn't like D1 is an afterthought. Can't say I agree with that mentality.

-Other stuff like weapon load out changes, Battle.net, etc don't really factor into my impressions really. Not good or bad, just interesting I guess. The larger patrol maps was expected, as were new planet things and missions etc.

So it's about half and half between me having hopes that were dashed and being a little annoyed with the choices they made. I'm still going to get it and do as much as I can solo, but I don't see myself playing this religiously like I did with the first. Hope I'm wrong.

Ugh I keep being reminded of the 4v4 max in pvp. What a stupid decision. Definitely the worst thing about any of it for me. They actually dropped the maximum from D1. Fucking why?

They really should have made the eventual expansions and dlc for this game free to prevent the player base from splitting. I was really hoping they'd have learned from titanfall 2, halo 5, and battlefront 2 which are doing it right.
Based on their $200 ultimate edition that's not happening.

Dineren

Banned
Ugh I keep being reminded of the 4v4 max in pvp. What a stupid decision. Definitely the worst thing about any of it for me. They actually dropped the maximum from D1. Fucking why?

The more I think about it, the more bummed I am about this. I definitely won't be playing as much PVP this time around.

nOoblet16

I understand you can tell by just looking at it, I work in the industry as well. That's why I'm asking if they've announced something.

Since neither you nor me have played the new game, I find it extremely naive to expect all these upgrades in the game. Watching videos is completely different. Digitalfoundry has special tools to check frame times and rate, as well as great videos to analyze lighting and shadows, AO and all the other cool stuff.

I have never played Destiny, that's why I'm curious to know how much it changed, because so far it doesn't look like much.
No tools to analyze lighting and effects though. It's really not naive when I can clearly see the effects I am talking about. A better quality video will only mean I spot even more things, things that I chose not to comment on because I couldn't see then properly. But I don't need a better quality video than what's available to see that there's Bokeh filter in the game, that the particle effects have received an upgrade, that the environment is denser, that the lighting is better (that neon lit area for example, in my 1000 hours of Destiny I've not seen anything close to that)

JeffZero

Purple Drazi
I suppose so. I never played the first game, though. I love space opera, but I want story in the games I play, and Destiny didn't grab me. I was hardly paying attention to this, but an increase on narrative and cinematic effort might have won me over.

Symbiotx

I feel this this is one of those things that people are focusing on the numbers rather than how the game actually plays. I was bummed about this at first too, but I watched the 4v4 gameplay on the new game mode, and it seems perfect in that context. They slowed the pace down by cutting skating, made the maps have more corridors and buildings, and it seems a lot more intimate.

I definitely want to see more like how control will be, but so far the actual gameplay looks awesome.

Kibe

Neo Member
No tools to analyze lighting and effects though. It's really not naive when I can clearly see the effects I am talking about. A better quality video will only mean I spot even more things, things that I chose not to comment on because I couldn't see then properly. But I don't need a better quality video than what's available to see that there's Bokeh filter in the game, that the particle effects have received an upgrade, that the environment is denser, that the lighting is better (that neon lit area for example, in my 1000 hours of Destiny I've not seen anything close to that)

That's nice...Can you point me to a video showing the bokeh? I really like the effect.

I believe you in the particles, they do seem more present than in the old game.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
Well yeah, it's coming out late on PC with P2P servers, it's hard to get hyped for that.

Lothars

IT'S JUST A BETA! All over again.

Destiny as a whole, is a lot better than it was at launch so I have some faith that they'll be able to offer a substantial product. The community is ass and fickle altogether, though. Its like the worst traits of nerds fused together.
considering most of the posts attacking the game lack any substance other than haha this is destiny 1.5 with not actually valid arguments than yeah it's hard to take it seriously.

Heck the only thing I've seen that is a big negative is the lack of dedicated servers that is dissapointing.

If making money means something is good, then that's news to me.

Of course Destiny 2 will sell well.
Considering destiny 1 is a great game, I have no doubt that destiny 2 will be great as well.

Oresama

I was blown away by the story mission, and meh on the strike and crucible gameplay.

Datto says the strikes follow a very similar formula to D1, and he says the crucible seems very similar to D1 if not slightly slower.

Could've used 1 or 2 new classes.

The level designs seem very familiar too to what I remembered in D1, and IGN's Jose Otero made mention of it post reveal so I know it wasn't just me.

Nydius

I went in with low expectations so it didn't take much to exceed them. The things I found most disappointing were the reduction in PvP down to 4v4 across all gametypes (at least for now) and the lack of dedicated servers. I suppose one could argue that the latter is less important due to the former but it still means PVP is going to be negatively impacted by bad connections and people will still find ways to exploit network connections to their advantage if they're so inclined.

But 4v4 in 2017 just kills me, especially after they spent so much time talking up how much bigger in scope the game and social elements are going to be. If they want a 4v4 mode, I'm all for that. Put it in. But with this focus on increasing clans and making more friends, PvP should be adding larger scale battles, even things like clan wars, rather than shrinking.

I do agree with those who were nonplussed with the strike footage. You could have told me that was a re-designed area of the helix on Venus and I would have totally believed it. Unfortunately, that is a problem with the design of the Vex.

What people need to realize first of all is that this was only the initial reveal. Second, Destiny is a service game that will be getting multiple large scale content updates and features added over the next several years.

By all measures it looks like Bungie has made good on a lot of the lessons that they learned from Destiny. What we are seeing with the Cabal and so on is only the first chapter. We will have tons of expansions of D2, both large and small. We know that the first two expansions deal with Osiris and Rasputin, respectively.

There are plenty of other plots I expect to see Bungie follow in the future including...

- Exploring The Nine
- The Ahankara
- The siblings of Oryx

As well as other completely new threats and developments that we haven't been introduced to get. More will come. Destiny is a journey, not a destination. I'm positive that Bungie will put forward a strong road map for Destiny 2 that will dwarf the original Destiny's.

Top Bottom